Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It doesn't sound like he was actually planning on using it for anything, just being a creepy weirdo with a cache of weapons. That said, I seriously hope that stuff gets to a museum or something rather than just getting scrapped; I seem to remember there's not many surviving examples of Panthers, right? Especially not ones that still run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

YF19pilot posted:

I wish they would leave the crazy/speculative poo poo for a "Late War" Monsters type book. But I'll forgive them if I can take the captured British Mk. IV that apparently was actually used.

Not going to happen. It's suggested that it was used by Soviets :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is an expansion for Flames of War's Mid-War period where you can get goofy stuff like T-43s and KV-5s. If I played Mid-War more often (i.e. at all) I'd actually probably grab a KV-5, since it's basically invulnerable to literally everything on the board short of other goofy experimentals. .

I never understood why FoW released it's goofy-prototypes book for mid war, rather than late war, when the napkinwaffe brigades would've been stocked full in goofy alternate timelines.

Then again I guess as of Berlin we're getting shittons of goofy prototypes anyway.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think the reason why they did Mid-War Monsters was because Mid-War only has two books that cover the majority of the fighting that was taking place, so it was a way to introduce some new content without dedicating themselves to re-doing the whole period. I think similar books are also planned for EW and LW now that both periods are "Finished," though who knows when those will come out. There is a fan-made "Late-War Leviathans" expansion, but it's... not great.

As to prototypes in Berlin, the Bedbugs and the Waffentrager are the only ones that make an appearence. Sorry Maus enthusiasts, you'll have your day in the sun someday :v:

I'm going to have to ask about Bedbugs; they've evaded me despite my interest in dumb german napkinwaffe.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They're basically demolition carriers with panzershrecks stapled to them. In the game they get their full RoF while moving, but are short-ranged, extremely fragile, and need to pass a skill test to be able to reload. Basically a way to get some cheap anti-tank if you've got 45 points left over for two of them.

Man, those only look slightly impractical, not completely moronic :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

So it is :stare:

Why the gently caress is it in an Early War book then?

It's a weird kind of early-mid book, it has a lot of lists printed in duplicate to have changing gear as the war went on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

DiHK posted:

yeah, I'm just super jealous and angry at the weak dollar & cross atlantic shipping rates.

Shipping is at least also insane in reverse. I've ordered books which are less than their shipping. Like, expensive books.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Two 10mm white metal minis from the US is £16 for the cheapest shipping option. What the gently caress.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Conan the Librarian posted:

That looks like a 15mm Sd Kfz 251/1D kit. How small are those magnets and where did you get them? Magnetizing parts this small is a good way to keep them from being broken off.

28mm if it's BA. Does look a lot like PSC's 15mm kit though, you're right.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've heard people say they refuse to play people who paint their tanks wrong but personally I've always thought goofy paint schemes could be fun. Bare plastic is ugly as gently caress and I'm not going to turn someone down for that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Numlock posted:

Personally I think those stories are total bunk, at least in regards to FoW and I suppose Bolt Action. I've never seen it, experienced it or heard of it happening from somebody that experienced it or saw it themselves. Just "I heard that some guys won't...."

I read people say they refuse to play anyone who comes with a flag Sherman or Gundam comets or whatever, but as you say, I've never seen someone do it. Granted I've only ever been to one club and not for long.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

6mm is awesome for spectacle. I've wanted to do 6mm armoured warfare for a long old time but I'd be in the state of buying both armies, as usual.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The other cold-war era game I hear about is Fistful of TOWs; not sure how good it is, but I've seen it does list company arrangements in exhaustive detail.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Throbbing blob posted:

That can both be a good thing and a bad thing

Yeah, not sure how playable it is but I know some people swear by it. I liked the armour mechanic I read though (subtract armour from firepower, roll that many d6, 4s and 5s are damages and 6 is destroyed).

If you try it I'd be interested in hearing about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm glad I'm in the UK then - the (small) saving plus a load of "free" plastic tanks just as I'm about to do WWII skirmish gaming? Thanks!

Free tanks?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Having located a copy of Fistful of TOWs, it seems fairly complex. It may be one of those things where in-play it's easier to digest, but the rulebook definitely felt dense. It does, however, model everyone from the last century, so I suspect it's a GURPS-like case of "complex, but when you're done you only need to memorise the one thing".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

I can't believe they're using 28mm in the pics, not 15mm.

Given the scale of modern games I think 15 or 10mm is about as high as you can go unless you are having squad level skirmish.

I've felt 15mm FoW starts looking really cramped when soviets get put down, even. What level is 3GW, anyway? Company, batallion?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I'm interested but uncertain. Though I see it supports 6mm, and I've been looking for a good mass-scale armour game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

CWC is fine but I find it a little over-abstract, the spotting rules are a little binary for my liking, and I've never quite gotten on with the orders system. Also I mildly resent how similar it is to Blitzkrieg Commander. It looks fine though (I've never actually played with my cold war dollies :eng99:)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Looks like 3GW has random amounts of activations like a few other systems. This really seems to be the command rule of the month of games I've read recently and it kind of bugs me, since you tend to have units that are totally immobile, neither acting nor reacting as the battle goes on around them. I think I have a distinct preference for either random activations and guaranteed reactions, or everyone gets an action and no/limited reactions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like the way Muskets & Tomahawks does it. Everyone gets an activation, but the order is random.

Bolt Action does something semi-similar with dice-picking, though that's more "who activates next me or you".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Commissar Kip posted:

Does it have rules for soviet missile launcher platforms?

I assume yes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

CoC let's you roll dice for how you can activate teams or leaders, so that you can choose yourself which of your squads are hosed and can't move.

I thought CoC had reactions, though? Also, I kind of give CoC a bit of a pass because the board being unplannable is basically it's entire thing given you can't even guarantee how long a turn will be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I know my club doesn't object to blue-on-blue, but I have noticed a large degree of this with WW2 games, given there's three big allies, and only Germany for the axis.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Numlock posted:

So when Team Yankee is released does it count as historical and go in here?

I think CWGH scenarios have always been historical; historics aren't necessarily always recreations of the past directly, they can also be historically-projected events and hypotheticals.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

Team Yankee will be a neat test of the hypothesis where the reason there's so much German poo poo is because the Germans had so many weird vehicles and uniforms, as opposed to grogs being horrible people.

While I think that's a part of the german appeal to non-awful people, how would TY test this? Are we assuming that MBTs will hold appeal to people who liked Panthers and Tigers?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, even in the main game I was amazed how crippling Hen and Chicks is.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are a ton of obscure Soviet vehicles and uniforms in the WWII period to sperg out over, anyone that painted 15 different kinds of SS armies is probably not in it for uniform variety.

Especially Early War the Soviets are incredibly ragtag. But then I guess Germans also have the SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING thing going for them, which is going to also be part of the appeal. Russians probably won't have the same reputation for designing the perfect tanks (in fact I know they won't).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

Yeah...

...the superior German engineering...

*keeps fighting T-34s and K-2s with pak 36's and Pz. IIs*

Yeah, it's bollocks, but people have this mental image of german tanks being perfect, immortal death machines (c.f. "Impenetrable tiger", "Five shermans to defeat one panther", etc etc) compared to anything the allies had. Russia doesn't have a memetic legacy of making feared and respected tanks; everyone "knows" that Russian engineering is only good for pumping out masses for zerg rushes in anticipation of their enormous casualty ratio.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

dtkozl posted:

Is there a miniature system that treats the soviets like they actually were, ie competent enough to turn the german war machine on its head and not this cold war propaganda bullshit like in fow with hen and chicks and hordes like a fantasy orc army?

I think it's mostly there to allow them to have huge hordes of tanks. But you might be interested in Chain of Command, which has less differentiation in troop styles via special rules and stuff period.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Those are Hero lists, though, which tend to be overpriced.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'd like one that didn't have bullshit commissar rules, too. No idea if CoC does or not.

CoC does not. It's honestly all rather good. It even notes that late-war germany isn't a fearless and well-drilled crack troop because all their fearless and well etc etc got slaughtered on the eastern meatgrinder years ago and now it's "EVEEEERRYYYYOOOOONE" time.

dtkozl posted:

I was fine with it in early war since it was simulating the lack of radios in soviet tanks and their doctrine of always going into the attack buttoned up and it did an ok job. The problem I have is they didn't really get rid of it for late war when they had radios.

That combined with the hordes of infantry, which were always a fiction, I can only figure they kept hens and chicks so they could keep up the high tank numbers and reinforce the old lie of the faceless soviet horde.

I have not played bolt action but it seems you get a free conscript squad as the soviets? Seem rather suspect as well.

High tank numbers are marginally more okay since there actually was a huge amount more soviet tanks than nazi ones. That said, similar logic should be in play for the US/UK forces under that remit, I guess...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Incidentally what FoW books are actually 3rd edition? They appear to still be selling 2nd edition books and it's really very confusing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Playing soviets late-war the two biggest issues I have are not having enough room to physically move (usually terrain forces me heavily bunched up and there's at least one bottleneck) and that against concealed vets H&C means you can't hit period until you're parked.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Weird question maybe, but have people's clubs got a notable issue with WW2 games where there's an allies bias in players? I've not been to my club long enough to see, but there's only a few notable axis powers, versus a larger smattering of allies to pick from. Does this tilt things towards lots of blue-on-blue, or is the lure of wehraboodom strong enough to mean more people play the fewer axis powers?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I mean I took Soviets as my first army (an infantry company sized amount of stands being one effective platoon says that might've been a mistake) but I've just realised there's a lot of options for allies and less for axis, and wondered if that biased things.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Somebody has to play the baddies. It's just that some people are suspiciously enthusiastic.

Yeah, I mean I've got a tank company but when I was the only FoW player I knew I needed someone for my soviets to play :v:

It is a little suspect that the only thing that overcomes the bias against playing the baddies is the nazis though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe a dumb question, but why are heavy tank companies considered so bad in Flames of War?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oh yeah, no, never use IS-2s. I tried sticking them in my tankovy list and they're always 300-500 points that does gently caress all. They at least looked kinda scary for a while until everyone realised they barely ever did anything and now they're not even a distraction :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's unreasonably annoying, too, given how iconic and important they were IRL.