Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got an e-mail from Schwab. Looks like they opened up a suicide hotline. :ohdear:

quote:

Our perspective on market events.
We're here to help.

When the market is volatile like it has been the last several days, it’s natural to feel some concern and have questions. We are here to help. If you have any questions about your portfolio or your financial plan, please call a Schwab investment professional 24/7 at 800-435-4000, or contact your Schwab Financial Consultant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Butcher posted:

Not for stock gambling reasons but what model sports car should everyone buy?

The 981 Cayman S is the best choice for a man of excellent taste.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Way ahead of you boss :smuggo:

The BMW M2 Competition is generally considered the sweet spot of price and performance

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've always wondered: do most of you dudes in here just see this as gambling/fun, or are you guys day-trading away non-trivial portions of your portfolios?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The Stock Trading Megathread: This is not my first time in the coin game.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lote posted:

Does anything bad happen when the 1 year treasury inverts with the 5 year treasury? Cause it's about to happen.

My home inspection is today. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lote posted:

Tesla +2% in premarket. Life is parody now. I have seen the smocking gun and he is us.

Bro you have to stick to something you're good at, ie, gambling at the poker table.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's loving awful all around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oooof.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I did undergrad bio research for a PhD student who went on to start a company.

I decided not to get a job and went to med school.

They recently got profiled in Forbes.

Company is still private, growing, and estimate to be worth 1.5B.

I'm so loving dumb.

And my wife wants a peleton.

gently caress.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bro, it's
Unreasonable to think that
You can predict the future

Considering that a "good decision" can lead to a sub
Optimal path and a "bad decision" can lead to
Riches. The frustrating
Thing is that you can
Encounter an
X-marks-the-spot map to treasure and
You'll hesitate, leaving
Money on the table and
Earning the mockery of everyone in this thread.

gently caress

Man

Yeah

I know

Right

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

My sister bought like a few hundred bucks worth as a lottery ticket a year ago or so. Hope this teaches her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh can someone explain what's going on with these cash infusions? I'm just a simple country doctor. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LLCoolJD posted:

A lack of liquidity in overnight lending is driving interest rates well above what the Fed had set as the target rate. They apparently got as high as 10% at times. The Fed is having to inject cash to keep interest rates within the desired range (or just a little bit above the desired range).

Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

Ugh I should have refinanced last month.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Two loving percent on no news? Or rather, the same news we've been hearing for literally years?

I love putting money in on the last of the month and watching it evaporate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like I should announce that I'm doing this so you can all short and get rich because every. loving. Time.

It seems to happen every loving time at the end of the month, especially on bonus months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Motherfucker. How does TLH work again? If I invest monthly on the 30th in index 500 Admiral shares in my brokerage account, I can TLH those right? Or can I not because I'm buying/selling within the 30 day period? Can I only not BUY new shares within 30 days after selling?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

You can sell them but you can't rebuy them, or something substantially similar, if you want to be safe, again within 30 days.

I believe it's 30 days forward/back, which means that if you're automatically investing at the end of the month, and try to TLH on say, the 15th, you can't do that, right?

edit: I think I found the answer. If you buy shares on 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, etc, and try to TLH on 3/15, you can TLH the 1/1 and 2/1 lots, but not the 3/1 lots.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 3, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol good thing buying options was too complicated for me, I would have gotten absolutely obliterated. gently caress that stupid company and the hooks and crooks they use to cook their books.

I was wondering if we’d have a BWM thread crossover! :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Gamesguy posted:

Except for the part where you go to prison for fraud.

Retail traders don't have access to buying options on margin. When your account was asking you whether you wanted margin trading, it was asking about stock(and writing naked options).

What this guy did was literally against federal law.

Nah, RH would've taken his gains like it happened to that French guy last year who made $12 million on a $20k account trading futures.

Lol, did this really happen? RH is such trash for letting stuff like this continue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

– In a Phase 1b trial, COR388 reduced levels of fragmented ApoE protein in cerebrospinal fluid of subjects with Alzheimer’s –

Next stop, the moon...

Lol phase IB.

In a phase I trial my nuts also showed promising anticancer properties.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone had success in convincing their employer to allow post tax contributions to their 401ks? It'd be nice to be able to hit that 56k limit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

You mean like a Roth 401(k)? As far as I know, that doesn’t do anything except let the employee make after tax contributions.

Nah, like a megaback door roth. Essentially convincing your employer to:

1. Allow you to contribute after-tax money in to a separate portion of your 401k
2. Allow for in-service rollovers of the aftertax money to an IRA/Roth.

This allows you to grow money up to that 56k limit tax-free.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Ahhh, got it. Hmm, I’m my employer and helped set up the 401(k) plan, I should ask about this for next year.

If you've got a solo 401k, you're able to do this pretty easily by maxing out the 19k employee contribution, then maxing out the 37k employer contribution.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the max really a completely new plane? Any reason (if this is really just a software problem) they couldn't rebrand/call it the 737-NOTMAX?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc it uses a significantly modified engine which necessitated wing shape changes and some other structural stuff on the airframe. It's a pretty different plane, it's not just software. The software was designed to account for the changes to the handling characteristics of the plane so the pilots would feel like they were still in a 737 and not need retraining

fougera posted:

The very idea of changing a plane's center of gravity, trying to compensate for that with software, and then have the government/operators/consumers sign off on it sounds crazy. I have no idea what the probabilities are but this business might earn around $4 EPS off of the defense business while the commercial business attempts to regroup?

Oh. Oooooh. Jesus.

You know, I think excess regulation is the problem here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You know I thought this was just the crazy gambling thread, but maybe it's some sort of secret insider trading ring.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Worse is probably the guy who worked on DSP (IIRC) and posted details about nuke event detection...

What's this now?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

You see people that buy $120,000 cars are price sensitive to 20 cent a gallon gas price increases.

This but unironically.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Baddog posted:

Renting my almost two year old model 3 for 1k a week to tech savvy people is starting to get enticing.

And if the auto driving taxi thing happens in another three years, why wouldn't I sign up a car worth maybe less than 20k at that point?

Think it's probably just time for you all to close your shorts. Especially if you are still conflating gm and Tesla.

You are not renting your Tesla out for 4k/month.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

greasyhands posted:

The 737 is all but confirmed shot down now, wonder if that changes anything

Boeing stock goes up!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MussoliniB posted:

Through this thread I’ve been learning the stock market. Taking play money and seeing what y’all recommend and why and how it works. I put REAL money on CRTX, and, well thanks to the goons that stood behind it!

you see what you guys did

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

greasyhands posted:

Who in the world is buying TSLA 1/31 900 calls, theyre up over 300% today. What the gently caress is going on

Drugs. Lots of drugs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dougdrums posted:

what the gently caress is going on with stocks? like, all of them. bonds too, and gold.

uso, energy in general, maybe ag are the only non batshit markets rn

e: I have a bunch of cash and I'm seriously considering poker over the markets. Sold all of my poo poo, all of it.

ee: like the 3.5% my bank can get me feels like icing on the cake at this point

woah hold on what bank is giving you 3.5%?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dougdrums posted:

nfcu on a 12mo cd

e: o poo poo turns out it's $3k max lol

gently caress it I'm gonna get some tsla puts tomorrow

I do think snap is overvalued. What are they doing to actually be valuable?

Oh drat it. You were giving me hope that there was a better place for my emergency fund.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Ally is at 1.6% right now. Seems like getting anything above 1.5% is pretty standard in the HYSA arena at the moment.

Yeah seems like Ally has dropped below the others. It only ends up being a couple hundred bucks a year, but Varo (???) is offering 1.9%. I'm wondering if I should switch somewhere else if Ally has decided to not be competitive with others.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If you post in this thread I'd imagine that flipping money between HYSAs chasing the best rates is trivial level financial antics for you.

Of course all that money in a savings account could be gambling so wtf are you doing with it in a savings account!?

Saving it for a rainy day? Cash for our next car?

I’m worried about gambling. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Solice Kirsk posted:

Funds kept liquid are funds not making money. No savings, no checking. Only credit cards and brokerage accounts. Banks are a relic of the past, time to move on from them.

What

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Agronox posted:

It's beautiful.

Because of all the reverse splits it hit an adjusted high of $5,100 in 2017. Today a share can be had for 5/100ths of a penny.

My sister, who lets me manage pretty much all of her boring investing activity and displays almost no interest in it, texted me a few years back and told me she was taking a $100 flyer on them. :psyduck:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

greasyhands posted:

TSLA up $80 today, thats really something huh guys

God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally feels like I'm buying low with my end of the month contributions!

:toot: