Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Lord Commissar posted:

Flames of War question:

FoW offers a battalion box of Udarny Strelkovy. I know those are basically a more elite infantry, but is there anything on them that would make them stand out? What I mean is, can I use them as regular ol' infantry?

Following that up, who else makes decent 15mm WWII models (specifically infantry) that I can get for less than FoW figs?

I bought this box for my Mid-War soviets and you can make a full 3 platoon company out of the rifle men in it if you go 4 to a base instead of the 5 four man bases/ 4 five man bases the books says to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

When I bought the Open Fire! Flames of War set, the armored skirts on both StuGs were broken.

They just emailed me to tell me they're sending me two new ones.

So it isn't just Games Workshop who has decent customer support.

Man, mine came the same way but i just pain painstakingly glued the skirts back together. :mad:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

I'll admit I don't know if this is the case, but it would seem to me like a turret would be armored the same way all around.

Some tanks had equal thickness armor on all sides of their turrets, some did not. Don't really have any numbers on if the majority had same thickness or the minority. But i am assuming in a effort to speed up game play they just decided to treat anything but the front of the turret as side armor.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

LintMan posted:

Here are the movement speeds in summary for tanks in FOW:

Fully tracked (In rough they reduce to 8" movement regardless of movement rules)
Normal (ie. no movement rules) = 12"
Very slow tank (Poor infantry tanks) = 6" which is infantry walking speed
Slow tank (Infantry and Heavy tanks) = 8" move
Light tank (Stuarts, Cromwells) = 16"
Fast tank (T34, Crusaders) = When moving at the double you tripe your normal move speed.

I love moving my T-34's when my opponent gets distracted, just so i can watch them stare at the table and wonder how the hell my t-34s got on the other side of the board, god they move so fast.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

How am I supposed to model a PTRD on this BA-64?

http://www.gamingfigures.com/viewProducts_test.asp?action=viewproduct&product=3823

Stick one of them in it! Or cut the arms off the one where the two dudes are carrying one. That set comes in three pieces, try to imagine how fun that is to glue together.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Also, can infantry destroy tanks with rifle fire? I mean,a rifleman has anti-tank 2, and a stug has front armour of 7 and side of 3, meaning that a rifle will penetrate a stug 1/3 of the time from the front and 100% from the side. This seems a little odd, but I guess it makes it balanced.
If this is true, then maybe I was a little rash in avoiding buying a tank company for one of the armies, I thought it would poo poo all over a rifle company in low points games because there weren't enough points to buy anti tank guns. I might change one of the armies into a tank company just to make sure that they play differently, then I can focus on artillery when I get me some soviets.

Uh, rifle men will never penetrate a Stug from any direction. When you compare antitank to armor after a armored unit is hit, the armor gets a d6. So it would be antitank 2 vrs 7-13 front armor, so even with out the d6 the riflemen have no chance to penetrate.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Do any of you guys play Flames of War in Washington State? I was wondering if there was any other places to play it then the Panzer Depot or Games Matrix.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Well I know that the Panzer Depot has regular games on Thursday night, I was just hoping for something closer to Renton. I don't have a car at the moment and have to take the bus or get a ride. I used to play at the Gameforge in Auburn, but they closed down after only being open for 2 years or so.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Got out all my Flames of War stuff out from where i stashed it and went through it all. I had forgotten like half the stuff i had bought. And still got a ton of infantry and t-34s to put together. I gotta get around to buying the new books for MW and LW Soviets and never played with the new version of Hen and Chicken, though most times I never bothered with the old version, since I used KV-85s in Guards Heavy Tank Companies to get around it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Numlock posted:

Such is the story of Soviets in FoW. Crafting lists to minimize the impact of a rule that supposedly benefits.

The good news is that your KV-85 list is now a lot better than it was, as the Guards Heavy Tankovy now have some decent support options including Recon.

Well what I usually did was run a straight infantry company with the guards heavy tank selected as a support option. The infantry would eventually dig in once I rolled high enough and become unkillable, and the tanks would help kill anything that tried to dig out the infantry. Throw some Artillery and Anti-Tank guns in and I did ok. Course i only got to play maybe 4-5 times before the store i played at closed it doors forever.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Everyone at the FoW forums thinks the blurred model is an A7V. Looks like it could be fun, and hopefully will lead to some interwar stuff like the Spanish Civil War. All in all, I'm looking forward to owning three WWI Polish armies.

Ya there were quite a few WW1 vintage tanks kicking around during the Spanish Civil War, mostly FT17 but there were a few of the more wacky designs like the CA1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_CA1#After_the_First_World_War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=8e429403c801e660fee45241df6df2a7 You can get what you need from this company, plus its all plastic so its easy to put together. Flames of War is 15mm so make sure you get things from that model range.