Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and it would have been interesting dynamic considering that Scott Hall was bullying him early in his WCW run but fortunately Hall was apparently one of those movie bullies who really do back down when you stand up to them.

Hall also put him over clean against management's wishes because he thought hid version would get better heat (Hall was right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The funny part is there of course IS a Ciclope but there actually there was a wrestler there in the Cruiserweight Battle Royal who was put in to make people think that he was going to be the big reveal called El Grio (who was actually Ciclope under the hood), but surprise it was me, Dean-o.
Tony's call when Malenko unmasks is great

THATS...THATS NOT CICLOPE!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair, I think it's been good enough. He's had a really long career, much of which was upper mid card, albeit with a couple of questionable world title runs, but that puts him above the vast majority of wrestlers over the past couple of decades. Considering his height, it's a pretty big statement that he wasn't relegated to catering or purely joke status.

Even Dominic getting a chance/push is high praise for how much the fed actually values him.

Not only that, they didn't give up on him, which they've certainly done in the past

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What guys did WCW use better than WWE?

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham, 2 Cold Scorpio

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

I fell down a rabbit hole watching random episodes of WCW Saturday Night from the early 90's on youtube Zbyszko was in the midst of a really awkward face run after getting kicked out of the Dangerous Alliance, I think.

He was going by Larry "the Cruncher" Zbyszko, I'm not sure why but that was extremely funny to me. "Watch out, he likes chips! Hide the vegetable trays, Larry's in town!"

It was because he broke someone 's hand by slamming it in a car door

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Savage worked a southern style way better than Hogan did (who, to be fair, never really had to work it) and WCW fans responded to that better, I think. Savage spent the first part of his career in the south and when he was signed to the WWF he was working in Memphis. Also Hogan was just ridiculously shoved down the WCW fans' throats when he turned up, immediately becoming the Poochie.

Hogan did work in Memphis, just not for anywhere as long as Savage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BodyMassageMachine posted:

OSW Review had a thing on one of their Wrestlemania recap videos (8?) chronicling how nearly all of Savage’s big title wins were eclipsed by Hogan’s grandstanding. I think WM8 is the only time Savage won the main title of a company without Hogan coming out during/after the match to hot-dog-about and make it about the Hulkster instead of, you know, the guy that just won your World Title.

Funny how it played out the same way in WCW. Savage was past his prime, yeah, but imagine if he was able to get out of Hogan’s orbit and treated as the respected veteran he was (instead of yet-another one of “Hogan’s Friends”). Kind of astonishing the two guys worked together as much as they did considering Macho (deservedly) hated Hulk’s guts at times.

Even Savage's debut was colored by "will he shake Hogan’s hand or slap his face?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Heenan in WCW is really not worth a drat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Important question from the dying years of WCW: I remember Mark Madden being confronted on air and it turning out he'd legit pissed off either Sid or Steiner with a remark on commentary, which was it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Not only was the gimmick incredibly racist, Fuji couldn't even do anything. His back went to crap long before Bobby's so he couldn't do bumps, couldn't give good promos... I guess he was an example of Vince's weird bursts of loyalty?

IIRC when Sr sold to Jr there was a list of people he was basically obligated to keep around/look after, one of which was Lou Albano. Perhaps Fuji was also on thst list.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Might be totally wrong, but if I remember right, Fuji's real job was as a fixer. The guy you call when one of the boys does something stupid and you have to send someone to keep them out of prison.

I've heard something like this as well, now that you mention it.

He was also very fond of taking new guys bags and padlocking them to overhead pipes in the locker room.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

So glad this ended with “padlocking them…” and not “taking a poo poo in them”

I mean I wouldn't rule it out

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jacques Rougeau tried to get Steen to sign one of those. And I'm pretty sure Kevin was a minor.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As I recall Kevin was pulled from a dark match with WWE because he said no

I believe mrt was being facetious, stab

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Vader also didn't know how to work less stiff and hard hitting for the US which 100% was gonna get him in trouble in WWE

Really ending up in All Japan was the best for all involved

Sure, but they knew what they were getting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That's a great example. I remember in his book Bret felt honored he actually got a clean pinfall (or submission, I forget) off the Hot Rod.

Same finish as Bret vs Austin I, turned a sleeper into a pin (after Roddy realized using the ring bell wasn't right)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude open hand slapped him into unconsciousness

Supposedly Rude could KO someone in one slap on command and any time people gave him poo poo when he was a bouncer, he'd just KO them, problem solved.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was a terrifying one where a fan came into the ring and pushed over a ladder while Eddie Guerrero was on top of it.

Eddie, no joke, initially thought it was Crash Holly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The only thing problem I had with Hawk promos is that due to the timeslot and era, he couldn't go as far as he clearly wanted to. So you have him talking about killing someone and then comparing them to sweat socks instead of a pile of poo poo or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6kpHpcfdY&pp=ygUOSGF3ayByaWMgZmxhaXI%3D

Hawk does not fear your censors.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The story about Styles knocking Foghorn Leghorn Jr on his rear end is good, but the one where Blackman does it is even better because the longer version I heard consists of JBL apologizing and basically begging for his life while Ken Shamrock, I believe, is trying to talk Steve out of murdering his rear end

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Vader was obviously a big dude and worked snug but was he ever regarded in the same breath as folks like Meng or Regal?

He nearly lost his eye against Stan Hansen and kept on truckin'

That said he also lost badly to Paul Orndorff in an actual fight

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 24, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

I know a wrestler who was the worst at washing gear, so they ended up getting popular enough that they constantly had new gear made and would change when it started to smell

Like that rapper who would buy underwear to wear once

Was it Franky

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What a weird thing to say

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know who colonel Parker or Harlem heat is. I've only watched I think late 84-mid 1990.

Like there has always been some racism, but I feel since Dusty's firing it keeps getting worse.

Parker is basically Foghorn Leghorn/Col. Tom (the guy who managed Elvis) as a wrestling character.

The original idea for Harlem Heat, a pair of real life black brothers, was for them to either be chain gang guys being lead to the ring by Parker who I guess would be their warden/gang boss, or straight up plantation guys with Parker as their owner. Making it worse, half the team actually did time for armed robbery and probably didn't want to be reminded of that time of his life.

Supposedly it was Sid's idea as part of his deal, as he demanded booking input and got it? I'm not sure about that part, but I've seen it claimed a couple times.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 28, 2024

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it rules you can see a grain of truth in some hogan stories and then he says something insane like auditioning for metallica

The wild aspect to me is that he has lead a life everyone in the wrestling industry would love to have, and a lot of people in general would. But he simply can't help himself and and he not only tells huge whoppers but easily disproven ones.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's been dropped on the head a lot, OP

I mean sure but he's seemingly been full of poo poo his whole career according to his peers, I think it's a compulsion or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

91/92 wcw is unironically kind of my favorite wrestling to watch. like its not the BEST era by any means but boy is it charming.

I'm in a similar boat. They give people time in the ring and a decent portion of people getting pushes are people I love to watch, like Rude and Steamboat