Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
Languages: Python, PHP, JavaScript, MySQL, Java
Frameworks: Sencha, GWT, Repoze.BFG/Pyramid
Things you like to do: Web applications, anything really. Also pretty adept at Linux server admin, apache, etc.
Availability: I can work a few hours a day for the next 2 weeks, then probably limited availability for a few weeks. After a little while, I'll be looking for some part-full time work in Europe (I have a working visa for the UK, but I'd be happy to apply for one wherever you happen to be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Location: UK (Anywhere in the UK - I'm visaed up, and I'll come to you)
Languages: PHP, JavaScript, Python, Java
Frameworks: Pylons, Zope/Plone, Various PHP frameworks
Things you like to do: I'm comfortable doing web apps, but I'd also be keen to work on non-web projects, too.
Availability: Full time for 6 months at least.

I've had about 5 years working mostly on PHP projects, but it wasn't my first language, so you don't have to un-train any bad habits.

I've had more (commercial) python experience than Java experience, and more PHP experience than either of those. I'm keen to get out of PHP-based roles, but I won't shun the work if it's there.

If you want a formal resume/whatever, let me know.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

Hoborg posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you're not an EU citizen?

Yeah, I'm not an EU citizen, but I have a UK visa which allows me to work here.

I ended up getting a remote contractor job for an American company, and I'm now living in Manchester (I'm still not 100% certain why I picked Manchester, but I did, so there we are).

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2011

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
I'm a freelance software engineer, looking for contract/consulting work.

Location: Brisbane, Australia (although happy/looking to work remotely)
Languages: JavaScript, PHP, MySQL, python, Action Script 2. A little bit of Java, C, C++, and Haskell are all in my history, too
Frameworks/Technologies: jQuery, ExtJS, Pyramid, Django, Zope/Plone, Wordpress, able to pick up pretty much anything thrown at me.
Work Experience: ~6 years as a web dev, server admin, software architect, etc.
Things I like to do: I like to design and build systems from scratch; mess around with web frameworks; amuse myself with code
Things I am actually good at: Web Apps; refactoring old code; building things from scratch; waxing philosophical about 'correct' vs. 'right'; making things work
Availability: Contract/consultant/whatever you have going.
Proof of what I can do: I've got an open source project called MICO that I designed and built myself in my spare time over about a month.
Contact me: through PM, or at sam [AT] samuellevy [DOT] com.
Resume (if you feel the need): My latest resume (Aug 2011)
Web/portfolio: http://www.samuellevy.com

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Ding ding ding! Hell we even make fun of that internally.

Have you considered remote workers/contractors?

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
I'll just put this out there:

I'm a freelance web developer, and if you bring me a really interesting/challenging project, I may just give you 25 hours of free work on it.

I'm doing this to:

- Get some interest from new clients
- Find more of the types of projects that I'll actually enjoy working on
- Bring some crazy projects out of people (there are some people with great ideas, but they're hard, so they just put them on the back burner)
- Become less dependant on my current client base

Anyway, all the details are in the blog post linked above. A PM on here would also be sufficient (don't leave a project idea in the comments on my blog - I can't contact you from that, and I'm not about to try to track you down. Feel free to ask questions about it in the comments on the blog, though).

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

Xero is a New Zealand company with global ambitions.

I almost went with Xero for my accounting software, but ended up going with saasu, due to "number of transactions" and the like - I'm a sole developer, but I send a lot of invoices, and didn't want to pay an extra $300-$400/year (over what I pay with saasu) to be able to send more than 5 invoices a month. Your plans need some adjusting.

That being said, it looks like you guys make some good software, and there are features that I would have liked to have had (multi-currency in a sane way would be great, but I'm not paying $64/month just for access to it). I'm a php/python/javascript freelance web dev (based in Australia). I've got some C# under my belt, but probably not enough to consider calling myself a C# dev...

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

I wouldn't let that hold you back too much, typically our Wellington dev job ads have said something along the lines of "Knowing a broad base of languages as a well rounded developer is looked fondly upon, but primary development is in C#" And we've hired people who have taken a little bit of time to find their way around C#.

Our office in Melbourne is newly fitted out and quite nice I hear: http://www.xero.com/about/careers/job/1249496

As for the pricing stuff, it's not the first time I've heard that complaint, but we're not going for being the cheapest product, we want to be the best product. There's a free trial if you want to give it a spin yourself to see what the difference is.

I'll check it out, and might throw something in.

I get the "go for being the best, not the cheapest", but your cheapest option is next thing to useless for me, then there's a massive jump in functionality and price to get to something that IS useful. 20 invoices/month, and the option to add multiple currencies as a paid extra would get me on xero, but as it is, I can get by for $20/month on Saasu, and just deal with the multiple currencies by having different invoice templates. I'm sure it's not something you could do about yourself, but I've always thought that the best way to do different packages is to allow someone to get the basic package and purchase extras as needed, OR buy a larger package as a "bundle" to get the features included for a cheaper price than getting basic and enabling everything. That may be just me, though. As it is, you're essentially saying that only large businesses with 100s of staff on the payroll have a reason to use multiple currencies (I'm a sole trader with clients in multiple countries, and my situation isn't particularly uncommon).

Anyway, I'll see what you have on the careers page, and I may send my resume in (I'll PM you if I do), but forgive a man his rants about pricing.

• Locked thread