Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm hoping this thread will disprove my fears that the Tampa/St. Pete market is absolutely poo poo for any smaller sport bikes.

:whatup: Let me know if you come across any decent deals on dual-sports. Looking for a pre-08 KLR-650 on the cheap side, open to alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I've always felt that Yamaha XT600s are undervalued in the 80s dual-sport lineup. They're smaller and lighter than either a DR650 or a KLR650, and are reliable as a hammer. The kick-start probably scares away some buyers, but a properly adjusted automatic decompression mechanism and clean carburetor make them eager starters. There's nothing quite like bringing a bike to life with your leg.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3623424010.html

Being an idiot I broke the kickstarter lever on my XLR the second day I had it, and rode it around the first month bump-start-only.

I was really careful not to stall at any lights, and usually tried to hold out for a gas station at the top of a hill.

Getting a new lever installed and being able to kickstart the bike now feels like an unimaginable luxury :v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shimrod posted:

That is the ugliest bike I've seen in quite a long time.

Still looks better than a Hyperstrada.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

I am so sad that basically zero of those ever made it to the Us :(

There was one for sale on ADVrider in I want to say Colorado maybe last week? Not sure if it's still up. Not gonna lie, I seriously thought about spending another couple hundred on getting my unrestricted license here in Japan, then another ~$3k on an AT, even though I'd only have a year or so to ride it.

I guess the earliest ones will be legal to import to the US pretty soon though!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hella :japan:. Seriously, that wouldn't draw a second glance over here... the best are the ones with really loud sound systems you can hear Doppler'ing by playing all manner of terrible Japanese music.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But nobody shared the ugliest part yet, the touring model fairing:

It looks like half a spider's face that got beaten senseless with a 90's ugly stick.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

On phone, can't screenshot, sorry.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4509042695.html

I think it was posted months ago at $1000+ (idiot)

I'm guessing he'd get more out of it if he just parted it out, aren't the scrambler exhausts worth a bit?

quote:

1970 Honda with title - $600 (medway)

quote:

...it has decent tires on it, I am guessing they are original,

:stonk:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Those are good colors

Yeah, that's before the 90's decals kicked in.

One of the other pros of the earlier (pre-96) ones is the ability to install a kickstarter, if you're so inclined (I think you can do it on the later ones if you swap the clutch basket or something).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider. From what I can tell the price is OK, and I've always had a soft spot for them. Learned my lesson on rare unicorn bikes with the Baja back in Japan, but I checked and apparently aside from the fairings you can still easily get parts for them. (CDI unit is a known weak point…) Plus, I checked with the seller and she rolled off the assembly line in November of '88, so if I wanted to, it'd be eligible for import to Australia when I move in Feb under the pre-89 exemption. I suspect it's not worth it (probably worth the same as in the US), but a neat option to have nonetheless.

Potential wrinkle (aside from the fly and ride, which would be fine, I've got friends/family in ATL I can stay with on the way down and all my gear has made it back from Japan now) is insurance; I've only got crappy catastrophic medical stuff, and if the bike policy won't pay out in the event of a single bike accident then I'd effectively be priced out of riding. I have mixed feelings as to whether it's worth it at all to ride in Florida, so I think I'll be OK with it either way. Gonna give Progressive a shout tomorrow afternoon when I get back from errands (getting bike endorsement put on my FL license, for one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I've only been looking at local DRZ's for a couple weeks, but this looks like a pretty solid deal if all the additional stuff they list comes at the asking price.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4689013548.html

Related, I came across this the other day, but I have no idea what an "S" is worth, can really only find the more expensive SM's for sale (or on completed eBay auctions).