Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frahasio
Jan 26, 2006

JOB OFFER

I have a really niche web database passion project that i'd like to get built by someone who really knows what they're doing (i.e. not me).

Location: I'm in London UK, willing to work with anyone anywhere.
Languages: Will require PHP MySQL and possibly other things that I do not understand!
Payment: I have literally no idea how much this is supposed to cost, but as long as my wife doesn't find out i'm willing to liberate my savings account.

I'm on the end of emails pretty much 24/7 but if you're near me i'd be happy to chat on phone in evenings or meet in real life for discussions.

The project: a bespoke and idiotproof content management (CRUD?) system with some odd batch features and complex data relationships for a searchable database of early music sources - manuscripts and prints from the 16th century. Google MOTET database or RISM or DIAMM or CMME for an idea of the subject matter.

Must allow a few hand selected pals of mine (and me) to log in and populate the database one book at a time.

I have some preliminary drafts of how the front end should look and how the data should be structured but what the hell do i know?

Much more detail and discussion to be had. No massive pressing deadline, but obviously would like to get moving asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frahasio
Jan 26, 2006

Backend & frontend developers - full time jobs available

Apologies if there's a better place for this - please advise if so.

The company I work for has (foolishly) put me in charge of masterminding a complete overhaul and rewrite of our (e-commerce) websites and CMS. As part of that I have to build a team of developers who know their stuff. We're advertising in all the normal places but I thought I'd post on here too as i've had some success with goon developers in the past. I am not a coding expert, rather my expertise is in providing content, but i'm savvy enough to know where things can be improved. I'll need a serious pro who eats backend for breakfast and a junior frontend dev to connect him/her and the design department, make tea, pick up dry cleaning, comb my moustache etc. OR someone so exceptional that they can do both those things

The umbrella company has 4 or 5 trading brands (each with their own website) and all deal with musical supplies (instruments, accessories, sheet music, etc etc). It's a pretty big operation but very little of our business is done online (hardly surprising if you see the current sites).

The main system was built in the 90s using ASP.net and classic VB - not necessarily bad - but as the company has grown and other brands created/acquired, bits have been bolted on all over the place, resulting in a massive mess. The idea is that my team rebuilds the whole thing from scratch, working out the best way to do everything efficiently and idiotproofing/futureproofing as we go. Once done, we press a switch to go live and send the existing clusterfuck into the abyss.

I don't think the MD will be interested in a remote workforce (we've had trouble with that in the past) so it's essential that you are able to spend at least some of the week in the offices in Haslemere, Surrey, UK. I commute from London every day - it's not that far. The offices are well equipped and we'll provide whatever programming environment you reckon you'll need.

As for pay, I'm not party to exact figures, but it'll be negotiable i'm sure - my spidey senses say the company are willing to throw lots of cash at the right person(s)

If you think you might be interested, send a CV to frahasio at gmail dot com and I'll add it to the pile.

Frameworks/Languages: Whatever you prefer
Contract type: Full time

• Locked thread