Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I'm pretty drat impressed with the N86's camera after some low-light party atmosphere shooting this weekend. The quality isn't going to win any pulitzers, and the LED flash isn't great at freezing action shots (or beerpong shots, as the case may be) but it's miles ahead of any other cellphone camera I've used in terms of crispness and visibility in less-than-ideal lighting conditions.

I do wish they'd gone with a better camera button, though. The mid-press focus "clicks" nicely, but the full press is very stiff and requires you to brace the camera pretty firmly, which has led to more than a few blurred shots that I had to re-take.

edit: Also, Furtiv make the phone's "share online" functionality actually worth a drat. I wish Nokia was smart enough to integrate Facebook and Twitter uploading into their software from the outset, but at least there's a third party solution which gets the same results.

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

more of a general s60 question: Is it possible to set a certain app as the "default" app for an S60 function? For example, if I receive a text message or email with a URL and select "Open URL", is there a way to make the phone open it in Opera Mini instead of Nokia's built-in browser?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Opera Mini, no.
Opera Mobile, maybe. Never used it though.

drat. I'll give Mobile a try today. I'm assuming the same would be true for third-party music players, navigation apps, etc?

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 16, 2009

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Every unboxing video should have a puppet bird

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

corpsed posted:

Recorded with a black Nokia N86 from SA-Mart.

making constant use of the impressively smooth digital zoom

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

It looks just like the E72 except the middle part is silver???

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Firmware update for the N86 is out (not in NAM regions yet :()

No official changelog that I've found, but the comments on AAS's article are promising

quote:

Ok, so I've installed the new firmware, and here are the first noticable changes:

Theme Effects : now working very nice and actually quite fast, from my point of view!

GPS Lock without Assistance: The GPS locks my current position in about 5 seconds, utterly fast, and without using any assistance at all!

Real Player fullscreen keys: Still not working, at least on my phone.

Music visualisation slugger: Still there.

Overall, it seems like a better experience, the phone is just a little bit more responsive, the remaining bugs are way too minor to affect the user. Another noticed change would be the camera's focus speed, I think it's faster, too. That and the face detection, that works faster also.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

v21 firmware seems to be available for all NAM N86 product codes, finally.

Theme effects are no longer laggy as poo poo, and actually look quite good, in addition to the UI being generally snappier. Camera also seems to focus a smidge faster than before. I wish it had shipped like this (but then maybe corpsed wouldn't have sold it to me)

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2010

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Those are pretty drat promising specs. Hopefully they get it out in time so that they're still "top of the line" when it's actually released.

I definitely hope the HDMI-out thing is true. Any phone that can record at that high definition really needs that feature, and this would be one step towards helping it becomes standard.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The C series is supposed to be their midrange (less fancy than N-series, even), but the features you list are kind of standard now, so it could very well be "the phone" if you're looking for something on the cheap.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

It's a very capable application, and now that there's free turn-by-turn navigation on it, I prefer it (very slightly) to google maps. Functionally they're almost identical; the main difference is having to pre-load maps once in ovi as opposed to downloading them on the fly with google. With the amount of space most modern models offer, I rather prefer the former.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The design does look pretty bland, and the fact that there's only a single button on the face just kind of...sitting there on the left side doesn't do much for aesthetics. Also, camera module cold jutting out of the backside with no lens cover in sight? seems like a pretty big digression. The two screw heads being plainly visible on the case makes me think (hope) this isn't a final design.

On the other hand, seeing capacitive touch and xenon in the spec list is promising, and hopefully they'll roll out the same tech to other models (slide qwerty, please?)

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Well you can have your N86 back

when you pry it from my cold, dead thumbs :clint:

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I wish I had been dreaming when the locations of all my app icons reset, after i'd spent a solid half hour carefully sorting them into folders by function and frequency of use :smithicide:

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

mobbler is spectacular. also i have just discovered these ""pod cast" things and i wonder how i ever did 45 minutes of cardio without them. even though i am starting to suspect the built in podcast app is pretty inferior (no listing for Radiolab or This American Life?? what the hell nokia

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I literally just tried it out for the first time tonight, I haven't tried anything else. I was just surprised that it has a bunch of NPR programming preloaded as bookmarks but not the two i mentioned.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Nokia Conversation never worked properly on my N86, and apparently Nokia is aware of the problem but hasn't bothered to fix it.

I haven't tried freeiSMS "business edition", but the free version is delightful after you go through the trouble of signing it. If the pay version comes pre-signed, it's definitely worth 12

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Though the phone itself doesn't interest me in the least, it's nice to see them putting those features (xenon flash, larger sensor, hd recording, hdmi output) in their apparent flagship so that other phones (probably not from Nokia, I'm guessing!) will follow suit. maybe

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

If anyone other than me still has a N86, the 30.009 firmware finally dropped for NAM product codes today. Not noticing any significant changes other than the email app seeming a bit faster (finally). It doesn't seem to have broken anything, so it's probably worth the update.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Couple of bits of news:

1) N8 will have divx support

2) A pdf on software strategy
http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/Technology/pdf/nokia_software_strategy_white_paper.pdf?refresh

3) Saw this today
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/nokias-17-model-house-reveals-a-smokin-s-series-n9-meego/

S:The S Series is reserved for a limited number of phones which didn't fit in any of the other products series.

N:The N Series includes the most innovative and technologically advanced mobiles (NSeries)

E:The E Series focus on business and productivity (push email, battery life,...)

X:The X Series focus on entertainment and social networks with a younger target.

C:The C Series is the heart of Nokia range

1-3 is S40
5-8 is Symbian
9 is Meego

The N9 is the rumored successor to the N900, right? I think this would be the first time it's shown up in official docs. The N8 didn't do much for me, but a N900 with capacitive touch and the N8's camera on the other hand..

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

siiick http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9_leaks_through_an_uninspiring_video_teaser-news-1735.php

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Noctone posted:

Yeah a possibly fake video of a phone that, if real, won't be available until sometime between forever and eternity. How exciting.

that's why it's so sick. Can't stop hurlin

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

to illustrate the point-

Nokia Conversations doesn't work at all on most N86 models. There have been hundreds of posts on every official nokia support forum reporting the problem over the past year. 4 firmware updates later, it's still broken.

They invested (presumably) a fair amount of resources into designing a threaded messaging app for S60v3, something that would help make even their older-style non-touchscreen phones seem modern and socially connected. Then they completely failed to support their flagship non-touchscreen phone with it. Then they quietly discontinued the N86 not even a year after it launched in NAM.

Hardware and design-wise, the N86 is just right. Unfortunately, the software is a mess. I have not yet been spoiled by a modern touch interface phone, and even I can tell Symbian is 2-3 years behind the pack. I hear the touch version of it is worse. There are a dozen little frustrations I encounter whenever I try to use the phone for anything, and I have to wonder how S60 was ever on top. I guess there just didn't used to be any better alternatives.

I don't have any confidence this company can change its ways, even with maemo/meego around the corner. If anyone can find a way to gently caress that up, it's Nokia.

I'll keep using the N86 for a while longer, because despite all the software shittiness, it's still a cool little phone. But I can almost guarantee I won't be buying a Nokia again.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

Nokkkia N8 available for preorder. Only $549!!!
http://store.nokia.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10500_10101_-1_10000675

What a steal!!

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The carefully sorted app icons on my N86 just randomly reset and all moved back into the Applications folder for the fourth fuckin time, so I'll be tossing this thing as soon as I find a better smartphone with similar hardware features to replace it.

Any ideas? :sigh:

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Noxious posted:

Looks like the Conversations App from beta labs was closed. People are pretty upset. I didn't realize Nokia had such a poor rep in the application department. Oh well... The free ISMS looks pretty good and it's still free for the unsigned version.

You're in luck-- it never worked on half of their phones to begin with!!

free iSMS is pretty nice. I recommend getting the pay version though, it's worth it for the better software integration and fewer glitches/quirks with message notification

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Civil posted:

I hope you forgive me if I bask in your pain for a bit, but this brings me back to my S60 days. I think that the only advantage that the symbian phones have is that they have a good camera built into them. There is literally no other advantage to going with one - every other aspect of the hardware and software (and support) is a throwback to 5 years ago.

That's pretty much where I am with the N86 at the moment!! Of course, it was unsupported almost right out of the box, but somehow the firmware updates they've actually managed to release (the last one coming up on a year ago) have only broken the phone more

I had to uninstall all nonessential services, including ovi maps, just to keep the OS from popping an "out of memory" error every five seconds. Might have something to do with the phone packing roughly the same amount of ram as my old TI-83+ (at least the calculator let me garbagecollect when it got overloaded)

But you're right, it does take great photos. A shame nothing I've shot in the past month shows up in the gallery, seemingly because it decided to replace everything from 2011 with random photos from 2009 :unsmigghh:

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 31, 2011

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

whatever7 posted:

With all due respect, Nokia only have good photo because it uses Hugh sensor. While the N8 has a very good phone camera, its nowhere as good as other 1/1.7 inch sensor digicams.

You can easier find a $100 used camera that has better noise reduction, color reproduction and image quality than the N8. The trick is you have to look for sensors in the 1/1.6-1/1.7" range.

For example, the Fujifilm f100fd, one of the best low light camera in its time, f50fd, Panasonic LX2 LX3 can all be had for south of hundred bucks. Canon actually doesn't make digicam of this class (large sensor short zoom range compact) until recently with the 90 and the 95. But Fujifilm was the best when it was making its own super ccd sensor.

But none of those have phones attached to them, do they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I hope those rumors about the next iphone having a physical keyboard and a better camera are true, because although I will never buy one of those things, it might finally prod the rest of the industry into making more smart-featurephones so I can finally buy the convergence device i've always dreamed of, just in time for the Rapture

• Locked thread