Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Best illuminated manuscript thread in BFC :) Someone asked about possibly changing the penny stock rule, so if you guys agree to change it just remember to amend the OP.

BTW, it's spelled "lose" not "loose". Thanks for making a new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sorry, no way to delete posts (assuming that's what you're asking). I suggest editing both of your posts to include pictures of cats day trading, like so:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Attention all rich jerks itt (especially those who never read any other threads in BFC): guaranteed immediate 100% ROI on your investment in camel shares. Act now!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

evilwaldo posted:

Please leave.
No, you.*

*this applies to everyone posting stupid poo poo in this thread that is not contributive, cut that poo poo out

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Lote posted:

Additionally, even if we know that azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine / chloroquine cure the virus, if 50-60% of the USA is affected by it, we will run out of those medications quickly. It takes time to manufacture those medications and we don't have that much stockpiled because azithromycin isn't that common of an antibiotic as first line and people just don't get malaria anymore.
My mom got malaria twice, first time in Mexico and second time in Tennessee. In Mexico they had the medicine immediately, in Tennessee they took two weeks just to get her diagnosed (she had told them what it was, they just didn't believe her) and then said they would have to send away for the medicine.

So they just drove down to Mexico to get her treated. Flipping America, man.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Just wanted to say thank you to the thread, I just aced my options test because I've been reading every post in here for the past couple of months instead of studying a boring textbook. You guys are the best <3

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Congrats!

What are you planning to lose all your money on first?
Nope, no way am I trying to predict the future.

For if GGGC could start making good posts, if an Elon stock with a broken balance sheet could go to the moon, what else might be possible? Water may be older than light, diamonds crack in hot goat's blood, mountaintops give off cold fire, forests appear in mid-ocean, it may happen that unemployment makes number go up, that the dead cat be caught in an eternal bounce. And it may be that recession sometimes occurs without pain or misery.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

This should be the thread title tbh because it perfectly sums up how the industry makes this poo poo confusing to outsiders.
I remember when I first learned what a "basis point" was.. severely disillusioned.

I mean what the loving gently caress, I looked up the symbols for the months and this: https://www.mrci.com/web/online-explanation-pages/symbols-a-codes.html

moana
Jun 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasnt the luelinks guy also like #9 at fb

and theres subjunctive who was deffo more a single digit millionaire but lol
Dont forget corsair.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sepist posted:

I really, really, reallllly need to stop trading outside of my system. Indicator is up $600 on the day, trading by hand down 3k. My daughter is being a butthead today because she's teething and it seems to be tilting me a bit on the stocks
Frozen grapes in a mesh bag, send me half ur profits tia

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I think the old long term investing thread title used to be "gently caress Edward jones", maybe we should change it back to that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I recently read an article (that I can't find now) that made a pretty good case that yes, a good passive strategy always beats out active over time, but that in certain market conditions (where we are now/about to be) an active fund will destroy a passive strategy. It was basically advocating that instead of pulling your passive money out of the market to try and time the bottom you should just switch to to an active fund and then back to passive in a year or two when things settle back down.
I'd believe it, but... knowing when to switch to active management and which active management team to switch to seems just as hard as timing the market swongs yourself. What market conditions were they talking about?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Unless your job includes, like, infinite free blow jobs as a perk, you should be looking for a new job.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DNK posted:

Everyone knows the saying “there’s no reward without some risk” but the opposite is not true: there’s plenty of risk without reward.
Didn't read, gonna go free solo the empire state building and jump off with only an umbrella, I expect to land in a pile of gold

moana
Jun 18, 2005

In the US you get a step up in basis for any asset really, stocks and real estate are the most common. Don't give your kid a house or a stock share when you're alive, bequeath it to them when you die to avoid paying taxes on it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ola posted:

Can't help but feel US tax code is in need of a reboot.
Hopefully the estate tax exemption will get reverted back to what it was a few years ago, but I'm not holding my breath. Over $11 million tax free is loving ridiculous for a country who reveres the "self-made" wealthy. Lower the exemption, double the estate tax rate and the GSTT rate, eliminate dynasty trusts, raise capital gains rates, quadruple IRS funding and force them to go after rich tax evaders. That would be a good start.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

If you can write well enough to get a lonely person off with words, you can make some money.
Since the smutocalypse on Amazon, you can't do short erotica anymore. You have to sandwich the smut between some boring plot stuff so it counts as romance. The romance novelists of SA made a killing for a while there. Not sure how easy it is to get into anymore but a good starting point is the 20BooksTo50k community if you want to self publish for profit.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

What in the gently caress, I think she might have missed a few pertinent points from the bible, like the meek shall inherit the earth and all that.
loving prosperity gospel, the worst scourge of American christianity.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Is the idea here that money fleeing nonprofit stocks is attracted to higher bond yields, becuase if so, shouldn't that shift of money bid up bond prices and thus drive yields back down?
No, it's that rising yields means rising expected inflation. Higher inflation means that the farther out your profits are, the less they're worth in present value. Growth companies with profitability expected way out in the future aren't worth as much when inflation is kicking up.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moctopus posted:

Instead of buying a round-trip airplane ticket, just stay home. $$$$
Now I'm imagining a truck full of redwood logs just driving around tourist traps for a little log vacation, maybe stay at a KOA one night, and then driving back home.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

pmchem posted:

30-year treasury bond futures: is the symbol for them anything OTHER than /ZB on any exchange/brokerage/app?
Maybe ZBM1 for the June futures if they specify by expiry date

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Next person to continue the slapfight gets a week, you know I hate having to read this thread when it gets reported.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I tried three times to change the thread title but it kept kicking back "invalid character", I don't know wtf was wrong or why it worked this time but here you are.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Buckle in folks, poo poo's about to get sanguine
Sanguine as in cheerful optimism or sanguine as in bloody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm

I feel like universal healthcare didn't quite fit the theme. Probably should have been pensions for lawful good, not sure about neutral good
Prescription drugs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_good