Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cross post from the iOS thread b/c I don't know how to internet:

I'm looking for some iOS/Android app developers to add to my company's rolodex. We're a Washington, DC based design firm that sometimes dabbles in app design but not development. When a client comes to us with an idea about half the time we'll consult on/do some design and partner up with a developer, and the rest of the time we just pass it along to a developer if we feel it's totally out of our scope.

We need someone who's established / has a solid portfolio of work / is extremely professional / etc etc. We don't want to refer clients to some sperg-stoner who's going to miss deadlines and suck. Oh, and we always get real budgets for our projects... we're not going to spam your inbox with crappy stuff like, "I have this idea for this thing that's kinda like Facebook... I have $500." :) Or, if we have absolutely no idea how a project should be priced, we'll ask you for a quote.

We have a project coming along right now that would have a big video section, so experience there would be handy.

PM me your info (website / email / who we should get in touch with) if you work someplace I should know about! Danku in advance, goonygoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My company, ripe is looking to increase the number of freelance web developers in our rolodex. Please note that we are not looking for novice level coders (sorry). We're specifically looking for folks with the following skills:

• Lots of experience with WordPress and Drupal (Drupal is not absolutely necessary, but it'd be nice)

• Ability to take an approved .psd and code it into pixel-perfect thing of beauty.

• Past experience working with obnoxious detail-oriented designers who will annoy you with things like "That div is two pixels too far to the left! That blue #54a7cd when it should be #54a7cf!"

• Write semantic, (nearly) standards compliant, well documented code in various web languages (we tend towards open source, modern languages – advanced understanding of PHP / HTML / CSS / JS are bare minimum requirements).

• Ability to customize and create new plugins and widgets when necessary. I can't tell you how much I hate hearing "but there's not a plugin that does that."

• Inane things that I shouldn't need to mention but will: ability to meet deadlines, manage yourself, converse intelligently and professionally with clients if necessary, provide accurate quotes for both time and budget, etc.

Shoot me an email with your info and whatnot at ian [at] ripe [a period] com. Please make sure to include your rates or I will ignore your email. We're probably going to have some projects in the new year that we'll need some help with, so I'm trying to get some folks lined up ahead of time. Thanks goons!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: position filled

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 19, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Or come live in NZ, we're not as racist over here. (still kind of racist sometimes). And we don't treat aussies here like kiwis are treated over there, we consider you people! (with silly voices)

What are the chances of you guys hiring someone from the US for a NZ position?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Immigrating to NZ isn't that hard, it works off a point system, and if you have a few years experience in IT and an job offer you're more or less guaranteed to get in as long as you don't have a criminal record.

Interesting, I was led to believe it was really difficult! Good advice on interviewing while on holiday, however.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Neight posted:

So, does this bill make sense?

Ask him about it. Asking a random audience who knows next to nothing about the project because you don't understand the words used on the bill A) means he's not so great at billing, but more importantly B) that you're headed down the path of becoming a bad client. "I don't get it, so you must be overcharging me," is something I've heard so many times that it makes my blood boil. Approach this carefully, because there's nothing more infuriating than doing a ton of work for someone only to have them come back and say, "Why is X so much? You must be cheating me."

$20,000 at $85 an hour doesn't sound like a ridiculous amount to me if you're having the dude develop something relatively complex completely from scratch. It does look like there's at least one item on that bill that could potentially be duplicated (the one with the same exact description at the bottom), but again you should ask him about it. The rest sound like reasonable development steps knowing what little I do from your description.

In the future ask for estimates before he starts or a proposed scope of work with a set budget instead of doing it hourly. Hourly work will always end up being way more than you expected.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I'd say listen to Plorkyeran and Bognar's comments in terms of whether or not a month of work (or $20,000, or what have you) is reasonable. Based on that more detailed description it certainly sounds reasonable to me. Knowing that there's a developer actively selling a similar product as a packaged service and that your software is supposed to be more accurate is also pretty telling.

Developers being bad at billing is painfully common in my experience. There's probably not much you can do to fix that besides asking him not to do any work until you have a solid estimate beforehand, or specifically asking for a proposed scope of work with a set price beforehand (like I mentioned previously). At least then you won't be surprised when the bill comes. If he's done this sort of work before he shouldn't have any problem quoting you a figure.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm in the market for a freelance Drupal dev. Clients ask for Drupal sites frequently enough that I need to have someone in my back pocket who can either sub-contract on projects or to whom I can simply refer clients.

Job Offer – Drupal dev

Languages: Drupal 7/8 & PHP are a must, front-end languages a plus but not required (I can handle front-end on projects if needed)
Availability: Immediate / ongoing

Please include some examples sites, bonus if you can provide code examples.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have this great idea and you will be really lucky if I choose to work with you because think of how much work you'll get when everyone knows you coded my idea! You should do it for free.

It's Facebook for Uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seeking freelance backend devs! I do a lot of frontend and UX work with a few different companies and we're always in need of reliable, skilled backend developers.

Languages/frameworks/tools: Rails, Django, AWS are immediate needs, but if you're using a modern, hot framework or language we're probably bidding on a contract that requires it.
What kind of work: Most of my clients are design/dev shops doing contract work for large corporations, non-profits or political organizations in the northeastern US. Most projects have relatively tight deadlines, but budgets are usually generous and the clients tend to be good.

Contact: PM or something.kedo@gmail.com, send some work samples if you can!

• Locked thread