  • Post
SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
So I wanna join the Forces and I need to decide on a trade, which branch / trade has the coolest uniform?

Kidding.

In all seriousness though, I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in Geography / GIS / Econ. I've been doing a lot of research and reading up on joining the forces, and I'm definitely interested.
Seeing how the only related trade is Geotech and they normally don't do direct entries, does anyone recommend some DEO trades? I'm thinking of Armored Officer but I'm really open to any suggestions.

Cheers

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Artillery has some surveying / map type stuff as the Recce Troop Commander, or Safety Officer. It's also a good go as far as the Combat Arms go, and the 777s aren't too broken yet.

Noted, thanks I didn't know that.

Barrakketh posted:

Avoid combat arms.

That's also been said to me (due to peacetime I guess?). Outside of armored I'm basically just looking for something that I can use my degree in, as well as translatable skills in the real world. I'll ask the recruiter more about Signals, telecom sounds pretty interesting.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 3, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Samu posted:

So if anyone is driving onto Edmonton Garrison and is wondering who the gently caress installed Texas Barrier chicanes at all the entrances to make life a living hell getting through the gates in the morning.

It was me. I did it. gently caress you guys I'm out in 37 days.

Samu, i just wanted to say i read this whole thread and following your journey from training the to that last post has been somethin

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 14, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

acumen posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Glad you got out early and didn't waste 25 years of your life.

drat, the reason i read all these posts was that i was just considering applying

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 16, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Do your time, learn a skill, do some cool poo poo, and get out. That's my take away from all this.

Budget cuts killed my motivation to stay in, but we'll see how it goes.

Yea that's the plan. Hopefully there are still DEO trades in demand and I don't wait 2 years to get in since my resume probably isn't top notch just coming out of Uni.

Although I'm kind of considering NCM because some trades look cool as hell

flakeloaf posted:

In a vacuum, it's not a bad gig. You basically can't be fired as long as you don't get hurt, you'll learn all kinds of neat stuff (some of it even useful), the benefits are good, a lot of the people you'll meet are rock fuckin solid human beings, and even if your career is a steaming heap a pension of 65% of a corporal's wage is enough to live on if you're not a total idiot.

If you're unable to work in an environment that doesn't give your accomplishments any validation and you can't stand the idea of a barely literate man child, who was only promoted to his current rank because some other section got sick of his poo poo and wanted him gone, jerking you around with temper tantrums because he thinks your life should suck as much as he thinks his life did, look elsewhere.

Hahaha duly noted. Love your Garrioch by the way

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 16, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Graduating next April and was considering going DEO, but it seems like NCM get to do more cool poo poo

but I'd like to tell myself i got a degree for a good reason dammit

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Holy poo poo, never enlist with a degree. Jesus christ, don't be stupid and caught up in the "glamour" of being badass or whatever.

As an NCM: we're all loving stupid retards who think our "salt of the earth" shtick makes our common sense better than an actual education or logic or any other modicum of thought.

Unless you're interested in a technical NCM position and don't want to be in a leadership role right away, go DEO.

Oh god okay thank you all for convincing me it's a bad idea. Although the reason isn't far off what I posted. The technical aspects of my degree (Geography/GIS) is pretty much only applicable to Geo tech, and Algonquin doesn't sound so bad considering I'm from Ottawa originally.

Otherwise I'd have to pursue my pirating dreams and apply for MARS or LogO because my vision is no bueno by like a fraction so I wouldn't actually qualify to do actually cool/boring poo poo like combat arms

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Got told there's only 8 positions opening for MARS all of next year

I though we were getting cool new ships whats goin on :captainpop:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

I know that Geotechs are an NCM trade but who "supervises" Geotechs? There's no officer GeoTechs so is it because they're just attached to an ASIC/HQ that they just run amock without needing officers?

If so, thats pretty awesome.

I'm interested in this answer also. I have a GIS/Geography degree and that's the only relevant trade that won't put it to waste...would like to cash in on some Officer pay instead...

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Make or break week for deo selections

pls forces just pick me so i can regret later

I think there's only like 8 spots left though so I'm probably too dumb and under the cutoff

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Welp , just got my offer for MARS today friends. 14 months after I walked into the CFRC.

I've read this entire thread ft. Samu's combat eng journey, some experienced peeps warning against going MARS, BMOQ advice, etc

Will go into this journey with an open mind and report back.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2016

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Other than the field portion, how realistic is wearing contacts to BMQ?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Bring glasses, because you really don't want to have contacts in when you do the gas hut. Otherwise, yeah, you could probably do with contacts.

Hizawk posted:

If possible, laser eye surgery is the single greatest thing you can get.

Especially if you go combat arms.

Wearing glasses or those BEW inserts make you look like a giant dork with a helmet on too.

Thanks guys, I'll bring glasses just in case. I've been on contacts for 5 years and a bit now, definitely more used to them.

Laser eye is definitely in my plans in the near future now that I'll have enough income for it. I have a huge head so not looking like a dork is already a lost cause :downs:

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Also if you want gas mask inserts made, a guy I went through BMQ with ordered a pair in basic and he got them 4 months before his contract ended. Only took 'em 2 years 8 months to make 'em.

Hahaha oh boy, duly noted.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
lol totally missed a word or two when I swore in yesterday

good thing I'll never have to see any of the humans from that recruiting centre ever again :suicide:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
the pool at CLFRS been under reno for awhile, we skipped the swimming portions when I went through

although if you're ever in a situation where you need to swim in the navy you're pretty much hosed anyways

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
I believe going from CFLRS to Esquimalt is as close to dying and going to heaven as you can get.

During my grad week, there was an outbreak of flesh eating disease of some sort (invasive strep?). I think a couple kids ended up in intensive care or somewhat if Mega rumours are to be believed.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Got my first feelgood coin today from commander marlant for puking my guts out aboard the Oriole. Surprisingly he actually had an idea of how miserable it can get on a sailboat.

Protip: if you get seasick easily don't go on a sailbot :shepicide:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Any sub guys here that can speak about their time on board?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

compressioncut posted:

Like in what sense? I have visited them and hoooooly gently caress, there is absolutely no way I could have dealt with a career there. I can't accurately describe how completely inhospitable they are, by which I mean the sub itself. There's no room for people. You're moving around and between equipment all the time, and I can't recall there being living spaces as such - just bunks and benches wedged wherever. I definitely remember that you wouldn't be able to roll over in some of the bunks.

There is a submariner officer who posts/used to post here, he'd have better detail than my abject, incohate horror at the living conditions.

I was on a course where everyone was to be sent submarines on completion, which as as far as I know the only time they voluntold people to go en masse. I failed the dive chamber test, one of the guys who made it had coffin dreams and is still hosed up, another never sailed. Of the 10 or so of us, only one guy made it as a career submariner.

Maybe it's a good go if you are a good fit. I'm not. Visit one first if at all possible.

Yea, that was generally what I was going to ask about. They're asking if anyone is interested in my trade. Gonna tour one of them soon so it might smash any inkling I have to go subs if I have the chance.

Edit: Man having to laser your poop is not ideal. The flats and messes weren't as small as I was imagining them to be though.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2017

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Hello. I am a currently serving Submarine Officer with 7+ years in boats. Happy to answer any questions you may have as long as its releasable. Either here or in PMs.

Hey thanks for replying. Just curious generally how the quality of life is on board and how different it is compared to the heavies when you're underway.

Also are you MARS/NWO or ENG if you dont mind me asking?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Arrinien posted:

Questions about the navy from a curious civvie: how much at-sea time could you expect over your career as say a MARS officer? I'm wondering how career progression works in a relatively smaller navy like ours. I'm even more curious about tiny ones like the RNZN but I don't think they have a thread.

Do we have any regular flag rank at-sea postings? If not, when was the last one, and around when could an officer expect to be shorebound for the rest of their career?

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty early in the pipeline, but I think this is the general idea.

You sail a fair bit at the early stages of your career (Anywhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of your time), but after that it really depends on your career path.
After you're trade qualified (3 years for MARS/NWO) it's generally a rotation between shore posting and ship posting.

AFAIK the pipeline is:

BMOQ (14 weeks)
Venture/Fleet School (MARS/NWO Phases II/III/IV) (Anywhere between 9months-2 years depending on how fast your courses line up or if you fail or not)
Posted to fleet as SLt, where you'll start to get your NOPQ qualification, which pretty much includes your BWK (Bridge Watch Keeper ticket), your OOD (Officer of the Day) quals, and sit a board at the end of it. Speed of this depends on what ship you're posted on and how often it'll sail. Generally it'll be around 2 years.
After you sit your board you'll be promoted to Lt(N) and shortly be loaded for a D-level (director level) course. (Navigator, Above Water Warfare, Information Warfare, etc). These courses again vary on how long they run.
After you get your D-level, you do your AHOD (assistant head of department) tour and then your HOD tour with possibly shore postings in between depending on the requirements of the Navy (TM).

If you love sailing and a true swashbuckler you'll have a choice to go for ORO (Ops Room Officer), the people who "fight" the ship and are responsible for most of the tactical operations.
If you aren't salty enough by that point and want to be part of a command team (XO or CO), you could go for War College.

The path up to your NOPQ qualification is pretty much set in stone, but careers after that really varies depending on everyone's personal ambitions.

Generally for a smaller Navy, you're gonna have a lot more "generalists" because we don't have the luxury of having sailors having specific jobs. I know on the bridge for American ships, there could be 2-3 people doing everything one MARS officer would do here, or in AUS/NZ.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 3, 2018

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Wait they make you guys get your BWK? The transport Canada one?

No, your CO gives you your ticket.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Navy's getting the new NCDs within a year :smug:

can finally hide the potbelly

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

I’ve applied for a nurseO position at my local reserve unit and it’s been a really interesting experience. In the year and a half since contacting the unit I have dealt with 4 different recruiters, 2 who never contacted me back. One was great and managed to get me connected with the local infantry unit to do my force test but they left and their replacement is a ghost. A friend who was previously in the unit and has contacts there said that the turnover has been wild and he didn’t know who to get a hold of for recruiting anymore.

I’ve been told they have a lot of vacancies for this position by both the former Fd Amb recruiter and the infantry recruiters... what is the best way I can actually help fill one of them? Would asking the infantry recruiter who did my force test and seemed to be a competent individual be helpful at all or would this break some unspoken code?

Unfortunately the byproduct of the recruiting bureaucracy is that you'll be on a goose chase some of the time, especially for reservists. If I were you I would contact anyone I could to move your timeline up. I wouldn't worry about contacting recruiters, it's literally their job and they'll probably forget about you the next day.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dudes at my office, for some reason, have interpreted the canforgen as meaning nobody ever will get new issue until all the sleeping bags are returned, whether the member in question has a bag or not.

I grow increasingly concerned that I too am deeply retarded given how these people had to have similar CFAT scores to myself to get into these trades.

Can we incorporate this into a new thread title? This just about sums up my short career so far.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

I did this and the recruiter contacted me to say he contacted the fd amb ppl and if they didn’t contact me in a week I can contact him again and he will try again.

At least he responded :shobon:

Good to hear, sometimes it takes a little badgering to get what you want. Remember that when you get in and have to sort out your admin.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Big F for anyone on Regina, Calgary, or Brandon

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

They were scheduled for a week or two of workups and were deploying later in the summer (RIMPAC I think). So instead of standing everyone down like the Atlantic fleet, they've been sent out to sea with a full complement for 40-50 straight days, after less than a week of notice to the crew. Apparently this was to isolate the ships before COVID gets here and preserve force generation and be able to have ships respond if anything happens. Thing is they're not even testing everyone fully for the virus before they embarked, all they were doing were taking temperatures. It's not like COVID can spread without symptoms right? So instead of being home with family in this trying time like the rest of their coworkers, they get to do circles for couple months at sea. As you can imagine, morale isn't great on any of those ships.

Of course none of the ships had a full complement to begin with, so they dragged people kicking and screaming from other ships, ships that deployed earlier in the year, ships in the ditch, people who were posted ashore that have the quals, etc and pretty much forced them to go, unless they had MELs. Also people who were on self isolation and had contact with people who fell sick were also forced to go if they were asymptomatic. Not only that, guess what some of them were using to take temperatures? TIC CAMERAS. That's right.

Bet you the donkeys rear end that you're going to see a huge wave of releases put in after this.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 21, 2020

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The situation in Esquilmalt is loving crazy. I keep hearing about poo poo like how they have guys with covid symptoms, who have been in contact with positive cases, still coming into work.

And that order to send the fleet out while sending all the reservist home.

We were short manned in the first place because NAVRES hosed their entire budget so reservist couldn't even cut contracts for the last couple of months.

It gets better. When Phase 3 of Op Laser started and the CDS mandates came out, wise folks at NFS(P) deemed that a NWO IV Charge phase sail was "essential" force generation (which is bullshit because the original intent to preserve force generation meant work ups for ships deploying etc). This meant again they dragged all these BWKs and crew from other ships from all over the fleet to sail on the tiny Orcas. Not only that they FLEW 14 mbrs from the EAST COAST THROUGH 2 INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS to support this sail because they couldn't even get enough people (this was literally last week).

Lo and behold, a week later people are falling over sick in the Orcas, people can't even get out of their rack from fever etc (whether from COVID or just the flu who knows), and they had to bring alongside two of the four ships. All of the crew sanitized the gently caress out of the ships and got told to stay home and "self isolate", with is code word for we hosed up but we don't want you to get tested to cover our rear end. But for all of those who were asymptomatic....guess who got sent to fill REG, CAL, BRN? They flew the east coasters back couple days ago because they were now scared domestic flights were being shut down (lol have fun importing our COVID FLEETLANT).

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 22, 2020

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
https://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/coronavirus-exposure-stalls-deployment-of-royal-canadian-navy-task-group/

:shepface:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
If anyone's thinking about joining, I'm literally leaving during a recession.

I might have to come crawling back, but I'll take my chances for now and I doubt they'll say no to anyone qualified at this point.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2020

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Always hits harder when it's someone you know.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Through the grapevine Freddy's boat was the first one on scene. Just horrible. The boats crew better get some good support after this. Can't imagine what they're all going through.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 2, 2020

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

compressioncut posted:

Most everything in the news has been inaccurate - the report from the Greeks has kind of made it unclear. Yes, Freddy was first on scene. Smoke markers were going off at the point of impact.

RCAF has shared pics from the flight deck ceremony today. The story wasn't passed on though - they piped flying stations, and tried to establish comms with the aircraft. When there was no answer, they secured flying stations and went below for drinks. They're coming alongside ASAP to meet DFS and all the support, and the det is coming home.

:saddowns: :saddowns: :saddowns:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

I'm applying to med school next cycle and was considering the MOTP for the free tuition and stipend. What's the catch?

You're in the military

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Jesus christ, video doesn't look good.

https://twitter.com/supermario_47/status/1262101139966750720?s=21

I think we need to change the thread title back

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Anyone in DND as a civvy? I'm out now but I have an opportunity to go back in, quarter zips and jeans this time.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Just wondering how you guys find working there. I realize DND is probably huge and there's gonna be some varied experiences, but this is gonna be the first time I'm outta uniform in an office. I think i need to go shop for some office clothing, my closet used to consist of issued gear and A&W shirts .

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want a civvy job with the military :saddowns:

Man ex-mil get hiring priority for fed jobs once you're qualified in the pool, I was checking the gov job site almost weekly during my 6 months.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-commander-haydn-edmundson-past-allegations-no-charges-laid-1.5941384

reset the counter

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

SRQ posted:

I just finished my interview today, really hoping for Armoured Officer. Postin' to say hey what's up and share that my parents had a laugh about how this process is too slow we probably didn't get into Afghanistan until 2003.

I don't mind it really, but not having set dates is a mild inconvenience.

Relatedly the video on the forces site showcased a horrifically rusty Leopard 1 model, do we really still use those???

Brave man, I can't imagine picking armour after the last couple months watching what has essentially been a showcase of the worlds ATGMs and anti-armour. Good thing is we're reasonably competent(?) at supporting ours.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4