Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think all those “quarter liter bikes” are fairly rare in US. That Honda NSR250R posted farther up the page sold for 19k. Granted that’s a slightly different style of bike but would it sell for that much over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Where can you find CBR250RR/MC22 for sale? I check out cycletrader or eBay sometimes but it's a poo poo show. The times I have seen them they are usually around 8k. I do agree that 12k is too expensive. I was surprised by the NSR250R price, especially since it has no title, but I also had no idea what to expect either.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It seems way to bulky to ever pull off a cafe racer aesthetic to me. I think this looks good:

But having a contemporaneous bike probably goes a long way in that regard.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 22, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Do any goons own the new Aprila RS 660? It's really peaked my interest since I read about it it-- IMU/cornering ABS, TCS, engine brake control, etc-- and not in a liter bike with 150+ hp that I don't need or particularly want.

Also, it comes in some very good colors.

Any reason I shouldn't sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2021 model RS 660? I'll have to go test ride one when I get a chance-- the only downside there is that the Aprilia dealership is on the side of a really lovely interstate that I have no desire getting near on a motorcycle.

I rode one for about 20 minutes. You can find my not necessarily insightful thoughts here.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

E bike prices are absurd but those high end mountain bikes probably have significantly nicer suspension than a Grom or Madass.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't know (CBR600RR still has it, but that bike hasn't been updated in a long time afaik), but I have another question: what is the purpose of these cozys around the brake reservoir? Something absorbent in the event it boils over/leaks?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They started out as a thing for racers so they didn’t get distracted by the brake fluid sloshing around out of the corner of their eye.

Then it got cargo culted into street riding

That’s my understanding of it

That makes more sense. Yeah they are definitely on race bikes so I figured there must be a valid point to it but wasn't sure what!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do the needful and buy that. I think they easily sell for double?

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-nsr250-mc21-rothmans-sp-original-available-now

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'm going to be over there on Thursday. I4 and gear driven cams are both good in my book. What would I want to look for in a cold start and/or visual inspector for signs of trouble? I am not particularly mechanical.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went and had a looksy at this today. Charging system works, no rust in the tank. Front brake pads look a little low but still fine for some miles. Chain was in good condition and tires were pretty much new (but older mfg date 37/17 iirc).

I took it on a little ride. It was in the suburbs so I just ripped up and down the boulevard a few times. The suspension is absurdly soft -- too soft honestly. I bottomed the fork out with moderate braking from like 40-50mph. The front brake felt pretty soft as well. It revved smoothly all the way to the redline and the transmission shifted smoothly, although now I writing this I don't think I actually shifted up past 4th.

However!! Someone dumped the bike at some point and in their attempt to fix it seem to have made it much worse.

Nothing appeared to be leaking before and after the ride, but that grime is a combo of oil and dirt afaik. I ask the current owner and said that's how she got the bike. She (and her SO) were pretty forthright about everything so I don't see any reason not to believe them, but I wonder how much of a ticking timebomb this might be.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Isn't the Grom market just stupid in general?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/alexandria-honda-nsf250/7434775710.html

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This is what I would call wildly optimistic.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/san-rafael-72-triumph-bonnevile-5000-obo/7460758612.html

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m amazed any tires would last 12k miles. Are they down to the plies? That said, isn’t the 919 a good bike?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

These are one of the only Honda bikes I would call genuinely bad.

But can they be made worse, you ask?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Wheelie bar working overtime on that thing, my god.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They lowered to tame that unbelievable torque.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I think that bike is worth over 40k at this point.

Edit: a good one. A bad one is still probably north of 10k? Pulling that number out of nowhere.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BYO!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah a WR250R comes with dirt wheels already? Does he mean it includes a set of 17s?

That seems like a good price to me if there’s morning wrong with it. Even if you have to get new wheels that’s like $700? I think pokie sold his WR250X for like 6k ~2 years ago.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's more ridiculous because the "limited edition" is literally just a paint job. There's nothing different about it from the standard RS660. You could get the upcoming Trofeo, pay someone to paint it in stars and stripes (gross) and still have money left over to buy a standard RS660 and your backup bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Anything on that list could be bad if it’s low quality and/or poorly installed, which seeing the ADV tires tells me, yes, that absolutely is the case.