Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sorry Zen, but supermoto ownership is a perfect example of power corruption.

Giving someone a supermoto is like giving them a big red button labelled PRESS HERE FOR AWESOME and telling them not to press it. Except in this case its a lever marked FLICK THIS FOR AWESOME WHEELIE and another marked PULL THIS FOR WICKED STOPPIE.

I always thought I was such a responsible rider, chiding all the noisy wheelie-merchants, I was more responsible than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Convinced my flatmate that we should get one of their carbon skinning kits and cover our toilet seat...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

If I really wanted to fling some lead, I'd just head over to nevada and hang out at the all you can shoot machinegun range! :haw:

That's not a real place...

...is it?

UK Gün prevented from having military hardware funtimes by the nanny state.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Another way to do it would be to build an epicyclic hub into the rear wheel with a 1.1:1 ratio, with a 42 tooth sprocket it would be like a lever actuated 46 tooth. It would just look like you had both hub braking and disc :hydrogen::hf::what:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Your own CNC mill or at the very least a generous friend with one. It would be an awesome experiment.

I just thought about it some more, you could also use it the other way, have a 1:1.1 for off road use. Just like the overdrive and low range box for my old Series Land Rover.

drat, I wish I had AutoCAD set up on one of my machines right now...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

So after some shopping around, we decided to pick up a 2011 Ford Fiesta.

Your car was built in the future?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

...suggestions on how I should paint it?

Mottled grey with yellow accents:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Eh, Gulf livery is so done.

Dazzle would hide damage well when you drop it.

I like the idea of an aircraft shark nose motif on the front, too. Tip of the fairing painted red with the mouth on each side of the rad opening below. Would look like you put wheels on the nose section of a P41 and that is all kinds of rad.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

...Gulf colours in dazzle with 2 tone wheels is the way to go.

Yes, yes and yes.

Do this or I will hate you forever.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Wired everything up, mounted the A/F controller nice and out of the way:

How do you rate the Innovate unit? I was considering getting one to help me iron out issues with the 690 SMC.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Probably Hates You posted:

I've gone through the thread but I must've missed it. why are you tearing down the GSX-R?

I have a theory about Z3n. He is only attracted to bikes that aren't quite right, like those people who are attracted to sick people. Once they are better his interest wanes until a point where he can no longer suffer them to live.

And so he euthanises at the earliest excuse, dissects them and sells the organs so he can buy a new 'project', and the process repeats.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I want to eat Panda. All that sitting around must make them mightily tender.

Let's face it, they're a lost cause anyway. Rather than waste all of the resources we do trying to pull them out of their evolutionary cul-de-sac we might as well find out what they taste like before they're gone.

Who knows, maybe they'll become a delicacy and then commercial interest will take off and greed will drive a big advance in research and find a way to save them as a food source?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The final solution to the Panda question: Dinner.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MotoMind posted:

I can't decide whether my next cosmetic upgrade for my KLR is going to be a METAL BUTTON which is a black button covered by an interlock that switches on handlebar speakers that are connected to an always-on MP3 player with a playlist of BLACK METAL. Pressing the black button presses play on the MP3 player, which shuffles in a random track of punishing grimness...or just rig up the godfather horn.

The button should be covered in painful spikes, to make the act of pressing it more brutal.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

My friendly neighbourhood bike shop has just been rebuilding a grenaded 690SM. The bearing that carries the right side of the cam (i.e. the one that's not carrying the cam sprocket) spun and blew shrapnel everywhere. Complete engine strip down and rebuild, although they advised the customer to just buy a new motor. Watch out for that bearing...

That's the first I've heard of problems with that bearing, far more common is the rollers on the valve rockers chattering and scoring. I have one that was on it's way out on my desk right now.

z3n: did you find any scoring or radial marking on the rollers or cam lobes?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Xovaan posted:

Actually butter is allegedly good for you. That's why Norway had a shortage of it most recently. :eng101:

Most naturally derived, fully saturated, un-hosed-with fats are. They're actually essential for normal glandular functions and general health. But selling low-fat partially hydrogenated (hosed with) vegetable oil emulsified with water using something akin to dish washing fluid is really, really profitable. So guess what the Government reccomends...

But I digress: I like motorcycles, anyone else like motorcycles?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Xovaan posted:

Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?

Living in a Marina I became a connoisseur of grinder sounds over the summer.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
"Ah, an austetnic stainless, A4 if I'm not mistaken"

BzzzzzzzzzzEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
"Hmm, a cheeky little high carbon number? Sir is really pulling out the stops!"

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Also I'm guessing it's real popular for doing in-place repairs on stuff like pipelines.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Why choose between the two?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Nah, CR500 motor is what you want, the rebuilds won't be any less frequent but at least being a 2T they'll be simpler.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I might be hitting the states next October as part of a larger round-the-world trip. I'm probably going to hit the west coast first (I'll be coming in from Hong Kong, maybe NZ). Would you be up for sourcing me a decent mid weight bike and helping me service/prep it for a bit of touring?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think you should get someone who is really good at chalk signage, ie anyone you know who's worked as a barista at a hipster/indie coffee shop.

You should pay that person to replicate a cool racing livery like JPS in chalk, then use a matte clear coat over it.

Or just do a different livery every time.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Yeah thats pretty much going to be the paint job. Crowdsourced penises.

Knobism is one of the truly under appreciated (although possibly over-subscribed) art movements.

quote:

Classic piece of traditionalist Knobism combining the holy trinity of Knobism.

1. The textbook helmet.
2. The "sea mine" testicles
3. The arcing spray of love juice

EDIT: not to mention ancient:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 20, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I want a headlight setup like this:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

So I'm doing some research on RS125 / 450 4 stroke swaps.

Why the gently caress are all of these swaps filled with dumb things like this:

And poo poo like this:

Just like...seriously? You can't do the job without hacking giant bits out of the frame?

We'll just grind off these welds, cut holes in the frame, cut holes in the crossbars...

Here at Dunning-Kruger Motorsports we cater for any project, regardless of how impractical!

Z3n posted:

They made one back in the day as a prototype. If you want an electric sumo, buy a BRD Redshift.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the KTM Freeride E and throw some cheap sumo wheels on it :getin:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bunway Airlines posted:

if I don't like the 690

If you don't like the 690 you're doing motorcycles wrong :colbert:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah pretty much that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thanks to my Breton genetics I have short hobbit legs and I still manage on the stock SMC. Takes some butt-shuffling at stops but I don't have any major difficulty dealing. Chunky boots help a fair bit, but I can get by even without them.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think you should use the SV650 motor as a prototype, until you find a KTM 990.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Theres an Aprilia RS125 on the local classifieds, If I had endless money I'd be ordering a KTM Freeride E and fitting the motor/battery unit in it. Ship straight to IOM TTXGP.

EDIT: Whoa, the UK dealer for Zero motorcycles is on our sister island Jersey. I never knew. So getting a demo ride next time I'm over.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 21, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You should start doing your own custom bike show, and instead of raking out stupid choppers or ruining classic UJMs to make cafe racers you should just take 90s light sportbikes with hosed motors and fit ridiculous modern motors into them.

KR1-S with a 690 LC4, kthx.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
1st gen Hayabusa with a 300hp Evinrude 300xp V8 2-Stroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmnsXTMLzCE

Bonus points if you can still get the fairings on.

I'm happy to be the British voice over guy, lets do this poo poo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Because you're too free.

You guys just seem to hate the 'gubmint poking their nose in and taking away peoples freedom to 12 o'clock a brand new Hayabusa into a minivan full of kids. If you had the (entirely sensible) license tiers enjoyed in sane countries there would be a reason to import fun, fast, small displacement bikes and you would have a more diverse bike market.

Though many Americans don't seem a fan of diversity, either.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
CF is also good for things like plate holders where it is going to get a lot of vibration, where a metal part may break due to fatigue.

For those in the UK, carbonmods does some great starter kits for having a go with CF without any real outlay:
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk

For those not in the UK, they still have some good free guides on getting started and replicating parts.
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/Guides/Carbon-Fibre-Lamination.aspx?sortorder=1&page=1

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Cutting the fabric during layup, not really.

Cutting the laminate and edge finishing, yes, absolutely. The dust is super bad for your lungs like most composites.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Just a quick bump to keep this out of archives. If I feel up to it, I might do the KTM valves tomorrow, might do it next weekend. One exhaust valve is one size too tight.

Helped a buddy do his FZ1 valves today, did some work on the housemate's SV650, getting some odds and ends sorted out - maybe some fiberglass stuff tomorrow. Did the 999 clutch, which led to this pretty hilarious picture:

THANKS FOR FRYING THE CLUTCH ZOOL

Quickshifter for the 999 shows up on Monday.

Huh, only one friction pla-aaaargh :stonk:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I think you're a long way into the effects of diminishing returns upgrading the stock suspension.

Just do some fun visual mods like those mental orange-white bicolour wheels on the prototype.

For funtime loudypops exhausts I'd look no further than SC-Project in Italy : http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_1290_super_duke_e.htm

Not super expensive and the build quality and finish is fantastic, and doesn't seem cheap against the other nice components on a --90 series KTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcv_6cmahY4

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 19, 2015

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My '08 690 is only now starting to consume more oil at nearly 30k / 6.5 years of commuting daily.
I had a cam chain tensioner collapse in the first year, it seems this is common if you only use it for short journeys all the time (~5mi), now have a manual tensioner from Rally Raid.
Replaced a leaky injector, but that's a generic Keihin part, not a KTM issue.
Replaced a valve rocker because it started to get scoring on the roller, seems this was a QC issue for the 1st gen and the replacement has been fine.
Stator burned at about 20k, probably the most serious and expensive issue but an easy job at least.
Took the opportunity to replace the clutch pack at the same time but it probably would have gone 5k more.
Blown three fork seals now but the bike lives outside and I ride all weather all year so eh.

While I've rotated the valve shims a couple of times to even up the gap, the first time it has ever been out of spec was last month at 30k, which is frankly astounding. The wiring loom is now basically a series of thin PVC tubes for containing green dust, and since last week my clock/speedo has lost power, so fuel, neutral, revs and speed are guesswork. But it's not a KTM thing, I lived on my boat for 4 years and parked at the marina.

Z3n posted:

I also considered the SC project exhaust, the thing that kills me is any local supplier wants loving $650 for it, whereas with the current weak value of the Euro, at 390 - 20% VAT with the strong rate of the dollar it'd only be like 380 bucks. I can get the Mivv for like, 430 bucks or so, which is just out of the realm of impulse purchase for me right now.

I'm happy to look into shipping you one from 'yurop if you wanna go that route, might be able to knock Italian VAT off it too as I'm outside the EU. Just be warned when I got my SC it took like two months and I had no communication, seems like all Italian companies are like this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I might take you up on this - honestly, I'll probably buy the Mivv one eventually, as it's blacked out, and I can chop it down even shorter if I want, because a post-cat can is basically a cosmetic item.

NP, just drop me a gmail - username limeyrock.

If I do it through my company I might be able to get a trade price, too.

• Locked thread