Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

Friend of Hogan.

Much more embarrassing than being a Friend of Dorothy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
After you meet Vampiro begin to tell the others in your social group how much smack he was talking about them.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

The Cena argument is hard, because it could go two ways:

1) Wrestling is not popular right now because of Cena

2) If wrestling didn't have Cena it would be even less popular than it is.

Personally I don't think Cena is the real issue. What really is bringing wrestling down is the stale, horrible creative direction. Cena is the focal point of this, and I think he's only as popular as he is because he has talent & charisma to get past the booking.

Ding ding ding. Stephanie has ruined creative.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Thauros posted:

I don't pay as much attention to the WWE's financials as you or many other people on here, but I thought that outside of WrestleMania their business had declind to the point where they'd potentially be in a very precarious position of their proposed network launched and failed, unlike previous expensive failures like the WBF and the XFL which they were able to swallow more easily due to being healthier at the time?

If that were true and they were in that precarious a situation then they were doubly stupid to let Linda run a second time.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

They should have compromised and said Grenada.

Hello Mongo
Hello Vader
Pitbull left me
In Grenada

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Rad R. posted:

Every now and then the dirtsheets post news about the WWE doing things 'on the fly', especially with Raw, which often changes stories hours before the show. Didn't they add John Cena to the Survivor Series main event, and change SS teams as well? WCW didn't even have a standing point like WrestleMania.

Starrcade was their WrestleMania.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Rad R. posted:

Well yeah, technically. And one of the biggest Starrcades was in '97 with Hogan vs. Sting, and that had a messy ending.

The beginning of the end.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Was that the show that was so bad at the end of it the fans started chanting Vince McMahon?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

This video has so many great i.e. bad WCW moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RKnSIxQsE

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bartok posted:

What is the story behind Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan not getting along?
I've heard the story about Gorilla Monsoon's death and how Bobby had to fight to be able to say a few words about his friend on Nitro. Even before Monsoon's passing there seemed to be some real deep seated animosity between the two.

From his book Tony was a raging dick to him.

Tony would find out finishes and angles ahead of time and refuse to tell him what was going on so Tony could look better.

Tony demanded that his chair had to be the highest of the announcers because he was more important.

Tony told Bischoff and Russo to ignore Heenan's advice on angles and other things despite his long record int he business.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The most watched Friends episode of all time is my favorite.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Oatgan posted:

I just noticed he named his dog Adolf

There was a problem at one of the early UFCs where he said some racist stuff to Gary Goodridge.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Seeing as Austin wasn't known for black boots and black trunks until 1996, yes.

Saul, quite wonderfully, is still living in late 90s Internet Wrestling Message Board world. To make this truly accurate, someone needs to buy him an avatar featuring something from Kennyskrib.com

Other hits included on this album are:

- Ted Turner is bribing the Nielsen people to say WCW has higher ratings

- More WWF fans have parties to watch Raw so there are more people watching on fewer tv sets

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

Boy am I glad we don't have to see those MDA promos for Fall Brawl anymore. Exploitative crap like that just brings home how sleazy this business can be.

Anyone got a youtube of these?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I started to post about this in the Rumble thread but I figure it's correct to put it here....

Back in 96 I found the WWF to be completely boring and filled with cartoonish garbage and was slowly drifting from wrestling thinking I had just outgrown it. Keep in mind that I had never watched WCW and had always thought it was some lovely minor league...i.e. I had no loving clue that Razor Ramon and Diesel went to the WCW. I just knew that two guys I had liked were no longer on TV. When Jim Ross announced they were returning I got pumped....only to be loving pissed at the fakes. This soured me on the product even more. I had no clue they were mocking WCW, I just thought they were trying to fool people into thinking they were real for some reason! (I was 12 at the time). The final nail in the coffin (pun intended) for me was the Buried Alive Match between Mankind and Undertaker the month after the fakes debuted. Immediately after that match I said I was done with this lame poo poo and didn't watch again until ALL my friends got me back into it in December 1999.

Was there any other little marks confused as hell by the "fake" Razor and Diesel when they debuted? Again, I had no clue about anything in WCW and just felt like WWF was trying to rip me off. Too bad I didn't know of WCW at the time otherwise I would've surely gotten caught up in the NWO. The NWO was basically against everything I was sick of in WWF at the time and it's no wonder they started murdering them in the ratings.

This resulted in WCW panicking because Hall and Nash had only signed an MOU (memo of understanding) instead of a contract and they offered them $400,000 each per year to sign a contract.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The American Dream posted:

Wasn't the hat from the Macho Man truck found in a warehouse somewhere? I think I saw a picture once.

I think it was on the Punk visit to the WWE Warehouse.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I really liked the original book, but I'll hold off on the expanded edition until I hear what exactly the additions are

I hope the new book is actually blank except for a photo of Scott Hall in the middle of 300 pages.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

What could have been if Buff Bagwell and Booker T hadn't stunk up the joint back on that one Raw. That was what truly ended WCW. Vince just decided the WCW brand wasn't worth it after that suck-fest.

Why are my fellow Tacoma fans blamed when Vince could have waited a week and done that in Atlanta?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Devil Child posted:

The blame's on Buff Bagwell, bud.

Among many other things yes. The fans also get blamed for giving it a lukewarm reception both at the time and in retrospects such as Death of WCW and Scott Keith.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Vince had the option of buying out those contracts. He chose instead to offer guys pennies on the dollar to come work instead of making the whole dollars to sit at home doing nothing.

We could have had a proper invasion but the money was better spent on the Debbie Reynolds hotel in Vegas that they never renovated, WWE New York and the XFL.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Oatgan posted:

It should be noted that the Steiners had to give the titles back to the nWo on the following Nitro because the wrong ref counted the pin.

Good god the live nWo house band was awful. They were maybe the worst part of a PPV that featured a Mongo match and a Hogan/Giant main event

You forgot the fishlens camera they used.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Then how does he explain the piņata on a pole match?

He pitched a Goldberg - Warrior matchup by saying "Who wouldn't want to see Goldberg and Warrior?" so that will always be the weirdest explanation he could give for anything.

e:

flashy_mcflash posted:

And honestly, who didn't love that Karate Fighters blimp?

Do you mean Kwang or Tensai?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I doubt it was literally at gun point, but everyone there would know they had no choice but to go. Hell, it's worse in a way since it everyone going would know they better go and look good or they might end up moved to the countryside or in a concentration camp. The people with the best family background and service to the party get to live in and around Pyongyang, and would be the ones who would attend these shows. They want the event to have propaganda value, so the best fed, best dressed juche believing folk will get the wonderful opportunity to go!

Although not in the same ballpark Vince used to force employees to stay late to be the audience while filming Prime Time Wrestling.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

John Cena posted:

this one im unfamiliar with.

I remember they didn't want the results to leak before the event aired or ended but the promotion and everything else escapes me.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Warrior did brought huge ratings just before he made people flee with his awful long-rear end promos.

His first promo was supposed to be two minutes to make people want more but he rambled on for 20 minutes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Warrior's first promo was pretty good all the way through. Everything after was loving terrible.

He committed the cardinal sin, the #1 no-no in the business by reminding people he already beat Hogan.*

*ignore all the times Hogan did this throughout his career and give Hulkster some sympy

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

DAMMIT I WAS SO SURE. I have been owned :negative:

You get my sympy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Red posted:

I mean, I guess, but... wasn't she originally Flair's nurse in a really moronic storyline?

Also, looking at these pictures make me sad, because Mortis was amazing, and we never got a chance to see Kanyon revive it in WWE.

Edit: Looking through all these photos, one of the few people who escaped this era unscathed and still has a career is TEDDY LONG

:nms: If you haven't you really should get the James Mitchell shoot interview. He talks about how they used to use Mortis' stick for an unintended purpose that really annoyed Kanyon.