Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wowshawk posted:

Edit for Der Shovel: make sure you seal the mdf with varnish or hairspray first, so the primer doesn't soak in.

Thanks for the tip. I just picked up some MDF sabot bases from Litko, and was going to prime them tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have 5 lbs of random 15mm Napeolonics metal coming to me for just the cost of shipping.

I think I have a problem.

(That problem is: I dunno what I'll do with 15mm Napoleonics. DBN maybe.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You could play Black Powder without needing a ridiculously huge table

That's a good idea. Also it looks like General d'Armee is written for 15mm which is neat (but still, I don't own a 6x4 table, hence whey I'm drawn to Saga, DBx, etc.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

What army/armles did you get?

I'll know when I get it! :D The guy just said "it's 5 pounds of lead - 3 ziplock bags full" I could see infantry and horses from the pictures, but couldn't tell anything about uniforms.

But I already have my 28mm French infanterie de ligne to paint up first (after my Saga army is done). And then I have a 15mm Polybian Roman army and a 15mm Carthaginian army to paint up....

ok, maybe I do have a problem...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

e: Also I just want to give my condolences that American politics have gotten so incredibly hosed up and divisive that it's not possible to comfortably share a hobby with American conservatives at this point. Here, the historicals crowd is definitely skewed towards the middle-aged conservative side, but we can still all be friends and play with toy soldiers like adults. I hope American society starts healing soon, but I doubt it. :sigh:

Yeah, I have basically no hopes of playing ACW games with anyone in the next decade or so, since I've never really met another left-leaning person interested in it. And right now is... not a good time to interact with American conservatives interested in Civil War.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

If you're ever in Denver send me a PM. We can flip a coin to see who has to play the losers.

I'm in the Philly area, but I'll keep that in mind!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

More pics and a longer entry at the blog as usual:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/dark-agesmedieval/starting-a-viking-warband-for-saga

I'm also starting an instagram for my historical miniature nerdery, please feel free to post if you are on there so I can follow you guys. :)

drat, my Saga guys look dinky in comparison. Great work!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
More and more Saga minis getting painted over here too... I'm up to a warlord and 8 hirdmen. Just need to paint up my 16 bondi and I'll have a solid 4 point army.

Threw together a quick crop field with modular fences today too

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fucks sake, even the apology is just "we're sorry you got mad" worded a different way.

I'm a Vallejo man, but if I ever had plans to buy AK products, I'm out now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My 5 pounds of free Napoleonics lead came in and holy moly

Mixture of painted/unpainted, it's gonna take a while to piece out what everything is but... Not bad for the price!

Edit-- bag 1: looks like a shitload of horses, hussars, and Infantry... All french?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 15, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can easily tell the normal French vs British headgear in here, but I'm confused about these chappies:

They're not bearskins, they look like feathers on top of a shako? There's a bunch in the same bag as the British infantries, so I'm not sure.

edit-- Highland infantry maybe?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 16, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I sorted it out into a huge bag of artillery, a bag full of like 200 horses, a bag full of a couple hundred mounted guys, and a couple hundred infantry...

...next step is to go through and try and figure out nationalities :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Paint 15mm minis they said... they'll go quicker they said...

Two and a half hours later I have one cavalry commander on a base. Two more figures to go on this base before I can add grass. 15mm is pretty rewarding though, considering how tiny everything is and how much you have to concentrate. (I know, the 6mm folks are laughing at me)

Edit-- command base done

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've discovered my least favorite thing: trying to attach spears to 15mm lead models.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
DBA Polybian Roman army is done!

1 equites w/ general
1 equites
2 velites
6 hastati/principes
2 triarii

I'm very happy with how everything turned out. Now I have 12 bases of later Carthaginians to paint up and I can play a game against myself.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
NSFW: French Hussar gets sucked up in a vacuum, body is mangled

:ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Having trouble figuring out what this guy is in the French ligne box from Perry... There's 2 on each sprue, this is one, the other is in greatcoat.

The shako says command or flank unit (well, command, since there no extra tuft on the pompom) but the uniform looks fusilier to me? Is it a legere unit? What am I missing?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Think it's fair to call this 4pt Viking warband done.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I knew I could count on liljonas. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cassa posted:

drat, so SAGA really is just that good huh.

It's a really great game but what makes you say that

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone tried the Punic Wars era saga yet?

People on Facebook have been raving about it and the armies look really neat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

the moose posted:

How compatable are the various SAGA ages to each other? I was looking to get into it the other day and saw that there were multiple ages.can 2 people with warbands from different ages still play each other?

Technically yeah, I think. They use the same basic rules, there just some addon stuff from each Age book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Liljonas you are an inspiration

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, I'm really tempted by the new Warlord 15mm ACW, but... I feel like I could get a whole lot more bang for the same buck if I picked up a couple packs of Baccus 6mm ACW. I only have a 3'x4' table anyway :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finished my (technically) first fully painted Napoleonics figure today, which was just done as a basing process test (testing out chip board + mod podge + joint filler as a base). A 15mm British fusilier. I have about 100+ of these in a bag, so it wasn't any skin off my back to waste one.

This is from the huge grab bag of lead that I got a few months back - I'm not sure if it's because they've been banging around in a bag with 100+ other guys for months, but holy moly these sculpts are bad. There's basically no detail on the chest so I had no idea where the straps and such were. I kind of just winged it for most of the model. I've painted other 15mm models that were way more detailed than this, so who knows. But eh, I have like 5 pounds of 15mm Napoleonics so I guess I'll paint them as best I can! Hopefully from a 3 foot distance they're readable as British infantry.

edit-- Now that I'm looking at the photo, I'm seeing chest details I didn't notice before :geno:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I picked up a bunch of 6mm Romans and Gauls to put together a couple To The Strongest armies. Also I threw in a British Nappy army and a French Nappy army while I was at it (both 6mm). No idea what I'll do with those!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyone have any good leads on 3d printing army packs? I just got a 3d printer and it'd be fun to print out some cheap armies (a la 6mm or 10mm) to mess around with. Any good patreons or makers out there?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I did a late pledge for the March to Hell: Rome set of 3D printing files since it should be everything I need to build both sides for a Boudica campaign. Really happy with the quality of these prints for 15mm! I can crank out about 1 of those 40x15mm infantry stands every couple hours, which sure as hell is faster than I'll be able to paint them. I even threw together a movement tray in TinkerCAD

I feel like I'm living in the future

Edit-- leaning toward Hail Caesar since it seems to be the most popular ancients system that isn't DBA

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Their site says they scale up to 28mm, have you tried once at that size, and if so are the proportions wonky?

As far as I can tell the proportions are all the same, it's an exact 1:1 scaling. The downloads have both 15 and 28 versions in each zip file

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Holy poo poo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Still have to finish putting the shields on, but a unit of legionnaires, a leader, all the bases and the movement tray isn't bad for an afternoon of printing.

I was worries 3 ranks wouldn't look full enough but I'm pretty happy with that.

And yeah, I think these sculpts would look wonky in 28mm but I think they're decent in 15mm

Next up is printing a bunch of Celts with their dicks out

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 14, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

At 15mm I think the kinda cartoonish proportions work fine and should make them easier to paint.

Exactly. I think exaggerating the features works best at small scales, but it would look odd at 28mm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Woo, got all my Romans shielded up and printed out a unit of Celtic Warband last night

Considering the resin cost for each unit is $1-$2, I'm pretty happy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love small rules publishers... I just sent €5 to some email address via paypal for the L'art de la Guerre rules, hopefully they show up some day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I absolutely love the rules of To The Strongest!, and I've setup some Celts and Romans for a little test game. Nothing's painted yet, but everything on the table is 3d printed at home, and after a couple weeks straight of printing, I'm excited to see how my Boudicca's Rebellion game is coming along :)

I actually really expected to hate the grid system, but it works pretty elegantly compared to similar small-density games (DBA for example) where a millimeter or two can be worth arguing over. And the little grid dots I put on my game mat are super unobtrusive. I'm happy. Can't wait to get everything printed and painted.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've lost my mind and, rather than buy new minis to game out English Civil War stuff, I'm just modeling and printing out 2mm units.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna paint these, but printing out a full unit all in 20 minutes is pretty neat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tias posted:

Did you sculpt those yourself? :o

Looks like there's PLA 3d printing lines in it, which I'm hoping for because I'd love to have those STLs!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Definitely lost my mind. I have no idea how to make 2mm look good, but I have to admit I love the effect.

And I printed out a sled for it that I can put a label on to remember whose regiment it is!

Stand battalion of pike and shot, Royalists, ECW:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I'm partial to Catton's books on the Civil War. His prose evokes the grandeur and tragedy of the great events in motion better than anyone else I've read. The Coming Tragedy is an absolutely fascinating analysis of the 1860 presidential campaign and Buchanan's miserable lame duck period.

In other news, I got some 15mm Carthaginians out of my 3d printer. These are March to Hell 15mm Carthaginian archers (the other photos came out blurry). Good minis, but I'll have to be much more careful getting them out of the supports.

Heck yeah, March to Hell Rome has been an incredible value... Republican roman, imperial roman, Celts, germans, gauls, carthaginians, and more that they're still developing! Its hundreds of minis and more to come, and it was a wildly low cost to kickstart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yessss I've been looking for ACW STLs for a while that look decent at small scales. That's awesome. Now I just need to find a ruleset that I can play on a 3x4 table.

Speaking of STLs, I just bought a 100YW pack on a whim, and there's a ton of stuff here (it's like 4gigs), but I realized too late that there's no bowmen, no flag holders, and nothing on horse :| I need to do more digging before I can print and paint a 100YW army or two I guess.