Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been considering starting playing some 15mm Samurai stuff. I have the Hail Caesar rulebook, but someone told me that the Field of Glory rules were pretty decent. Does anyone have experience with both of these?

I have been a Warhammer player for about a decade so I am ready to just paint an ocean of tiny little men (history style).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Hello fellow samurai collector. I've written a bit about it, but never with 15mm in mind. However, I have painted up a bunch of Peter Pig for a customer, and those were lovely. You could also go with the 1:72 kits from Zvezda (not the small kits for Samurai Battles, but their "normal" ones) if you want to do it on the cheap.

How close do you want your games to be to actual samurai warfare? As in, do you want to play more recreation games, or do you want to play generic wargames with samurai miniatures? I like Field of Glory and DBA and all those games, but they are not very good at recreating medieval Japanese warfare. On the other hand you have period specific games like Killer Katanas, which are very much geared towards the period, but are less polished rules-wise. However, most period specific games for samurai wargaming are skirmish games, and I take from your choice of 15mm that you are more into larger scale games.

I've also heard good things about Principles of War and Impetus for samurai wargaming, but I haven't tried either system.

I play a ton of different 28mm games, so I am really just looking for something different. I really like the idea of playing a really large scale army game, so 15mm seems like a more reasonable step that going straight to 6mm. I am mostly looking for a fun, simple game where huge colorful waves of men bravely die. Historical accuracy is something that would be nice, but I don't plan on taking the game super seriously. Hail Caesar seems good but there not being points is a strange transition to make as a non-historical guy.

Thanks for the input. Peter Pig seems to be pretty popular, so I might try and pick up a pack of samurai and see how that paint up. I have some of the multi-part plastic samurai from Wargames Factory, but at 28mm I realize I just don't really have the space to do the huge sprawling samurai battles I want at that scale.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just ordered several 15mm samurai gentlemen. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a long slide into madness.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

After a month and a half of waiting I have finally received a packet filled with tiny metal samurai. They look really good, but seeing this many little soldiers is a bit intimidating.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Commissar Kip posted:

Lord_Hambrose - what seller did you get the tiny metal samurais from? I've been looking at a Feudal Japan wargame and i've only found this: http://kensei.zenitminiatures.es/index.php/en/. It's a Spanish company that does a 28mm Feudal Japanese skirmish game. Only problem is dat no one outside of Spain seems to be playing this.

Luckily I have a brother who I can play with - can you guys suggest some other games we could look at? Preferably 28mm skirmish.

I got my stuff from here http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=17&CategoryID=58

I guess this company bought the old Two Dragons(?) molds, which were well received. After getting them I can certainly see why. I am planning on getting a batch of Peter Pig samurai next to see how they compare.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have been reading over the Sharp Practice 2 book, and only the War Store being out of stock of plastic Perry Brothers AWI guys has slowed my fall down a dangerous grog hole.

Who knew reading about uniforms could be so good! :hist101:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr.Booger posted:

On a whim I priced up a bunch of Perry stuff directly from their site vs warstore...uhm, the pound is down, if you can wait a bit longer it is actually cheaper through Perry themselves atm (including the +25% for shipping even, still cheaper).

Edit: for non-EU folks at least, VAT is still a thing

Oh wow. Thanks for the tip! I just placed an order for a box of British and a box of Colonial guys. The wait will just give me more time to decide how to paint them up. :toot:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Came home from work tonight and found that both my physical copy of Sharp Practice 2 and my Perry Miniatures AWI guys arrived. :toot:

Now I just need to research North Carolina regiments and start painting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

How do you go about painting 6mm guys? Do you prime and paint them individually then base them, or base them first and then paint?

I have a bunch of 6mm samurai I have been meaning to get around to for years now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am painting up some Revolutionary War miniatures and the official uniforms for the South late in the war is blue faced with blue. Was it generally the same shade or should I do something lighter so it stands out?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, my sourcebooks unfortunately don't have much in the way of the 1779 regulations, which is where the blue-on-blue comes from. Most of the Southern units that reenact wear blue faced with red, or they wear hunting shirts.

I'm wondering if the blue-on-blue ever actually got used.

I think I will try to do some in blue and blue. They are just for Sharp Practice so it is not like I will be doing hundreds of guys. It is hard to believe that there is so much information about all this stuff at all.

Thanks for all the help.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Nah, I'm just in a group that can't focus. On the current list of things people want to do in 2017:
28mm postapocalyptic (boat skirmish)

Is this really a thing? I have always wanted to do some kind of post apocalyptic gaming, but never considered this possibility.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

muggins posted:

I should be done editing our second episode of our podcast, combined arms podcast, this weekend.

http://combinedarms.podomatic.com/

We talked about sharp practice and were really lucky to grab it interview with Rich Clarke of tfl. Put it in your iTunes or RSS podcast app so you can grab it as soon as it's uploaded :-)

I just finished listening to the first episode, and I liked it a bunch overall. I looked into the pirate game that you guys talked about, and drat a game with 28mm ships looks incredible.

Going to have to get some of that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Talking briefly about Blood and Plunder today has gotten me rowdy for the new Kickstarter to launch. Counting down the days :f5:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Can I interest you in a little genre called Napoleonics?

Dad games have never seemed so grand!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

lilljonas posted:

I'm getting close to being able to field a 1:1 line company with my French Napoleonics.

Gonna look sweeeeet.

I am sure you probably went with God's Own Scale, but I secretly hope you mean 54mm

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

That is still a really impressive amount of guys in 28mm though! I am having enough trouble doing two armies for Sharp Practice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

This is what pretty tempting. How is Black Powder for doing big Napoleonic games? I am really excited about Sharp Practice because of the manageable scale... But maybe a totally massive 28m game will be worthwhile...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Yeah, this. Black Powder plays great at the division/corps level, especially when you have enough table space to give the armies plenty of countryside to maneuver in. I love it at 6mm on a normal sized table, I feel like you'd have to play on a 12x8 table or something with 28mm armies.

I was planning on doing this in 6mm at some point, so I might as well pick up the books on sale. As long as it is a pretty simple and quick system I am down. I have Hail Caesar so I assume this is basically the same thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Played some 6mm black powder on a 6x4 table this weekend.

Union army:

Rebel scum:

Union advance!

Rebel counterattack:

Final assault:

Ended up being close and fun- narrow confederate victory thanks to delaying the union.

Jealous of all these tiny Confederate Patriots. Do you find having to find 6mm terrain to be difficult. Differing scale from 28mm has definitively kept me from branching out in the past.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

This seems like the most appropriate thread for this question, so has anyone played any Blood and Plunder? I am backing the new Kickstarter and was wondering what people's opinions were on it.

Just wondering if this will be a cool pirate painting project, or if I should lie to myself and pretend that someone will play a Historical Game with me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dirt Worshipper posted:

http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.com/?m=1

This guy just got his stuff, he runs a small but active blog I suggest checking in periodically.

Thanks!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think more people here aren't as hot on Black Powder because it needs a billion models and a lot of table space to play at 28mm.

Just play God's Own Scale if you want Black Powder.

https://www.baccus6mm.com

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks for the tips, all! 6mm looks so good when it comes to showing huge battles, but painting 28mm sounds like so much more fun.

Argh, what am I getting myself into

edit-- hahaha, $14 for 96 6mm figures!

:allears:

I am planning on ordering a bunch and doing Italy vs Prussia/Russia in 6mm. I have enough Redcoats to do for my Sharp Practice Revolutionary War stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

The uniforms changed a ton between the AWI and the Napoleonic Wars.

Well sure, but doing a red guys army in two different scales is not very thrilling. At the end of the day England is too important NOT to do, but I imagine anyone else I find that plays this kind of stuff will probably have it covered.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

How do you guys store your armies. Not for transport but just like around

Tons of clear plastic stackable boxes from Wal-Mart. You can store an insane amount of stuff in any area that way.

Most of my decently painted stuff I keep in a jewelry transport case that I added magnetic bottoms to from https://www.gemsondisplay.com

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

6mm is so cheap that it gives me crazy ideas.

Hmmm it wouldn't be too much to play out the Battle of Prague with the Prussians vs. the Austrians, even if I have to do it solo because I don't know anyone who plays SYW stuff...

Building both armies is pretty standard for historicals

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:3:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

DiHK posted:

Saga is going to release a new set of books in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVJlNy9hpk

I saw a werewolf/jabberwocky thing... I'm not worried though. I'm guessing that they won't disrupt the core game but add on poo poo to facilitate campaigns. That might be neat, like a frostgrave sort of approach, I might run such a thing.

I was planning on looking into saga, so this is perfect!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Hold my beer

:allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Fish and Chimps posted:

If this is true, this might push me over the edge to start 28mm Napoleonics.

It is the abyss that calls to us all.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope I can get my Sharp Practice stuff ready by 4th of July this year. Want to run some Revolutionary War games, and the Perry Brothers plastics are so nice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Frobbe posted:

you napoleonics post too much!

:frogout:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Peter Pig's website is just the most beautiful thing.

Shopping here is when you know you have finally embraced the historical madness!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Any word on the new edition of Saga? I want to do something with a gang of rowdy Byzantines and I know they are a faction in that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Playing any scale that isn't 6mm or 28mm seems wasteful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cessna posted:

That's going to be tough for WWI Dreadnoughts.

28mm seems like the best scale, honestly. Just look at Blood and Plunder.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Has anybody been able to take a look at Gangs of Rome? I love the idea of it but am wary of buying the book sight unseen. Historicals are a fickle mistress.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh poo poo, free rules. I will have to give them a look.

Thanks, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Just played the first game of CoC and boy is the rulebook a mess

God Bless Historicals