Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yes, let's all get defensive when someone suggests in a slightly-aggressive way that people have pride in themselves and aspire to something beyond the 21st-century version of making fliers to hang on telephone poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

rt4 posted:

Google, basically an electronic brochure

Yeah, Google sure is a site written in PHP with a MySQL backend, like basically everyone here is posting as their "experience".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ned posted:

If you feel the need to bitch about languages there is a subforum specifically for that. It is called YOSPOS. This thread is for people to find jobs, not to berate people for not being as awesome as you.

<-- IF YOU POST SOMETHING UNRELATED TO HIRING OR BEING HIRED BELOW HERE EXPECT TO BE REPORTED AND HOPEFULLY PROBATED -->

Rudeness aside, there's a nugget of insight in Chain Chomp's posts. Namely, that having a broader range of skills (especially some more on the "computer science" end of the scale, rather than just "computer programming") will help people to find longer-term, better-paying, and overall more satisfying work.

Some of this just falls under "resume design"; a good 70% of the people in this thread didn't even bother to show off anything they did. I (and most people, I think) would assume that someone who did something cool would want to show it off when they're trying to convince someone to give them money, and without that, one can only assume that they didn't do anything cool. Not generally a good strategy unless you want a job where only the bare minimum is expected of you.

Case in point: GitHub's hiring strategy is to find the person who made that cool thing everyone uses, and then hire them.

Just because someone is sarcastic doesn't intrinsically invalidate their points.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hey. Hey goons. I want to crowdsource a video game. I wrote a story and got a guy who can do some amateurish paintings and a guy who knows how to run his hands randomly over a string instrument but now I need someone who has actual talent in any field whatsoever to let me live out my nerdlord fantasy oh PS I can't actually pay you anything but you'll get 25% of a worthless thing which is almost as good right? Right?

Please PM me for details and have an NDA signed and ready I DON'T WANT ANYONE STEALING MY lovely IDEAS.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Cicero posted:

You have no clue. Oh no, someone will steal your game idea! Except, there are about bajillion awesome game ideas floating out there constantly, and the difference between successful games and crap ones is rarely the idea, but the execution of that idea. Every decent coder comes up with at least ten times as many awesome ideas as he could ever actually execute on.

When you don't have the ability to actually create much of anything you get really posessive over the little scraps you've managed to put together.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

JMilton posted:

this guy has spent his life reading books and watching films

Wow what an amazing pool of talent you have.

(Incidentally, if the assets you posted were any good at all I'd probably have been more charitable but it's a bit late for that now isn't it?)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 21, 2012

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

epswing posted:

AvengingDentist, please confirm that you can indeed suck your own cock.

Why do you think I stopped posting for like 2 years?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That Turkey Story posted:

That begs the question of why you are posting now??

Got fat, can't reach dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hi I'm a linguistic prescriptivist and I heard someone is misusing a phrase in this thread? Can we get a mod in here????

• Locked thread