Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Some of my gaming group are thinking of giving Flames of War a shot as a break from our usual 40k. I'm not too familiar on the rules, but would the game allow or be easy to alter to allow more than two players at a time to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Good to hear. Now I just need to learn how to paint things that aren't covered in skulls.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's actually the opposite, we're trying to get games below five hours a night. I assume FoW would need less space and time to play if we don't go too crazy with it. I am a bit worried about the "eras" of the army. Again, I haven't gotten the book yet but I guess they have some way of monitoring if I'm playing and American force from '44 and my opponent is playing one from '41 somehow.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wanted to say thanks for the FoW info. I think we'll get the open fire set because it seems like a hell of a deal and go from there.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My brother picked up the D Day Bolt Action set recently and wants me to try it with him. Coming from (mostly) 40k, but also having played Infinity, DzC and Warmachine how is the playstyle of this ruleset? I know nothing other than "turns are diced by drawing die from a bag."

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

muggins posted:

Very helpful post.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. First game this weekend, looking forward to it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

I am huge fan of GURPS, probably my favorite system, but I don't think I'd want to use it for WW2. The problem is that it can be too realistic, so you will die. A lot.

The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire / Age of Rebellion system is one of the best "don't get bogged down in mechanics, just tell an awesome story" RPG out there and SW is basically WW2 in space. With laser sword mystics.

Edit: Played the D-Day starter kit last night. Even though I got wrecked repeatedly by the Germans I liked the rules system. Inexperienced VS Veterans seemed like a punitive way to teach players the rules, my drat GI Jokes couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 21, 2014

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crossposting from the painting thread:

Just wrapped up my US half of the Bolt Action starter set.

I also followed this handy guide and picked up a hella cheap Sherman. Doesn't look bad after a new coat of paint!

Shot next to infantry for scale in case anyone else is interested.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crosspostin' from SA Mart, selling my very small FoW American project that never went anywhere.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700933

Sold!

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 15, 2015

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My 57mm AT showed up and jesus this thing is annoying. I forgot what a hassle dealing with pewter was :qq:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ugggghhh, riding to my game tonight and my backpack opened open from the wind. Everything I had so far for Bolt Action is now shattered into a million little pieces on the side of the interstate. Cool.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Bummer :/
I had that happen to me with groceries I'd (over)stuffed in the top once. Almost lost my work laptop in the bargain.

I ended up getting one of those armored shell style packs where it opens on the inside, so, even if the worst happens and you forget to zip it up or something, the flap is still pinned up by your back and the straps.

I found this one on sale at my local shop:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-no-drag-mach-5-backpack?partner_site_id=128

Thanks, only two bright spots is this made me get off my rear end and order the Kriega R15 I've been saying I was gonna get for six months. And now I don't have to worry about the Wargames Factory guys looking wonky next to my Warlord stuff anymore! Silver linings...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sorry to hear that dude, that's a goddamn shame :(

In happier Bolt Action news, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered me up a Wargames Factory WW2 Red Army box from FRP Games. 31 figures for around $21 (including shipping) is quite the deal, comrades :ussr:

Thanks for the goondolences, especially Dirt Worshipper.

Sydney I just wrapped up a set of US Wargames Factory dudes and they're not 'heroic' 28mm scale like the warlord and most other figure producers. A little taller / leaner than other lines but if you keep the squads all that company no one will really see the difference when they're all painted up.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Moths I got excited hearing PSC makes 28mm infantry, but it looks like right now they only have Russians. Their website is pretty obtuse, if you pick WW2 > 28mm all you see is Rubicon tanks. You have to click WW2 > Nation > Then 28mm at the top to even see the selection. It's pretty cool, I wish I could nab two plastic AT guns & crew for $19.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

A demo game w/ Panzer III J

Seemed like a dick move to take the heaviest armored Panzer to a demo game as well. He at least could of rewarded you for getting around to his rear armor with a PIAT. Glad you won.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Agreedo, either is fine so long as you stick with one.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Re: pink Nazis. My brother is painting his Bolt Action Germans pink and no one has said anything ill of it. Most of the sperglords play 40k and not historicals in our area though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Sorry man everything I know about Nazis I learned from Indiana Jones.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
throws officer off zeppelin

"He wasn't wearing pink!"

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm trying to convince a friend to save his money on Star Wars: Armada and try a historical naval game. But I don't know any. Can anyone recommend a WWII one? I know nothing about the scale, and 1:1200 the models come in seem large for a tabletop game. I'm looking for something quicker and less grognardy, so more Bolt-Action less Flames of War.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, I'd think this is a good choice if you want a easy to learn and play WW2 ship combat game. But just looking at e-bay, I'm not sure how expensive it would be to pick up now that it's out of print.

e: seems people sell individual ships for pretty high prices, but bigger lots look nicely priced. And if you're just playing with a friend I doubt you care to have the "best" ships to begin with.

These do seem pricey for 1:2400 scale ships, but still cheaper than Armada stuff. Are you mostly paying for the cards that come with the model? I'm sure you could find cheaper manufacturers of similarly sized models.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks, but what companies do the acronyms CinC and GHQ stand for?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I'm curious to look at how playable it is in 28mm scale...

I'm in the same camp as this, but if it uses the pre-measure movement sticks like Wangs that could complicate the 28mm conversion.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm also starting to foray in 6mm, and I like the look of GHQ's stuff but I don't need the armor sold in sets of 5 or the infantry sold in sets of 50. Anyone know if they do partial orders?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone had any experience ordering from CinC? It seems to be taking a long time for my order to show up and I'm getting zero response from these dudes.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone know of a place where they'll part out a Battlefront or PSC box? I'm interested in doing a Bolt Action in 15mm project but I just do not need 150 riflemen or x4 of all the heavy weapons.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

What are you looking for specifically? There's a chance someone here has at least some spare teams given how FoW and Bolt Action map to the PSC boxes.

About 1/3 of a rifle platoon box, one each of a heavy weapon platoon, and maybe one 57mm that could pull double duty as either AT or Howitzer. Both companies at least sell the vehicles in one-off packs.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
To the guy that already had the Bolt Action v2 book, can you tell me if they included the former ‘experimental rules’ from their website into this edition like airborne insertion and the expanded aircraft rules, etc?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Thundercloud posted:

Got my BA2 shipping notice so should have that Friday.

drat, really? Amazon is saying October 18th!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Eh, spacing the photos out would have been nice, but it was a fine review. I appreciated the matter-of-fact approach, too many blogs and especially nerd blogs try to add patter or whimsy without pulling it off as entertaining. This is why I can't watch Beasts of War videos because I'm constantly yelling "shut up and tell me about the game!"

No one has brought it up so I assume it's a no, but does 2nd edition incorporate the experimental rules from first edition like expanded aircraft rules, night fighting, airborne insertion, etc.?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Trying out CoC for the first time this weekend, let me know if I have this straight. If I have a US M5 halftrack rolling with a rifle section in it, the only weapons it could fire would be the BAR, one of the Garands or the Junior Leader’s SMG? And the only way it would have an MMG/HMG is if I independently placed one of those teams in the M5?

Also I saw rules for man-handling field guns but not anything specifically for towing them. Did I just gloss over that part?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh jeez, that's horrible. I was going to suggest Lindberg kits, but this is even worse somehow.

Don't knock it, they have a Sherman that Hobby Lobby was selling on rebate that I picked up for like $3. After a coat of paint it wasn't that bad for tabletop standard.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone in the U.S. had any experience ordering from Skytrex? Been over a month and still a no-show.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

mcjomar posted:

Okay so my Bolt Action box of Band of Brothers has arrived, as have a pair of springfield scoped rifles I ordered from a bits reseller on ebay.
This would be fine for 5MIN/5MAK, but looking through the Bolt Action rulebook, it looks as if the Airborne don't get sniper rifles?
And also the American Infantry (the box these rifles come from) don't get sniper rifles either?
Or do those options become available to those units in Bolt Action if I grab a copy of a suitable American Army rulebook for that particular faction/force?

I haven't seen the second edition book but unless they drastically changed it a sniper team is a separate two-man support option, not an equipment upgrade to a regular infantry squad. They're still in there, so go ahead and use the springfields.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Chain of Command question: Can a leader use two of his initiative points to have a team fire twice consecutively int he same phase?

I guess more in general I feel I don't have a solid grasp on the activation/command parts. For example if a U.S. rifle section is on the table and I roll a 3 that means I would need to use two points of initiative to have both the rifle team and the BAR team to fire? One point for both and I could do the above two-fire option? Or one to fire, one to do something else (grenade, etc.)?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
15mm: Since I had no interest in FoW and you'd never need five of the same tank in BA or CoC I ordered my support sections and vehicles from Skytrex.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Edit: slightly beaten, eh whatever here's the same thing in more detail

Technically the skies the limit, but generally the scenario you play will determine the amount of support points you get (with modifiers such as who's the attacker in addition to the actually force strength difference of the two armies if there is one). These are cumulative, so if you are an attacker who rolled a 5 for your force support bonus as was directed by the scenario you are playing, and are fielding a Strength 2 force against a Strength 5 force your total allotted support points are 8.

Unlike BA, where static point values are used to buy everything (Tank A costs 150 points, etc) in COC there are support option lists. List 1 will cost you 1 support point, and is usually small things like an engineer team, or a minefield. Picking something from List 7 will cost 7 support points and will including things like a Pak 40 anti tank gun, a Panzer IV tank, or a StuG III assault gun. So in the example above, as the attacker if you had 8 points, you could pick a List 1 engineer team to clear obstacles the defender will probably set up and a List 7 Panzer IV to push with your infantry. Or pick any combination of choices from the lists so long as they total 8.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 9, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm kicking around the idea of Team Yankee in 6mm, and I see that a lot of 1/285 guys have these labels on their bases to help with identifying a unit. I'm having difficulty finding how these were made. Anyone got a lead?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Like this guy did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I picked up a copy of FFOT3 as my first groggy game and holy piss am I out of my element! Just trying to figure out how to build a force in 1:1 is a pain.