Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sorry for popping in with a dumb question but how well-regarded is Flames of War? I was considering getting a couple Soviet minis just for display and figured I might as well get a rule set attached, and there seems to be a group at my FLGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fond memories of winning a Squad Leader scenario by hot rodding a halftrack across all the objective hexes I had to take in one turn

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's a computer wargame on sale that's also got rules for Fields of Glory Reinissance, are those rules any good?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Anybody have a lead on somewhere that has L’Art de la Guerre in stock? That ships to the US?

I’d like to use some of this downtime (just got furloughed) to work on some ancients. I’d like to get two armies that are compatible with both DBA and LAG. Seems like the latter just adds a few units to the former, but I’d love to be able to read the book before I start a project.

Speaking of this does anyone have words about LADLG? I've been looking around for a good game that plays fast, has a variety of army selections, is generally balanced, and fits on a table of about 3' by 5'. (I mostly just miss playing Warhammer Diskwars tbh.) From what I've seen LADLG looks like a compromise between FOG's bigger scale and complex army lists vs DBA's army balance approach of "eh gently caress it" but I haven't seen a lot of talk about it recently

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

That's a good synopsis. It recommends a roughly 4 x 2.5 foot table for models up to 15mm. My biggest point in it's favor is it is way easier to parse the rules than DBx and many, many illustrated examples are given in the book (it's the real reasons the rules are 70 pages). The lists are balanced by period and points, so your elite Romans will be outnumbered by more numerous Goths. Be warned that elephants and war wagons will slow the game down. It's also cool that North, Central and South American native peoples are included in the lists if you want to do something different. For $5 as a pdf it's a pretty good deal with lots of content. If you want a game that's faster playing look at To the Strongest! but it's gridded which rubs some people the wrong way.

Cool, for 5bux I can probably just get the pdf to test it out. Funny that you mention the Americans there since one thing that bugged me about FOG is how you've got incredibly complex army lists for some factions where there's two pages for every variant of spearmanii in the HRE and then some factions like the Americans get like 4 unit types

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Playing a solo match of ADLG on TTS and probably loving up all the rules, I like a lot of it but wish they'd just straight copied FOG's unit classification nomenclature. Still plays pretty fast and is interesting enough so I'll probably check it out more. I did notice the website has probability tables for resolving combat with a d5 instead of 6, does that work well? Seems like its a little less swingy but ranged combat would be off (lights are seemingly always at -2 at least?)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey question for someone considering getting into ancient/medieval tabletop- how do you base things? I'm considering just getting foam core and cutting it up, but idk if that would produce precise enough bases

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly not really sure about aesthetics, just want something to put dudes on and move around

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm looking at ADLG which is standard DBA style basing with each group on a 40x20 (plus or minus) base

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Now that ive got a bit of disposable income I'm again looking at getting into ADLG. One thing that bugs me- what's the point of generic medium swordsmen in that system? The only advantage they have over spears is vs impetuous foot while being even more incredibly vulnerable to cavalry. I get they can be good with impetuous or impact, but a decent number of armies are stuck with a core of generics

E: also, how best to deploy medium missile infantry? Doesn't seem like you can checkerboard like in FoG that easily

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 2, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Trying my hand at minis painting with FoW Soviets, comments/suggestions welcome. Washes didn't seem to photograph well for some reason. The three bases are different color schemes I experimented with (one per sprue). I'd love to get feedback on which color scheme you guys think works best

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey I mentioned I was getting into minis painting on an online group and a helpful friend sent me what looks like at least a hundred 28mm metal Vikings. I've been kind of looking at Saga as a game, what stuff should I paint up for a starter army? Looks like I've got a ton of huscarls and bondi, a few archers and civilians, and some berserkers; plus some mounted troops.
(Also is just standard superglue usable for this?)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

First batch of Bondi done. Any comments on the coloring? Not really sure what's good for the era

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm pretty new and still need to work more on blending colors- I just posted a bunch of stuff in the Legion thread that I think turned out all right but outside of a bit of hair and alien skin it's just flat colors with generous wash.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

out of curiosity, what historical system best represents Roman-era barbarian armies? I've got the ADLG rulebook and a lot of them are just undifferentiated masses of medium swordsmen, and I seem to remember FoG being similar

E: although I'm mostly thinking of migrations/fall of the empire stuff, the earlier stuff looks a little more interesting

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 3, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

can I bait someone into an effortpost about why feudal Japanese warfare was so different?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ADLG does at least have some rudimentary command control with each flank having its own commander, but there's no distinction between different army types other than general skill

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's an operational-scale board game and a bit abstract, but has anyone played Sekigahara? It's a block wargame where the major mechanic is that troops will only actually fight in a battle if you have their clan's loyalty (represented by a hand of cards)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Yeah I've been thinking for a while about a sonae based 6mm samurai warfare game where you basically have unit cards with stats for the sonae as a fighting force, and unit cards with stats for the commander. So imagine each side has like, 4-6 of these sonae, which can have varying quality (size, morale etc) and varying personalities leading them. Maybe a hothead that is super inspiring for the troops in combat but very likely to advance into danger no matter his order, or a wiley uncle that is unlikely to get stuck in if others are not already in combat. Or someone that's more likely to get pissed off if you give them orders repeatedly, and so on.

Then you act as the damiyo, herding these cats into battle. The idea would be to somehow be able to have a risk/reward command system where the odds could be affected by how happy or pissed off the commanders are , but also depending on the morale of the men they are leading. Troops led by a less bold general will retreat more easily, generals leading a sonae in disarray is less likely to obey your orders, things like that.To make it more interesting, you'd be able to mess with the opponent as well, reflecting spies, bad luck and other things that puts your plan in danger. Just imagine it as a company management boardgame, with swords.

So yeah, a little bit board gameish with some of the same ideas as the Sekigahara board game that StashAugustine mentions, with the actual combat being VERY simplified and abstracted as it would not be the main dish at all. This is my personal mini wargaming hearbreaker, next to a 1/300 scale Japanese feudal naval game.

come to think of it this also kinda ties into the question I asked a bit ago about how to represent barbarian armies as more interesting than "medium swordsman, impetuous"- somebody mentioned Infamy, Infamy which is skirmish and custom made for late republic/early imperial Rome vs Gaul/Germans/Britons but is largely based around command in this way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Endman posted:

David Glantz's book When Titans Clashed is still the go-to single volume on the Nazi/Soviet war imo. It can be very dry, however, but his use of Soviet sources is matchless and it even came out before Beevor's Stalingrad (but has since been updated in a new edition)..

David Stahel, whom I mentioned previously, mostly only deals with the German side of the conflict, but thankfully doesn't fall into the trap that most historians that write books for the mass market do: believing that German sources are inherently more "truthful" than others. Turns out the Germans lied all the time just like everyone else, and German command during Barbarossa was a constant slapfight between senior officers who hated each other's guts.

I've only read one of his series so far bur I loved the bit where he quotes a bunch of Nazis post war talking about how they'd all studied Napoleon in Russia and then presenting evidence they'd only started reading it in like 43

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the "grand strategy" genre includes taking the political considerations of who/what/why/when you go to war with people, while just "strategy" starts with the war as a given and asks you to execute a large part of it. like empire of the sun is the entire war in the pacific, but it's a war that starts with pearl harbor and ends with or without unconditional surrender depending on who wins

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Guest2553 posted:

A fightin' battalion might have more success than a fuckin' one :haw:

Plus they're less ECW and more Restoration period

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On this note is there a preferred rules-light game for early modern stuff? I've seen Field of Glory Renaissance but I'd prefer something smaller and simpler

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jorge Luis Borges, "On Rigor in Miniature Wargaming"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Good article! I've been kinda interested in ancient/medieval for a while but it always seems frustrating how "barbarian" armies are portrayed. I do kinda like one-and-done tournament style mass battle games but even then there's things you can do both in unit and scenario design- for the latter I know at least a lot of FFG/AMG mini games have a bid system where the player with less points gets the advantage in selecting the scenario and terrain. (I've noticed that there's a similar system in FoG and ADLG but in that case it further rewards armies with "good command"). I'd also be interested if anyone has good historical sources on this kind of premodern asymmetric combat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey I wanna do an IL2- inspired paint job for a sci-fi mini, are there any good guides on how to do their camo patterns that don't involve an airbrush?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

A quick google tells me that there were many schemes, so the best thing to do is post a picture of the one you mean.

Something like this- I'm just a little worried about getting the shapes and edges of the camo to look right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey just wanted to say thanks for this post!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been considering painting up the miniatures for Quartermaster General 1914 (basically WW1 Axis & Allies) and the infantry units sound pretty easy- paint the soldiers in uniform colors and the base in the national colors. But I don't know enough about WW1 navies to know if I can paint a bunch of identical ships recognizably differently, though the bases can be painted still. Anyone have references for WW1 ships that can have recognizable colors at very small scale? German, Austrian, Russian, French, Italian, British, American

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dazzle camo would be fun yeah, though I think the minis are too small for even exaggerated flags. I did find this link for ship colors which might help. I think one big challenge is gonna be selecting colors (especially for infantry) that won't get confused with other factions and won't clash with the base colors the game uses (US olive green, UK khaki, France dark blue, Italy light blue, Russia white, Germany dark grey, Austria dark red, Ottomans light red.) Not an expert but it seems Germans and Austrians in particular had pretty similar uniforms.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey about to start on painting those WW1 minis, but I can't decide on a scheme for the Ottomans that's distinct from British khaki and Russian green/brown without also being white (the Russian faction color)- anyone have any advice?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

WIP for painting up WW1 infantry minis from a board game. Left to right: UK US France Italy Russia Ottoman Germany AH. Any suggestions for different colors before I move onto details and washes?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah now that I think about it the blue and red might have been a little better since it gets them a darker blue outfit to match the faction color, as opposed to Italy's light blue. Still hopefully should be easy to pick out as the only bright blue uniforms at least.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Finished up my Quartermaster General minis

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I've been kinda interested in historical for a while but I've been intimidated by collecting all the different armies. I've been kinda interested in 30 years war stuff for a more limited force selection (and the time period/tactics in general); what's the current hotness for rules and models there? I've got a 6x3 ft table and would prefer smaller model counts. Also been interested in Saga Vikings since I've got a box of metal Vikings a friend sent me, where else should I look for models?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna take a look at Saga stuff, probably Anglo-Danes and Normans for the 1066 match-up once I've got through with the Vikings (which seem like they've got enough hearthguard and warriors but basically no levies, in Saga terms.) It does seem like most of the suppliers (including the people who make Saga itself) are from the UK, is there an easier way to get stuff in the US?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the tips. Got a few general questions: how do Saga armies keep different grouping of units straight? The stuff I've done before (Star Wars Legion) has units grouped into fixed sizes (and with more-or-less consistent uniforms) so I can paint and base each unit differently, but Saga appears to have extremely flexible unit sizes. Also, looking into the future how many different types of kit are there- seems like all the Vikings would be the same except Norsegaels and Rus have different levies; then Saxons/Danes, Normans/Carolingians, Scots/Irish, and then Welsh and Byzantines by themselves- but I dont really know a lot about the differences in gear or color between factions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah to be clear I figure that hearthguard/warrior/levy distinction can be made with equipment, it's just keeping the different groupings straight that I worry about- though again I've only played a game with very clear distinctions so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm not too concerned with perfect historical accuracy; it's just kinda dizzying coming from "this box of six dudes is one (1) Rebel Pathfinder unit and nothing else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

With a warlord and bondi I've already done (and just based) that should be a 4 point Viking army. Got some Anglo-Danes on the way, still working on a color palette for them.