Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I had a couple questions about the stoker/MarEng spec pay freeze. I know they're combining HTech, ETech, and MarEng into one trade, but can you still get Spec 2 pay in this trade? I can't find any info after 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm looking to apply. :v:

The recruiter said that it hasn't happened yet, for what that's worth.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

At least it's not cold lake!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

"Career-long medical, dental and drug coverage and retirement in your mid-50s a bilingual spec 1 corporal with an indexed pension" sounded like a pretty good worst-case scenario to me. Federal public service is better still, but it was hardly a life of suffering I was in for.

Honestly it's a reasonable career option a lot of people overlook because they don't want to spend their lives shoveling poo poo and sleeping in tents while a bald bigot yells at them, when really for most people it's a mostly-ordinary job that has you doing cool stuff sometimes.

I'm loving hating myself for (re)joining in my 30's and missing out on maximizing my pension. I would happily buy-back the years between when I quit in my 20's to now if I could.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Did you know that having a kidney stone makes you medically unfit to enroll in the CF for five years?

I didn't.

Until today.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I understand the reasoning, it's just incredibly disappointing. I've got three kids and I'm in my 30's. I can't wait around for that long.

Five years. For passing a loving kidney stone. Jesus christ.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That's what urks me too. I have prior service, and released a decade ago. If I stayed in and had the stone, it's not a huge deal. But because I'm technically enrolling, it's a five year wait. :(

edit: Sorry, I'm trying not to bitch. I just never thought I'd have a "medical limitation" like this.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Nofeed posted:

You're probably not going Infantry, but we've had an alarmingly large number of candidates go down with kidney failure in Gagetown this summer.

Kidney FAILURE? Stones are, at best, the cause of 1-2% of kidney failures (albeit in the general population), so I'm not sure I'd call that the culprit. Nonetheless, that's still surprising.

Edit: I was going for spec pay trades (AVN/AVS/Marine tech), but hell I might just go Plumber for something that directly leads to a red seal trade if I'm at such a great risk of being medically released. Not that I'm super confident that my appeal will do anything.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 6, 2017

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

It used to be you had to float/tread water for 2 minutes, then swim 25m. I remember floating on my back for part 1, then kicking my feet until I made the distance. I don't think anyone in our platoon failed, and THAT's saying something.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

internal Public Service postings
that's the jobs.gc.ca thing you access from dwan, right?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Hey, how are the proud boys doing?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/military-personnel-proud-boy-s-incident-jobs-1.4269952

CBC posted:

He wouldn't spell out the exact disciplinary measures the members have faced but said they were removed from their workplaces and weren't allowed to handle classified material. He said they are experiencing professional setbacks and personal consequences in their units and the community.

None of the men received demotions or were moved as a result of the harassing behaviour. Newton said being on probation limits what they can accomplish professionally.

Speaking to reporters, Newton defended the military's actions, saying "this is not lightweight punishment. These non-commission members who are early in their career, have remorse."

"This is a permanent mark on a member's record," he said Thursday afternoon. "Any trespass against those conditions, any repeat leads to their release from the Canadian Armed Forces, or it's good potential depending on those circumstances, will lead to their release."

quote:

He also said the four are expected to learn from their "monumentally poor judgment."
loving idiots.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Well I finally got my letter from the recruitment medical officer. Yep, passing a kidney stone disqualifies me from re-enrolement. Funny, it didn't say anything about if I'm eligible after being stone-free for five years. I might follow up on that.

I was going to appeal (maybe get a CT scan showing I have no more stones), but I can't imagine it doing any good. I have a family to support, so there's no drat way I'm waiting five more years to re-join. I'm still pretty floored that a loving kidney stone is a dealbreaker, but I'm not the director of medical policy so what the gently caress do I know.

It's time to move on.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

loving Comox needs PLD. We're getting our asses kicked by the BC housing market (not to mention it driving up rent), and there's a 2 year wait for PMQ's.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: a bunch of bitching about Brookfield that's at best, second-hand rumours

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That'll make up for the spec pay freeze!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Okay, attached postings to a ship. Is there any admin/coordinating instructions? One of our members got a CFTPO for an at sea tasking and we have no idea how to DAG him.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Tl;dr: always travel on a travel claim

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2018

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

If it makes you feel better, I saw a "tl;dr don't buy a house on course" story occur in real time.

It wasn't me, but we had a couple people from our unit just take off on a TD halfway across the country without claims initialized, and now they're asking us for advances because they can't afford the hotels or meals. I was getting a little too specific with the details in that post and realized I was just venting frustration.

Nevertheless, a lot of heartache can be saved if you just visit your OR before going on TD/course. You're building a rod for your own rear end if you try try and do that poo poo later. These guys didn't even have an individual travel authorization/DND2999 done.

We had a guy move out of his apartment before a 6 month deployment. There's a ridiculous housing shortage here, with 78 people on the Pri 1 list for PMQ's, and mod tents set up because there's not enough shacks. Why the gently caress would you give up your apartment :psyduck:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 25, 2018

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Nofeed posted:

What. Where is this so I can never go there?

(Redacted). Turns out it was one for the summer while the cadets were here. There's places here, but the shortage has really driven up costs. A 2 bedroom apartment is maybe $1,200-$1,300 and climbing. Without PLD, it can be tough if you're first moving here.

The cost of living is otherwise reasonable, and it's a beautiful place to live. It's not uncommon for people to transfer to the reserves so they don't get posted out.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 5, 2018

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I don't actually know, but if you're saying a position might have opened up for a tailor then I need to dust off my resume.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

8 AM: Beardforgen is out! gently caress yeah! Morale up!

1 PM: CO calls a meeting. "Some pers may not be able to grow a beard because of respirators, and it might be unfair to them if all other members are allowed. We'll look into it." Morale down!

Lol aircrew

Between beardforgen and cannabis DAOD, I can't wait to see what the MND has planned for christmas.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I heard at least one unit was prohibited from participating in beard-growing contests as to not interfere with oxygen masks. Eh, might have been rumour in hindsight.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, the new requirement is "Finished Basic" now, not 10 years of service.
Ehh... finished IAP? ;-*

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The baggage fee for WestJet / AirCanada is worth it alone. It's like $30 a bag otherwise.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Who doesn't like a 14 step process with forms nested in forms and 45 differently signatures you need to get?

Get all that stuff done as soon as you can, including your DAG. Once you have your posting message, you can apply for Green Passports and Visa's (if needed), which can be a notoriously long and complicated process during their busiest time of year.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I got my pilots license through Air Cadets. Probably the best summer I've ever had.

I went back a few times to be a volunteer instructor. That part was fun. What wasn't fun was all the thankless admin for (usually) no pay. Summer employment was nice, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but Marty was a pretty well liked guy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-soldier-beaten-1.5279171

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its official. I'm fuckin stupid and I'm swearing back in on the 2nd of dec.

For your completion, allow me to email you your ECN, SDB, FCP, NOK, Memorial Cross Form, Will, Will Affidavit, TBS-330-23E... :suicide:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Just join the air force, goddamn. Get that spec pay, wear your comfy relish jammies all day long, and no living in a tent in the mud for six months of the year.

Potential recruits: if you take back anything from this thread, it's this.

Has the Navy spec pay freeze even been lifted yet?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If it were a Phoenix issue, CBC could fix your problem in three days!

gently caress Phoenix, seriously. I'm still waiting for my last paycheque from a contract I finished over two years ago.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

It's nice to read stories like these, it really reinforces the "gently caress you if you're still in" motto of GiP

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...ted-sex-assault

tl;dr female soldier gets sexually assaulted, confides in fellow soldier who accompanies her to MPs, gives report. Raped soldier is considered "unreliable witness" and other soldier is blacklisted by his command, going all the way up to CDS.

gently caress sakes. I can't believe they're trying to hang him with a travel claim of all things.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Tilt your wedge to the RIGHT. It's why God gave you an EAR! :argh:

Edit: I kind of wish my day was spent shovelling snow in Newfoundland. Seems less stressful.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 21, 2020

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

We normally had the right edge of the hat two fingers above the right ear. But the real answer is

compressioncut posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Unless you're an officer, I guess? Then it's okay to have your hands in your pockets.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

quote:

Advertisements aimed at the younger generation are also important. One proposal to highlight work and life balance for a young woman in the Canadian Forces called for a video showing a female soldier taking off her helmet at the end of the day while “male and female co-workers gather and agree to having a camp fire at a sandy beach.” Later they “grill marshmallows, laughing and relaxing.”
I'm picturing a commercial for herpes medication.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Thanks. I didn’t expect the RCMP thing to happen so fast. I don’t want to get smoked right out of the gate. Laying low will be nice.
How long did it take you, if I may ask? Is it still 1.5 years approx? I expect your degree probably fast-tracked you a bit (i.e. not having to write the exam).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

CANFORGENCORONAFORGEN 39/20 Summary:
  • CONPLAN LASER: ACTIVATE
  • You better have a good reason for going on TD/leave!
  • Wash your hands properly you filthy beast
Okay I'm exaggerating, but so are most people's reaction to COVID-19. Allegidly there were no more beans at one of our supermarkets. BEANS.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Recommend washing your hands with warm beans for 20 seconds

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The last two weeks has been absolutely dominated by COVID-19. I'm ironically considering getting infected so I can self-isolate and get away from it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

As there will be much uncertainty over the weekend, I encourage everyone to remember:

"Information will come from everywhere. Direction will come from the chain of command".

There's already been stupidity at all levels. Don't assume anything; listen to your bosses.

Edit: Also the Air Force isn't shutting down because we actually have jobs to do you useless fuckers.