Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I bought in on ACLS thinking "wow I'm pumped I can buy in under $3" and it just continued to drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

a cop posted:

Lol I'm so sorry to anyone who got in on acls....rip my limbs off...

what the gently caress happened at that conference? I saw some reports that it wasn't even that bad there, but the semiconductor industry as a whole is taking a pretty big dive so gently caress!!!!

it'll come back...it always comes back!!

I'm glad I didn't double down and buy more when you said to!

That said, how low will it go? I might buy in again, but drat the first buy hurt quite a bit.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

a cop posted:

ACLS nooooo.

Just gotta hold for a few more years...

e: Just saw the after hours trades and then the report, it's not even bad!

What the hell happened to this stock?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

ryanbruce posted:

Glad I got out of SUNE a long time ago, but it's great to sit back and watch with a bag of popcorn..

Stocktwits has been pure comedy watching SUNE these past few weeks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Harry posted:

Anyone else on the McAfee express to mad gainz (MGT)?

http://youtu.be/bKgf5PaBzyg

If he'll get me some of those bath salts then maybe

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
MGT poppin' off

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Cratering your economy is a good way to stop immigration I guess

Only registered members can see post attachments!

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 24, 2016

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
MGT got delisted, would that make the list?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
saw this advertisement yesterday, seems legit

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

fps_bill posted:

Why has AKER gone ham over the last week? I had it and made a few bucks off of it the other week when it was like .17 a share. I need to remove stuff from my watch list after I sell it. All I'm looking at now is how of I would have just bought 8k shares and sat on them I'd be halfway to an m76 right now.

I got really lucky and was holding a very large chunk of AKER from .26 to .45. I'm watching this one through this market volatility, something is up here because the volume over the last week has been pretty crazy.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Has $GE finally turned the corner?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Small cap bios are hot as gently caress right now. Doubled my account in a month on TRVN, TROV and HSGX. I'm taking a week off to let my emotions settle, I'm never this lucky

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

loving TRVN I held it till the committee meeting and it went from $3 to 0.8. Hoping FDA still approves it.

Ouch. What’s your entry? I bought a fairly large position at 1.4x, sold half at 2.25 and the other half at 3.20. I have been burned holding through binary events so I just play run-ups usually, and those plays have been hot the past month.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This thread's a lot more fun with all of this v o l a t i l i t y.

This should be the current thread title

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

Buying a bunch of EXPR, buyback program alone will bring this back to around 7

Thank you for this post, got 3000 at 5.9

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

I'll take the other side of this if you're down for a Toxx Clause bet.

DO IT DO IT DO IT

I live in PDX, a liberal echo-chamber of a city and even here it feels like Trump is sure to win. I've been taking the "Trump will win re-election" side of the bet with many of my friends even though I want nothing more than to see him lose. To look at the situation positively, either way I win.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNYNMM0hXXY

A forever green Stock Trading Megathread post.

Watched some other videos and did some reading on this story... wow, that's some wsb autist-level money managing. I had no idea the people invested in a fund could be on the hook for the debt incurred when the balance of the fund goes negative.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

No one in their right mind pays list price for an American truck :v:

as someone who works in tech.... young, dumb money absolutely pays list for an American truck

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

/wsb hype here (upvote it...once people realize this exists, its going to go crazy) https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ebx675/soly_tiny_float_tattoo_removal_magic_box/

fuckin furu pumper :v:

Real talk though, I'm interested. What's your thoughts on risk of near-term dilution? Looking at it extremely briefly they only have $8-9 million dollars in cash and burn about $3-4 million a quarter. They IPO'd in February and already raised more cash through dilution in June. Got any more info why you're so bullish on this one? Maybe they get purchased by big pharma? Lots of small cap pharma stocks getting bought out lately.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 18, 2019

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

I went from being up 120% on the year to currently down about 30%. Losses well into the 6 figures. I'm not broke, I haven't hosed up my retirement, and I'm still in a good spot financially but losing this much is making me realize that its all just ridiculous and I'm tired of it- I'm tired of how this makes me feel and how it leads me to live my life so adios goons and good loving luck with this rigged rear end game! I'm going to find a different hobby.

I would have never held all the puts I had on Friday through the last few days but, hypothetically, if I had.. I would have made over $3million dollars. gently caress this

You can't let it consume you. I'm not playing as large as you are but I've been on some real coolers before too. Blown up twice. All I can say is you're pretty drat good at this stuff from reading your posts the last 200 or so pages, hang it up for a while but don't give it all the way up. Step away for a bit, we'll be here when you get back <3

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I bought some CRTX, been watching you guys have fun and I want to have fun

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

Honestly guys, what kind of rationale is "there was very little indication it would be this bad" like what were you expecting? When China started literally shutting down and the market kept rallying that was your marker. Yes, I know I misplayed it so I can barely comment, but what exactly would you expect as a sign of a crash *before* a crash if not the second largest economy in the world rapidly shutting itself down and getting like 2 weeks in lala land to think about it before it finally crashed? I might argue it was the most clearly telegraphed and playable crash maybe in history. The dotcom and housing bubbles took *forever*, dec 2018 kind of came out of nowhere.... this one took a few weeks with *very* cheap puts available basically the whole time in the lead up. It's absolutely maddening, it was so obvious i thought i was losing my goddamn mind and surrendered to the herd.... oh boy im getting emotional again

This, totally this. I’d also given in to the herd mentality, I’d been burned on puts too many times to try and play it even though it was obvious what was happening. At least I moved about 70% to cash before things really fell apart

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
LOL at Trump, he's taking a victory lap for pumping the market during the COVID update right now. "We should do that 5 times a day, every day"... the balls on this guy

Edit: He just said the market gonna bounce

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 14, 2020

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Bored As gently caress posted:

I was really, really tempted to sell some of my Amazon stock to buy more puts. My grandpa bought that for me like 15 years ago before he died. I've only got 10 shares, but I'm saving that for either a down payment on a house in 5+ yrs, or retirement. Gonna hold onto it. But so tempted.

NO

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ha Ha Ha what the gently caress are you doing, Cortexyme

I copped some at 31, let's see

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
It’s so hilarious to me how companies can go from buying back millions of shares of stock to a month later “I need a bailout”

I get that it’s more complex then it sounds but lol, gently caress off

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Intel needs a ton of research to improve their current processor, they are using basically a hyper refined version of what they released in 2010. AMD just released a new die that is highly competitive with Intel's mature node already. Safe money would be AMD over Intel, they also do video cards too! If RD funds start thinning out Intel is hosed. I guess both kind of are because who the hell is going to buy a $500 CPU?

Intel also heavily relies on harvesting from higher end "bins" and discounting the ones that are more poo poo and can't perform. The $49 processor? that's sold at a loss it's a waste product. They want to sell the $2,000 server chips. If you argue high end servers will become all the more important, Google and Amazon have both been looking at getting some Epyc servers from AMD (yes Epyc and Ryzen are stupid names)

There's a lot more to Intel vs AMD when you take into account which one to invest in. AMD is fab-less at this point where Intel still owns and operates it's fabs. Back when Intel had the lead in the race for smaller and smaller die sizes, this was an advantage. At some point Intel slipped and got stuck at 14nm while the rest of the world moved on. This is where being fab-less paid off big for AMD as they were able to farm out the manufacturing of their chips to whomever had the best process. When you say their currenty chips are a "hyper-refined version" of their chips from 2010, you're not telling the whole story. The chip design has changed dramatically, however Intel has been stuck at the 14nm process node for a loooong time and is only just now starting to produce 10nm in mass. If Intel sorts out 10nm quickly and makes the quick jump to 7nm (which they are trying to do) this would be very bullish for the company and the stock.

I would also add that Intel does a lot more than just produce a processor, they produce memory in the form of SSDs and their Optane memory line, some of their own mini-PCs, among many, many other things. Intel is also dominant in the low-power processor space iirc. I don't disagree with you at all about AMD having the competitive advantage right now in processor speed, but this is something that goes in cycles. Now that AMD is in the lead Intel is doubling down on their manufacturing R&D and working to regain the dominance, we'll see how that plays out.

Intel also pays a decent dividend that has been rising over time. Yes, AMD was a better investment if you got in back when the share prices was ~$2, but not many of us were that lucky. (I still own like 10,000 shares in a paper trade account that I bought just over $2 and it makes me sad it's not real money lol)

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

as per: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gauravsharma/2020/03/12/supertanker-prices-spike-by-nearly-678-as-oil-price-tanks/
"Many players big and small are looking to "do a Gunvor", a famous contango play by the world's largest independent oil trader under its former co-founder Gennady Timchenko. The Russian billionaire's call back in 2008-09 resulted in a storage management master-class from Gunvor that yielded it over $600 million in profits."

I dunno which stock to recommend for this play.

Oil shippers looking like a good play for this. DHT, STNG, EURN. Penny shippers running now TOPS (lol) and PXS

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Jack Daniels posted:

noticed TOPS spiking past two days for no reason and was like

now there it is BOOM offering aaaaand -60% lol. really funny to see the classic Greek Shipper Pump & Dump still alive and well! :mufasa:

Classic TOPS, fuckin’ classic

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

If I'd made my ballsy BA put play from last week, this week, I'd be up $4300-$7300 USD today instead of $1400. :hmmyes:

trade aint ballsy if you dont put it on lol

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
etrade fills are the best fills

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heeheeeee I am officially GILDed

Anyone else hit big on it??

Not in GILD but made a bunch on sympathy play BCRX, they’ve got a drug similar to Remdesivir in P1

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:laugh: now you're gonna make a bad move to make up for it

for real

I wouldn't trade at all until you can get a handle on your emotions. It's times like these where you revenge trade into an even bigger loss

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Spectral_beard posted:

Intel has a PE of like 9 and they pay a decent dividend. It doesn't matter if their semiconductors are trash compared to AMD - who sells more circuit cards? The company makes a ton of money I think they will be fine.

I work for Intel. I played the run up to earnings and sold everything I had on the pop on news of the company selling the NAND division to SK Hynix. I never hold the stock through earnings, Intel gets absolutely slaughtered for missing *anything* when it comes to earnings.

While I'm short term bearish on Intel, one thing I know from working here as long as I have is that the company does best when it's behind. It's a different playing field this time now that we don't have the technology lead (TSMC is kicking our rear end right now) but Intel is going to bounce back. Keep in mind the company owns all of it's own fabs. In the meantime it pays a great dividend. I'm waiting for a low to form so I can add some to my long-term account.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

Any recommended investing/stocks/options trading podcasts? Thank you.

My favorite one right now is The Market Huddle, they have on some awesome guests. I really found recent episode #101 very enjoyable, but all of them are pretty good. It depends on who you are though, I'm a degenerate who loves trading memes and old stories about trading in the pits so I find it to be pretty fun.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 14, 2020

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
as long as they keep that money printer goin brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, number go up

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

I know almost nothing, like I'm still trying to figure out how TradingView works there are so many buttons

I love me some tradingview. I spend way too much time playing with charts. Speaking of, what's on everyone's favorite lists for indicators? Mine:

Bollinger Bands
Heikin Ashi Smoothed Buy Sell
MACD
Money Flow
Moving Average
On Balance Volume
Relative Strength Index
Vortex Indicator
VWAP
Williams %R

I'd love to see what other people use. I've been using MACD, OBV and RSI as a guideline for trades in my retirement accounts for years.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This will take 18 days to complete. The future of currencies!!

!!!!!

Congrats dude!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

Anyone else have any anecdotes or lessons from 2020?

I loved the format of this post! Thank you for sharing.

Speculation account: +40%
Retirement account: +60%

2020 was a wild ride. I didn't do great in my speculation account largely because I did terrible at holding onto winners. I have been trading microcap biotech stocks for fun for the past few years and I had the bad habit this year of selling the first pop, only to sit on my hands and watch it run crazy over the next week or two. I figured out very early in the year that what I was trading before wasn't working in the current environment and started trading other things, but I was using the same methodology for entry and exit that I was when trading poo poo bio stocks. Needless to say I left a lot of money on the table this year.

2020 was my best year trading because of how well I did in my retirement account. I use Twitter just for fintwit and it was really obvious that what was happening in China with the virus was really bad. I moved my retirement account 100% to cash in the middle of February, pretty much perfectly timing the exit. I knew not to wait for the bottom and started buying around 250 on the SPY on the way down, however I had no idea how fast it would pull back up so I wasn't aggressive enough re-entering. By the time the SPY mostly recovered in early June, I was slightly positive but still 40% cash. Whoops.

However, my single best trade ever came this year in my retirement account. I had been trading GBTC for a while and was buying and selling it from the march lows making some small profits here and there. In September I felt much more confident in how it was moving and bought 5000 shares. I'm still only holding about 2500 shares of it, but that ticker accounted for $100k+ of my profit this year in that account. As someone who always feels like he's playing catch-up following a divorce in my 30's, this trade was a nice shot in the arm.

My goal for next year is to be more patient in trades, both with entries and how long I hold them. I am also going to start journaling my trades, something I have never done. I look back on some of my trades this year and think "man, wtf were you thinking", when I do that at the end of 2021 I'd like to have an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I've been having good luck playing the run-ups on the IPOx spacs. I made money on the IPOC and IPOE. I'm still in IPOD and IPOF and up 25ish% in each. Just sell the pop on the announcement or the run-up into the deal. This spac poo poo is easy, huh?