Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why wouldn't he just buy a loving Sportster if that's what he wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

I found this abomination on Reddit and it won’t leave my brain so now you have to see it, too:

That just sounds like a Savage with extra steps

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That guy posted about building a chopper in the "what bike should I buy" thread, and someone reflexively replied "dr650" without reading. Now look where we are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What a monstrous act goddamn

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

as someone who pretty universally loves Suzukis and DR650’s, I hate that Suzuki DR650

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Looks just like any other cruiser out there, what's the problem?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

When I was a kid I got given a photo book of all the world's premier dirt bikes, published before I was born, and the only two names I remember are combat wombat and ossa plonker
The Combat Wombat is a Hodaka, they have a few great names. The Combat Wombat, the Road Toad, and the Dirt Squirt are my favorites.

If you're in the PNW and want to see a bunch of old dudes ride/display a bunch of lovingly restored old dirt bikes, there's a (usually) annual event in Athena, Oregon called Hodaka Days.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-KTM-790+Adventure-5019831806

Please tell me this is a terrible idea? I took a look at it last week (the battery was dead and tires dangerously low so no test ride or start up). The mech at the shop said that they've got a new battery coming in this weekend and new tires are going to be mounted on it.

Story on the bike is that a guy rode the TaT on it to get to his new home and then sold it to get a car.

I live just down the street so I'll be able to poke around on it as much as I need to before buying.

Also, based on the miles it needs it's first valve clearance check in the next couple thousand miles which seems to be around 500 at an actual dealer (dunno if this is really doable at home on a KTM)

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

holy moly. I rented one of those and rode the CO BDR with it. I did some unholy things to that bike. honestly it performed admirably in every task including sending it on paved mountain twisties.

Even took it to Moab and rode it on some single track which is extremely ill advised but made it through anyway.

after 7 days nonstop. me and that bike had shared some moments.

I will tell you that the engine compartment is cursed and even basic stuff like an oil change is a all day affair. its KTM though so you should know that already.

also the gear box is kinda poo poo and requires some force and thats saying something since my regular ride is a drz400

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I have been on the lookout for one after that trip.

but at the same time. my entire stable of bikes is ten year old suzkis and its kinda a breeze working on them. I could tell right away that anything that breaks on that KTM would be expensive and a pain in the rear end.

so if you’re cool with spending money at your local moto mechanic or are a weirdly good backyard mechanic. be prepared for some fun times and a lot of cursing with that particular machine.

still would tho

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Seems suspiciously cheap.

Normie models iirc tend to cook the shock.
tft display water ingress issues is still a thing
If it doesn't sound like a bag of broken glass and hammers, run it. Acquaintance of mine has(d?) one with 6k miles and it sounds worse than my 75k mile 20 year old ktm.
The air compressor is kinda hilarious and dumb.

I've done minor things on one and they're kind of miserable to work on.
175-230 min is the book time for the 18,600mi service.

(the 950 has a 320min book interval for the same service, it's spot on if not a little low)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
You can find most the user insights here:
https://790adventure.net/
The price is reasonable considering the mileage, it’s an S model, and the 890 and now 990 models drop prices on the lower number bike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Marketplace seller posted:

One unknown technical issue (does not impact performance) is the tach… I’m yet to figure out the problem, but the miles roll quicker than the distance. Says 18k miles but it’s definitely less. I bought it with 4K miles and maybe put another 4K.

:dumbgun:

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
God bless you for sharing that, turning my head like a puppy to read the mileage and all.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Bad news folks:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Ducati-STREETFIGHTER+1098S-5029200838

I don't see why you would spend the money to repaint rather than lower the price.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

T Zero posted:

Bad news folks:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Ducati-STREETFIGHTER+1098S-5029200838

I don't see why you would spend the money to repaint rather than lower the price.

that's a rattle can job (acrylic, even) he's out maybe $50 up front and whatever labor he invested in prep (guessing not much)

probably gonna cost him more on his sale price than leaving the paint alone would have, though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point, that’s like a $3k bike. It may have the worst fully documented history of PO’s of any bike out there

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd buy it

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Some dude selling wierd old hondas.
2x nx 125 and 1x nx250

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/d/seneca-honda-nx125-and-nx250-collection/7702867600.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those are awesome. Sort of wish I had 10K just burning a hole in my pocket

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anything on this mod list sound really bad? Maybe the levers are trash? Bars are tusk.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
I don’t get why people get the SM version of a dual sport and then try to make it into a crappier version of its original format, but other than that it looks ok enough. The skidplate looks like it might be ebay, but it could be fine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah beats me, rosso 4s would be in order.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Anything on that list could be bad if it’s low quality and/or poorly installed, which seeing the ADV tires tells me, yes, that absolutely is the case.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Adding the brand name for only the luggage tells me the rest of the mods are probably ebay garbage

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bizwank posted:

Adding the brand name for only the luggage tells me the rest of the mods are probably ebay garbage

All the mods look to be Tusk, which is the house brand for Rockymountain ATV MC, so they're probably just ok, but not total garbage based on what I see about them on the goog.

But honestly may be a little too pricey compared to just trading in my MT03 to the dealer and buying new.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That guy bought the most expensive, lowest KLX300 variant only to raise it up, put cheaper tires on it, and turn it into the second most expensive variant.
Based on that alone, that person is a moron and shouldn't be trusted with that bike.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

What's the matter babe, you've barely ridden your Horsely

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/phoenix-harley-custom-2003-rk/7733638483.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beef jerky-rear end bike

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm the pommel, every time you brake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm disappointed that they just painted on the mane and tail instead of actually gluing on a bundle of horsehair.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The matching custom horse trailer is a cute touch.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Do people actually believe this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's mind-blowing how many road bikes are on FB Marketplace without a title, like it's no loving big deal at all.
How tf do people lose a title?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's mind-blowing how many road bikes are on FB Marketplace without a title, like it's no loving big deal at all.

And furthermore, if you did, why wouldn't you just fill out whatever form and pay whatever idiot tax your DMV makes you pay to issue you a new title?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: nm

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

They don't lose it, they either don't have one because it's stolen or more commonly they have a lien on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl posted:

They don't lose it, they either don't have one because it's stolen or more commonly they have a lien on it.

Ok so who are the utter morons buying these bikes?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ok so who are the utter morons buying these bikes?

Gullible fools who don't know any better, or people who know exactly what they are buying and were planning on running fake plates anyway.

e: I will add that lost title is quite possible with old poo poo that's been rotting in a field since the 70s, but ain't nobody "losing" a title for a late model bike and not going through the trivial effort to get a replacement.

opengl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

People are out of their minds with the title poo poo. It's so common that if they don't specify in the post I just automatically assume it's a lien at best.

How can we make Craigslist the go to for buying/selling motorcycles again? I have recently decided I need another bike which is why I'm trawling Craigslist regularly again and stumbling across these gems, and have been angrily resolved that if I want to find anything in the next year I probably need to use Offerup/FB marketplace. Craigslist's 2000's era interface remains still unbeatable for actual ease of use and lack of rage induction.