Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kid discovered all my boxed up Flames of War stuff from early-to-mid 00's and his questions plus pandemic boredom were enough to make me assemble the last few blister packs. I looked up the rules and it seems like everything is totally different. I'm like the only person in my area code who plays so I could just keep my V2 stuff, but there are a shitload of rules. I'd like to try the streamlined version (especially if I can get my kid to play nerd games with me) but not if it means buying a dozen books all over again, and then card decks on top of that.

I have about 4k points each of combined arms for both German and American armies under the old system that I'd like to squeeze some use out of - what materials are needed to start playing again, and is it worth upgrading to v4? The nearby game stores stopped carrying it so I can't even drop by to check it out. I'm not too deep into historical accuracy and can live with generic forces.

Thanks!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations/effortpost. I grabbed Battlegroup and found free rules for something called Combat: WWII as well, so I'll play around with them.

I ordered a 'Hit The Beach' starter pack for the armor and since found out that it contains a full rulebook, so I'll have one of those too once it arrives. Don't think I'll go further into FOW since I'd need four separate rulebooks to just use the units I have laying around. That business model is too nickel-and-dimey for me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a soft copy of an older release for a few bucks. the only hard copies I could find in country are like $50.

I ordered the box set from Battlefront directly, hope their supply lines aren't totally ruined by COVID!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I gave my 6 year old an unpainted 28mm Tiger and it ended up a very similar color :v:

spectralent posted:

No but the giant radioactive bug monster behind is definitely looking good.

e. while trying to figure out how much of my V2 FOW stuff was useful I came across this gem: US army vs army of the insects.

quote:

Insect Special RulesAn Army of the Insects is rated Fearless Trained.Perhaps it was the surface testing of nuclear bombs, or a spill of toxic chemicals.Perhaps they were created as a superweapon by the government, only to escape and turn on their masters. They might have even been the product of Soviet sabotage, designed to spread chaos and ensure a communist victory in Korea. Nobody knows how these bugs came to terrorize this quiet mountain town in the heartland of the United States, but their purpose seems fairly clear. If the bugs cannot be defeated or if they escape the valley in which the outbreak has been so far contained, then the future of mankind looks very bleak indeed

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 3, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell

Kickstarter for plans for 3d printable 28 and 15 mm WW2 mini infantry, guns, AFVs, and terrain.

Higher level contributions get plans for some 6mm mech and 32mm colonial figures as well.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanks to Warhammer Fantasy 7th edition I got obscenely good at estimating range in inches.

Thanks to my last marriage, so did my ex-wife :tipshat:

To close the loop, I think I'll let myself get sucked back into FoW since an old friend with a british army moved a couple hours away. Battlegroup opened my eyes to the wonder that is affordable 1:100 models though, so I'll grab a rule book once the nearest hobby shop gets them in stock.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Does anybody have any resources for WW2 era 15mm building templates? I bought some foamcore to make some but figured I might as well ask before freehanding it.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 14, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Converting Panzer IV F2s to H in 15mm scale with spare plastic card suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

But saving $100 on models and the feeling accomplishment something painstaking (if meaningless) is pretty rad.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Some have changed names though. Fortunately for me an old grog knew offhand that catachan green became castellan green.

I've turned into a vallejo man myself after my GW stuff dried up after 12+ years in storage, but many of the VJ ones were fine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Battlefront is having 3-for-2 sale on some of their plastics, mostly FOW but there's some TY in there too.

I bought three starter boxes because a bargain is a bargain and I don't like money, I guess :shepspends:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is there a reason that SP arty is cheaper than field artillery point-wise for the same effect in Flames of War? Beyond 'Battlefront going gently caress you, buy more stuff', that is. I like PSC models but SP guns are one of the things they just don't have.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 25, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

spectralent posted:

In theory because SP artillery is vulnerable to more things, since it can be hosed down with .50 cals or 20mm guns, whereas in this situation a dug-in gun is very hard to shift. The issue is that in practice, gun teams tend to be removed with counterbattery fire, where rerolling saves on a 4+ base just means you get slaughtered. There's a fair few things where you just wonder if BF play their own game.

That makes sense. I prefer gun models so it gets my goat that I could (for example) save 8 points by swapping 10.5 howitzers and 7.5 infantry guns Nebelwerfers and Wespes for the low low cost of $10 per point.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Worth noting that Wespes are an outlier not the norm.

Never knew that, guess it's just One Of Those Things for now. I still like how field guns look on the table :shrug:

In kickstarter news, I came across a Black Panther inspired campaign ruleset. It led me down the rabbithole of segregated units, and long story short I'm going to repaint as much of my US forces to match historical organizations.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 26, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Converting Panzer IV F2s to H in 15mm scale with spare plastic card suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Panzer IV Ausf J with no Schürzen because it kept breaking so I just took it off.

Geisladisk posted:

Incidentally this is exactly what the crew did IRL and for the same reason, so this is very historically accurate :mil101:

:aaaaa:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

About 15 years ago I came across bag full of tiny minis about to be shitcanned and took them home. Last night I opened the bag up to see what was inside! Turned out to be a buttload of Heroics and Ros 1/300 WW2 figures, mostly in original packaging.

UK:
9x light infantry platoons
3x heavy weapons platoons
3x para platoons
8x universal carriers
4x daimler armored cars
4x 6 pdr AT gun and crew
4x either 17-pdr AT or 25-pdr field guns
22x Sherman variants (8x m4, 4xFirefly, 10x DD)
4x Wolverine
10x Churchill AVRE (a couple each of flamethrower, bridgelayer, mine flail, fascine, and bobbin carriers)
4x Typhoon fighters

German:
4x Grenadier platoons
4x panzergrenadier platoons
2x heavy weapon platoons
4x 120mm mortars
3x 10.5 howitzer
3x 15cm howitzer
3x Wespe
1x Hummel
3x 2cm Flak 30 guns
5x quad Flak 38 guns
2x 8.8 Flak guns
4x Pak 40 AT
3x Panzer 35 (or 38?)t
13x Panzer 4 (9x F2, 4x H)
11x Panzer 5
7x Stug IIIG
5x kfz 234 (-1, -2, and -3)
9x kfz 250 (mixed MG, mortar, assault gun, flak)
5x kfz 251 (mixed mortar, flak, assault gun)

Some of the vehicles and guns weren't labelled so I gave it my best guess. Dunno what do with them yet but it takes up way less space than 1/100 so maybe they'll live in a shoebox somewhere? :shrug:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I pulled up a random one and found a British Brigadier responding to a letter by a Canadian Lt Col on how to make games more psychologically engaging, and one of the recommendations was to check out a couple books on strategy by some other military authors. Due to the time period and their rank, everybody involved would have been a veteran of a couple wars. Also had a good laugh over vets of the North African campaign semi-complaining about the unrealistic rules for armor penetration when compared to actual tactics from the period.

I feel like that kind of person wouldn't fit very well in a modern western military anymore.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

Can you take a pic? I don’t think I know what a 1/300 tank even looks like.

Right now they all look like unpainted silver blobs in drug baggies. I found a visual guide online that gives you a better idea of what they can look like when painted and based.

Heavily generalizing here, but I don't see much personality trait overlap between 'those who thrive and succeed in post 9/11 military culture' and 'proud wargame enthusiasts' cohorts. Definitely not a well fleshed out hypothesis, but matches my observation that the old school gamer types typically max out at the E6/O4 level.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It turns out there were some things I didn't know about playing with myself :haw:. I used the first of battlefront's solo mission templates. It was a bit unbalanced in favor of the germans having 55 pts vs 52 after some extra Panzershrek and m1919 options were added. End result was a draw - the presence of the extra panzershreks made things a lot harder - but there was a lot of back-and-forth and it wasn't as hard as I anticipated staying honest, even when Red Team had the upper hand.

An early armored assault in the east forced the panzergrenadiers to abandon their positions, but their return AT fire broke the platoon of Shermans. The germans then pressed the momentum to successfully assault overstretched elements of the isolated airborne platoon and consolidate in their positions. At the same time in the north, a second armored thrust knocked out a Pak 40 and raked the infantry with MG fire, pinning both, but taking light losses. The paratrooper platoon attempted to rush the grenadier positions to soften them up before Germans reserves arrived, but were beaten back and sustained heavy losses.

Arrival of German armored reserves looked as if it would seal the defeat of American forces, but a #yolo rush into the flanks of the panzers did juuust enough damage to force a (failed) morale test, and the panzers withdrew. Heavy AT fire against the exposed Shermans led to additional losses and multiple bails, but the surviving two tanks (company and unit commanders, respectively) were hard as gently caress and passed every single remount and last stand check from here on out. They were able to attrit the remaining AT gun and infantry platoon to the breaking point with relentless machinegun fire, repeated assaults, and way too much luck.

South of them, the remaining German infantry eliminated the paras, but sustained enough losses to themselves retreat. There was neither anyone left to rescue, nor enough units to hold the objectives, so the two remaining AFVs withdrew from the AO and called it a day.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 19, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:yeah: I was a history major in college so seeing a 8.8 in the window of a game store was what got me on the long, dark path of wargaming a couple decades ago.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

The way you move around is pretty similar but otherwise they're really two different systems.

I gave a brief overview of how a Bolt Action turn works in this Let's Play I ran last year:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926967#post505537235

It would've been weird to mention out of nowhere, but now that you've opened the door, I gotta say your boards are dope and helped me up my terrain game. Games are a lot more interesting when there's maneuver involved instead of exchanging max range salvos in the open.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had enough V1/2 models kicking around to make a few formations with the new rule books. My latest kink has been semi-historical solo wargaming by matching orders of battle with the approximate equivalent rule-wise and it's been pretty fun so far. Loading up the table with bocage/buildings/forests lets me try out units and mechanics that would probably get me laughed out of a tournament, if I lived near anybody who played. It also got my oldest kid interested enough to tell the difference between most of the US and German MBTs. I might start experimenting with some house rules for unit activation and armor checks (1 always fails/6 always passes with roll to bail) or individually base things for some 15mm BA-esque squad level play because why not? If gaming isn't fun, it's probably being done wrong.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm trying to find some 1/100 Greyhound scout vehicles (2 M8s and 6 M20s specifically) but the only ones I can find weirdly expensive (Battlefront) or iffy design (Normandy Miniatures). Any North America-based goons with 3D printer or old models willing to price something out? Brand recommendations are cool too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Saw a post on reddit about a guy showing off his plans for a 36ss-themed army. Before I could finish replying "you're a fuckhead" the thread had been deleted but :wtc:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The war crimesiest """""anti-partisan""""" unit led by a rapist whose only notable action was liquidating Warsaw and its inhabitants during the uprising.

There's also a neo-nazi group named after them that was outlaws in Germany a few months ago.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Waddup pandemic solo gamer buddy.

I've found random unit activation works way better for solo play than i-go-you-go. I've had games where lucky rolling for one side resulted in turn 1 victories which is pretty boring. Also makes it easier to avoid counterplaying yourself because the flow is always up in the air, so you can still make meaningful choices.

Nice Nam writeup as well.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

spectralent posted:

If anyone wants to print all their figures from now on, March to Hell is doing another WW2 kickstarter for late war western front stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-ww2-europe-in-flames

Depressingly, they seem to be calling the Bulge "winter war", which got my hopes up :smith:

Hah, I just logged on to post this. I don't have a 3d printer but am thinking of backing anyways because Battlefront 1/100 scale M8s are too bloody expensive.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I gave into the temptation and backed babbys first kickstarter on the March To Hell drive (and hit the M36 stretch goal threshold :toot:). Here's hoping that I'll soon live close enough to a person or business that lets me print them off at a reasonable price.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Oh that March to Hell kickstarter is still going! That's a good place to get in on some .stls. Thanks for that, and for the poster who linked the models of the terrain, I'll bookmark that for the future

They're a couple hundred euros away from unlocking the Big 4's tank riders (unless 'tank raiders' is more than a typo) which would be nice to have more accessible. Engineers and universal carriers are pretty cheap and generally plentiful.

Class Warcraft posted:

Where are you located? Might be able to direct you to someone

PM sent :)

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 20, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Totes stealing that, I'm repainting/basing a bunch of shittily done minis and that will go well with the dark earth I just put down.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, those are some amazing eyes.

Those and the forest floor work posted earlier, so many people in this thread are hella talented.

+1, those peepers wouldn't be out of place in Jackson's LoTR trilogy.

I also did the forest floor recipe and it's by far the best basing I've accomplished while simultaneously being of the easiest. The coffee went straight from the fridge to the base, hope it doesn't get gross!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I only played 1/2/4, but from looking at the 3e rulebooks, my impression is that 4th is easier to sit down and play but 3rd is more fun to :hist101:/:awesome: over.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Any goon recommendations on primers to use with GW contrasts that don't cost $20/can? I'd rather use the matte white rustoleum I have on hand if it won't cause cataclysm.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hey, either you win a game or nazis lose! I do USA/Ger WW2 and refer to them as 'good guys/bad guys' to my kids.

Got my photon mono last week but didn't get around to turning it on til Fri night. The first print was underexposed, but the next 5 worked nicely. The vehicles have scarring from being oversupported and photon workshop is kinda rough, but I didn't have to give battlefront $200 and can cover up blemishes with stowage/battle damage for character.

Thanks for peer pressuring me into it! I think.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Grand Tactics is essentially an older term for operational art.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A fightin' battalion might have more success than a fuckin' one :haw:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Heavy weapons are generally easy enough to tell apart so I went the route of basing infantry units differently. I'm the idiot with 12 infantry platoons but it wasn't that bad using combinations of simple alternatives like summer vs spring static grass, black vs brown mud, etc. The stuff inside green tea bags is also really nice for forest bits, rooibos would give you a nice autumn feel. Stuff like that.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not trying to stan for battlefront, but after rediscovering my minis covid I came to greatly prefer v4 FOW. I never did v3 but I found v1/2 rules long winded and clunky in places. I played way more v4 games in the past year with its simpler mechanics than I did in five under the previous rules. List flavor is gone from the base books, but command cards capture a lot of it (pioneers with 251/1c stukas are in it, for example) and give a good starting point to deviate when I feel like spergin' out with historical OOBs that aren't perfectly replicated.

If you 3d print, there are enough good vehicle STLs out there that I wouldn't pay for them (m_bergman and tigerace1945 have some sweet packs) but the 3dbreed infantry are ones worth buying imo. The 'hit the beach' box is also a good value if you want to experiment but don't have a printer. The battlefront site also has a pdf of 8 solo play scenarios using all the minis in that box that are pretty good.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Endman posted:

Alternatively: What a Tanker!

I was going to mention this one, it's simple/fun enough that my non-nerd spouse and seven year old could play effectively (kid even won with some lucky rolling). Even my four year old was sufficiently engaged by rolling dice and moving stuff around to get a kill ring.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Comstar posted:

you don't HAVE to buy a box big enough to refight 1/4-1/2 of the entire Battle of Waterloo!

Yesterday I fired up my SLA printer for the first time in a couple weeks. Needed some 1:100 machineguns but had been putting it off because :effort:. Some random files went on the build plate to round things out, and by the time I came to, I'd already burned off tobruk pits, AT pillboxes, ostwinds, turret bunkers, a platoon of Jacksons, and a company of Hellcats.

Take from what what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

What are the popular WW2 rules for 15mm these days? I just remembered that I backed March to Hell: Europe, so I have all sorts of 15mm figs to print out.

Squad-level: BA in 15mm (or What a Tanker for armd equivalents)

Pl: Chain of Command

Coy: Flames of War, I Ain't Been Shot Mum.

I also heard alright things about a ruleset called 'From D-Day to Berlin' that was designed for div-corps using FoW style basing as Bns, if that's your thing.