Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The caliber of artillery is going to affect how close you'd want to bring your rounds in, as another user mentioned- to an extent. Smaller isn't necessarily going to mean closer, as other factors play into the accuracy of indirect fire. For example. the modern "danger close" distance for light/medium artillery and light/medium mortars is generally the same; mortars may be a smaller round fired from closer but they are not computing/factoring for things artillery is such as weather, etc. The higher arc of mortars also affects the accuracy. During WWII artillery could become more accurate than you might expect; the more planned and deliberate an operation and the related artillery fires, the more accurate they could be.

On the topic of artillery friendly fire, all the primary players in WWI eventually established their own guidelines for acceptable artillery fratricide percents, used for planning purposes and to judge how successful an operation and the artillery support had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Germany's focus on mobility over firepower meant their artillery was outclassed by the Allies in all aspects. By the time they realized the deficiency, the turning tide and materiel shortages meant it was too late to do anything.

The Brits began making large changes to their artillery in North Africa, which contributed much to their later success there. The Americans developed several procedural concepts and TTPs still in use by western armies today. The Russians placed a high value on their artillery: there were assets at all levels of their armies. In addition to the sheer volume, accuracy was very important and always strived for and they were probably the best at planning and coordinating fire support.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Forums Terrorist posted:

My understanding was that Russian artillery relied on pre-planned bombardments extensively due to a crippling lack of radios and computers rather than lack of training or whatever. They had to do the best they could with lots of cheap guns over a few accurate ones.

To an extent yes especially in the early war. However there is more to artillery coordination than just having enough radios, and those areas are where Russia really grew and improved. Their observers were very proficient as were their fire direction procedures. Other aspects such as ammo management, unit positioning, and the previously mentioned various artillery echelons, and command and control as well. While gun quality does influence your accuracy, it is not the only thing and can be compensated for, which the Russians did well.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Someone here did up a saga board and figures in 6mm, I believe. It looked really cool and portable. Although it's a small skirmish focused game nothing stopping you from running it in a different scale to make it more convenient.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
From the general mini war gaming thread

Swagger Dagger posted:

This week's bundle of holding has a ton of Osprey games:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OspreyWargames

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Good blog entries, looking forward to more

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thanks for sharing about moores creek. I live near Wilmington and I've never heard of it so I'll have to check it out

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

muggins posted:

It's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a really well kept national park.

I think you're right regarding OSC. LMGs get four shots instead of three, which is good. Flamethrower have to roll to hit. If you shoot a pintle mounted MG you count as open topped. Officers can activate other units when they do, which is really cool. There are more, but these are some highlights. Reece was fixed, team weapons can pivot and shoot

I think that's enough for 500 pts, check Bolt Action easy army

Where are you based out of if you don't mind me asking

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hi friends. I'm currently painting my first ever scale model (a m3 Stuart). I went to hobby lobby and bought a couple bottles of Vallejo paints but I was having trouble figuring out what the right colors are so I didn't buy every color I need. Today I went to the local board game store and I saw they have battlefront paint sets in weird bullet shaped bottles. Are they good paints? Seems like they would cover all my bases and be about the same as buying individual paints.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's one guy I've seen on TMP doing 1:1 SYW, with paper cut-out miniatures rather than lead, but... It's still ridiculously impressive.

And you know Tango01? The "[random piece of news or photo from a press release, blog, or other thread], Amicalement, Armand" guy? He is apparently too shy to post photos of his month-long 1:1 1:72 battles with 50k figures.

Really though, get the frontage about right in relation to movement, firing, and other such scales, and adjust the rest to toy soldier taste. Some people are fine with single ranks of figures, others have to have two ranks even though it just makes lines even more disproportionately deep.

Haha that guy. Always posting whatever random thing he comes across without any thought or context

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cool layout; great way to track progress and stay focused

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

muggins posted:

These 6mm models from CinC come packed like drugs and they're adorbs af

One of tmp's front page stories the other day was some 3mm stuff, including a super cute flanker

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You don't have to lie to us, j, we aren't gonna judge you for having ordered French *and* British in addition to the rest of that

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so the roman legions marching ~20 miles a day must be a myth? how about the road marches i had to do? wish someone wouldve told the guys in charge that 5 miles is it

I dunno whether five miles a day is accurate or not as a good average. But yes, we might get into the 20 range in modern militaries, that's also just a combat arms unit hiking for training. You're probably carrying a standard combat load for a few days; not for a week or more. Your additional logistics are gonna be trucked or air lifted. That's what's gonna really slow down a historical army. Plus, they are talking army size, not a battalion sized unit. Imagine the cluster of marching an army without modern comms or transport.

On the subject of marching; trying to remember a feat from the civil war where an army marched like twenty miles overnight and then fought and won a battle. Or any other marching to a battle records set during that war. Any searching I do just turns up Sherman's March.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Maybe I remembered wrong. Thanks for posting those feats though. I can't imagine doing some of those marched

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Don’t know anything about camouflage but starting at about the ten minute mark there are a few anecdotes about the Marines participating in NATO exercises.
https://youtu.be/RL4__NVYByw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Whipped up a real quick German artillery observer. I was surprised I even owned one, but he was rummaging around in a bag of PaK40 crew I bought second hand.

It's not my best work, which is actually a bit of a shame, since the model is really cool, but it'll do.

I’m imagining that he’s just rubbing his chin in the first picture and thinking to himself, “Hmmm yes... add 50, fire for effect”