Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Div
May 27, 2001

I work for the Maps Search team at Nokia and we're looking for experienced developers to join our team. If you've got an Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing or Machine Learning/statistics background in particular then you could join any of a number of sub-teams.

My sub-team is responsible for the architecture and reliability/scalability of the search system as a whole. We also design and maintain the framework/libraries that our candidate generators and federated search layers sit on top of. Lots of scaling up and scaling down challenges. We work primarily in Java, so exposure to that is required but we also use Python so competency with multiple programming paradigms is something that we also look for. Distributed systems programming is also something that would be a nice to have.

If you prefer checklists, then skills we look for in rough order of importance are:

1) Experience designing or maintaining large, scalable software systems
2) Strong Java/statically typed OO language experience*
3) Good handle on basic data structures and algorithms
4) Good handle on concurrency theory and practice
5) Python or dynamic language experience
6) Exposure to search problems

* For me this isn't so important that if you had most of what we were looking for it would disqualify you. It's hard enough to find people who can solve basic coding challenges, so we really just need smart people who would be fun to work and solve difficult problems with. So if you disliked Java and mutability and OO and decided to spend your time working with something like Scala/Haskell/Clojure/Erlang/etc. instead but wouldn't mind dropping back to Java for an interesting role then let's talk.

The team is split across Boston, MA and Berlin, Germany (where I am based). We're particularly interested in getting in touch with people who would be willing to work in Berlin, even better if you are legally allowed to :) We speak English and Berlin is an amazing city with a growing tech scene.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, or send CVs/questions to david.mclaughlin AT nokia.com.

Div fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread