Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Languages: C, C++, C# , Java, also PHP and client-side
Frameworks: (N)Hibernate, ASP.NET Web Forms/MVC, WinForms, WordPress, Mootools
Things you like to do: Web applications, Websites, WinForms UI design and development (WPF is overrated; I put a lot of effort into aesthetic WinForms). I also don't mind a brief game development stint. Also user-experience design in general. I'm also strong in PHP but avoid it for obvious reasons.
Availability: Short-term contracts preferred. Can do full-time but depends on my availability.

I have plenty of desktop and backend development experience so I classify myself more as a general "developer" than specifically as a "web developer", so if there's anything you need doing I can probably do it.

EDIT: Fixed formatting

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

LuckySevens posted:

Looking for someone with experience deploying a django site to help me get one I have online. Site is functional on a local test server, but I have no experience actually setting one up to production and would like a helping hand. If interesting PM me.

Edit: also contactable at colindoc at gmail.com

A while ago I was looking into setting up a Django application on a Linux webhosting account I had with some some reseller; they said that Django was somehow 'inherently incompatible' with the Python set-up they had. It might be wise to contact your web-host to ensure compatibility first before hiring someone to tell you the same thing.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

cliffy posted:

Did you guys just up and quit your jobs without something else lined up? How does that look on your resume?

I never had a job in the first place. As a full-time student with plenty of vacation time I'm usually able to do the odd-job here and there. Student loans don't pay themselves off.

Also, I have a secret shame: my parents set up a little fund a while ago to put my tuition fee expenses in to, and I er... raided that fund, so I'm keen to get that account back up to level without them noticing.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

dancavallaro posted:

I would love to see some more detailed statistics about this.

Like how many thousands I 'borrowed' off my parents, or the statistics of how many other people worldwide play prodigal son?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

epswing posted:

If the crying robot avatar is any indication, pretty hosed.

I've been a fan of Superjail longer than I've been a brigand to my parents.

In reality the situation isn't that bad: a friend of mine had a cousin who was leaving the country and had a web-hosting business to sell (just a simple reseller operation, nothing serious). I was looking to expand my current hosting biz by integrating his clients with mine, however I also knew my friend was looking to establish his own hosting company too. I waged a bidding war with the cousin under the impression my friend was also bidding too and I didn't want to risk my friend winning. I was pledging money blindly and ended up winning (yay?) but drastically overvalued the company and it turned out that my friend decided not to bid for his cousin's company after hearing about pissed off former customers. I pledged somewhere around $4500 for the company, which was about 30 months' revenue (rather than the typical 18 months' revenue for business buy-outs). I didn't have the money on me at the time because I spent my student loan on buying more rackmounted servers for my existing operation, so I withdrew about $5500 from my tuition fund account thus accidentally overpaying the cousin by $1000.... and this was a year ago. I didn't get my $1000 back until this week when I threatened him with a summons when he returns home for his wedding.

As for the projected revenues I had for the hosting company I was buying (which would have given me an ROI within 30 months): the cousin didn't even transfer his clients' PayPal subscriptions to my account, he told me to email them myself (in reality, the contract I had him sign stated that he would just give me the password to his paypal account, that never happened). Eventually schoolwork got in the way and I neglected to take care of my newfound business (so a good 160 people have been getting free webhosting for over a year now).

Now, I decided to swallow my pride and start a partnership with my friend (who actually has a longstanding family grievance with his cousin anyway) and so he's taking charge of the business and billing side of things, leaving me to simply tend to the hardware and systems.

This isn't an e/n thread, I know I made a mistake and I'm taking steps to correct it. Do I get a cookie?

(though if anyone's interested in yet-another-goon's-hosting-biz then that's also welcome ; )

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2010

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Jabor posted:

This, this a million times this.

Sure, it'll all look fine when the business is ticking over smoothly, but when something goes wrong, you'll either lose the business, or lose your friends. Either one is way more than you should be gambling on it going fine forever.

Or in my case, friends' family.

I want to clarify my use of the word "friend" when I posted my sob-story: we aren't true friends, buddies, chums, whatever, we've always known each other around a business relationship. In 2007, a little over a year after I finished HS this guy I knew (who was a year younger than me) was setting up an IT services company in town and needed someone with my technical skill to do the occasional 'more demanding' jobs that he couldn't do. I didn't particularly like him much at the time (in part because of his background) but I grew to like him on account of the sage business advice he gave me in the years afterwards. I think "professional, friendly colleagues" is better way to describe our relationship than "friends". Everything I do with him involving more than a few hundred dollars requires a signed contract specifically stating intentions, goals, and responsibilities, we're both happy with the arrangement.

He doesn't think any less of me for getting into this mess, and he's stepped in to help me get out of it. The situation isn't ideal, but it could be a lot worse. He isn't "helping me out of friendship", this is a formal business partnership and he stands to make a significant gain by working with me: I'm hopeless at dealing with customers and I wouldn't trust him with a Packard-Bell, much less a rack full of servers. Please appreciate that I can't describe everything that's happened in a forum post here, but it isn't as simple as "friend helps me out in dubious circumstances" that it may seem.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
User "Other Door" sent me a PM (seemingly in response to this thread) a while ago, I replied back but I haven't heard since. Did you get my PM?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

ex posted:

I am looking at getting some bids for a project I am undertaking. I need to forecast a budget and am really not up to the current rates for hiring a developer these days.

I have a template, created in Microsoft Excel, that I need replicated into a web site / database in Web 2.0 fashion. If you could email your rates and any possible portfolios/excamples of previous work to Kris at Kaperi dot com, that would be great.

Let me know if you have any more questions or require any more information.

I was going to send you a PM, but I thought I'd give you some public advice instead:

Designing a database from an Excel spreadsheet shouldn't cost too much; assuming it isn't that complicated (10 or less different entity classes) then I wouldn't expect it to cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Maybe add another hundred for the actual data import (if necessary).

Most of the work would be in creating the user-facing application for the database. That's where things get complicated:

You'll find some people, like me, who prefer to use frameworks like ASP.NET because it lets them get things done quicker (I reckon I'm about 3 times faster with ASP.NET compared to PHP, and I know both very well; note this isn't counting PHP frameworks like Cake), but then you run into platform costs (i.e. ASP.NET hosting fees are roughly twice that for PHP). Then you'll find people, often without any formal computer science background, who'll gladly do it for you in PHP, but there's no guarantee of a good quality product (I've seen as many bad PHP apps as ASP.NET, just so you know I'm being fair).

I digress. Assuming this is a simple CRUD application with user logins, a reasonably good PHP implementation shouldn't take more than a week and a bit if your guy is working full-time, but up to a month if it's some freelance college student who wakes up at 2pm every day. It shouldn't cost you more than $600USD, maybe $400 if the developer is desperate, but I'd personally budget around $700 just as a means of attracting more competent people.

I'm not going to bid for the project because I'm busy enough as it is (working with robotic arms is waaay cooler) but knowledge sharing is caring... :)

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Pungent Mammy posted:

Looking for a freelance dev that can create a simple web-based database for a client.

I need a database built that can generate sequential job numbers and store basic information for these jobs (amount sold for, who it was sold to, etc.) and export this information to an Excel file for admins.

It should have two tiers of users (2 admins and around 10 staff) that have different levels of access to these data. All users can input data, but admins can see and edit all jobs, staff can only see and edit jobs they have entered themselves. I'm hoping to integrate this into the website I'm building for the client.

This seems like a simple task, but it's out of my wheelhouse and I'm getting frustrated trying to do it myself. Any method is fine as long as it works in-browser. PM me or send an email to firstdayback@gmail.com with a brief description of your qualifications, your projected cost, and when you can expect to have a functional model to show the client.

Some headsup:

You can export to a CSV or some other text-based format trivially from any platform, but if you want to create Excel *.xls files then you'll be limited to Windows Server/IIS-based solutions because you can't instantiate the COM objects on other platforms.

Things are different with the OOXML-based *.xlsx file format, but I'm not aware of any (let alone feature-complete) libraries for working with them on PHP or Java.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
I'm working on a provisioning system (C# on .NET 3.5) and I'll be busy myself in a few weeks time, so I'll need a WCF wiz to complete the work.

The code is in three projects: a class library project where all the provisioning code exists, a WinForms GUI frontend application (which currently calls the provisioning code directly which runs in-proc), and a Windows Service project (incomplete). In future I'm wanting to add an ASP.NET client.

The idea is the Windows Service project will run the provisioning code and it will interface with the WinForms and ASP.NET clients using WCF.

I've already architectured the solution such that all the data that's needed is converted into a series of business objects that are passed between the WinForms client and the provisioning code, so all that's left is getting WCF to work with it. I hope it's that simple.

Feel free to PM me with your quotation and time estimate.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Lumpy posted:

No serious programmer will ever respond to "offers" like this, FYI.

The Yahoo address doesn't help either.

It's the project owner's responsibility to take on risk, not the contractor; if your business idea's strong enough then you can easily get a loan from close relatives or a bank to pay for the contractor's fee.

The fact you have no hard deadlines also puts potential applicants off because it hints you're not taking the project that seriously nor have it all set-out.

Every time I've been approached in real-life by people I know who wanted me to work for them in exchange for a cut of the profits all ended up failing in their business prospect and I'm glad I never wasted my time with any of them.

Come back with a solid business plan and some capital, then we can talk.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Lumpy posted:

EIther A) The game / idea / whatever will fail (which is most likely,) and you've pissed away $5k of :effort: or B) the game / idea / whatever takes off an makes millions, and the owner just gave away millions/2 when he could have gotten the work for $5k, which makes the owner an idiot, and nobody wants to work for an idiot! :)

But there is a lot of middle-ground between the extremes of A and B, I know a few people who have developed web-based adventure games (similar to Kingdom of Loathing) who are doing alright from it, pulling down about $20,000 a year in revenue from sales of in-game credits and advertising.

...but for those people it's now their full-time jobs, and considering all the time they put into curating their communities (by writing textual content and moderating the playerbase) they're getting a hard deal for their annual $20k, and I doubt they'd be willing to give away 49% of that to the developer they hired for a month at the beginning.

Conclusion: speculative work for a % of the profits never works for anyone.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

snailrush posted:

To keep it simple, I need some kind of web app created that can create a price based on a number fed into it (price scales linearly with the number inputted), and establish a PayPal transaction based on this price, using what I assume will be their Payflow Link, although I'm probably wrong. There will also be some stuff happening both before and after this transaction, but I'd rather talk about all that on the phone or in person.

Sort-of; you'd use PayPal's Website Payments Standard with IPN.

This kind of thing is trivial: you can write it in any web-app language. If I were hiring a PHP developer to build the system and basic HTML (not including any of the visual design aspects, though many PHP devs are alright at web-design) I don't believe it should cost me more than $500 for a simple single-page that does this:

if( formSubmitted ) {

price = k * valueSubmitted;

renderPayPalConfirmationButtonLink(price);

} else {

renderOrderForm();

}

...then the post-order processing can happen in the IPN callback code.

As a guideline for something with a good visual web design, maybe $750-$1000 tops; more mercenary designers/developers would try to squeeze more money out of out if they think you'll be making a pretty penny from your website.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

mowhonic posted:

I posted this back in January but the developer I chose was flaky and never sent me the test like he said he would. Now I am ready to start on it again and get it done.

Here is a sample of the data we can output from quickbooks: http://goo.gl/wU0ZE

Looks like a fun and interesting challenge. I can probably whip something up for you in .NET in a couple of days, is that acceptable?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Paolomania posted:

Come on people, you know you want to do systems-level computer security research for MIT! Perks include working in the same building as Chomsky and getting random rants from RMS broadcast to your inbox.

It looks attractive, but I don't think I'm 'elite' enough to work at MIT. I also assume that MIT wouldn't be interested in sponsoring a foreigner to take the job?

What I am curious about is that you guys can't just hire an undergrad of yours who is graduating this summer.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

bobthecheese posted:

Location: UK (Anywhere in the UK - I'm visaed up, and I'll come to you)

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you're not an EU citizen?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Phatzilla posted:

You can hit me up at phatzilla1 -[at]- gmail -[dot]- com

I sent you an email on Sunday morning. Just checking in.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

cletus42o posted:

If there are any goons that know ColdFusion and are looking for full-time work in NYC, hit me up for more info - PM or cletus / fourdown -- org.

Out of curiosity, how is ColdFusion holding up as a web application development platform these-days? TBH, most I hear about it today are when companies are looking to replace CF applications with something more scalable (MySpace comes to mind).

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Phatzilla posted:

If anybody is good at working with RTSP and meets the follow criteria (for a desktop app):

Able to multithread

Able to incorporate proxies (with the RTSP)

Able to do some simple web scraping

Basically need a simple app that loads up rtsp videos through proxies, in a nutshell. Email me at /redacted/ for more information.

I took on this job shortly after Phatzilla posted it - I made a good start with this project getting the groundwork done and got my RTSP code working fine too - but then I realised I then needed to implement SDP, RTP, and RTCP netcode as well; to make matters more difficult there is surprisingly little existing open code implementing this (the only example we could find was ffmpeg's ffplay). The RFCs describing these protocols are devoid of 'here's how you use them in reality' examples and I ended up bring procrastinating on it - then I made the mistake of letting my client's emails slip by in your inbox for a week or so - understandably Phatzilla terminated the gig and if I were in his position I'd do the same (even more-so considering I thought this would be a straightforward two-week job, it ended up taking almost two months until termination).

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

DotFortune posted:

Languages: C, C++, Obj-C, Java, Perl, Python
Frameworks: iOS/Android SDK, Django
Things you like to do: I've been working on a lot of mobile stuff lately, but I'm open to discussing anything.
Availability: I'm looking for a full-time internship during the summer.

Are you still in college? If so, have you considered applying for an internship at Microsoft? Don't worry if you're not a 4.0 GPA student - if you've done a lot of stuff in your spare time they'd certainly let you in for that. They're on the lookout for people with good C++ skills (and your platform experience is irrelevant, honest!) so give it a shot.

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 28, 2012

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

bobua posted:

Looking for a Java developer for a project. We need some code that can find a person within photograph, and then crop the image down to a certain number of pixels around the person(just a nice big box, not actually cut their shape out or anything). You'll have an 'empty' image to compare to that won't change(besides time of day lighting type changes). The person could be sitting or facing different ways, so image or shape recognition wouldn't work I don't believe, but I really don't know.

Basically, we've got piles of huge images that need to be cropped down.

I've done this in C# as part of my degree's FYP (a human-tracking sentry gun) - but it wasnt perfect, and did require the Person's shape to be fairly well-defined. It didn't use any face-shape recognition techniques (like you get in modern cameras) but body outline recognition .

If you're interested, I can modify my C# program for your needs. Would that interest you?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw you said you can provide "empty" shots that would serve for a diff comparison, so I could build that in too.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

duck monster posted:

Which is a bit redundant here, since lamp stacks are the NATO standard of the web world.

Developers targeting the LAMP stack only needs to concern themselves with the "MP" part - the L and the A are interchangable for {{B,W,M},{A,I,L}} respectively unless the web application has specific system requirements (which immediately makes it suspect - if a PHP application is calling system() then something really bad is going on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Just doing a crosspost from the Job Fair thread:

My experience: Software developer as a freelance contractor since 2006 for numerous clients. Notable recent work include SA's own Treytor (I built a developed an outgoing phone call system that handles 5 million calls a year) and the Something Awful Archive Search engine.

Here's my strong areas:
  • C#, .NET Framework, ASP.NET (especially MVC) and WinForms.
  • I can do VB.NET, but only if you let me stab you in the spleen first.
  • Java, but if this is a new project then you must have a good excuse.
  • C/C++. I can do these for smallish projects, or if you'd like me to maintain an existing program/system. Don't ask me to create a new GUI program as I lack competency in that area. I'm familiar with Win32.
  • Website design - I'm good at site design too, it's what I was doing before I learned to code (and what got me into Computer Science), but I've kept my design streak throughout my life as a coder.

About me: Fairly-recent Computer Science BSc. I got YoTJ this October, but until then I need some jobs to help pay the bills.

What I'm looking for: Anything that involves writing code and getting paid for it.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything that doesn't involve writing code.

Where I live: Somewhere in the UK

Where I'm looking: Internet telecommute.

When I can start: Immediately. I'm available until September.

Can be reached via: PM, email: shsc.10.destructoid@spamgourmet.com

• Locked thread