Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

A big demand but an even bigger supply.
Oh I get it so that makes them bad.

I did a fair amount of job hunting last year and while my experience in "marketable" skills eclipse my experiences in php and web dev work, for every C++ or similar position that came up, there were a dozen or more for web development. Take a guess at which one I got hired in and what I'm working with these days (hint, it's the stuff that's highly marketable right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I hate php as much as the next guy, and I won't argue that there's nobler and more intellectually challenging pursuits than writing web applications all day. But this thread is about employees/employers finding each other, and the industry is currently frothing at the mouth for web development. So it kind of looks incredibly loving stupid to expect anything other than a lot of hits for people touting their abilities/needs in those areas.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
EDIT: position's been filled

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2012

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Gary the Llama posted:

Developer Wanted

My wife and I live in the east valley, she may be on the verge of jumping ship from her current employer and the description you listed would be right up her alley. I can't fully speak for her but know that the commute would be a nonstarter if it was an everyday thing, would you folks be open to some split of telecommuting and regular visits for meetings and so on? If that's an option I'll definitely get her in touch with you.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
You have trailing commas in your JSON structure, which I believe is against the spec but at the very least IE doesn't go for it:

JavaScript code:
{active: false, autoHeight: false, collapsible: true,}
Change to:

JavaScript code:
{active: false, autoHeight: false, collapsible: true}
It looks like there's a few spots like that. If there's more you can PM me or post in the javascript or other webdev threads, it should be pretty simple to clean up anything else. IMHO for problems this small it's better you stay involved and understand exactly what happened, why, how to fix, etc., rather than hire it out because my guess is this will be finished well under a day.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
We're hiring!

Who we are: A successful, cashflow-positive startup that's been around over 4 years and growing like mad.
What we do: We're in the healthcare industry, exploring a new sort of market with an IT-heavy approach to benefit employers and employees both in terms of individual/aggregate health profiles and giving them better analytics on their insurance & claims costs.
What we're like: We're very small team with very strong rapport built among each other. We're distributed with a lot of people working in different locations, but our largest is here in mesa where nearly all development and IT stuff takes place. Generally you make your own hours as long as you keep up with communication and urgent requests that come in (not a large issue, except sometimes for the 1st position listed below). Super relaxed environment. Very nice workstations with a friendly, accommodating CTO who will get us whatever we need to be comfortable and productive.
What we need: Two full time positions:

1) IT Operations Manager (less technical, but still technical)

Skills you possess:

• Comfortable knowledge of relational databases. Understanding of relatively simple data-draw SQL queries (select with a few joins), or if not syntax then at least how to manipulate and interpret reporting tools. You're the one assisting account managers translate what we have in the database into a specific report, rolled up number, or spreadsheet that is delivered to the client (when such reports are requested off the cuff and don't exist within our standard fare of automated reports).
  • Strong communication and correspondence skills. Typically you won't have too much exposure to clients but often a response to a client will be waiting on you.
  • Strong organizational skills and workflow management. We have tools for ticketing and project management which will help immensely but nonetheless you'll have to effectively manage your time so that eg. you'll know the degree of confidence you can say yes or no to committing to some new request and its proposed timeline.
  • Documentation and creating/deconstructing a processes to find weaknesses and coming up with improvements.
  • Familiarity with code (php in particular) is a big plus.
  • Strong ability with excel manipulation, knowing how to import/export a CSV, etc.

Things you will do:

• work with customer service reps and account managers to facilitate anything needed out of IT for day to day, week to week operations
  • Work with account managers (and sometimes directly with clients) to decide on contract specs, interpret their requirements into what we can offer, etc
  • Provide custom reporting requests and oversee automated reporting to ensure all goes smoothly
  • Do some prep work for new clients, be present for new client launches, assist account managers with email campaigns
  • Process census files from clients. There is a tool that does all the heavy lifting but this always will require a keen human element since it's accepting sensitive data from 3rd parties who don't always have their act together
  • A number of daily maintenance activities that come up in the normal course of things. Sometimes the lab work company send us corrupted or obviously-manually-manipulated data that can't be processed automatically
  • Process Improvement. Identify what could be factored out of your workload via smarter ways of handing off tasks, some new code to automate something, etc. Work with developers and others to produce a spec, etc.

Basically you are a technically literate operations manager. If you are a tech person who wants to gain experience into the business side of things or a business person who wants to gain experience into the technical side of things, this position is a management-level bridge for that.

2) Software Developer (entry level thru senior)

Skills you possess:

• PHP experience is preferred, but really any sort of background can fit. This is where I give the standard spiel about the language not mattering as much as the affinity of the developer to adapt and so on.
  • Ability to learn/follow HIPAA compliance, no matter how annoying it is. As well as SASS/SOX and a bunch of other standards that we are beholden to. You have access to personal info and medical data for many many people so you have to learn and play by the rules or we all get burned. A lot of this is already handled systemically, we have processes for testing/deploying and signoffs, so as a developer this mostly boils do don't do anything stupid, no cowboy poo poo, no developing on production, don't take copies of the database off site and so on. We have to give you enough access to technically be able to do these things, but you've got to have the self discipline even though as a culture we're small, fast and loose with a lot of other stuff. It's common sense I know but it's also complete zero tolerance.
  • LAMP stack familiarity is a giant plus. Working with Zend's platform is even better because that's us.
  • SVN, if you are familiar with git that's great as we would like to move to git eventually but for right now we're in the cutting edge of 2004 when it comes to version control
  • Query skills, basic query optimization, and the ability to create/debug large and intricate queries when the need arises.

Things you will work on:
  • A zend-framework backend application, a backbone.js frontend application, and a MySQL/galera db cluster (we have a DBA so you won't have to have much exposure to the underbelly of all that).
  • The app has a user portal, admin portal and client (employer) portal, with active development especially in the latter two
  • Freely weigh in on new features, implementation approaches, and so on. We want people who can move beyond just executing task lists and will make that sort of growth available
  • A small team of 3-4 developers with me as your leader and firewall to parse requests and requirements coming in from the company and clients.

Contact me through pms, here or email matt.cordes at gmail

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
My company is looking to hire in the Phoenix area.

Languages: PHP / LAMP mainly. Some frontend JS as well, a few projects have node.js, and one or two use Python. There's also a team on the java platform as well but usually the developers are silo'd into one of the two groups and we have a greater need for the LAMP/* group.
Frameworks: Depending on the project it's Zend Framework 1 or Symfony. backbone.js for some of the frontend sites.

There are a few positions open as well, broken down more or less as such:

-Full Stack Engineer (broad array of projects, some public facing, some not)
-Java Engineer (backend web services)
-UI Engineer (strong javascript with a mixture of work in html5/CSS3 and a little bit of graphical/PS/CS as well)
-DBA
-ETL Engineer (looking to put together active integrations into a single data warehouse from our various systems, for BI and analytics usage)

Here's the official listing for the "full stack" position:
http://www.freedomfinancialnetwork.com/jobs/149/full-stack-developer--php---1007

And for more general job listings:

http://www.freedomfinancialnetwork.com/jobs

Experience level can vary and of course you don't need to have exact matching experience with the technology stacks we use. The company treats their developers very well. Pay is above average for the area, good benefits, a wonderful development team, they'll get you what you need, etc. Feel free to contact me directly on here by PM or with the above address (email much preferred, I can easily overlook PM notifications on here). Technically we do have to put any applicants through the HR system but I'm able to short circuit some of that so you can apply directly through me or go to the site and apply there (where your resume/CV will eventually make it to me anyway). Any questions or anything as well just let me know.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread