Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Whoooof, Sangin is brutal. We played it for about three months and nobody wants to come back to it. Playing with more than a fireteam and individual activations is certainly a thing.

That being said, I do like some of the mechanics for it and it definitely has a different feel than Spectre/any of the other wannbe COD tabletop games. I think there is something there that would make for an interesting solo or GM-driven game with the emphasis on spotting and ranges. Maybe some kind of hybrid game where Sangin is the first couple rounds as the forces approach, then a more run and gun game once poo poo pops off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Der Shovel posted:

That is a very good Tiger!
It's G-R-R-R-R-R-eat!

:dadjoke:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Stargrave, the s/f version of Frostgrave is supposed to be out in April(?). If you are looking for real loose, beer and pretzels, that might be your jam. Hell, depending on how loose you were about things, you can easily use Frostgrave and just swap stuff out as tech or cyber junk rather than magic.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I mentioned I was getting into minis painting on an online group and a helpful friend sent me what looks like at least a hundred 28mm metal Vikings. I've been kind of looking at Saga as a game, what stuff should I paint up for a starter army? Looks like I've got a ton of huscarls and bondi, a few archers and civilians, and some berserkers; plus some mounted troops.
(Also is just standard superglue usable for this?)

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) is fine for metal. If you are just getting started, dudes on foot with axes/swords and not particularly armored other than helmet and shield can work in quite a few forces and should be a good core to figure out what you like and what you want to concentrate on. Mounted stuff and archers are getting a bit niche, but paint whatever makes you happy.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The first of the Warhams Historicals were based on Fantasy and Warmaster, so that would have all been Priestley, but the later ones were whomever got a wild hair.

Legends of the Old West was very good, done by Mark Latham(?), who I think also did the Waterloo and Trafalgar books. I only played one game of Trafalgar, but remember liking it at the time. Warwick Kinrade did Kampfgruppe Normandy, which became the Battlegroup [whatever] series, which a decent number of people I know like quite a bit, but personally for me I prefer Chain of Command for WWII. I have a feeling like I am forgetting a quite a few titles as it seemed like they were really good at releasing books with almost zero publicity.

If anything, once Warhammer Historical became established, I can't think of any titles Rick worked on. At that point, he probably knew that his time at Workshop was coming to an end and reserved any design work for after he left.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cement-free workable tracks are easy to assemble!

At least the hull and turret are one piece to make up for the tracks and the million road wheels.

Godspeed fellow goon!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

North Star has 100mm, Wargames Foundry has 80mm (looks like they are out of stock at the moment), and Warlord has 50mm.

I have used the North Star and pretty sure the Warlord ones and they are all 'fine'.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

With the way the bases are tagged, it almost makes me wonder if it wasn't someone that just liked painting figs, but didn't play games with them. There was a suuuuuuuper old dude in the area when I first started messing with l'il mans that was mostly into scale trains, but had a bunch of WWII stuff that was tagged kinda like that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Poor Freckles; thought of artillery tables and died.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL, that is the hill a lot of crusty grognard companies (using that word loosely as they are likely 1-3 people) have chosen to die on.

Guess filling the orders that came in that week for rules are is the thing that gets them out of bed every morning.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hell, I owned the OG battle boards (and the new ones, just haven't played with them) and I photoshopped them to have just D6 for the abilities and printed those. If they had sold PDFs, I coulda saved like two whole steps!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It didn’t help that those dice were super-hard to get for a decent amount of time. The impetus for making the D6 boards was after the going rate on the dice was too high to pass up.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The strap doesn't even need to be green stuff. A lot of the stowage straps I have made in the past were just strips of thick paper/not quite cardboard. I'm sure you have or will get soon some pieces of junk mail that would be great for that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cessna posted:

You could make a little vignette like this on a base:

Goddamn, that thumbnail is misleading as hell. I thought that was gonna be some l'il kid signifer, not a dude standing down the hill...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

alg posted:

Has anyone ever drilled Victrix hands for wire spears? I tried but the hands are so fragile. Looking for any kind of tips, tired of the spears breaking from just taking a mini out.

Cut off the existing spear flush to the top and bottom of the hand. Start with a t i n y drill bit, drilling about halfway down into the hand from the top. Drill from the bottom to meet the top hole. You can probably use the area you cut flush to help centering your holes as you start. This gives you some leeway in trying to center the hole on both sides and using a tiny bit keeps you from instantly destroying the whole hand.

I would use a slightly larger bit than the t i n y one to make the hole slightly larger and not blow out and weaken the hand. Since you are already drilling into a pilot hole, this should be pretty fast. Finally, drill with the size to fit for the wire spears. You should end up with a nice, clean hole and little, if any, white, weak spots. Maybe some between the fingers, but certainly not across the knuckles or back of the hand.

If you do it in reasonable batches, even switching bits between one pin vise, it shouldn't take too long. I would highly recommend doing it by hand. Using a Dremel or whatever motor tool is asking for something to go sideways.

This is a drill set I recommend for an entire assortment of t i n y bits to ones that should be big enough for wire spears. https://www.micromark.com/The-Rogers-Drill-Bit-Set-61-80-Set-of-20

Once you get a feel for what sizes of bits you like, https://contenti.com is a good place to get good quality bits in specific sizes.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Wasn't there a historical games sculptor who blew their arm off firing a cannon?

Edit: It was one of the Perry Brothers, who did Warhammer Historical illustrations and sculpting. They lost part of their right arm in a re-enactment of the Battle of Crecy.

Mangled Michael and All-Together Alan is how they used to introduce themselves.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some wonderful Japanese twitter user takes photo of theirs with little model cats walking across the keyboards. No, brother-kitten, get down, we are trying to command the space marines. Please move.

Goddammit Buttons, do not enact Exterminatus!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I said come in! posted:

I feel stupid right now but what is everyone playing nowadays for modern day? I saw on the first page the game Ambush Alley, but going to their website, I can't find where to buy the miniatures, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please?

Skirmish Sangin is a decent core, but needs some house rules to really 'fit' for what we wanted. Spectre just came out with a new system that seems pretty decent, but haven't had a chance to play yet-hopefully by the beginning of next year. If you really liked the previous version of Spectre, there is a new ruleset called Asymmetric Warfare that is essentially Spectre third edition with a new name/publisher.

Black Powder Red Earth is getting some traction and has some interesting mechanics, but I get a real dog whistle vibe from them, so YMMV.

As far as minis go, it feels like everyone is printing stuff now. Everyone wants their own particular combination of rattle and weapons, so trying to do that in a physical line would be a nightmare. Personally, I have a bit of a backlog of Mongrel Miniatures MENA insurgents and some Hasslefree Modern Adventurers that I am wanting to finish up. I hope that is all I need as both ranges are pretty much dead at this point. I sold my Tiny Terrain Chechens a while back to a buddy that was looking for them and couldn't get 'em since that line is dead as well.

My next moderns project is probably going to be something like a LA bank heist/cartel/GTA-ish thing and I am thinking those will likely be prints.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Penny is fine as long as 28mm fig fits and doesn't look like it is striding over it.

You might want to keep some kind of dessicant in with them. I had some Khurasan 15s on various penny and washer bases when I still lived in Virginia and I'm pretty sure the pennies oxidizing was enough to pop them apart while the ones on washers were fine.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Can't wait to see how this ends up.

https://www.fightforamerica.games/

The dude that is Spectre Miniatures now says he is doing all the figs, which is certainly a feat.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

WWI, interwar, and postwar tanks could have a solid blue-green-grey color that can look rather blue in certain light. I don't know if it is actually blue, but it is close enough that 'blue' is a valid claim.

In particular I'm seeing AMX 30s, 13s, and FT17s that are 'blue'. Probably not great for grassland, but I could see it being a good scheme for urban use. I'll have to take a look at my Osprey collection to see what I can dig up but I am pretty sure I have more books about English and Japanese armor than French, so the pickings may be slim.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They have never done PDFs because apparently PDF=piracy.

Never mind that other than Frostgrave, I think Saga is the most common wargame pdfs that I have seen floating around. Grogs gonna grog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Lumbermouth posted:

The combo of No PDFs + never actually having rules consistently in stock has made my decision on Saga for me.

Good thing boot PDFs don't seem to be hard to find. Hell, for a decent amount of time, Scribd had a copy that looked like it was made from the publishing document (crop marks, Distiller header and footer).