Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Languages: PHP, SQL, Javascript, some C, some C++, learning Python, and all the other web stuff (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Frameworks: Most PHP, jQuery (I've written my own framework - http://leftnode.com/artisan-system)
Other Skills: Linux server administration (everyday shell scripting), TDD, Wordpress, Drupal, ExpressionEngine, eCommerce (most major software)
Things you like to do: Just about any coding
Things you hate to do: Nitpicky graphic design, or rather, I'm a more talented developer than designer
Availability: Immediately

I have a bunch of open source stuff, my GitHub account is https://github.com/leftnode and I can provide links to tons of websites I've worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Let me guess, anyone who gets the privilege to work with you also has to sign an NDA so they don't take your ideas.

See, JMilton, developers get hit up all the time by people who have the next big idea. The next Facebook, or Twitter, or Pintrest, or whatever is hot. They get hit up by marketing majors who barely know how to open Excel, but just know that their idea is gonna be the next big one, if only they can get some developer to code it. Every competent developer on these forums have at some time or another been approached by someone who is not a developer and promises equity in the LLC they paid $300 to set up to build them the next big thing. And this is for building easier things like websites or iPhone apps. Building what sounds to be a AAA game is incredibly long and difficult work. Just read about the death marches AAA companies put their employees through, and these are well paid highly financed billion dollar corporations. Like everyone has been saying, if someone is that highly competent and willing to be put on a death march for a game, they're already making big bucks at an established company or are starting a company themselves.

"If Facebook has 800,000,000 users, and we attract even 1% of those people, that's 8 million users!"

Well, what happens when you attract 0% of those users?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Crossposting from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135

Who are we?
Speed Commerce

Where are we?
Dallas, TX

What are we looking for?
Good, accomplished PHP developers. We're really hungry for good developers that will be working on 3rd party logistics, warehouse, and e-commerce software. You'll be working on complex problems on an old out-dated codebase. I'm not going to lie: as bad as PHP code can be, some of this code is the worst. But, we're on a path to upgrading it which you'll be a part of. We work with incredibly challenging problems at a large scale as well. Your work, when deployed, will immediately be used by millions of people, so if you get a kick out of that you'll enjoy it here. We need people immediately so the sooner you can start the better.

Experience in Symfony2, e-commerce, or even 3rd party logistics will really help.

How do I apply?
Email me at vic.cherubini@speedcommerce.com with a resume.

Anything else?
Pay is very much above average for the Dallas area, benefits are good (dental, health, vision, 401k + matching). Unfortunately this is not a remote position, and I can check on re-location assistance, but the last time that came up (early 2012) Speed did not offer it.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Yeah, it's a major bummer. I'll check with HR to see if we offer it now.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

I have what I think to be a really great app idea (really! I've done research and nothing like it exists, and it'd solve one of my problems at least) but I hate Java with a passion. Is there a way to safely pitch it to somebody for a feasibility and cost analysis and not get snookered out of it if it really is the monster I think it is?

It would be tough because every developer worth their salt has heard this same thing before. You could probably do better by:

1) Having actual real money to pay the developer. And more than $1500. Probably $20,000+. Oh, and actually give them a decent share of the IP, like 25% or more.
2) Demonstrate there is actual value to this idea - like set up a landing page, put some Google Ads out there and see if people will give an email address because they like the idea.
3) Use some non-Java framework like Phonegap and do the work yourself to get a basic prototype working.
4) Having no competition is not necessarily a good thing. It could mean that other people have tried this idea and failed, or that no one else will touch the idea because it's a bad one.
5) And really, you hate Java so much that you can't build a basic prototype? I mean, Java has it's warts but it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

Thing is, if somebody were to hear the idea, say it's a monster, and agree to do it for 25% and $20k, I'd be all over it. I just don't know how to weed out A) the people that'd say it's a terrible idea just so they can run with it themselves, or B) the people that'd say it's a brilliant idea and whip up some lovely static paged app and walk with the $20k. For what it's worth, I've been kicking it around in my head for a couple months now, and I can honestly say I'd use it at least a couple times a week, and I'd bet you would too.

A is very unlikely to happen. Developers have a thousand ideas themselves and not enough time to implement them. And your idea is worthless without implementation which is what counts.

B good developers will use contracts, master service agreements, and statements of work to detail what they will do. And you won't cut them a single check for $20k, you would split that up into milestone payments upon completion of work.

It's great you're asking these questions, but developers have heard them all before so we're a bit wary of this scenario. Finally, getting rich in any app store is VERY difficult. There are tons of articles recently about this.

• Locked thread