Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Treytor posted:

As someone who is always working on various web projects, and has very limited programming experience, this thread would be an invaluable resource for me to get in touch with and hopefully hire some good goon developers.

I'm actually interested in hiring a good database developer / web designer right away.

I look forward to getting in touch with some of you guys.

Thanks Ned!

Quoting you specifically because I'm available to work right away, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's interested.

Languages: PHP (and MySQL), Java, Python, Obj-C
Frameworks: Django, CodeIgniter, Cocoa/Cocoa Touch if you want to call that a framework
Things you like to do: Web apps, iPhone apps, desktop apps, anything really
Availability: I'm on winter break right now, so full-time until late January. A few hours a day after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Hoborg posted:

Also, I have a secret shame: my parents set up a little fund a while ago to put my tuition fee expenses in to, and I er... raided that fund, so I'm keen to get that account back up to level without them noticing.

I would love to see some more detailed statistics about this.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Hoborg posted:

Like how many thousands I 'borrowed' off my parents, or the statistics of how many other people worldwide play prodigal son?

Mainly how big the fund started out and how hosed you are.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Hoborg posted:

I've been a fan of Superjail longer than I've been a brigand to my parents.

In reality the situation isn't that bad: a friend of mine had a cousin who was leaving the country and had a web-hosting business to sell (just a simple reseller operation, nothing serious). I was looking to expand my current hosting biz by integrating his clients with mine, however I also knew my friend was looking to establish his own hosting company too. I waged a bidding war with the cousin under the impression my friend was also bidding too and I didn't want to risk my friend winning. I was pledging money blindly and ended up winning (yay?) but drastically overvalued the company and it turned out that my friend decided not to bid for his cousin's company after hearing about pissed off former customers. I pledged somewhere around $4500 for the company, which was about 30 months' revenue (rather than the typical 18 months' revenue for business buy-outs). I didn't have the money on me at the time because I spent my student loan on buying more rackmounted servers for my existing operation, so I withdrew about $5500 from my tuition fund account thus accidentally overpaying the cousin by $1000.... and this was a year ago. I didn't get my $1000 back until this week when I threatened him with a summons when he returns home for his wedding.

As for the projected revenues I had for the hosting company I was buying (which would have given me an ROI within 30 months): the cousin didn't even transfer his clients' PayPal subscriptions to my account, he told me to email them myself (in reality, the contract I had him sign stated that he would just give me the password to his paypal account, that never happened). Eventually schoolwork got in the way and I neglected to take care of my newfound business (so a good 160 people have been getting free webhosting for over a year now).

Now, I decided to swallow my pride and start a partnership with my friend (who actually has a longstanding family grievance with his cousin anyway) and so he's taking charge of the business and billing side of things, leaving me to simply tend to the hardware and systems.

This isn't an e/n thread, I know I made a mistake and I'm taking steps to correct it. Do I get a cookie?

(though if anyone's interested in yet-another-goon's-hosting-biz then that's also welcome ; )

I have no words.

• Locked thread