Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember there being some wrestling game (probably one of the earlier smackdowns) where Scotty 2 Hotty's finishing move was just the dance part of the worm. His standing attack to a downed opponent was the chop and you had to do it by pressing the x button. So if you had a bunch of finishers lined up you could just keep hopping around and doing the worm like five times in a row without actually attacking while your opponent was forced to lie there like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That and Hassan was not a strong promo. He also sucked in the ring.

Looks like Jesus wins again

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yup, I had this game. It was only okay but had a really decent roster considering the time period.

Hogan looks like one of those horrifying unidentified victim head busts from doenetwork.com

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Der-Wreck posted:

he would take Meng to cracker barrel

I'm pretty sure cracker barrel and waffle house are the only restaurants wrestlers are legally allowed to eat it. Other than ribera steakhouse, but that's more of the wrestling eatery mecca

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

We don't even have Ponderosas here anymore. Our Sizzler closed years ago. My dad went into a Western Sizzlin' in Orlando but it's just not the same.

What is the difference between a sizzler and say an Outback Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse or any other generic chain steakhouses?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Speedboat Jones posted:

Ok, I'm still seriously trying to wrap my head around this idea of Sizzler an "asian" thing. Titties, can you enlighten me to the ways of our people? To stay on topic, let's talk about Tajiri as well.

Watch the parts unknown video on the last page, looks like it's just a thing that randomly spread through Asian communities for some reason

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

hey, a bad white rapper with a silly outfit who rhymes very s-l-o-w-l-y and lamely became the most profitable gimmick of all time so..

Cena is decent at actually freestyling but for some reason either him or the writers decided the best way to translate that to a wrestling crowd was to have him do lethargic dr. Seuss disses which were legit over for a while regardless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Mark Madden, former WCW commentator and horrible person, has been on tear making friend and influencing enemies:
http://hockeywithoutpropriety.com/2014/actually-its-about-ethics-in-hockey-reporting.html

This is the least accessible article I've ever read on any topic. I don't know who any of these people are, what anything means or is related to, or even what the article is about. I now know less about hockey and journalism than i did previously

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

purkey posted:

I'm watching Fall Brawl 93 for some reason and a special needs gentleman is interviewing Davey Boy Smith for some reason. What the heck?

I know it's hard to tell the difference but Lord Alfred Hayes is actually English

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Googling it, apparently they had a match: On October 5, 2002, Insane Clown Posse wrestled in Ring of Honor and defeated Oman Tortuga and Diablo Santiago

RoH from 2002-2004 was mostly embarassing tag teams/matches with decent to good main eventers making up for it. So it was late 90s WWE basically. I'd love to see RoH try to bring back the Christopher Street Connection in 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColeM posted:

Wasn't that in 2004 when Kidman botched his SSP on paul London and then wwe turned it into an angle and it made Kidman heel?

That was actually Chavo who Kidman injured with the SSP, Juventud Guerrera was the one who landed on London's face with his knee while doing a 450. They did a worked angle where Kidman injured London with the SSP after the Chavo incident though I think.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

isn't Nash a Syphon Filter fan

(further proving he's the best wrestler of all time)

probably did nothing but taser people (the best way to play)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

imo thats insulting to the new york bad rear end

It's actually pretty spot on an I can 100% imagine baroni's mom calling in sick for him. I doubt buff could ever accidentally get a crazy step over Kimura after seeing one on video though

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know someone beat me to the joke but the whole menu is pasta. What could you possibly get a side of pasta for

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

You know what you're right this thread is about LOLWWE and LOLHHH and I was silly to think WCW hosed up Warrior's return and probably shouldn't have brought him in in the first place. After all, WWE is silly and HHH has a giant ego and always has to put himself over everybody so nothing else that ever existed could ever be bad or dumb.

haha uh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

read a DDT Digest report on the Nitro that's gonna be shown tonight. You remember a few weeks back when Schiavone said a million times that WCW gives the fans what they want, WWF is taped and has a 10-second main event, blah blah (and then the main event of that Nitro ended in 25 seconds after an nWo run-in)? On the WWF hotline JR said of that something like "Tony's a friend, I was a little disappointed to hear about that but I know he was just saying what he was told to, I've done it before myself."

Anyway my point is, JR is a wonderful man without a mean word for anybody, since Tony is measurably small-minded and petty (see when that guy he hated hosed up on Millionaire and Tony mentioned it 800 times on Nitro)

If it was 2015 JR he would've made bitter old man remarks about it on Twitter for weeks

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CoolCat posted:

ROH fans booing Willow was a hilarious shoot, brother.

Haha oh no did he actually show up as that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I saw it differently. You had the nWo. Heels. But because they were cool they start getting cheered. So they break off into a faction of "cool" Heels and a faction of "evil" Heels.

The Wolfpac was the "cool" faction. But because it was WCW, their idea of cool was 40 year olds wearing sunglasses and dressing like edgy teens.

Judging by my early teen friends' t-shirts at the time wolfpac basically was late 90s teens idea of cool

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

I'm sure this has come up before in the thread but the position that Vincent took in the nWo was originally extended to Charles Wright, AKA Papa Shango/Kama/the Godfather. Virgil got the job because he heard about this and said he'd do it for half the salary they offered Wright.

I don't know if that would have been that much better, like maybe people at the time didn't think Virgil was as big a joke as we do now. And to be honest if they did get Wright I almost think the character wouldn't have been booked as a pitiful hanger-on. For all I know it was a tactic to lure the Undertaker away, since Wright is and was his best friend

This is something I was unaware of

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It takes a special kind of crazy to think that not only are you the instrument of God's will, but that His will is a derisive fart.

Old testament god did some pretty weird poo poo to people, I could see him laying down some gas on a community that pissed him off

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

He was used to hype up TV taping crowds between 1995 and 1999

Imaging this thing trying to get a positive response out of a late 90s wrestling crowd is fun

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

Bubsy was never popular so nothing woudl ever be inspired by him

Counterpoint: if any wrestling company was so weirdly out of touch that it would make a Bubsy-inspired character it would have been WCW

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

God imagine having permanent injuries from a movie as awful as RoboCop 3. At least the first one had BITCHES LEAVE.

Well what's worse: having permanent injuries from Robocop 3, or having permanent injuries from say, CZW?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I think that's less surprising than the fact WCW thought Ed Leslie was worth $150,000 a year.

I think the name he mentioned had something to do with the name and circumstances you mentioned, and also the company you both mentioned

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do we know Hogan's reaction to this? Did he ever comment on it? Or on the way teh next night at RAW Shawn laughed off the loss entirely.

Coz I can legitimately see Hogan not noticing, and indeed thinking, "this kid is making me look like a million bucks. I can see him having a future in this business."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UZ1XgAmog

It's pretty standard Hogan

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Although those numbers are insane, I'm surprised they're not higher.

Jerry Flynn was making $150,000 a year and I wasn't even aware he existed period until a year or so back when someone posted his website offering to wrestle at birthday parties

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ParanoidInc posted:

hogan has always looked a good 20 years older than he actually is/was to me

I was baffled as a kid that hulk hogan was so popular cause to me he looked like someone buffed up a grandpa

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Hogan could still get people riled up with his promos when he had something to talk about, but otherwise he would go on way too long and say "brother" and "jack" way too many times. I would still take them over any long HHH promos, which are similarly self-aggrandizing nonsense but without any of the fun MST3K factor of Hogan claiming that all the real niggaz in tha Hood call him Wood. I wouldn't take it over Austin, though, and I hated Austin.

It's funny but I didn't really like or get Austin's character as a kid until he turned heel. Bald angry redneck did not resonate with me and I'd mostly just get irritated when he'd gently caress with/chairshot other faces

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Russo didn't help but Bischoff was already enough of a moron to destroy wcw by himself. We're there any wrestling promoters in history who weren't absolute retards in one way or another?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Croc posted:

I think Jake had reached Keith Richards levels where he'd transcended the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol and was basically sustained on them!

Yeah if he wasn't dead by then I really doubt a few more years would've taken him out. Hall was the one who kept having legit come-to-jesus medical emergencies

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Just a little bit of random WCW nostalgia. My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show in Oakland when I was 7 and it was headlined by Sting vs. Rick Rude in a cage match. One of my good buddies was also at that show, we went back and looked at the card and holy poo poo it had a ton of guys who were or went on to be stars: http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=48630

Nash, Dustin Rhodes, Austin, Foley, Steiners, Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, etc. Crazy to think about now.

I went to the link prepared to find some no-name to mock but came up short outside of like curtis hughes, who I have no joke material about

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

It did have Marc Mero

Don't punch down, bro

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The first page of this thread was 2009 during hogans insanely poo poo tna stuff I don't think he had a ton of goodwill running then either except ironically

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Tilt the World Suplex" sounds a lot more impressive of a name for it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

So there's a small chance it might be bulshit, but I do recall this being mentioned in the Death of WCW. A reddit user has posted some concept art for a proposed WCW cartoon back in 1999. Someone tweeted Bischoff and he said he's never heard of it but the book mentions that it had been proposed around 1999 but got squashed in early 2000.

https://imgur.com/a/aI1gZ

Tex Mech is an amazing villain name and holy poo poo Eric Bischoff as the teen hero is hysterical

This looks too 80s even for the 80s, let alone nearly 2000

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

Starbucks will give you benefits if you work over 20 hours a week so it's possible he has some sort of medical issue he's trying to take care of.

He's also almost 60 and it's not uncommon at all for people to pick up extra jobs for benefits/something to do at that age. I worked retail for a little over 8 years and there were a ton of people that didn't have to work but did for discounts, benefits, busy work, extra spending cash etc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exploding mummy posted:

Yeah, Tony was a pain to work with towards the end of Nitro, but I think the only one who he ever royally pissed off was Heenan. (Mostly because of Monsoon)

But its hard to say that bridges were burned after WWF didn't offer him a contract after the sale and he basically chose to leave the wrestling industry to go back to what he originally had been doing.

He really never looked back, and he's seemed to be on pretty good terms with Tenay and others, after everything had a chance to simmer down.

Foley was buddies with him and said that despite the "that'll put butts in the seats" call (which obviously wasn't Tony's idea) they remained on decent terms

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quote:

By the way, as a trivia note, the big bald guy that Tank runs around with is the same guy who ate Frank Shamrock's shoes after he poured Nachos on him and challenged him to a fight the night before a UFC show in late 1996.

what

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh right, "ate shoes" in the sense of being kicked, not actually eating Ken's shoes.

I'm not sure why it took me that long to figure that out.

I'm so disapointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When did Russo turn into Eugene Levy