Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I recently subscribed to Peacock+ and see they have a ton of wrestling shows. I know next to nothing about wrestling, but have looked around the net and know about some of what WCW/NWA put out. Is there a good list of what to watch from 70s to 00s? Should I just watch all of the PPVs then jump into the "Monday Night Wars"? I know Ric Flair, Dusty Baker, Sting, Hulk Hogan, and the NWO are essential to WCW/NWA, but is there anyone else I should keep an eye out for?

I've already watched Starrcade '83. Flair, Rickey Steamboat, Charlie Brown, Roddy Piper, Bugsy McGraw and Rufus R. Jones were all enjoyable personalities.

I am interested in the late 80s/early 90s era, but everything I read says the weekly shows are bad.

I browsed some parts of this thread and it seems like the catch-all WCW/NWA/Crockett thread so I hope my questions are in the right place.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I found this reddit watch list and would all of you say it is good or too much?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think Fall 93 is good at all, Winter 99 is very bad and April 2000 is awful.

Ok so take those out and add the PPVs and I should be good?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The only PPVs I'd bother watching from Halloween Havoc 98 through the end of the company are Spring Stampede 99 and Greed. The rest are really genuinely bad. Also I missed the guy saying September of 99 through November is good, that's some of the worst poo poo the company ever did. Although there is one really funny Nitro in there.

Ok. Thank you for all the help. :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MrBling posted:

The TV was where everything happened because Bischoff was obsessed with TV ratings rather than PPV buy rates.

If its in the award winning WWE network on Peacock© (and it should be) you could probably do worse than watch some Mid-South Wrestling. Start in 1983 and continue to 1986. It is some of the best weekly TV from the territories era.

If these aren't on peacock they'll be on youtube.

They are. I watched a couple of episodes of the mid-atlantic and it was really dry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Dusty Baker wasn't in NWA/JCP/WCW. That was Scott Hall - you must have seen the toothpick and got confused.

I meant Dusty rhodes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Starrcadde 84 rules. Some great matches and modern wrestling started taking shape.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MAGNUM T.A.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm very confused by when and where lex lugar appears in NWA wrestling. He just shows you at the Bunkhouse stampede. I've never seen him before this. Same with the roadwarriors.

Edit: necermind. I watched the 3rd one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I tried some of the other regions of the NWA before their absorption and the others beyond the mid-atlantic just aren't as good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0YkQHqczw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVj9PXeJI8o
:whitewater:
A storyline that did not age well. Everything around "The perfect 10" Babydoll has been awful.

Edit: Ok the 2nd nature boy showing up and all the weird Paul Jones amassing an army to take out everyone is pretty good. It also sucks that Sliver Star '85 doesn't seem to be uploaded anywhere.

Edit2: I just discovered the show nwa worldwide wrestling and the nwa wcw show in 1985. I wish the wwe network had these up. Apparently this is what I actually wanted to watch.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 11, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The World Championship Wrestling show that premiers in 1985 is head and shoulders above the wide world of wrestling and mid-atlantic show.

David Crockett is a terrible announcer.

Edit: the 2nd iteration of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew is also insanely racist. The amount of racist poo poo the Anderson say to the Raging Bull and Thunderbolt is insane.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 21, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hit the point in 1985 when Ric Flair completed his Heel turn. The match against Sam Houston was great.

Magnum T.A. rules too. It is too bad about what happens to him. Man would have been an all time great and remembered like Ric and Dusty.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

it sucks watching old jcp or Memphis and all of a sudden its time for the most obscure southern slurs block.

Yeah it was nuts hearing Arn Anderson call Manny Fernandez a "Half-Breed" and Ole Anderson say he was tired of Thunderbolt thinking he needed equal opportunities.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1597000763326492672?t=00R-Z7ocycivoF_-AOwp4A&s=19
These are the only 2 wrestlers I've heard say poo poo like this even accounting for the time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Memphis had its share

Which regional wrestling company was that?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Continental and later USWA.

Ah I haven't watched any of that. I'm just still with mid-atlantic. That seems to have most of the future wcw stars.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Foes anyone have video of Nikita Koloff attacking announcer David Crockett?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So the 1985 Great American Bash is lost beyond a episode of wrestling today that has some clips of the matches?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Heading towards Starrcade '85 in a day or 2 so a update on what I'm enjoyinging.

I like Jimmy Valiant. I like Paul Jones. I do not like their stupid feud.

Jim Cornette is a great manager/hype man. He is also a son of a bitch. Midnight express are great in the ring.

Rock'n'Roll Express is great in the ring, but outside the ring they are two very stupid men.

Barbarian is good when they use him. Same for Abdullah.

The Koloffs are good. I like Nikita as this unstoppable force.

Ric Flair is a son of a bitch. Justice for Dusty.

Dusty has grown on me.

Magnum is still good, but seems to have been shuffled to the side.

Ron Garvin, Terry Taylor, and black Bart exist.

Ron Bass is great outside the ring, but his in ring stuff is starting to suffer. His face turn is meh.

David Crockett needs to shut up.

Sam Houston...lmao

Tully Blanchard and Baby Doll are the couple you love to hate.

The Andersons. Arn is a good hell. Ole just comes off as mean and cruel frequently.

Pistol Pez Whately. What a shame he is never used beyond sorts jobber stuff. He isblike Jimmy Valiant. A clown who is fun to watch.

Mad dog buzz swayer is a psycho.

Edit: JJ Dillion is also a fun manager.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 12, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RON GARVIN IS MISS ATLANTA LIVELY?!

My opinion on him has changed. A good wrestler.

Lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr89N8OnzkI

LemonLimeSoda posted:

The Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard match from Starrcade '85 is one of my favorite matches I've ever seen
I am genuinely annoyed by Jimmy Valiant and fight the urge to fast forward when I see him on screen

I haven't watched that match yet. Very excited for it.

That is unfortunate you don't like Valiant. I think his Street People, over exaggerated in ring antics, and outside the ring personality is a nice change of pace. I didn't enjoy the Valiant's War angle they took for a few months.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 14, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I do not enjoy blading.

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I might be the problem and I'm just being a harsh critic
Jimmy Valiant feels like a lovely Mick Jagger impersonation to me

The Rolling Stones guy? How so?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 17, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JESUS CHRIST THAT MAGNUM TA AND TULLY MATCH

WTF

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tbh that's just because what is mid-atlantics just becomes wcw after ownership changes hands to Turner and a split from the NWA

its also kind of hard to watch because of how legally screwed up the TV rights situation got

you've defintiely seen a lot of Memphis talent (Jerry Lawler or Jimmy Hart) but you're going to associate them with WWF or WCW because it just never could escape the collapse of the territories (it tried in forming in the USWA with WCCW from Dallas, but that was also damned)

I should also mention the Jarretts because you know its kind of hard not to mention them in regards to Memphis and surviving influences. Because goddamn.

The only show I have problems tracking down is wide world of wrestling. Nearly all of season 1 of championship wrestling is on YouTube and the nwa episodes Peacock doesn't have are on YouTube.

I have not seen Jimmy hart or Jerry Lawler at all. I haven't seen any Memphis wrestling.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I know who Jerry "The King" Lawler the announcer is, but not his wrestler side. I absolutely do not know who Jimmy Hart, but googling I recognize his picture. I might eventually get into WWF stuff, but right now I'm just watching WCW.

Suplex Liberace posted:

^thank you for posting my favorite song

im thinking about all the old footage the wwe owns that they will probably never release and its getting me really hot!

I feel this way about a lot of old media.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 18, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MrBling posted:

yeah, it's great right?

You might have better luck searching for NWA World Wide Wrestling rather than "Wide World of Wrestling" since that was the name used post-1978.

I have some episodes on my youtube channel from 84, 87 and then some 92 and 93 ones. They are a bit hard to upload to youtube because they will get randomly blocked, Main Event is the same way.

Anyway, you can find them here by searching https://www.youtube.com/ClassicWrestlingstuff/

I'll see if I can get the 1985 episodes up as well. The quality isn't the greatest, as you'd probably expect from really old tape ripes.
That account is you? I've watched plenty of your uploads already. I really appreciate what you have done!

I used this 1985 playlist Someone created using your videos and 4WrestlingFans. I'll be wrapping up 1985 this week and moving onto 1986.

But yeah the match was brutal. On one hand still not a huge fan of the blading, but they really put on a show of kicking the poo poo out of each other. The chair at the end was unexpected.

Edit: I also enjoyed the landel and Terry match

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 18, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok so 1986 is starting off confusing. Ole has a hurt leg and Dusty is now holding buddy landel's title. Did I miss some poo poo or is this behind the scenes stuff?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Buddy had a disagreement with management (iirc the kind of disagreement that can be summarized as "stop showing up late and high, rear end in a top hat"), so they made him drop the title immediately after he won it. Which is a shame, he was supposedly set for a Nature Boy vs Nature Boy feud with Ric Flair if he kept his head on straight.

That does suck. I kinda liked the buddy/JJ weird relationship and landel was a good heel.

Edit: not a lot of of the 1986 episodes of World Wide Wrestling available. I know at the end of this year a bunch of shows switch titles so I need to figure all that out too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

The 80s rule

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is a period during the early part of 1986 where Ric Flair calls his dick "Space Mountain" and constantly invites Baby Doll or women in general to ride it if they are over 18.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NWA World Championship Wrestling Air date January 25, 1986
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1608188618572455936?t=utw7k64poMmUMg-mBwF4dA&s=19
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1608187875757117442?t=IZN20aB0o4qHEvdfZ2_Q1Q&s=19
A show or 2 ago he also talked about riding space mountain and how babydoll couldn't handle it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin and Precious are great. Lmao at the disinfectant being sprayed everywhere. Them being an actual married couple is great too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Someone would have to set up a mirror with a spliced tape recording of Hogan talking

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

It's sad that people are ignorant of such a famous feud.

Randy Savage and Kevin Nash feuded in the summer of 1999 over Nash's WCW title. The feud started like many Poop Feuds do with Savage repeatedly putting makeup on Nash.

Then, like all poop feuds do, it began to involve poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0U2_YstJQk

But Randy Savage would seek his revenge in what took this from a Poop Feud to a Great Poop Feud (the greatest in TYOOL 1999)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN27gVousj8

There would also be kidnappings, a Quick Pick, white hummers, a DQ in a PPV main event and the title changing hands in a tag match the next month, and then being won by The GOAT Hulk Hogan the next night on Nitro rendering the Great Poop Feud of '99 kind of pointless, but setting Randy Savage Up for Poop Feud 2 which culminated on PPV vs Dennis Rodman.

Lmao this is great

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ric Flair's one weakness being Ron Gavin's Fist of Stone is great. Every couple of weeks we get to see Ron deck Ric and knock Ric out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The 1st annual tag team tournament Crockett Cup being immediately undermined by having flair and Rhodes back out to do a headliner event so dusty can lose again is very stupid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at the pistol pez whately heel turn. Jesus wrestling

The Paul jones army just being foreigners and minorities declaring war on white wrestling. :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Holy poo poo there was an angle where Jim Cornette hurt baby doll so dusty rhodes and magnum ta dressed up in cowboy gear with lynching masks and tried to hang jim?
What the gently caress lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that the culprit was The Midnight Rider.

They are supposed to be the "James brothers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There isn't a lot of tv show "NWA/WCW Pro Wrestling" available from 1986 is there?