Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I floated the idea of buying a bike to keep at my friend's place in Calgary so I have something to ride when I visit instead of renting. He's all for it, as long as it's cool and he can ride it. Of course, I wouldn't want it sitting rotting! Anyway I was kinda serious, kinda not, but then I saw this...

Tempting but I doubt I can get my poo poo together quickly enough to take advantage... Still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorson posted:

Yep that's a Canadian Hawk we never got that color scheme. $3700 cn is around $3k US, which would not be a great deal for that bike here but I don't know your market. Other than the unfortunate weld job on that 2>1 it looks to be a completely bone stock Hawk, which can be a good or bad thing.

is the exchange rate that good right now? To be honest, I haven't been paying attention to it. My rule of thumb is 150% so 3k USD is 4500 CAD. I don't know about the Calgary market specifically, but $3000-3500 seems fair for a good+ condition Hawk, just because of its sort of cult status. Bike prices are weird up here and Covid hasn't helped. Prices are all over the place.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wonder how often those kind of big ticket sales actually happen, I'd imagine people with the cash would just drop it at a dealer, otherwise it's getting financed. I've seen essentially new Ducatis and BMWs going up on Craigslist for really decent bluebook prices, but that means still in the 15k-20k range, and they don't seem to move.

I had a neighbor who got older and no longer able to ride his Harley which was in pretty pristine condition, he listed it a few places for a couple months then ended up just selling it to a dealer, this was pre-covid bike madness though.

There's definitely a relative value of money decision that comes in to play at some threshold. I'd be far more likely to pay $5k used for a bike that sells for $8k new at a dealer and take my chances, compared to paying $22k for a bike that sells new for $25k. I'd just pay the extra $3k and buy new in that case, even though it's the exact same amount of money.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ahaha
Hahahahahaha
AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All the money, none of the respect of their peers. $6k instant solution to prove to everyone how fly you are. I guess that's who's buying this? (nobody is buying this).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess it's just like every overpriced, cut up, caféd cb750 from a few years back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Pardon my ignorance but: what is this, and what purpose is there in having a gauge that cannot be read while actually on the bike?

I would be tickled if it was some cockamamie float based oil quantity gauge.
But it's probably just a meat thermometer jbwelded into the sump.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oil Boom Bad Financial Decisions: The Kijiji Ad

Bike is a 2018 MT-09

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Rofl

There's only a price crash every six years, what could go wrong with a 7 year 19% loan

I kinda feel bad for the poor guy, getting taken advantage of like that. Still loving funny though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mirconium posted:

Welp

CBR300R got stolen. So long old friend, I loved you dearly.

Which brings us to a philosophical question:

What does anyone even make anymore that is like a Sachs Madass? Googling this question seems impossible because you are instantly buried under a mountain of people who don't know what words like "scooter" "moped" and "4 stroke" mean.

Edit: ideally available in the US

Honestly, probably and e-mountain bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The pricing and general feel of e-bikes and high end mtb's comes across as basically conning wealthy people into buying something that looks like a motorcycle and costs like a motorcycle but is in fact a bicycle that costs nothing near a motorcycle to produce. There seems to be no middle market also, it's all either terrible steel shitters from china for $200 or $5k plus for a loving bicycle.

I heard a thing about those peloton exercise bike things. They cost around $500 to build, and they were initially selling them for a grand. They nearly went broke because nobody bought them. Then they took the exact same bike and charged 4 grand for it, or whatever they cost now, and they sell every one they make faster than they can make them.
That aside, there's a really important reason e-bikes of any sort are more expensive than they should be. Food delivery. Doordash, Uber eats, deliveroo, all those people are happy to drop 3-4 grand on an e-bike that requires no license, insurance, or gas. You don't need parking, you can charge it inside your apartment. There is no way a used motorbike can compete with that. They could charge double and still sell them, because the overhead is so much less than the alternative.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Looked like the guy on the right probably locked up in the sandy turn and fell over, but strange for the Grom to lowside going fairly slowly uphill like that. Are the brakes that strong on a grom? Or is the tiny tire diameter exacerbating the issue.

The guy coming from the right was cutting the turn and poo poo his pants when he saw the other bike and Layed'er Dan. The GoPro dude saw the other guy fall down and poo poo his pants and Layed'er Dan in sympathy. The Grom is a stoppie machine, but you kind of have to know how to do stoppie. Or brake without falling over.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They're selling an actual doctor big at Blackfoot in Calgary if anyone's interested.
https://www.blackfootonline.com/pre-owned_productdetail.php?id=8603

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Is it just me or are both of the wheels completely out of round? The front tire looks like it has two huge flat spots on it

There's something really fucky going on with that while front end. The wheel looks dented to poo poo, but also like it was warped with a Photoshop smudge tool, and the forks look curved too. Might be light and shadow weirdness, might actually be bent.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yummycheese posted:

i have unfortunate first hand knowledge of whats going on in that pic.

bro put his new iphone in a phone holder on the handlebars and destroyed the image stabilizer with vibrations but keeps using the phone cause they’re a broke mf

Gee, I wonder what caused him to be a broke mf?
Oh hold up, I know the answer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is not a bike I would ever be interested in owning, but it sounds and looks pretty loving sweet and clearly a lot of care and work went into making it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/vancouver/rd-400-daytona-special/1601002645

Bored 2nd wiseco pro pistons
Yamaha HP rods
DG high compression heads
Ported
77 heat treated
Trued welded
Lightened crank
Every seal and bearing replaced including the centre Labyrinth seal
All new HP clutches
HP springs
Intakes opened up to accept larger RZ reed cages
Boysen 2 stage reeds with 10mm spacers
RZ intakes
Micron HP chamber’s from the UK
Engine completely painted, polished and clear coated
Ignition system upgraded from points to condenser
RD Dreams digital processor CDI
Complete RD DREAMS KIT
New wiring harness, coils and charging system
Frame and wheels glass beaded and powder coated
Complete RZ 350 front end conversion with Micron fork brace
Front forks completely reconditioned with new seals, bushings, springs
Brake clippers rebuilt
Braided stainless steel brake lines
Front end installed with ALL BALLS RACING tapered steel roller bearings
Water cooled speedo, and tach assembly with heat gauge
RZ 350 rear wheel with new bearings, seals, brake pads, callipers rebuilt with all new seals
Custom RD 359 LC11 UK edition rear swingers with brand new needle bearings
Foot peg, rear brake and shifter lever relocated using RAASK rear set from Sweden

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/vancouver-downtown-west-end/aprilia-tuono-1000r/1603035511
So this guy has been relisting his Tuono all winter. Dropped the price some too, and $5500 is very tempting.
Kinda ticks all the boxes. No ABS, but I've never had a bike with ABS, so...
Someone validate my potential poor life choices.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fffffff
1987 Honda CBR400RR Nc23
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/mcy/d/tsawwassen-1987-honda-cbr400rr-nc23/7432349335.html

I wouldn't fit. I might fit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I once repaired my motorcycle in the street, and after I put it all back together and went outside to pick up some milk and bread the next morning, it was no longer in the street, as it had been taken away in someone's van. I like to think the thieves were watching like a seagull on a lamp post just waiting for me to finish before swooping in to rob it. Lesson learned, don't fix your bike in the street because scrotes will nick it. Ok maybe that's not the appropriate lesson, but what can I say.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In every sense of what word now?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you can read this, a dragon flew off with the bitch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:confused: it says its in Richmond, VA though? Not California. Registered in Connecticut, lives in Richmond. Unless I missed something?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"it's a survivor"
"needs to be trailered out."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I would like to take this moment to applaud Suzuki for not attempting to integrate an extended style swingarm into the new Hayabusa design language. I'll bet there were some concept sketches.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They're very conscious of what the aftermarket is doing; with the latest revision they improved the lubrication system, gearbox etc to account for people expecting 500+ reliable horsepower with a turbo. It's likely they've improved the relevant frame areas on the bike to account for people bolting on huge swingarms. I think at one point if they had sold an off-road only genuine Suzuki extended swingarm they could've made mega bucks, but they're now so ubiquitous in the aftermarket there'd be no point.

Oh, there's no doubt they're aware. But it would have been easy to say "this is what the cool kids are doing to our product, if we make it look like that, think of the sales!". Happens all the time with cars. I think that to say no to that urge, build a normal bike with maybe a tacit nod that says "we know what you're going to do with this bike once you get your filthy hands on it", with the understanding that that's what drives the interest, the cult culture, and the ultimately the sales, is a wiser approach.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/509-allied-mono-suit-2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm seriously considering getting one of those 509 suits for this winter since I need some wet weather pants, and I could use it for snowboarding too. But I might just wear a pair of my snowboarding overpants over my Kevlar jeans to save money. It worked really well in torrential rain earlier in the year, just need something to keep the hems from flapping around too much.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Same. Even with some bright mf orange gear it's still pretty tame.
One of my helmets is loud as all gently caress, it'd be nice to find matching gear.

The only genre I know of that does loud and gaudy is MX gear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the forehead tattoo is supposed to say "damaged," not "damage." ffs

It actually reads "domage", as in French for "too bad"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've only ever sat on an SXV, but the impression from just that was one of pure evil. I'm not suggesting the bike itself is evil, but it certainly exudes an aura of corruption. It will make you do bad things. It will make you want to do bad things.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

We need a "you meet the ____ people on a ____" for other brands.

You meet the cheapest people on a Suzuki!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You meet the most modularly helmeted people on a BMW

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T Zero posted:

Behold the CBR1000RR-R

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/supersport/cbr1000rr-r-fireblade-sp

How are you even supposed to say it out loud? Onomatopoeia?

Cee-bee-all-the-arrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's mind-blowing how many road bikes are on FB Marketplace without a title, like it's no loving big deal at all.
How tf do people lose a title?

And furthermore, if you did, why wouldn't you just fill out whatever form and pay whatever idiot tax your DMV makes you pay to issue you a new title?