Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

The vast majority won't be able to cash out at those levels, no. By definition, if someone bought at $25k then someone else sold at $25k. But anyone buying at that point is just a bagholder

The promise that WSB is selling to the public is that the hedge funds will be forced to buy all of the shares to cover all of their <$50/share short positions, and that the hedge fund is lying when they claim to have already done this. But long after the hedge fund has exited those positions, there will be a bunch of people left holding the bag wherever the peak winds up. That's why the diamond-hand meme exists; it's important to convince everyone else to not sell, to increase your own odds of selling at an ever-more-favorable price.

If the hedge funds haven't actually closed their previous short positions, then it's a huge game of prisoner's dilemma. But once they have, then the game is musical chairs; eventually the music stops and a bunch of people won't have anywhere to sit.

So, invest in chair manufacturers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible for them to say “look, if we go bust we can’t keep making money for you, so let’s work this out low key”?

I've been looking for an answer to this out of curiosity, and I honestly can't find anything that says no apart from general precedent (how do you trust any published numbers if off-the-books trade deals bordering on collusion are permitted / regular things?). Maybe someone else has a better answer (I'm in the long-term investment camp, not the stock picking camp), but it looks like a "rules say nothing about dogs playing basketball" sort of thing to me.

Which is to say... gonna get dunked on.

quote:

OK, why do you think that?

The off-the-books trade would still close their existing position (otherwise why do it), which would then be reflected in the # of outstanding shorts, etc etc. What you'd be getting out of it, as the borrower, is that your counterparty was willing to accept a lower-than-market-value payout. The only potential weirdness is that, if they did that, they technically didn't get their stock back so presumably something would switch from a short/borrow to a purchase? Not sure.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 31, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

you guys are misunderstanding. In the scenario presented, Melvin isn't making a deal with whoever they borrowed shares from and returning the shares to the lender. They're making a deal with some other third party, giving them cash to take up the short position. There would be no change in the short position as far as the market at large is concerned. Just two Wall St dudes in a room shoveling poo poo from one person to another in exchange for cash.

Ah, yep, I completely misread that. Sorry! I was interpreting it as "Yo, these retail fuckers are trying to gently caress with us and causing huge volatility. How about you guys accept $X which is more than your base value but way less than these fuckers have driven the price up, they get left holding the bag, and we forget this whole sorry mess ever happened?" More of a lost-library-book scenario.

I have no idea how to interpret third-party involvement. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

Zaurg should be probed when he’s not posting in his own thread again

Like I said up in the rules thread recently: Don't talk about Zaurg posting. Just report him and move on, or respond to the content in earnest (after reporting him of course). He's right that people poo poo up the thread talking about him, so I've had enough of that too.

I've queued up a month for him since I'm sick of his poo poo in general. Zaurg, stop posting in BFC or I'm going to ask for a 100Ker on you.

A question worth answering, though posted:

Is this the stock trading thread or the loving shitcoin thread?
Are there any actual mods in BFC? Why let this nonsense go on about shitcoins in the stock trading thread? I know, I know, just probe me and it’ll all be fine.

To answer this question sincerely: There are one mod and one IK for BFC right now. The mod does not trade individual stocks and views it largely as gambling. I can't speak for the IK, but I suspect he has similar views re: investment strategies. I don't intervene in this thread because I'm not a fit to enforce its thread culture, so to speak, and because I don't actually read the thread unless something reports poo poo or PMs me. (Like, for example, if Zaurg shows up here and gets reported.)

If the thread in general has specific rules they'd like me to enforce, I'm game for it. I'm not going to dictate the thread culture/contents, though, as long as I don't see WSB-style racism and pump&dump shittery going on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I do believe that the one thing everyone in this thread was in agreement on was please, for the love of god, let's not start another pro-crypto / anti-crypto argument in this thread.

Please. Do it for the children.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on 3D printing stocks?

I tried it once, but I couldn't get anyone at the exchange to accept them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just make sure you don't trigger a wash sale

You beautiful bastard.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hey - just to reach out to you guys directly since this is one of the faster-moving threads in BFC: Could you provide your feedback? In particular, I want to know if you folks need an IK for this thread or if you feel like it's going fine.

Feedback thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966517

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

When I sleep, I keep it open though for easy finding! Yes Red, I was going to delete it when I saw the stocks, but maybe I can be the threads meme, Make me IK and I will cut down on all the meanies in here...

Are we 100% certain you're not a Zaurg alt?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
For the people talking about Annovis, btw...

quote:

Annovis Bio Shows Alzheimer’s Reversal in Humans in Phase II Study

I bolded the important part there. Yes, this is a positive sign. However, in my 13-year-long pharma career this is the third time I've seen basically this exact same headline with a different company name. In each of the previous cases, it flopped hard in Phase III and their stocks cratered.

Buyer beware until Phase III results, basically.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

If you guys start gambling in here the thread will be moved to PITR.

This sounds like a fun idea. I'm kinda tempted. :D

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Edit nope, I'm dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Why do people even use Robinhood? What are you getting that I'm not getting from my Schwab individual brokerage account? Is it the whole thing about how they irresponsibly allow people who have no business doing so to trade on margin?

I'm curious about this too, even as a non-trader. Given everyone is constantly pissed at RH, why is everyone using them? Are the others inaccessible, worse, both, etc?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Once the world is safe(ish) again, I'd love to do a Degenerate Gambling Challenge where people sign up to either go to Vegas or get on Day Trade stuff, and we take like $1000 each and see whether, on average, Vegas beats a week of day traders in this thread. (Yeah, I know, market timing doesn't make it accurate or fair but it'd be fun. :haw:)

I suspect day traders would win easily if airfare and hotels are counted into the expenses, but we'd just ignore that part. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

If loving around with stocks included a seafood buffet and unlimited whiskey sours / Manhattans the degeneracy would be off the charts.

I paid for my entire 4-day trip to Vegas with the single best video blackjack machine I've ever seen. Standard rules, 3:2, dealer vs 7 hands (all played by you), and one deck. No dealer watching me count cards, no players bitching at me for taking too long, and I get to see 29% of the entire deck at initial deal. :neckbeard:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Uhhhhh where is this magic machine??

MGM Grand, next to Signature Hotel. Back in the regular slots by the bathrooms on the main floor when I was there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

D1Sergo posted:

NDRA! NDRA NDRA NDRA! (I sold, can you tell?)

Keep this up and I may have to buy on Monday. :v:

Stock-adjacent: Some weirdos came into my (not even remotely stock-related) discord server out of nowhere shilling GME/AMC. I had a great time banning them.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 25, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

https://twitter.com/UnHedgedChatter/status/1408387614336507911

it's very funny to me that a company with less than $200k in annual revenue was able to sell $250 million worth of stock to idiots

to be fair i did trade it both long and short but hold it into close? lmao hell no

:lol: At least you can eat your shares at the Jersey deli.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/theres-a-single-new-jersey-deli-doing-35000-in-sales-valued-at-100-million-in-the-stock-market.html

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

You have got to be kidding me.

I have to admit, Musk buying an attorney general to get out of this was not on my bingo card.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Obviously there wasn't a "buy some JUUL!" ad on nickelodeon dot com but the product is a sexy USB Drive flavored like jamba juice with Ambiguous Tweeny-Somethings in the marketing so it's definitely "targeting" teens, however you want to define it

Two posts above yours :lol:

Am I getting :thejoke:'d , or did you manage to accidentally pick the exact site they advertised on?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Ahh, gotcha. I misunderstood your post. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shroud posted:

Looks like it'll be a quandary for whichever judge gets this. On the one hand, if you don't enforce the merger agreement, you poo poo all over every other contract in Delaware and open up a massive can of worms for existing and future contracts. On the other hand, if you do enforce it, you have to deal with some combination of Elon ignoring the court/years of appeals/pandering to the court of public opinion/actually enforcing it.

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but it looks like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Not even remotely an expert, but I think the bolded part is going to be the big one here. Name a big company, they're probably in Delaware somehow. The judges can either piss off Musk, or they can piss off actual, functioning adults and companies that aren't built entirely on hype and cokedust. Billionaire Calvinball aside, if I had to bet, I'd bet on the rest of the wealthy sphere throwing Musk overboard rather than risking putting holes in their boat.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Yeah Delaware is a tiny inconsequential state with not enough land or people to provide state level services, so they are sort of the cayman island of the US, with very low corporate taxes, very strong pro business laws and minimal state oversight. The majority of profitable corporations are registered in Delaware, in second place is Nevada for pretty much the same reasons, then everyone else

Legal zoom defaults to Delaware when you create an out of state corp

If I recall correctly, when the Panama Papers came out, the NYTimes or WaPo asked an investment expert of some sort why there were so few American companies/individuals in them, relative to the scale/scope of the leak. The dude's answer was basically, "why use Panama when Delaware exists?"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Amazon is getting into the healthcare space so that’s gonna be something. Subscribe to prime and get 2 hour emergency room priority

Yep. They bought my primary care provider. :(

(Honestly, I don't like the One Medical model at all, but they were the only people taking new patients in my area.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm keeping a jaundiced eye on Meta in case that creepy Metaverse gains traction (I don't think it will).

Is that poo poo even publicly accessible at this point? As best I can tell, there's literally nothing out there from Facebook, in spite of all the news and hype. On the other hand, hype can be anything but a shipped product has its limits. Maybe it's more profitable to never actually release?

(Meanwhile, VRChat is everything FB Metaverse could ever hope to be and more.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

VRchat had it's own meltdown a week or so ago, I;m not sure of the deets.

They rolled out an anti-cheat program that prevented modified clients from being used, which wiped a lot of unofficial plugins/add-ons that did things people were pissed off the real client didn't already do. From the look of it, the devs claim they have to do it b/c people were using plugins to harass / doxx users, while users are complaining that a lot of their custom stuff triggers a ban now. Looking at how heavily people customize their stuff in VRChat, it makes sense that people would be pissed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

that's exactly what the usenet grogs said about everyone who got online after 1993

Go ahead and try to explain to the audience how the modern internet isn't wildly different from the usenet era.

quote:

every major reiteration of the internet has been a net negative for usage and a net positive for capitalism and its overlords

While I absolutely agree with the net positive for capitalism, I'd also argue that modern(ish) internet (let's say, 1998 onward?) was a net positive for many mainstream users because (1) we could actually see pictures now, and (2) we were finally out from behind walled garden Compuserve/AOL stuff and could access more stuff. I am not making this up: I literally could not load pictures on my pre-1998 "internet" service. It was pure text + console commands. No mouse, images, hyperlinks, etc. It was also the only game in town where I lived; there were no standard ISPs serving the area, and long distance phone rates would've eaten me alive anyway if I did try them.

90s internet to now, I'd definitely take modern internet and all its data harvesting over going back to that era's internet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

adnam posted:

Being an old fart, I like the early-mid 2000s internet. I had way more bandwidth than ever before, I had enough friends/exposure to the metal I could reasonably spin up an instance or website and luckily everybody online was just as weird and introverted as me, and SA actually introduced me to a lot of my closest friends decades later.*

I liked that era as well, mostly because it was my first experience with high speed internet. Having any bandwidth was neat to me, because before that, the limitation was a 56kbps modem and long distance fees. I didn't have a lot, though; my university capped us at 1GB per month with $0.02 per megabyte beyond that. Still, it was way better than getting charged per minute.

quote:

There's always family wealth lurking in the background of these stories

Always is. It's like how so many popular influencers/stream personalities are able to make it work / go for big viral splurges because they're already rich.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

I also think there are opportunities groupthink misses.

Livestock Trading Thread calls the other side sheep. :v:

(I know, I know...)

Yeah, this is the active trading and/or degenerate gambling thread. YMMV depending on which side is more prolific in posting at the moment. Uncle Scrooge's Wild Ride or something.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Doing it like this ensures that we avoid developing an entrenched political class.

I love a good, German-style deadpan joke. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-shutting-down-care-telehealth-service-214850542.html

I guess Amazon got my memo

r.i.p. my shares in some non public telehealth corp

The article posted:

You’ve heard me say it before, but I believe the health care space is ripe for reinvention

There shouldn't have been a second time for him to say it, because he should've been drowned in a well after the first time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Start with 10k in yen and euros. :v:

Not the OP, but seriously - how does one go about getting that kind of $$$ without paying extortion-level conversion rates? Our credit card has no conversion rate penalty or foreign charge fees, so day-to-day travel I've never thought about it. However, I do plan to travel to Japan next year and would love to get their currency ~30-50% off while it's still soft, knowing I intend to use it for spending soon. :haw:

I asked Bank of America since we have accounts there, and they limit exchanges to $1K per month with a 1% conversion fee.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Speaking of dumb crypto poo poo, whatever happened to that version where you increased your mining odds by having more hard drive space allocated to it? I don't even remember its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DNK posted:

Ya, pmchem good mod choice grats

edit: condolences

The good news is he’s a good mod choice. The bad news, of course, is that all BFC mods make the mistake of reading the moderator forum and then vanish for months of introspection before resigning.

Stay away from the mod forum, pmchem. :v: