Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After putting money into my 401(k) and IRA and keeping some liquid in my checking account, I've been putting leftover cash in a Capital One savings account at 1%. I don't really have a goal for it (dipped into it for the first time in like 7 years to pay off a new car) and have built up quite a bit over the years. Is there any reason I shouldn't move that over to a Money Market account for the additional APR (Capital One currently offers 2%)? I feel like it will just sit there until I decide I want to put down roots and buy a house or if I have an emergency (like suddenly needing a new car). I just to be able to access it on relatively short notice and not think about it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do that when savings accounts are offering 2.x?

Rolo posted:

My Ally savings gives me 2.25 and transfers back to checking account are available the next business day.

Huh, wow. Last time I looked at Ally, they were mostly in line with Capital One.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How much of money are you talking about? A few thousand in savings is, what, $10 over 18 months?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blinky2099 posted:

Not to derail, but do you mind linking any resources on this? I'd like to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

Tldr, you don't own the land, can get kicked off of it easily, and the trailers aren't exactly "mobile" enough to just pick up stakes and move.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I could be wrong, but won't any new purchases on the card (at potentially lower rates) automatically get paid for first, also making you pay the higher interest portion for longer? I vaguely remember that being the care 10-15 years ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Katt posted:

the $156 candy is mostly stuff like "mate comes over and we buy some sodas, chips, 2 pizzas and spend an evening playing videogames"

That's easily $50 in an evening.

Hadlock posted:

I'm guessing candy is code for weed or similar

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'm brainstorming on possible investments other than straight CD or HYS. Any suggestions?

Invest in retro video games.
https://kotaku.com/deep-pocketed-collectors-are-fueling-a-retro-game-gold-1837073847

Don't do this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Transferring my 401(k) to an IRA over a weekend resulted in a nerve-wracking three days between the money leaving one account and arriving in the other.

Almost as bad as when I checked my 401(k) and had a balance of $0 because my old employer never gave me notice that they changed plans and moved my money into a new account for me. (hence moving it into an IRA)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Try searching the account number.

I had a weird one that turned out to be my IRA getting reported weird.

Or it's fraud.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for the heads up. I've been getting back less each month, but I also started moving money into CDs, so my balance has been lower. I haven't checked to see if the rates have changed, but now I will.

I like having all my accounts in one place, so I gotta decide if I should switch to the new account type or do the year long process of letting all the CDs mature and moving everything to somewhere else. (I think I know my answer :effort:)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mine (Capital One) takes a few days to transfer money, so I keep an emergency fun at the local bank. I've taken money out of the Capital One account like one time since I set it up, so it's not really a daily issue, but something I'm aware of.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm sorry you have to go through that.

My parents set up an LLC for their assets and a power of attorney over their medical needs (I am secondary for both of them after each other, if that makes sense). My sis and I will get assets should they pass, but maybe I should look into getting some access to their accounts. My dad does the finances, but is losing it a bit. My mom is double checking his work, but this isn't something she's cared about before and its hard for her to learn now in her late 60's. Most of the time is her calling me and asking if I can do it, which I could if she gave me her passwords, but I have fundamental reservations over having unrestricted access to peoples' accounts. For now I deal with visiting them (which I am limiting these days for obvious reasons), logging into their PC with Chrome Remote Desktop (so they can see what I am doing), or, usually, letting my sis deal with it (which she doesn't really have the time for).

It'd be a lot simpler if they didn't have a credit card for basically every store that offers one (:wtc:). But at least they only have two bank accounts (:psyduck:).

EDIT: Bad snipe, sorry.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Isn't what they want a trust? (Serious question.)

Yes, sorry. Wrong term. I vaguely remember it being named something like "name name LLC", but I could be wrong. It is a trust.

DarkHorse posted:

My parents set up a trust, thankfully they're both fully with it and should have plenty of time more.

Honestly, I think it's a little overkill for them, but my godfather had a lot of trouble when his parents passed, so it got my parents to do it. His parents owned an apartment building and had tenets, though. My folks have one house, one car, and some money in the bank.

We did it kinda last minute about four years ago right before my dad went under the knife for open heart surgery. At his age, it was really touchy if he'd make it. But it was a fast and painless process. And, like I said, not that complicated. My sis and I split everything except her kids get an extra $1k each or something.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 29, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Roumba posted:

I have all my non-401(k) retirement funds and savings stuff with Fidelity and my direct deposit checking and credit cards with Wells Fargo. I'm thinking about moving my checking and credit card stuff to Fidelity so that I can have more of my finances in one place. I've never moved banks before, is there anything I should know about or consider first?

I personally would leave a little bit of money in the old account for a few months in case there is something that you forget to update that is auto-billing that account.

The only thing I would "worry" about (and someone more knowledgeable than me can correct me) is closing the oldest credit card and the affect that may have on your credit score. I see on my credit score report that having an old account is beneficial, which is one of the reasons I keep the credit card I got in high school around (I only use it for Netflix and pay it off ASAP) (I also keep it around as it's a Mastercard and all my other cards are Visas even though that hasn't mattered for when the DMV wasn't accepting Visa like a decade ago).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

spwrozek posted:

They can have different uses and it is nice to have a backup if you lose it or get your numbers stolen and are waiting for the replacement card.

It was nice to have my OG Mastercard when I was buying groceries and my Amazon card was missing from my wallet. Then I remembered that the lady at the Walgreens drive thru pickup window put it in a bag and stapled it with my medication, which I promptly forgot and threw it away.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One thing I've seen recommended is opening a new bank account only for the business. Then, you can just look at the transactions to see what the income and expenses are. Gotta be disciplined not to use it for anything else.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I always figure they wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money off of them (ie, they pay out for repairs less than they take in).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

human garbage bag posted:

Well what changed? They've never offered benefits or a living wage before, yet they managed to hire anyway.

A virulent pandemic?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kinda same question, I got a new job without a 401(k) and I already have been maxing out my IRA, so I need some place to put $10k+ away every year. Is there another type of long term retirement savings account that I can open?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Re: name stuff

My dad is "Jan", which is the Polish version of "John". He constantly gets mail for Ms. Jan Lastname. He had a nurse call today and didn't believe he was he. I bet he's had checks written out to John, but don't know for sure.

My mom inherited a parcel of land that was made out to a nickname that she used as a child in Poland. She had to get it changed to her legal name, which I don't remember really being an issue. But, like, the person who made out the will that way was no help cause they were dead!

I used to cash checks for "Tony" all the time. No one has ever said anything about it not being my full legal name.

I think basically, no one really gives a gently caress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you have a regular doctor, be sure to check if the ACA plans you are looking at are taken by your doctor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

I wish I'd invested when I was in my early 20s, I spent so much money on stupid poo poo it would have been nice to never even see that money. But then again, I wouldn't have this 900 DVD collection!

When all the streaming services fall apart through limited deals for what they can show, it'll be super valuable to have what you like easily accessible!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't know if it's "right" but I'm keeping my OG credit card around and use it only for Netflix with autopay. I basically have every single alert on it turned on, so I get an email and text if there's anything like a charge over $25 or a balance over $50 or what not. I feel pretty comfortable ignoring it beyond that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Personally: as long as you do not have a lot of cash income, which we def do not, it works great. They have really good over the phone customer service, they reimburse up to $10 a month in ATM fees, which pretty much always covers our occasional need cash options , and online works consistently.

I get around this stuff by having an account at a brick and motor bank and use the online only bank as my savings account. I did it cause I didn't want to close my bank account and move everything, it's easier for me to move the money and keep the old account for paying things. (I mostly use my credit card and only have to pay it, rent, and my electric bill with the bank.)

The only real downside I've thought about is how it takes a couple of days to transfer money between the accounts (and I don't have an ATM card for the online bank), so I keep some emergency cash in my brick and motor and just give up the better interest rate.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 1, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

Now I just need to be BFC responsible when I'm there and not spend all my money on hookers and blow.

Do some blow, work harder and faster, earn yourself some more money.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been renting for 20 years and have never seen an application fee. Most had a month's rent having to be paid up front and returned after you move out minus any costs to fix damage you may have done. But that was on lease signing, not application.

(it's been mostly in Central IL, apartments and a house, and renting half of a house in Milwaukee the last year)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sundae posted:

COBRA on my insurance at Pfizer when I was laid off in 2011 was like $1300 per month, so I can't imagine how expensive it'd be now.

What shocked me was that COBRA when I got laid off at the start of COVID lockdowns was actually affordable!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fancy_Lad posted:

I'm still using them, but the thing about capital one 360 that gives me pause to recommend them is that they have at least once switched the 'type' of savings accounts they offer and stuck the older accounts with a garbage interest rate.

If anyone has older savings accounts, be sure to open them up and check the 'VIEW DETAILS' page and make sure that they are the new performance version because it's the difference between something like a .3% and 4.15% apr.

This happened to me! Pulled it up, was shocked that my local bank gave me more money in interest than Capital One did even though I had like 10x more at Capital One. My local bank is currently giving a higher rate than Capital One is advertizing, so I moved everything out of there except for the few CDs I have auto renewing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Ally is popular here (I have used Ally as my only bank for 11ish years now they are solid), Capitol One is another that should be good.

Currently HYSA rates are around 4%, so the key thing is getting a rate around that (I wouldn’t worry about min / maxing), and that it is FDIC insured.

It was posted earlier in this thread, Capital One sometimes doesn't increase the rates of their existing accounts. I dealt with that!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is this why my bank got rid of Pop Money and screwed up my rent payment system?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Guinness posted:

VMFXX at about 5.4% yield right now, and where I have most cash parked in my brokerage sweep account.

My Capital One HYSA which is perfectly fine and good is at only 4.3%, so the 1%+ rate spread makes it worth moving most of it into the money market fund right now. Same liquidity and if US government securities stop paying we're all hosed anyway.

For some reason, Capital One has not raised the interest rate on my account over there, so they're only giving me what I was getting like 3 years ago (I think less than 1%). Saw other people complaining about it, so check your rates!

My local bank was offering a higher rate than Capitol One was promoting, so I'm over there at the moment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, well, after years of paying attention and not seeing any problems, I kind of stopped looking at the savings account and was shocked when I finally noticed.

So, I'm warning others about it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would. Should be a quick reply.

(had an old job where I opened up my 401(k) and saw $0. Gave them a call, was told they switched services and I "must not have gotten get the letter they sent me", had it sorted out quickly.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Can anyone reccomend a good Android app for making a budget? Or at least keeping track of all my expenses in one place?

This comes up from time to time on the Android Apps thread, if you wanna look/ask over there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=329&perpage=40

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pipistrelle posted:

There is a US goonfund thread in CSPAM that can help with small requests for money

I didn't know this was something I could throw some money at...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Amazon Gift Cards? Not sure you can use prepaid cards for it though but I know it can do low and or odd dollar amounts many times.

This talk got me to convert an $18 virtual debit card I got to Amazon credit. It said it failed to go through, I accidentally clicked it to try again when attempting to cancel, and it went through immediately. :shrug:

Thanks, thread!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Why doesn't he want to live on-campus in the dorms? One of the most helpful things about going to college is the connections you make with people there, and commuter students are much, much worse about making those connections.

Pretty much everyone I know moved from the dorms into apartments for their 3rd and 4th years. Tons and tons of apartments basically on campus within walking distance of everything. poo poo, my first apartment was closer to my classes than the dorms I stayed at.

Plus, you know, parties and drinking and sex and poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

drk posted:

My memory is a little hazy, but the last time I had a car loan, I believe I was limited on the amount I could pay extra on the loan.

I have not heard of that from anyone (though I'm sure some lenders do that). My last car loan, I paid off in two months, they didn't say poo poo to me.

(needed to replace a car that got totaled, took me a little bit to withdraw the cash to pay for the car, so I paid that one month of interest)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Found a bunch of EE bonds my dad had in a random box. I guess they stop gaining interest after 30 years? So, had just been sitting in a cabinet doing nothing the last 15 years.

I mean, it was a couple hundred bucks, so not a big deal in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm a newbie, but to me that reads as to what happens if the interest isn't paid off as it accumulates. Eg, if your interest is valued at $100 and you pay $105, you pay off the interest and put $5 toward the principal and you have less interest accumulate next month.

If your interest is valued at $100 and you pay $95, that $5 you don't pay gets added to your principal and that goes up and you have to pay more next month.