Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I wanted to base up 15mm WW2 to be the most flexible for all the various rulesets out there? Individual? FoW style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My 2024 goal is to actually finish and paint an army for something, not just a few figures and then move on to something else.

Edit-- making 15mm ADLG armies, I'm manifesting them in this order:
1) Romans vs. Britons
2) Hussites vs. Catholic Germans
3) Samurai vs. Samurai
4) Italian Wars stuff for ADLG-R once I get comfy with the ADLG rules

I know folks here don't care about my plans but it's sort of a light toxxing of myself 😫

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 1, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gorgeous table, what are the roads? They blend in perfectly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

Y'all are killing me here. I'm trying to save for a house.

10mm? 15mm? 28mm?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

They're an odd scale, between 10mm and 15mm.

I'm okay with this, as I'm just going to get ACW stuff and I don't care if it's compatible with anything else.

Oh I was just making a joke about the house Virtual Russian is saving up for :)

But to add content - MCMiniatures on Wargaming3d has a HUGE line of 13.5mm/epic scale Napoleonic stuff - https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/small-15mm-w-epic-size-french-line-1812-15/. Pretty much name a country and unit type and he's got it. Great way to expand past the confines of Waterloo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Italian Wars have the best looking units of any conflict ever

:colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just played my first game of C&C Tricorne that I got as a gift and now I'm like "hmmmm how many stands would it take to convert this to minis....."

Tons of people do C&C Napoleonics, they just use 6mm figures on bases the size of the C&C hexes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I'll admit to a barely rudimentary knowledge of the Italian Wars, I just think it's such a fascinating era right on the cusp where you have the solidification of Pike and shot while at the same time having elaborate plate mail knights and also garish Landsknecht.

Basically, France and Spain paid Swiss and German mercenaries to fight over parts of Italy - past that and it's a complicated mess of personalities that makes Game of Thrones seem quaint.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Southern Heel posted:

I say that mostly because I got caught up in the Never Mind the Billhooks hype-train, ordered the books/tokens/cards/etc. and then upon reading it realised I hated how complex it was. I think my days of 'difficult' rules are over with the very specific exception of Rogue Trader/Warhammer Fantasy 3rd where the nostalgia and familiarity can overcome it.

That's kind of where I'm at. The Billhooks book is AWESOME, and insanely detailed for the underrepresented wars it covers (to wit, the Italian Wars, Swiss Burgundian Wars, and personal favorite the Hussite Wars). But once that chrome wore off I realized that I just didn't want to play a complicated ruleset with custom cards and stuff... The trouble is the 1500 cutoff for most of the rulesets I want to use in 15mm. To the Strongest covers WotR, Hussite Wars, 100YW, etc., but ends before the Italian Wars and then I would have to bolt on some custom stuff from For King and Parliament. Same end date for stuff like DBA and Triumph.

Honestly the best option seems to be Impetus, since it has the usual DBA/TtS/multiera fare, but also includes the Italian Wars and some later Samurai stuff (i.e. post gunpowder sengoku jidai). Anyone have thoughts of Impetus? If it's a slam dunk I'll just go whole hog into the big multibases because it does look cool and I'm just playing with myself anyway.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 20, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I keep telling myself the same, but his renaissance version has been in development since 2015 so I've gotten a bit tired of waiting around 😄

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, that's why Henry Turner is the god-king of 6mm printed miniatures. His stuff looks really weird scaled up, but it works perfectly at 6mm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Maybe a dumb question but are there any good historical skirmish games that don't have extra cards and boards and such that need to be bought? Saga has boards and special dice, Sharp Practice has special cards, etc.

I just want to paint up some dudes and have them fight, preferably with PDF rules I can buy online. I'm looking at maybe Clash of Spears or Clash of Katanas, especially since I think they have a dark age version coming out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Lion Rampant (and it's spinoff Pikemans Lament, Rebels and Patriots, Men Who Would Be Kings and fantasy/scifi versions Dragon/Xenos Rampant) is a good place to look for doing 28mm skirmish when you just want a justification for having painted the models

That's probably the direction I'll go. Dadi & Piombo (the people who make Impetus) also have skirmish rulesets that seem to fit the bill!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gonna shill for Smol Miniatures again because I can't believe I missed their latest kickstarter. That's the guy that did the insanely broad 15mm Samurai range, and now he's back with 15mm Vikings/Saxons/Normans

For $40!!...
This is the core set, but then every stretch goat got met, so you also have almost all of the same units again for Saxons and for Normans and extra stuff like monks and peasants.

quote:

Includes:
200+ Viking Units

Mounted Units:

18 x Horses
5 x Mounted Spear Units
5 x Mounted Sword Units
5 x Mounted Spear and Shield Units
5 x Mounted Sword and Shield Units

Foot Units:

10 x Heavy Spear Units
10 x Light Spear Units
10 x Heavy Spear and Shield Units
10 x Light Spear and Shield Units
10 x Light Axe and Shield Units
5 x Heavy Axe and Shield Units
5 x Heavy Dual Wield Axe Units
9 x Heavy Sword Units
9 x Heavy Sword Shield Uniits
10 x Light Sword Units
10 x Light Sword Shield Units
5 x Light Dual Wield Sword and Axe Units
5 x Light Dual Wield Sword and Saex Units
5 x Heavy Two-Handed Axe Units
5 x Heavy Two-Handed Axe and Shield Units
5 x Light Archer Units
5 x Light Saex Units
5 x Light Saex and Shield Units
3 x Warhorn Units
4 x Standard Bearer Units
3 x Casualties
12 x Shield Maidens
4 x Berserker Units
1 x Viking Raiding Ship

Seriously, the value is insane, so go check it out while you can still late pledge via MMF - https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/viking-warfare-smol-miniatures-2344

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone is in the market for printable 28mm Napoleonics, the stuff from Piano Miniatures is insanely detailed. I'm not sure my paintjob did this NCO justice, but these models rival any Perry stuff I've seen as far as detail and quality goes. And printing at 95% matched the Perry plastic exactly.

edit-- to not doublepost, here's Davout too (Davout tout?)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Slight shift in topic from WW2, but was there any recorded skirmish action during the Fifth Coalition/Danube campaign? I have all these cool French, Austrian, and German minor models and realistically will never have enough painted for a mass battle, but when people think Napoleonic skirmish, the main thing suggested is Peninsular war.

Also there's no official 1809 Austria list for Sharp Practice which is annoying 😩

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pretty excited about that. GdA 1 got rave reviews from all the folks whose opinions I trust, and it sounds like GdA 2 tightens up a lot of the stuff that people had issues with (command level, skirmishers, etc.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Absolutely lolling at the timing of the "it's a small company! they don't want to do a second edition!" discussion in this thread and then this gets rolled out.

If you mean GdA2 it's not developed by the lardies, just printed by them. GdA is developed by Dave Brown who also did General de Brigade along with a bunch of other stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I realized that I actually really like grid based systems. I'm aware of:

To the Strongest for ancients through 1500
For King and Parliament for ECW
Square Bashing for WW1
I guess Rommel for WW2 but that seems more grand tactical than single battlefield?

Is there anything else out there?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

C&C is good. I got the AWI version Tricorne during the holidays and I liked it so much I'm in the middle of a project doing miniatures to replace the blocks. Fighting the grog urge to go all in on full hex terrain too.

Don't tell me this, I'm already desperately trying to talk myself out of doing a 28mm AWI army

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of scaling, every time I print out some models, I wish I'd printed them in a different scale.

drat grass-is-greener effect... Guess the only solution is to do era in 2/6/10/15/20/28/40/54mm

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
They're not Samurai, but I have Napoleonic French in various states of painted in 15mm, 28mm, and 40mm.

Playing Sharp Practice with 40mm minis is a dream of mine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cassa posted:

I'm pretty sure that Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe covers that period too, pike blocks are a monster to fight in it so that feels appropriate.

Yeah, NMtB Deluxe is the game that actually got me interested in the Hussite wars. I hadn't heard of them before reading the rulebook.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Excited about getting into Furioso for the Italian Wars. Especially because they have optional rules for da vinci esque tanks and guns if I feel like getting weird with it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

aside from ebay and maybe getting lucky with local stuff on fb marketplace and kijiji, wheres a good place to find whole painted armies listed for sale? ive got it in my head that i want to just skip the beginning painting/basing stage of something new and just buy someones cast offs, after springfield fatts i think listed his stuff for sale (but i didn't get :()

There's a bunch of Facebook buy/sell groups for minis - some pretty generic and some specific to certain games (e.g. Flames of War). That's probably your best bet outside of eBay.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

soviet elsa posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting into historicals, specifically with the Perry Miniatures DAK because 1. The models are pretty and 2. the regular historical players at my FLGS are three dudes mirror matching Bolt Action Brit on Brit on the 40k desert tables that easily convert if you replace the 40k buildings.

And last time I was there one of the guys had mentioned he was painting some Italians.

So yeah I don’t want to roll up with Nazis, and have people think it’s because I love Nazis. I do actually think they have the coolest-looking tanks, but mostly I want to get into historicals without being the lady who rolls up from 40k with the Nazi army. But I want to paint them as the Nazis they were. Especially because I’m a Mizrahi Jew and I loving hate people pretending Rommel was a Good Nazi and ignoring North African Jews that he did what he did to.

I guess my question is can I paint DAK and not be labelled/heiled as a Nazi-lover?

As a fellow Jew I understand where you're coming from but I would say go for it - there are for sure shitheads in the hobby who are going to paint Germans because they share an ideology, but for the most part people who play Historicals are cool about it and understand that you're not supporting a side, you're just playing out a conflict.

For me it's more of just reconciling it with myself. I'm actually painting up some Germans right now and going through similar feelings, because I have to explain to my wife and kid (well, my kid is 1, so mostly my wife) why I have Nazis on my model shelf. Maybe I'll just put them in a box along with Confederate minis and label it "idiot loser zone".

But yeah, you're touching on the number one struggle a lot of people have with historicals in general, not even just WW2. Don't even get me started on people that play out things such as 19th century colonial conflicts like British vs. Zulus. If you wanna see shithead historical takes from wargamers, that's a minefield right there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh neat, the Far East/Pacific supplement for Chain of Command is finally """about""" to go to the printers. I know it's basically been about to come out for like 3 years now but color me hopeful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I ran into it so much when I played Advanced Squad Leader. I'm not going to name him, but there's a guy who runs a pretty big ASL reseller and is known pretty well in the community, and I played in person with him a couple times because he lived near me.

His game room was entirely decked out in SS divisional flags and he had a mannequin dressed in German camo and had an MG42 hanging on the wall. And he has a tattoo of the guy from the cover of the Up Front board game (the uh, SS soldier).

But he was just proud of his German heritage and just had an interest in history, he didn't get why it was so offensive :jerkbag: gently caress that guy. He had an incredible game collection and gaming table and stuff but super wasn't worth it to be around all that.

Edit-- SS divisional emblem dice too, that made me think of it. And all of the super rare black-colored SS game pieces for ASL. And a wall of Panzer models. I could go on but gently caress that guy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Yup.

Nicest guy in the world but big yikes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just ordered the starter pack of Victrix 12mm WW2 models because it's 192 minis for $50.

Now I just have to figure out what rules I want to play! I'm maybe leaning O-Group since I think battalion scale would be most interesting to me, and open me up for better combined arms stuff once I build out my collection more. Thoughts on O-Group? Is there a similar ruleset that does it better?

Only thing is it's weird for Victrix to include M4A3s since I don't think the Brits got any leased to them? Nitpick though, since I can just run it as an M4A4 at such a small scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Battle in the Age of War by Peter Pig is pretty dang good. I haven't played it but I've read through the rules a few times and really like what I see.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If it's Smol Miniatures their stuff is GREAT at 15mm and scales okay to 28mm

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Turner's AWI campaign is live! Unlike on Kickstarter, you immediately get everything when you pledge here. And we need more pledges to unlock the Hessian stuff! (The infantry is like $13 away)

There's early bird pricing until sometime on Sunday so if you want a ton of printable models for a great price, take a look.

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/colonies-asunder-the-american-revolution-2483

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

3 Action Economist posted:

Studio Tomahawk's V for Victory is coming out in June and I cannot wait!

I love Muskets & Tomahawks, so this is a natural day one buy for me.

Oh hell yeah, that's exciting, however:

quote:

For those who don't know what V for Victory (which is pronounced "Five for Victory" if you ask) is [...]

This annoys me more than it rightfully should (I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't think he advertised it very well, but Madox Minis/War Bear Studios/whatever he goes by just launched his Napoleon's Campagne de Russie kickstarter which includes something like 280 3d-printable 28mm mini STLs plus whatever stretch goals they hit, which looks like it's going to be most of them. If you like the Russian Campaign, this is AWESOME. I'm excited. It's only $63 all in for the early bird tier, so jump on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbearstudios/napoleons-campagne-de-russie-russian-campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's valid - I'm mosrly getting it for the Russians. I already have Piano Minis' (superior) pre-1812 French, so good to know I can safely stick with those.