Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I mean, there's a persistent story/rumor that some T-34s went directly from the factory to the front lines during the siege of Leningrad either unpainted or with only their red primer applied. But its definitely wrong for an IS-2.

On the subject of Soviets, any thoughts on this list for a friendly Bolt Action match? My likely opponents are British, Sturmpioniers and US Marines.

":ussr:" posted:

+++ Soviet 500 Pt BA/Zis3 (500pts) +++

++ Armies of the Soviet Union (Generic Reinforced Platoon) (500pts) ++

+ Free Units +

Rifle Squad [11x Inexperienced Soldier]
····Green
····Anti-tank Grenades [12x Anti-tank Grenades]
········Tank Hunters
····Inexperienced NCO [Rifle]
····Profiles:
········Inexperienced: Morale:8
········Rifle: Range:24"|Shots:1|Penetration:n/a|Special Rules:-

+ Headquarters (50pts) +

Platoon Commander (50pts)
····Second Lieutenant (50pts) [Regular (50pts), SMG]
····Profiles:
········Regular: Morale:9
········Submachine Gun (SMG): Range:12"|Shots:2|Penetration:n/a|Special Rules:Assault

+ Infantry (200pts) +

Light Machine Gun Squad (Regular) (100pts) [9x Regular Soldier (90pts)]
····Regular NCO (10pts) [Rifle]
····Profiles:

Light Machine Gun Squad (Regular) (100pts) [9x Regular Soldier (90pts)]
····Regular NCO (10pts) [Rifle]
····Profiles:

+ Infantry Support (50pts) +

Sniper Team (50pts) [Regular (50pts)]
····Crew (2), Sniper, Team Weapon
····Profiles:

+ Artillery (80pts) +

ZIS-3 Divisional Gun (80pts) [Regular (80pts)]
····Crew (4), Fixed, Gun Shield, Team Weapon, Versatile
····Profiles:
········Light howitzer: Range:(0/24") - 48"|Shots:1|Penetration:HE|Special Rules:Team, Fixed, Howitzer, HE (D6)
········Medium AT Gun: Range:60"|Shots:1|Penetration:+5|Special Rules:Team, Fixed, HE (D2)

+ Armoured Cars and Recce Vehicles (120pts) +

BA-10 (120pts) [Regular (120pts)]
····Co-axial Weapon, Recce
····Profiles:
········BA-10: Type:Wheeled Vehicle|Damage Value:Armoured Car 7+|Transport:-|Tow:-
········Light AT gun: Range:48"|Shots:1|Penetration:+4|Special Rules:Team, Fixed, HE (D2)
········Light Machine Gun (LMG): Range:30"|Shots:3|Penetration:n/a|Special Rules:Team

I've got a Medium Mortar, Maxim team, Dog Mines and AT Rifles I could swap in for support, and a whole lot more infantry if it's too light on bodies.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

lilljonas posted:

It ended up pushing the entire infantry line back from the woods in the middle of the board. Then it shot and ran over the Soviet's only AT gun, sparking yet another heated debate over how worthless AT guns are compared to tanks as that pretty much ended the game.

I don't know about other AT guns but the Zis-3 has been incredible for me- Medium AT and a light howitzer for 80 points is nuts. Screen it with some AT rifles or infantry with AT grenades to discourage tank assaulters.

My last game it killed a heap of expensive German infantry and schwacked a STUG on a side-shot because it had rotated to try and deal with my aggressively flanking BA-10. Killed ~3x its points value. I think when I get up to 1,000 points I'm gonna take two platoons so I can bring two of them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

muggins posted:

Thought I'd share some pics of our Bolt Action Event today at the Michigan GT.

http://imgur.com/a/f5fGZ

Good to see NWS getting some advertising, they've got the best prices for BA stuff I've found anywhere.

On IS-2 chat, as a Soviet BA player I'm glad its a very capable tank under BA rules. Seems like the FOW ruleset buys into a heap of wehraboo bullshit.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Crossposting from the Military History thread - historical photographic evidence that the Soviets were worse at painting their tanks than I am.

I may try to replicate this if I ever get a T-35, its got a certain "human" factor to it that's charming compared to all the factory perfect camo schemes you see in reference books. Like, you can tell that the crew of this monster were exhausted, they didn't have any time, or much paint, and they did the best they could manage while everything was falling down around them

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I'm looking forward to Team Yankee because the models look nice and I mostly play with friends anyway so if the rules are junk we can try another cold war ruleset or work out some homerules.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

The team yankee pre-orders are up and hoo boy they are a little expensive.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5030

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

The local historical gaming group runs some seriously good-looking scenario games.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124196980@N02/albums/with/72157662528462562

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Flippycunt posted:

Wow, these are seriously beautiful tables/minis they've got there. Any idea how to get in touch with them? San Diegos not far from me and I could use some new faces to play with.

If you search "San Diego Historical Miniature Wargamers" on Facebook that should bring up their group.

muggins posted:

Using .Net rules helps

5 point LMGs that get 5 shots are some poo poo and I have had more than one of my squads torn to pieces by them and the 3 ARs that seem to get thrown into every German squad.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hi - not a regular poster here, but I have a specific item that I'm looking for that I thought historicals players might have an idea of where to find - I'm looking for a gas can, jerrycan style, sized such that it's not wildly out of proportion to a 28mm humanoid miniature. Does anyone have any recommendations for vendors? I've looked through some of the links in the OP and Googled, but can't find something that either comes in small enough quantities/by themselves that I don't have a shitton of extra stuff or doesn't have Nazi stuff on it (NO :stare:)

Tamiya does a 1/48 jerrycan set for ~$10 that's got more stuff in it than you will ever need.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Models-Jerry-Can-Drum/dp/B0008F0X7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451790639&sr=8-2&keywords=tamiya+jerry+can

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

moths posted:

No worries, I was hoping Bolt Action was going to flesh out their Pacific stuff.

Any word on Tanks? I'm surprisingly excited for a fast-play tank game, but their title choice makes it hard to Google.

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/bolt-action/products/empires-in-flames-the-pacific-and-the-far-east-bolt-action-theatre-book

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I believe CinC has the cheapest 1/2400 scale warship miniatures around. Capital ships run $9-10, Cruisers around $6-8 and DDs are around $1.50 a pop.

They don't really have any product images up for their ships which is unfortunate but I've bought a lot of 6mm cold war soviet armor from them and the quality is good- not GHQ good, but GHQ is more expensive.

I will say this, GHQ ships quickly and they give you an actual tracking number, which may very well be worth the cost. CinC sends no shipping notices or confirmations and your stuff shows up on a random date between 2 and 3 business weeks after ordering. I guess that's the magic of sending money to niche grognard businesses with websites from the 90s.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

JcDent posted:

I've heard "inches to cm" for 6mm FoW, then something something movement. As for basing, use small base or cut it in half when you need an even smaller base. Currently, I'm looking for software so I could make a blue print to get bases laser-cut out of plywood.

You can get 1" bases off litko for ~$0.12 per, what I do is mount my 6mm armor to them with magnets so I can bounce between systems that have different basing requirements.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

spectralent posted:

Speaking of the IS-2 being trash, what games are there where the IS-2 is actually pretty good?

Its pretty good in bolt action because its got a heavy AT gun that hit infantry like a medium howitzer, hull mg, coaxial mg, turret rear mg and an option for a pintle mounted HMG.

It can't be the first unit to activate on your turn if it fired the main gun last turn, which is awkward but can be worked around.

Still a huge points investment but much more versatile than the :hitler: heavies. (Its actually slightly cheaper than a Panther)

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

My favorite thing about Bolt Action is that a Veteran Tiger II costs 666 points. :hitler:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

A buddy of mine got his C-in-C order in and sent me some pics, I'm pretty impressed with the detail on this M60A2 Starship.

6mm tanks best tanks.

Edit: Here's all of his armor order, a platoon each of M60A1s, A2s, A3s and 105mm M1s

We're building our forces based on a late 70s timeframe with a little fudge factor for cool stuff, so he's building what he imagines a hodgepodge under strength mechanized battalion would look like after losing most of its inital force of M60A3s in combat and getting REFORGER reinforcements and old tanks pulled from depots as well as absorbing the survivors of shattered units.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 14, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

He just sent me some in-progress pics of his NATO 3-color scheme

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

:getin:

http://imgur.com/a/rqg3j

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

JcDent posted:

As long as you're not looking at their booty.

I have a 1/100 shilka and it's so pretty...

Anyways, ordered more dudes yesterday: 8 BMP-2s, 2 recce BMP-1s, 3 M1s, Soviet Support Weapons and a trial M113 from Grendel.

So I might be building that 50 pts Amerikanski list, too. Unfortunately, the inf mini choice is Heroics or Heroics, since CnC website won't open and Grendel only does tanks.

Neither of them have FISTVs or whatever the spotter M113 in TY is supposed to be.

GHQ does some nice infantry miniatures too- it may be worth paying the premium for them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

use both, do some of them in one colour and some in the other

Or mix the two 50/50. Dye shades varied wildly in mass produced military uniforms anyway.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

muggins posted:

"historicals" is a four letter word to some of my bros =( they'll play horus Heresy but not a "historical". They'll play groggy as poo poo star trek stuff but not historicals

I just want to shake them and say THIS IS BETTER. BELIEVE ME. JUST DO IT

have you told them that they can play as actual nazis instead of just pretend ones

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

6MM is cheap enough that you can buy both sides easily.

The ridiculous prices for Team Yankee stuff makes this even more true. I got what is effectively an under strength soviet armored battalion (T-72 and T-64 companies, BMP-2 company, Recce and ATGM BRDMs, Recce BMP-1s, a Gvosdika battery, a platoon of Shilkas and Strela BRDMS, various command vehicles, trucks, MT-LBs, some BTR-70s etc) off C-in-C for less than the Team Yankee soviet starter box.

My buddy's 6mm US Armor (Link below) ran him around $45 I think.

http://imgur.com/a/rqg3j

(Edit I just looked at my orders and that big blob of communism was $112. Compare to Team Yankee where $120 gets you like 7 T-72s and a couple of hinds. :staredog: )

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

The Dice Bag Lady aka Bad Squiddo Games has got a new range- Women of the Red Army

http://thedicebaglady.net/bad-squiddo-games-women-of-the-red-army/

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Time for me to shill for C-in-C again I guess.

An M60A1, M113, BTR-70 and T-72A in 6mm. They run ~$5-6 for a pack of 4.

Impressed-looking 28mm Soviet submachinegunner for scale.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Bolt Action has a Commissar as well, but he's totally optional. Any units he's in command range of must remove a model if they fail an orders test but can re-roll the test. If this happens 3 times in a turn the Commissar gets fragged instead.

Of course the great thing about Bolt Action is that you can run almost any sort of force you want, from elite guards units with piles of firepower to "Enemy at the Gates was a documentary" style conscript hordes.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Endman posted:

I just think Commissars are wholly inappropriate unless you're going to include a mechanic to represent the propaganda war.

That would be pretty awesome, though. Mess with your enemy's head by shouting subversive messages over a loudspeaker! :v:

I've always wanted to rig up a Soviet tank with one of those programmable greeting card speakers and a hidden button so it can blast The Sacred War when I activate it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I love cold war stuff so is team yankee for me?

Also are there any naval minis games?

There's Sails of Glory, which is X-Wing style with pre-painted models and all.

But that's just dipping a toe in the groggy depths of tabletop naval war. There are tons of rulesets out there, and many manufacturers making very tiny ships. GHQ has their 1/2000 Age of Sail and 1/2400 WW1/WW2/Modern Micronauts line, for instance.

If stuff like this

gets you hot, you should consider one of the rulesets + computer combat systems from NWS.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

The idea of modern naval tabletop wargaming gives me a grog boner but do I gotta use PC programs to play tabletop? Also any cold war air combat tt games? The groggier the better

The program is just there to automate ballistics and damage modelling in order to maximize grog/hr

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

JcDent posted:

I still want a tiny BA force of regulars and one Tiger I

You could do a Last Levy list with all kinds of wacky odds and sods. Volkssturm, Hitler Jugend, etc. Warlord even sells Luftwaffe auxiliaries and a Kriegsmarine crew with extremely powerful beards and cool hats.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I started reading the book the other day, and it's really dated. One sign that it wasn't going to go well was the author mentioning 4 times within 5 pages how the human brain doesn't function well at 0245 in the morning... Just off the first two chapters, I'd recommend Red Storm Rising over Team Yankee (though it's been years since I read Storm, so it might also suffer badly from dating.)

Red Army is the best Cold War gone Hot book because it doesn't wank over tech and the Soviets win which is Right and Correct. :ussr:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Actually now that I remember it Chieftains is the superior British version of Team Yankee because it ends with the protagonist crew boiling alive in their tank with the hatches welded down by the thermal pulse when the Soviets escalate to tactical nuke employment :black101:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Red Thrust would be a pretty solid username

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Otisburg posted:

Does either FoW or BA have Anti-Tank dogs?

:ussr:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Otisburg posted:

No fooling this is a tremendous selling point for me on the game. Regardless of how they modeled their efficacy, I now want to run a list that spams the maximum legal number of these guys.

They're actually pretty good, Soviets get extra selection for infantry AT teams so they can take 3 squads of them, they hit on a 4+, whiff on 2-3 and hit one of your own vehicles in range on a 1. Damage wise they hit like a medium AT gun which can mess up most tanks. And once you burn the dogs you can use the handlers like little independent kill-team to harass enemy squads or hunt spotters.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Conan the Librarian posted:

I'm willing to bet that Battlefront wanted to have a book/movie tie in for their Team Yankee release and Coyle was the best they could get for the little or no money they were able to spend. If I had to guess they would have preferred something like Red Storm Rising but Team Yankee was affordable and focused heavily on the forces that their game models, so that is what they went with. I've never bothered to read the book myself, I just assumed that if there was a good WW3 novel out there I would have known about it before the game released.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Trenchworx has started a new kickstarter for resin tanks, this time themed around the Western Front of WW2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610277926/tanks-on-the-western-front-in-28mm-by-trenchworx

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 3, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

Has anyone had any experience ordering from CinC? It seems to be taking a long time for my order to show up and I'm getting zero response from these dudes.

Took around 3 weeks for my last order, I think?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Cold War Commander has an initiative mechanic where units can still activate at the end of the turn to either fire at the closest enemy within their "initiative range" or continue moving in the same direction they did last turn. Maybe that would be helpful?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

So my gaming club is starting a Bolt Action escalation league campaign set in North Africa and then transitioning to Sicily and Italy. I've decided to do a ~~Historically Accurate~~ US Armored Infantry platoon - specifically one from the 6th Armored Infantry Regiment "Regulars" of the 1st Armored Division "Old Ironsides".

I've been researching TO&Es and camoflauge patterns for hours. Incidentally, does anyone know the correct shade of green for an M3 Halftrack in September 1942? PLEASE SEND HELP

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

SOVIET STEEL :ussr:

IS-2 and ISU-152 by JTFM, IS-3 by Warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

My first attempt at Soviet micro-armor.

Face-off with a platoon of Abrams.

We're planning on playing Team Yankee in 6mm.