Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of scaling, every time I print out some models, I wish I'd printed them in a different scale.

drat grass-is-greener effect... Guess the only solution is to do era in 2/6/10/15/20/28/40/54mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lilljonas posted:

How soon do you want them? I think Footsore's upcoming new set of vikings look to be some of the best vikings I've seen:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tMjo_gwlcCyXSLs

You can find more previews on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FootsoreMiniatures?locale=et_EE

I might have to pick some up to bolster my existing viking force, even if I never realistically get around to play Viking era Saga these days. The range will include berzerkers, and I don't have any yet, so that's an excuse.

Ooh these do look pretty good, I guess I can wait for them. Outside of Joms just gotta finish Irish, Norse Gaels, and a few random units here and there and it's onto Invasions

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Speaking of scaling, every time I print out some models, I wish I'd printed them in a different scale.

drat grass-is-greener effect... Guess the only solution is to do era in 2/6/10/15/20/28/40/54mm

ding ding ding! I have samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 1/72, 28mm and 54mm...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Paint your levies in 6mm, the warriors in 15mm, the guard in 28mm, the heroes in 32mm

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

StashAugustine posted:

Paint your levies in 6mm, the warriors in 15mm, the guard in 28mm, the heroes in 32mm
I too disable NLips when I play Homeworld.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

could someone with the correct sized minis show what this would look like?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
They're not Samurai, but I have Napoleonic French in various states of painted in 15mm, 28mm, and 40mm.

Playing Sharp Practice with 40mm minis is a dream of mine.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Count Thrashula posted:

They're not Samurai, but I have Napoleonic French in various states of painted in 15mm, 28mm, and 40mm.

Playing Sharp Practice with 40mm minis is a dream of mine.

same energy

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm going down a rabbithole of wanting to research ways late medieval/early renaissance warfare have been gamified (for a tabletop RPG), especially at the smaller scale. What are some good miniature games I could look to for 15th Century warfare? This is of course a period that spans a sea change in combat, but I'm mostly interested in specifically the Hussite Revolt and the 1470+ period of pike squares becoming the dominant form of warfare.

I've glanced a bit at games like Pike & Shotte and By Fire And Sword, but these are primarily concerned with 16th Century warfare, when firearms have really starting to come into their own—not quite the period I'm looking at.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm going down a rabbithole of wanting to research ways late medieval/early renaissance warfare have been gamified (for a tabletop RPG), especially at the smaller scale. What are some good miniature games I could look to for 15th Century warfare? This is of course a period that spans a sea change in combat, but I'm mostly interested in specifically the Hussite Revolt and the 1470+ period of pike squares becoming the dominant form of warfare.

I've glanced a bit at games like Pike & Shotte and By Fire And Sword, but these are primarily concerned with 16th Century warfare, when firearms have really starting to come into their own—not quite the period I'm looking at.

I dunno anything about it, but was just searching on what you said, but maybe look into Impetus?? One of the warbooks looks to have a section on the 15th Century and a section for Hussites

EDIT: Lion Rampant has a sample army list for Hussites as well so should work

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2024

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LatwPIAT posted:

It's a little early for your purposes, but Firelock Games' new Blood & Crowns covers the 100 Years War (which ended in 1453).

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure that Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe covers that period too, pike blocks are a monster to fight in it so that feels appropriate.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cassa posted:

I'm pretty sure that Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe covers that period too, pike blocks are a monster to fight in it so that feels appropriate.

Yeah, NMtB Deluxe is the game that actually got me interested in the Hussite wars. I hadn't heard of them before reading the rulebook.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
It was very interesting to see the Hussite Wars represented in NMTB Deluxe! Mostly because it is a conflict that is weirdly underrepresented (I imagine because it was centered on Bohemiam, with little to do with the US and the UK, so most British and American game designers instead seem to be content simply rehashing WW2, the Wars of the Roses and the American Civil War over and over and over and over again).

However I still am not entirely sure how actively useful the conflict is from the standpoint of wargaming. After all, one of the big elements of it were the novelty of the tactics and the inability of the crusaders to stop just charging into fortified locations filled with guns. So from a gaming perspective, it always feels to me like you need the player playing the anti-Hussite crusaders to actively be making bad tactical decisions, because that is what defined those battles.

On the other hand, I have also been recently thinking about historical-flavored games that don't necessarily try and lean too hard into the actual history. Partially because I realized that while I love the period of the Italian Wars I have a very low tolerance of caring about specific people and their flags and who was or wasn't at a specific battle, so I am starting to ponder simply making generic "Renaissance" armies to bash against each other. So I suppose one could do that with the Hussite wars too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jenx posted:

It was very interesting to see the Hussite Wars represented in NMTB Deluxe! Mostly because it is a conflict that is weirdly underrepresented (I imagine because it was centered on Bohemiam, with little to do with the US and the UK, so most British and American game designers instead seem to be content simply rehashing WW2, the Wars of the Roses and the American Civil War over and over and over and over again).

However I still am not entirely sure how actively useful the conflict is from the standpoint of wargaming. After all, one of the big elements of it were the novelty of the tactics and the inability of the crusaders to stop just charging into fortified locations filled with guns. So from a gaming perspective, it always feels to me like you need the player playing the anti-Hussite crusaders to actively be making bad tactical decisions, because that is what defined those battles.

On the other hand, I have also been recently thinking about historical-flavored games that don't necessarily try and lean too hard into the actual history. Partially because I realized that while I love the period of the Italian Wars I have a very low tolerance of caring about specific people and their flags and who was or wasn't at a specific battle, so I am starting to ponder simply making generic "Renaissance" armies to bash against each other. So I suppose one could do that with the Hussite wars too.

I read a history book on the Italian Wars when I started looking into making an army. And after reading it... I knew even less how to make an army. Or rather, I realized just how confused, chaotic and constantly shifting alliances and armies were in that war. I think using generic flags goes a very long way, though you can have a French, German, Spanish or local lord "flavour" to them if you want.

Also I thought that reading a book on the topic would give me a favourite faction, as I could not decide. Turns out, surpise, they were all assholes and I found noone that sood out as more appealing in any way to make an army for. :O

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That means tiu can just make one army and have it be any faction, like how a vouple boxes of dark age warriors gets you 75% of Saga armies

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes a lot of armies were mostly mercs and melted away when they were not paid anymore. So you can definitely make just a bunch of mercenary units and divide them in two armies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Excited about getting into Furioso for the Italian Wars. Especially because they have optional rules for da vinci esque tanks and guns if I feel like getting weird with it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

lilljonas posted:

Yes a lot of armies were mostly mercs and melted away when they were not paid anymore. So you can definitely make just a bunch of mercenary units and divide them in two armies.

Oh absolutely true, but it's more that I like flags and I like having loads of them, but trying to think of who's flags go where is just infinitely dull to me. So far my two options I've settled on is 1. Make vaguely appropriate fictional flags and just go with that or 2. Just don't worry about it, slap whatever flag makes sense on a given base of units, and history be damned.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jenx posted:

Oh absolutely true, but it's more that I like flags and I like having loads of them, but trying to think of who's flags go where is just infinitely dull to me. So far my two options I've settled on is 1. Make vaguely appropriate fictional flags and just go with that or 2. Just don't worry about it, slap whatever flag makes sense on a given base of units, and history be damned.

A lot of the landsknecht flags were very simple and generic, such as stripes of two colours.

This page is cramped with ads but has a lot of inspiration:

https://flagspennonsandbanners.blog...xp-GuyoCNoY&m=1

The guy (alea jacta est miniatures on facebook) mainly do burgundian wars banners but is pretty active and helpful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lilljonas posted:

I like the idea from Lion Rampant 2e where both sides make a standard list and then you auction off each unit before playing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also I swear I've seen some pictures of French tanks painted in a blue color but I can't find a good written reference anywhere, am I just going nuts

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

French tanks (I assume we're talking about WW2 here) usually came out of the factory with their camo applied, and the "black" colour they used for some parts did have a sort of bluish tint to it iirc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I found this photo of a ww1 tank

This could just be a museum paint job but eh I'm just looking for inspiration for scifi stuff anyway

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

WWI, interwar, and postwar tanks could have a solid blue-green-grey color that can look rather blue in certain light. I don't know if it is actually blue, but it is close enough that 'blue' is a valid claim.

In particular I'm seeing AMX 30s, 13s, and FT17s that are 'blue'. Probably not great for grassland, but I could see it being a good scheme for urban use. I'll have to take a look at my Osprey collection to see what I can dig up but I am pretty sure I have more books about English and Japanese armor than French, so the pickings may be slim.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Finished a British 8th Army 40mm Bofors gun and crew (Rubicon miniatures):

As well as a kit-bashed medic from a spare Warlord 8th Army sprue I had lying around:

I always knew Warlord minis tended towards the "heroic" proportions, but these lads are downright chonky compared to the Perry and Rubicon sculpts (which are good matches to each other).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

If you can find it, Warhammer Ancient Battles' Vlad the Impaler book covers wars in the Balkans in the 15th century. It's excellent, probably the best book in that line.

It doesn't cover Hussites directly - it's just a little too late - but it does cover the Hungarian armies that used a lot of the same wagon tabor tactics.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

If you can find it, Warhammer Ancient Battles' Vlad the Impaler book covers wars in the Balkans in the 15th century. It's excellent, probably the best book in that line.

It doesn't cover Hussites directly - it's just a little too late - but it does cover the Hungarian armies that used a lot of the same wagon tabor tactics.

Interesting. I did find a forum supplement specifically covering the Hussite Wars! However, now I need to learn the system so I understand what any of these numbers and words actually mean. I'm sure I'll be fine, it's not like the core book has been out of print for twelve years or anything... :v:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

aside from ebay and maybe getting lucky with local stuff on fb marketplace and kijiji, wheres a good place to find whole painted armies listed for sale? ive got it in my head that i want to just skip the beginning painting/basing stage of something new and just buy someones cast offs, after springfield fatts i think listed his stuff for sale (but i didn't get :()

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

aside from ebay and maybe getting lucky with local stuff on fb marketplace and kijiji, wheres a good place to find whole painted armies listed for sale? ive got it in my head that i want to just skip the beginning painting/basing stage of something new and just buy someones cast offs, after springfield fatts i think listed his stuff for sale (but i didn't get :()

There's a bunch of Facebook buy/sell groups for minis - some pretty generic and some specific to certain games (e.g. Flames of War). That's probably your best bet outside of eBay.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would be prepared to pay a lot more than you'd like for a decently painted army

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

trying to sort through rules for 6mm - 12mm ww2/cold war battalion level stuff and then remembering I'm already playing two game systems and have one I haven't actually played

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LatwPIAT posted:

Interesting. I did find a forum supplement specifically covering the Hussite Wars! However, now I need to learn the system so I understand what any of these numbers and words actually mean. I'm sure I'll be fine, it's not like the core book has been out of print for twelve years or anything... :v:
Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th or 5th edition rulebooks will get you close enough to work out most of it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Sorry dude, as we found out more often than not shipping is one of the biggest costs when it comes to the used mini market. I've also had success going on FLGS' discord channel and looking through the for sale stuff in there. Yeah it's mostly 40k or CCGs but once in a while you see some historicals. Also worth looking into if you have any gaming clubs in or around your area, but I should warn you that for every guy like me who's just trying to unload the stuff at a fair price to make room for more toys there's a dozen aging Boomers pricing poorly painted 40 year old models into the stratosphere with real "I know what I got" energy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

I would be prepared to pay a lot more than you'd like for a decently painted army

Rule of thumb is that historical miniatures gain value if painted to tabletop standard, while warhammer loses value.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I did not know that, weird. What is the reason?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Virtual Russian posted:

I did not know that, weird. What is the reason?

Historicals stuff that's painted well will all look the same, hams painted well look like the guy you're buying it from's stuff. It's the "this is the American second infantry going into the winter of 44" vs "these are my dudes" thing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cassa posted:

Since this sounded like exactly what I was looking for I had a glance at it, and on a first impression Pike Blocks didn't seem all that impressive: they fight with 4 ranks on the first round of melee versus everyone elses' 3 when attacking, then 3 vs. 3 on the second turn and 1 vs. 1 on the third and final? It's a 33% increase in fighting power in the initial impact, sure, but that's doesn't seem like a monster.

Then I got to the special rules for Swiss pikemen:

quote:

Swiss Infantry companies and formations move 8" (not 6") in Good Going, or 6" in Bad Going. They can never have more than one Disarray Token.

quote:

All Swiss Infantry formations count four ranks in the first round if attacking. They also count four ranks in the first round if defending in a Hedgehog against Cavalry, but only if all the Companies are armed with pikes. In the second round, they count three ranks; and in the third, they count two.

quote:

Include all of the Halberdiers in the Melee head count in the second and third rounds. They Hit on 4+ in every round of Melee.

Right, that'd do it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

Sorry dude, as we found out more often than not shipping is one of the biggest costs when it comes to the used mini market. I've also had success going on FLGS' discord channel and looking through the for sale stuff in there. Yeah it's mostly 40k or CCGs but once in a while you see some historicals. Also worth looking into if you have any gaming clubs in or around your area, but I should warn you that for every guy like me who's just trying to unload the stuff at a fair price to make room for more toys there's a dozen aging Boomers pricing poorly painted 40 year old models into the stratosphere with real "I know what I got" energy.

hey no worries man, i'm just glad you got it sold! and yeah i know, ive already seen a few ads like that. but im patient and can wait for a reasonable deal :) will continue to just keep my eye on ebay and local stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Historicals stuff that's painted well will all look the same, hams painted well look like the guy you're buying it from's stuff. It's the "this is the American second infantry going into the winter of 44" vs "these are my dudes" thing.
Never thought of it like that, but it explains why I was happy to get a SAGA army from a friend ages back but I would strip all of his weirder stuff like doing a Free Wales Army themed army for Flames of War using late-war British Commandos.