Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Giving Hogan creative control was a stupid mistake!

First thing: beat Ric Flair for the title at Bash at the Beach in his first match.

Second: Bring in his friends for easy money and title pushes. Effectively killing off the younger up and coming talent. Two things happened here: talent were either released soon after(Austin, Foley), or relegated to the mid card and chasing lesser belts(Sting, Luger, etc.). Or just booked and killed completely off(Vader). Ric Flair basically became Hogan's whipping boy until the demise of WCW.

Third: Due to the creative clause in his contract he could now refuse to job and put over anybody he didn't feel was 'big' enough(which was everybody). The only times he would actually drop the belt was when he went off to film a movie or to take himself off of tv when he knew ratings were gonna tank, and dropping the belt consisted of a run in or some other interference so he did not look weak.

He had a ridiculous title reign which eventually led to one of the reasons why WCW fell. WCW couldn't do anything about it as due his creative clause and they then had to cater to his demands and they could not take him off of TV because of his ridiculous contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Lone Rogue posted:

Explain then the Luger one week switch, finally dropping to Sting and losing to Goldberg.

It was a one week switch. The match was Hogan dominating the entire thing, an NWO/WCW run in and Luger scoring the submission amongst the confusion(hardly a decisive win). Hogan got the belt back and Luger's reign as champion was never mentioned ever again. Back to the mid card for Luger(not that he deserved a title shot).

Sure he dropped to Sting twice. But the first was one was a botched screw job(Hogan dominated the match anyways)and the second time was due to the Macho man running in and hitting Hogan with a spray can. Back to the mid card after that for Sting.

The Goldberg job was to benefit himself(+30,000 attendance = Hogan of course.). Kevin Nash took the reign as booker and killed Goldberg's momentum and gave the title back to Hogan on a silver platter. Goldberg was getting beat down every week, yet a year prior he was handling the NWO by himself.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Karmine posted:

The two were feuding at the time of his death and the next Monday night they showed an "in memory of graphic" and then later on in the show Schiavone said something about "our thoughts and prayers are with his family etc" and then Zbysko said "I'd let you know how I felt about Spicolli but out of respect to his family I'll keep my mouth shut."

Wasn't that because WCW wouldn't let him break kayfabe?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Lone Rogue posted:

There was nothing wrong with the nWo getting a second wind, either. It just had to take time. Sting should have decisively beaten several nWo guys like Hogan, Hall and Giant. And then you feud him with Nash or Macho and have them win. Say Macho wins it and tries to kick Hogan out of the nWo. This sparks the nWo implosion and Sting or someone else gets back the title because nWo is too embroiled in a feud against themselves. Culiminate in a big ten man tag match at Starrcade '98 which ends up the true end of the nWo. Everyone goes their separate ways after that. If a new stable builds, so be it.

1998 should have been "The Rise of WCW, the Fall of the nWo". Which would have set up 1999 to be "The Year of Goldberg" where the entire focus is heels trying to stop Goldberg and his dominant Worlds Heavyweight Championship reign (that should have begun at Starrcade 98, not ended).

I think the Goldberg/Hogan match is how it should have went. Hogan tries his usual heelisms but Sting being too good for it. nWo tries to interfere and WCW finally bands together to stop any interferences. Hogan has to face Sting one on one. Sting should have made Hogan tap out to the Scorpion Death Lock as a sign that the nWo was submitting to the power of the Stinger.

1998 should've also been the year that they started building up the younger wrestlers to the main event status. They had crazy momentum that year that they could've pushed anyone to the top.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Maxwell Lord posted:

True- I think even from the "getting something for free" perspective, fans would have enjoyed a build to a big match between an unstoppable juggernaut and the legend Hogan more than just getting it over with in a week.

Changing the title on free TV, even with a really good match, isn't always a bad idea, but it was in this case.

I remember Goldberg's first chance at defending his world title in a main event was at Halloween Havoc '98. Keep in mind that he won it July. Then he took World War 3 off and lost it to Nash the next month at Starrcade.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
My favorite quotes from "The Death of WCW":

1: "A few weeks earlier, the WWF had put tickets on sale for their biggest show of the year, Wrestlemania X7, to be held April 1, 2001, at the Houston AstroDome. On the first day they were available, 48,395 tickets were sold. In late November, tickets went on sale for WCW's biggest PPV of the year, the Grandaddy of Them All, Starrcade. On the first day they were available, 926 tickets were sold." (2000)

2: "Nitro the following Monday was at the SuperDome in New Orleans before a paying crowd of 15,593. Master P had bragged to the company that his presence would make the building sell out. Considering that the building could hold over 55,000, Master P was wrong."

3: "The last Nitro of 1999 was quite fitting, as the man who told the New York Times that he began and ended every conversation with the word "logic"(Russo) wrote an angle in which Sid was locked in a car, then Bret ran it over with a monster truck. Not only did Sid survive, he was back the following week. The show did a miserable 2.86 to Raw's 5.85."

4: "On June 7, Raw beat Nitro by over 3.5 points, which is complete and utter destruction. The main angle on the show saw a mysterious white Humvee crash into a limo containing Kevin Nash, seemingly killing him. This was a brilliant idea, considering he was supposed to headline a PPV six days later. Worse, $50,000 was spent to shoot this, and it drew a pitiful 2.7 rating."

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

I posted:

I didn't know who Master P was when he first appeared in WCW. Actually, I still don't know who he is, but I guess if WCW was paying him $100,000 per appearance, he must be someone important.

The worst part? New Orleans is his home town.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That reminds me of my most surreal video game wrestling moment, while playing Mayhem. I was using Raven, and wrestling Scott Norton, and Norton gets me in the corner, and puts me on top. I figure he's going for a superplex.

No.

He goes for a top rope hurricanrana. Which I then reverse into a superbomb for 3.

I'll say that again. Scott Norton, who weighs like 320-330, went for a top rope rana. That game's AI and moveset were weird, man.

In WCW vs NWO World Tour you could play as Rey Mysterio Jr. and powerbomb the Giant...

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Jericho said something about how he got to pick Generic Title Track #9.

He found out his music was also used for basketball highlights when he caught a game one night

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Perry Normal posted:

Yep. Dean would regularly go for a breather outside at the time and he forgot the silly stip for a moment.

I think he was trying to forget he was ever in WCW at that point. Like whenever he would go out for a breather he would just magically wake up and find himself somewhere where the company appreciated his work. Only to wake up disappointed each time.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

LividLiquid posted:

Jarrett asked for all the money that was owed to him so he could sever ties with the company completely. He didn't ask for money that wasn't owed to him already.

He claims that he was even given stock options and that the entire meeting was positive.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Astro7x posted:

Austin/Brock could have been great, but Austin didn't want Brock to pin him clean in the KOTR qualifier.

I heard it was a dark match?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

bobkatt013 posted:

We are not watching it, but we are watching a Thunder tomorrow.

Either way, we lose.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

iLikeMidgets posted:

Slightly off topic but since this thread turned into the 90's era these last few pages (which i've really enjoyed reading), anyone have recommendations for books? I've read Bischoff's and Brock's books.
There was also quote from Bret hart's autobiography posted a few pages back. It sounded interesting so gonna pick up the book.
And what are some good sites to read on past feuds/storylines, etc? I've really enjoyed the posts about Austin/JJ and Rock/HBK-Hunter.

Is brock's book any good? What does he say in it about his WWE career?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

nasboat posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in the wrestling business, but :stare:

Yeah he talks a lot about the drug usage in the industry during his entire career. Lots of sad stories and some not surprising. Did you know that 3 out of 5 members of the Hart Foundation in 1997 were massive drug addicts? But he does talk a lot about his drug usage too so its not entirely one sided.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The most :staredog: part of Bret's book is when he's talking about a tour of Israel:

"I was particularly amazed by the imprint of a human hand in a white stone wall. Dorit (the tour guide) told me it was said that Jesus leaned there while carrying the cross. My hand fit inside the imprint.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling p 340

One of my fav. lines was when he comparing his fans to Hulk's fans, and he was like "My fans were different. Like they really believed in me as a person". Seriously BARF time!

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I started watching wrestling again in December '99 (my first event back was Armageddon, where Miss Kitty showed her tits), so my normal Monday night viewing habit was watch 1 hour of nitro, followed by just Raw the rest of the way. My only WCW exposure (after hearing for years how awesome it was) was during the death run of 2000 to 2001. It was pretty loving terrible.

You don't like Kevin Nash taking up all of the tv time????

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Astro7x posted:

The thing about it being a Non Title match was when Piper was brought into WCW he was billed as not being a member of WCW, he was a free agent essentially. Except that he stuck around until 2000....

Well if you're getting paid truck loads of money to come in and hobble around with your bad hips, would you turn it down?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't see what's so silly about sending your hated foe a likeness of his own severed head as a birthday present. :colbert:

The best part is hogan selling for the severed head... hahahahhaha

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
woops

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is it just me or was there zero reaction from the crowd when he pulls out the head?

Not just you and I gather thats because the crowd new the angle was ridiculous... hahahahah hogan's expression is so priceless. hahhahaahaha! When you look at it, hogan at least sold something because he sure as hell wasn't gonna sell for Sting.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jack Krauser posted:

No one should be surprised, Hogan will only put over himself and that's all he was doing in that segment.

Wasn't the NWO nitro(this show we're talking about)basically a glorified "look at Hogan and how awesome he is!" show? Pretty much seemed like it as eric was giving him gifts all night

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jack Krauser posted:

There's no set dismantling in this video. Does everyone remember this wrong or something?

The user who uploaded the video got rid of that portion of the show. Believe me its terrible and boring. So i understand why.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Perry Normal posted:

To be fair, Sting joined the face (or at least tweener) version of nWo, the Wolfpac. I don't think he ever really turned heel for it. More that Nash and Konnan did a half-assed face turn.

But you're absolutely right. I think a number of people have pointed out in this thread that Sting joining the nWo was one of the biggest "gently caress this company" moments for them. I know it was for me.

Then after his match with Hart at HH '98 he kinda just disappeared, then the NWO went heel again. He came back in March without any face paint for his return and no NWO ties... it was really strange.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The American Dream posted:

It's great seeing Lex Lugar going from boos to cheers to boos to cheers every clash. someone should make a diagram of all his face/heel turns.

I'm amazed that Luger had any reaction at all throughout his career. Speaking of which, has Luger every been interesting???

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Sporadic posted:

I posted this theory before but try to think of it this way. Vince give (who he considers) his good friend a cushiony color commentator gig with the idea that it's a job for life ala Gorilla Monsoon. And how does Randy repay him for that kindness? BY SPITTING HIS GODDAMN FACE AND GOING OVER TO THE COMPETITION!

I thought Randy left, among other talent, was because at the time the WWF was suffering huge losses and PR issues because of wrestler deaths and steroid scandals? I remember reading that Vince was cutting pay for managers and commentators by 30-50% during this time.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

They had a week to get a deal before the company would be sold to the WWF, and no one wanted it. At that point WCW was doing 2.1s and pro wrestling was getting a stigma at that point. USA wasn't interested in wrestling unless they were getting the #1 product. FX was mildly interested but said no, and no other networks had interest. Of course at that point there weren't a ton of cable networks who were going to pay out millions for anything. Even if there were, a week isn't enough time to make a deal.

Plus pending lawsuits and the huge debt WCW was under.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I present you the best WCW angle ever:

This occurs after Benoit left WCW for the WWF, in the beginning of the year 2000, and the title was left vacant. WCW now had a quest to find their new champion and its super confusing and illogical. Basically this was an average WCW angle in the '99-'00 era.

After Benoit left , Terry Taylor announced on Thunder that there was going to be an nWo versus WCW match on the Jan. 24 Nitro for the vacant title. Sid, he announced, was the WCW representative, and the nWo was going to be able to choose whomever they pleased. Nash, the Commissioner, chose Jarrett. But, he said, if Sid beat Jarrett, he wouldn't get the belt. Instead, he'd get a match with Nash for the belt. If Jarrett won, Nash would presumably just get the belt via forfeit.

Nitro came, and it was announced that Jeff Jarrett couldn't wrestle yet because of a concussion(he missed the Souled Out PPV as well). So Nash said that Sid had to beat Don Harris instead in order to win the shot against him for the title later. It gets more ridiculous. During the Sid versus Don match, Don switched places with his twin brother Ron. Sid pinned Ron. During the commercial break, however-and keep in mind , this was therefor not seen by people watching TV-it was announced that Sid had beaten the wrong guy and had to return to beat the right one. He didn't return, and was counted out. Logically, this should have meant that Don Harris was the new WCW champion. Or Nash was. Who knows.

Anyway, since this happened during the break, on TV they pretended that it had never happened. So in the man event, Sid got his title shot anyway in the most horrendous match since, well, the last time they had a horrendous match, which was at Starrcade the month prior. This particular technical classic was highlighted by them screwing up the very first move they tried, which was a bodyslam(It needs to be seen to believed). Jarrett ran out and accidently hit Nash with a guitar, allowing Sid to get the pin. Finally WCW has their champion!!!!!

Nope.....

After all this went down, it was announced on Thunder that Sid had, in fact, pinned the wrong Harris twin. So, Nash ruled, he (meaning Nash) was the champion. He then signed a new man event, himself and the Harris twin that Sid Did Not Beat versus Sid in a cage match for the title. He made sure to note that the only way Sid could win the belt was to pin both himself and Ron. Sid managed to beat both Nash and Harris to become their new champ.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a question for those more knowledgeable: I've heard the story that Hulk Hogan would take vacations whenever WCW was airing against the NBA finals or another big sporting event, when ratings would obviously slide. Then when he came back, he'd say that the return to regular ratings was solely and consequence of him coming back (and therefore he deserved a big raise).

How the hell did no one catch on? I find it impossible to believe that no one at Turner Television could look at that argument and realize that it was the equivalent of saying that a rooster causes the sun to rise in the morning. Was it just a one time thing where he got WCW to give him an outrageous contract and the story just got retold enough to make it seem like several occurrences? Was WCW's management just that disconnected with the network that owned them? Or was it just a case of Ted Turner being so enamored with Hogan that he allowed such BS? Or maybe all of the above?

I remember in early '98 he wasn't under contract but he booked himself(he had creative control in everything he did)in all the main angles so WCW bookers couldn't tell him to hit the bricks. It worked as they re-signed him for his usual 5 mil a year deal and managed to get a 1.5 million dollar signing bonus as well. His creative control got so ridiculous for when Souled Out '98 came the Hart vs Flair main event had to be moved to a semi main event because Hogan was going to do a run-in for another match before and the 'almighty Hulkster' couldn't be involved with anything other than main events.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What did WWE do on those nights where RAW got preemted? Was there no RAW that week? Would it air Tuesday? Did they just have a house show?

Hahaha I remember things got so bad for WCW in mid-late '99 that they ran a Nitro unopposed for all 3 hours and still lost to 11 PM Raw(pre-empted by the dog show). Something like a 4.06 for Nitro to Raw's 4.13, sure they were barely beat but its still pathetic. I think it was the Death of WCW.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite WCW memory of all time was when Flair was abandoned out in the woods somewhere for some reason, but by a stroke of luck a trucker who happened to have a WCW cameraman with a live feed back to Monday Nitro in his cab with him spotted him and rescued him.

What a coincidence!

The story goes is that Flair was storyline president of the company at the time(a cluster gently caress storyline in itself) and he was making Bischoff do embarrassing things like being a janitor, carrying luggage, etc. On this night Bischoff was Flair's limo driver and Bischoff hating his new job decided to lead Flair into an ambush.

The ambush being, a group of masked men taking Flair to an open, deserted field and beating him up. They did and they unmasked immediately afterwards and it was the NWO all along(killed any "Who could it have been???" storylines). They left him lying in an open field. The funny parts here are that they left a camera man here to film Flair laying around throughout the show. Nether the camera man or his friends, that were in the limo with him, called for help.

The best part??? They hired a camera man to fly over in a helicopter to film the segment as well.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Seriously all WCW had to do that night, to keep their fans happy, was to have Goldberg & Nash have their rematch with Goldberg winning the belt back. That's it. No bullshit or screwy finishes. Clean. In the middle of the ring.

Of course, this being WCW that was never, ever going to happen.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

That would have been a really bad idea too.

Okay maybe not clean and so decisive but they did bait and switch the fans big time with the main event.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

A better idea would be not to tease that match at all and do something else with Goldberg. WCW needed less panic booking, not more.

And less NWO run-ins.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Don't forget jobbing him immediately on Raw.

I remember his debut at Valentine's day massacre, it was hard not to be impressed. It looked like Paul was gonna be huge. Then they just jobbed him out to Austin right away.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jefferoo posted:

Read the entirety of The Death of WCW today front to back. Blown away at how badly everything went to poo poo. Well recommend it if anyone else hasn't gotten around to it yet. I kind of want to do some dramatic readings of bits and pieces some time, it's loving hilarious.

Cue an entire story about Ultimate Warrior's return to WCW and the ancestor of LOST's black smoke monster.

The blow-up doll fiasco was hilarious and that he got injured doing jack poo poo at Fall Brawl 98 in the war games match.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Wouldn't surprise that once 1998 was over they stopped doing World War 3 for that very reason. I think it was one of their least popular pay-per views.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

Vince was the only buyer with actual money. Bischoff had an iffy backer in Fusient and both sides agreed to a sale in 2001. However, something happened, I think with regards to Fusient's money situation and the deal fell apart. Bischoff's plan was to shut the company down for a couple months then relaunch, so this put WCW in an odd spot with regards to new dates. They spent the next month and a half trying to work it out, but at the start of March 2001 moves were made to start shutting WCW down no matter what for the short term. They were sick of waiting, either Fusient was buying it, or the company was closing for good. Fusient still didn't come through so Jamie Kellner, who did hate wrestling but the moves seemed to be in place prior to his ascendency cancelled WCW on the Turner Networks. This left Bischoff scrambling to find a TV deal to try and still buy it, but brought Vince back into the picture as a buyer. Bischoff didn't come up with anything and Vince bought the company.

I thought the Fusient deal fell through because Bischoff's investors took a look at WCW's books and were appalled with what they saw: tons of debt, many lawsuits pending, poo poo ratings and an awful product led to Fusient cutting their deal to less than half of their initial offer. Something to the tune of 5.7 million down, then 2.15 million for 20 years(their initial offer was 70 million straight up). Apparently FX, back in '98, offered Turner 500 million to outright buy the company(WCW's biggest money-making year).

Now mind you this was information from the Death of WCW book so I don't know if this is true or not.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
No doubt Bischoff's plan to do everything he did in '96 all over again to rejuvenate the company(sure the ratings were slowly dipping but they were still killing business wise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Shawn Micheal's has really kind hair... the kind that grows on a donkey's rear.