Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

A friend of mine has recently completed a degree (in radiography). Seeing as we started Uni together, I've got an MA, unfinished/abandoned PhD and have been working for a couple of years this counts as an achievement (in him getting his life together). He also has quite a bit of money saved and is planning on becoming an army musician in the relatively near future. Prior to this he'd like to go on holiday somewhere fun, I spent several months in Vietnam teaching English prior to going to Uni but never really travelled about all that much (got there and did some trips but kind of got into a comfortable rut of drinking/working/having fun).

We'd both really like to do some sort of motorbike tour but I'm really not sure where the best place to start is, primarily we'd be having to go this summer and I'm not sure how pleasant a bike trip would be in the middle of the Vietnamese summer. I'm also not really sure on the best places to go, tying in Sapa and a Northwest loop would be cool but that's going vaguely going off what I remember from 7 or 8 years ago. Not really sure what places are like now. Anyone have any specific comments on the timing of the trip (is Vietnam just a bad idea that time of year? Is going places by bike worse?) or the other specifics i.e. places to go and planning travelling by bike (any recommendations on the best way to do that if we end up doing so?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Oh no I remember sweating balls quite a bit of the time as well as getting caught out in a quite a few 'showers' that flooded the streets but I honestly can't remember exactly what months I was there (though I think I probably was there for April) and was worried it got hotter. Might let him know and try getting it sorted out, if anyone has any more local experience of the bike touring thing please let me know since all my knowledge is probably pretty out of date (when I left the classic vespas were just starting to gain popularity as an ex-pat bike and apparently Minsks have become less common among locals in the countryside and aren't as easy to get parts for? According to bits and pieces I've read on travel company websites).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I may be moving to Kuala Lumpur for work in a few months, are there any good places online to look at rentals there or even recommended agencies? Rents seem high on the places I've looked so far so wondering if I'm looking in the wrong places or of it's just that expensive.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Double post, stupid phone posting.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 26, 2013

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Prices will be very high online because they're trying to catch dumb rich foreigners who are having rents paid by their companies.

Kind of what I figured, would prefer to have somewhat sorted out at least have a few places to view before I went but I guess it's going to be best to do it when I get there. Thanks!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

In how many countries is the stock greeting, "Have you eaten yet?" It's like North Africa with the "How's your Uncle?" poo poo.

China has literally the same way of saying hello, didn't realise they had it in Thailand too.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So I now live in Kuala Lumpur (for the next year or so anyway). Goddamn I did not expect to end up somewhere in SEA where beer is expensive, I kind of hoped it was just because my work and where I'm currently staying is slap bang in the central business district and it was just downtown prices but work colleagues assure me it's all alcohol taxes. $6 for a Carlsberg is super steep :(

On the other hand once I've gotten settled into my job and found somewhere to live the plan is to head out and find somewhere nice to go diving. Sadly luggage allowance and the whole needing to take stuff to live meant most of my diving gear is not with me so I get to re-experience hire kit. Any recommendations for diving beyond the super nature reserve, book 6 months in advance places everyone here seems to have heard of? I am woefully ignorant when it comes to dive sites around here as my preference is wreck diving. Spending some time in warm water with pretty sea-life would be a welcome change from what I'm used to though.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So timely trip/life report: Am now resident in KL and happy to meet up, I'm teaching English in a private school here and have found a bar that sells goony craft beer (although ridiculously expensive). Honestly if there's any other goons here with a better knowledge of the place I'd love to know where's good but if people want to meet up I'm really happy to!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

The very same. You're not going to tell me it routinely waters down beer or makes money off child slavery are you? That would ruin my drinking fun here.

Also I don't have PMs but if anyone wants to meet up email me at nowher3man@gmail.com

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Brimmy posted:

I've been thinking of going to Malayasia after my time in Korea is up next February. If you don't mind me asking is your school a proper private school or a cram school? If it's proper private how did you go about finding it and what are the working conditions like?

Not sure how much I can help you there, the school I'm at is due to having met the guy who's setting it up in China. It's a branch of Wall Street English, which is pretty big in China and has just opened their first branch here. It's selling to professionals and adult learners, their big selling point being giving an English speaking environment. It concentrates quite a bit on encouraging students to hang around for a bit and talk to one another (thought that's less of a selling point in KL versus countries where noone speaks English). I know a couple of the other teachers here though work with international schools (since we have weird hours it kind of sucks for anyone with a family). I can ask them about how they got into those schools if you're still looking for some guidance.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Chair Huxtable posted:

I can handle any word being mispronounced BUT the word that we use to define how letters sound in words. Drives me up the wall.

Pronunciation always gets me. It's not pronounced pronounciation God damnit! In more relevant news Kuala Lumpur is still a nice place, having come from Beijing I still don't understand where all this air pollution is. Seriously people aren't going outside at times Beijingers would be enjoying the nice day. Just in case anyone was thinking of coming to Malaysia and was worried about that.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So I've got the chance for a few days holiday coming up in a couple of weeks and want to try diving in Thailand. I know there is at least one goon in this thread out there diving so can I get some recommendations? I seem to recall Ko Tao being mentioned as the place to head for, any recommendations for outfits to dive with there? Or places that would be better to hit up?

I'm already qualified (BSAC Dive leader) although don't have much of my kit out with me (luggage things and moving here, only brought my dive computer and torch) so any recommendations on what to rent, what would be good to buy before? (I'm going to pick up a mask but fins? wetsuit?). Hell is this even a good time to be heading there or will I just get told stuff was awesome 2 weeks ago/will be awesome in 2 weeks? Any and all advice appreciated, if you're there when I am I will buy beer!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

On a somewhat random note, my plan to go diving in Thailand got altered as my dad is currently in Vietnam and now so am I. I'm in Hanoi tool Sunday and then heading to Sapa for a couple of days in case any goons are up here and want to get drinks or something?

Failing that where is fun to eat/drink in Hanoi? It's been a full decade since I was last here (gently caress I feel I'm getting old)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

However, if I take lemonadesweetheart's advice and go to Penang, I'd probably have to go there prior to the Highlands and Tamar Nagara. Gotta see if all that is feasible in 10 days though. Might mean shaving a day off of Tamar Nagara?

Pennang is somewhere that is always highly recommended when I ask people in Malaysia about where to go, especially if you like trying new food. I think it would be worth shifting your plans around a bit.

Also if you're at a loose end in KL let me know I'm always up for a few drinks. My email is nowher3man at gmail.com

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So thanks to some unexpected last minute requirements for paperwork (I think this is Malay for 'you aren't paying any bribes you tight English tit') I am going to have to do a visa run this week prior to getting a work permit. As it's quite last minute work is willing to cover me going pretty much anywhere within reason but I've only got 3 days. While the easiest option I have pretty much no desire to go to Singapore (literally the only reason would be getting some mainland style Chinese food) and Phnom Penh is feeling like my most likely option as somewhere I would like to visit and haven't been before. So...

Suggestions on what to do with 3 days in Phnom Penh? Also where to stay, should I pre-book, etc.? Or is 3 days nowhere near enough and I should just gently caress it and go get drunk in Bangkok?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Budget would probably be a couple hundred dollars? When I travel I'd say my priorities would be food and drink, I like eating in new places and trying new things. I am a terrible tourist, if there are some must see sights I'd like to go but I can't really manage more than 20 minutes poking around places taking pictures at a place. Local colour is always interesting provided I don't end up in a Russian roulette drinking contest. Accomodation wise I'd be happy enough with wifi and my own room.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Sounds like fun, welp I'm now definitely going to be there Wednesday afternoon till Friday morning if anyone there wants to show me some places in exchange for beer.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Tytan posted:

I'm at work during the daytime but if you fancy grabbing a beer or some food one night let me know. You have an email or something I can get you at?

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've booked into the Velkommen guesthouse that looks like a nice place. Going to be there from this afternoon till Friday morning and would be happy to grab a beer out two with anyone about. Email is nowher3man at gmail.com

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur teaching English, assuming the locust thing refers to food I'd be happy to show a goon around but I don't know if there's anyone else about here. Bangkok seems to be the happening hub.

Also that German girl sounds like a really special kind of dumb/sheltered. I knew a guy like that who'd gone to Eaton and was pretty much first time really abroad who just seemed baffled by things being different. He wasn't ill intentioned in anything he just didn't seem to have absorbed any kind of facts about, I guess life. Deciding to rescue a cat while temporarily travelling around seems like something pretty doomed to failure and tears before bedtime.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Go with that Vietnam one, it's super easy to pick up the SIM at the airport and they generally speak enough English there to make it simple.

Also note on e-visas for Cambodia. The website is actually incredibly impressive for any country but especially SEA in terms of ease of use and effectiveness. As long as you have access to a printer it's totally painless and just takes a day or two for approval (it also means you can avoid the pain of trying to find a place to do visa photos to the right size/background/etc. A selfie on your cameraphone with a neutral background in jpg is enough). On the other hand it's like $5 more than just getting it at the airport but the convenience is pretty cool.

Kind of wish some other countries spent that sort of time on making entry easy. Also I really need to get a new WeChat account since I stopped using a Chinese number and had to replace my phone and now cannot remember the password.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

eviljelly posted:

I think it's also an Old World/New World thing. Us New Worlders are used to cities being built in grids, more or less, which makes cardinal directions pretty useful. If your cities are full of windy streets that veer all over the place, it helps a lot less.

I grew up and lived in London and cardinal directions were never particularly useful short of knowing what side of the river you were on or what part of a borough you're in. Saying I'm at the north end of a road isn't helpful if the road sort of bends round and starts going east half way. Landmarks are proper city navigation although I'll admit that South East Asia takes it to that special level since most taxi drivers are from out of town and don't actually know any landmarks either. Kuala Lumpur is actually pretty good for this since drivers seem to at least know where most of the major transport stations are and I can usually direct them from there.

Beijing can be fun for taxis, especially when you go to the trouble of getting an address and even directions written out in Hanzi and Pinyin, hand them to driver, head off and 25 minutes later discover the guy can't actually read well enough to know what the hell you handed him.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I always temper my annoyance with local fear of escalators by reminding myself when London Underground first opened an escalator no-one would use it out of fear. So they hired a one legged guy whose job was just to rise up and down it all day to show how easy and safe it was.

The result was lots of people not using it because it seemed some poor man had even lost a leg using the escalator!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Senso posted:

When I left Vietnam, after more than two years there, I was in shock and the last few days are now a blur in my memory.

Sucky way to leave, especially if you didn't have a particularly good time getting back. My leaving Vietnam was a weird one, had a going away party that resulted in me having to take the middle aged American guy who was with us to the French hospital after he 'crashed' his scooter (read: was too drunk to drive and just fell over). We were a little worried it might be a heart attack as he had bad pains down his left side, was very red and sweating but it turned out to just be a broken collar bone. Then got to sit through a few hours of him drunkenly abusing the poor French doctor before dropping him home and getting back to my place 2 hours before I needed to leave for the airport, stepping over everyone who had actually come back to the place I was at for the party. Took a couple of Codeines for the hangover and lighted out with my few belongings over the bodies of unconscious dudes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Dear Malaysia: I do not want to hear a small choir singing silent night in a shopping mall in mid-November. Also Santa Claus probably shouldn't be listening to Auld Lang Syne. In mid-bloody November.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Jslan Alor is a good call if you want Chinese food (though more Cantonese style than mainland). If you want Indian and Bukit Bintang seems easy to get to Nagasari does some pretty good tandoori, decent naan and quite good Malay dishes. If you're scared of eating outside in plastic chairs there's Lot 10 hutong, which is basically a food court in the basement of the Lot 10 shopping mall. The stuff there isn't bad and it's certainly easy if you're not sure what you want as you've got a load of places in front of you. If you want a slightly more Hawker experience, heading out the other side of Bukit Bintang station takes you to Sungei Wang mall, there's a hawker centre on the 4th floor with some decent stalls, by the back there's an almost restaurant type place that usually has a pretty good selection of Malay dishes but be aware it's a buffet with no menu so you can pick and choose (and then be charged depending on what you've taken) but probably won't know what half the stuff you've picked is.

Away from Bukit Bintang area, an option that could be fairly good/easy is Sri Nirwana in Bangsar. It's probably the most popular banana leaf restaurant in KL (basically everything is served on banana leaves rather than plates) and does some Malay dishes as well. If you're anywhere near lunch or dinner time there will be a queue but service is pretty fast so it shouldn't take that long. There's another one called Devi Corner quite nearby that is apparently just as good and a bit bigger.

Both Bukit Bintang and Bangsar are quite short trips from KL Sentral which you can get the airport express into in about 35-40 minutes. If there's 2 or 3 of you it might be easier and about as cheap (cheaper actually if there's more than 3) to get a taxi to take you directly to the place you choose though. If you're going to try Malay food and only have time for one thing I'd probably recommend Nasi Lemak (basically rice cooked in coconut oil with sambal, prawns, dried anchovies and a boiled egg, usually) but people here regard Indian and Chinese food as pretty much equally Malaysian as Malay food so feel free to enjoy curry and roti if you want.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

I will be there for lunch / late lunch. I will also be in Singapore and Hong Kong so i would definitely like to try these Malay dishes while I am there. My plan is to head into town via KLIA Express and then use a taxi to maximize time to get places.

If you're going to try Bukit Bintang there's really no need for a taxi, grab the monorail to Bukit Bintang station and you're about a 10 minute walk from Nagasari or Jalan Jalor. Might be more fun to wander around than Bangsar (I'd say Bukit Bintang has a better selection of restaurants while Bangsar has a selection of better restaurants) harder to get lost in certainly. Also if you do go to Nagasari there's a craft beer bar across the road (Taps). It's the only one I've found in SEA so far so if you like good beer it's a last chance to try it :keke:

Caberham: I am still in KL and am more than happy to attemtp food touring. Shamefully the best place I've found for beef rendang so far was a stall in the Pavilion mall food court. I'm sure there are places with better atmosphere that are at least as good but I haven't found them yet. Bijan is apparently a slightly more upmarket Malay restaurant that a friend visisted for a cooking course that does really good Malay food. Annoyingly my job is rubbish when it comes to days off and I am working Saturday and Sunday this week so if you're around I'm happy to do a mini-goon meet or dinner or something but can't do a proper food tour (which is a shame because it's been a pain finding people to go food touring with).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

My experience of Cambodia was Phnonm Penh it was about $20 for VOA at the airport vs. $28 for the e-visa. On the other hand I just took a pic on my phone instead of finding somewhere to do passport photos and skipped the 10 minute queue for the VOA desk (you need to print out an e-visa but they'll just stamp it at the immigration desk). Basically if $3-8 isn't anything for you or getting passport photos is a pain the e-visa might be worth it but don't worry too much about it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've got to say based on the stories people were telling me of being in Cambodia when I was in Vietnam circa 2003, things have not gotten worse by any stretch of the imagination. Far fewer cases of people getting shot up at least...

Also Caberham if you're reading this, there's a Canadian girl living in Hong Kong visiting KL for the next couple of days, do you need me to weird her out and demand she take some Kaya back with her for a random HKer she doesn't know?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

caberham posted:

Is there anything you want in return? If she doesn't mind carrying, I can throw in a case of Gulden Draak/peanut butter cups/Cheese or whatever imports you are craving.

Friend of a friend who's lived in HK for the last 5 years so probably not going to get anything in return :) She's over to see a Canadian band at the Urbanscapes festival (and then discovered they're playing HK next weekend). I'll see about reinstalling Wechat after losing my Chinese number and forgetting the password I'll have to make a new account.
Edit: Done I'm MrNemo1 (apologies for LANning it up, I'll stop)

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 23, 2013

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So one of the other teachers at my school has had a bit of an issue with shortness of breath. About two weeks ago he went to the doctor and had an X-ray that revealed one lung was half full of fluid. He went to get it drained and got told he had a lung infection. Apparently they just got round to telling him he actually has TB and that's what the antibiotics were for and he should be super careful about taking them but he's probably not infectious. Also since we're teaching people from a number of different countries we should be getting tested every 3 months (that part does make sense and I'm super tempted to schedule a general check up when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks)

So yeah, South East Asia awesomeness. On the other hand I finally have a reason to say consumption a lot. I really like that word.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So correct me if I am wrong, but the Yellow shirts want to remove the government and enact an unelected "people's council" of some sort because they know they will lose again in the election?

Basically yes. Their position is that the Reds are defying the constitution (because Thaksin isn't in jail) and so in order to save the rule of law they must suspend the rule of law and should be appointed as a ruling oligarchy for the duration of the emergency. There's pretty much no way they can win the election and they probably know it. It also doesn't look the military is willing to step in again to give them what they want (at least not yet) so it's a question of whether they cave now and do their best to at least increase their representation or double down and try to delegitimise these elections by refusing to take part.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I like politics, unfortunately politics for most people in Malaysia doesn't seem to go beyond, 'we are a great multicultural society with no problems. Although if I was going to change something it would be to remove all these laws that give other races great advantages over us. Also don't trust Indians.' At least my coworkers are all pretty reasonable.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Protest street-food is pretty tasty.

So they're protesting that they are not represented by government so they're going to boycott the elections? I don't get it. Can someone Cliff-Notes this into something understandable?

Cliff Notes version: Thailand drummed up the veneer of a constitutional monarchy for a democratically elected government while the old elites contintued to rule as they always have. Enter Thaksin backing unpopular playboy/rear end in a top hat crownprince everyone else didn't want on the throne combined with Thaksin basically giving a massive middle finger to the entrenched elites. Also it turns out he has some vague idea about modern politics and actually appealing to the electorate beyond telling them you know what's best for them and they should shut the hell up. Long story short, we have an existential threat to the old ruling elites that is much better at democratic politics than them.

The result is gently caress democracy because peasants can't choose the right side but they don't want to abandon the rhetoric of constitutional monarchy and democracy because many have absorbed those Western ideals (but not actual ideas) and/or are aware of the potential international backlash of publicly going, "Thai peasants aren't intellectually capable of voting right so we can't give them the vote". So we get cognitive dissonance hefty enough to give your average US Republican whiplash.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

From what I've read the Crown Prince has Thaksin's support (and all of Thanksin's vassals supporters) but is pretty firmly on the outs with the traditional elites. Basically they've spent decades trying to control his actions, limit his influence and prevent him gaining power. At first because he seemed like a liability who would embarass and undermine the throne and then because it was clear he wasn't going to bow to them and they'd now spent 20 odd years clearly loving with his quality of life (so pretty awesome as opposed to doing whatever he wanted) and blocking his ascension.

Of course the problem is there isn't really any good alternative if the king dies in the very near future. The queen had something of a powerbase and could have pulled of a regency/helping the popular princess take over but she's out of commission now. Princess Siri could be an alternative but I've not read much suggesting she's angling for the throne or has much beyond general popularity. The king has also been relatively clear he wants the Crown Prince to follow him not her. So really it would be a big mess, the elites can't just get rid of the monarchy because as much as there may be cognitive dissonance that would be a couple of dozen steps too far for people to take.

Best I could see is the old elites seeking to minimise the role of the king post succession as much as possible while the new elites push to seize power. I could see a royal pardon for Thaksin and night of the long knives type poo poo. There's been too much time and education in deifying the monarchy in Thailand for the old elites to effectively block and sideline a new monarch that could find support although it would ultimately do a lot to damage the monarchy in the eyes of Thai middle class since I'd guess you'd see a lot of tacit approval from the palace for Thaksin and his policies.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

pogologism posted:

If anyone finds themselves in Penang some time in the next month (possibly longer)

Hey world of coincidence. I'm going to be in Penang this weekend with a lady friend. We've already got accomodation booked (and she's more into hotels than hostels, sadly as I think they can be great fun). Be getting in late Friday night and heading off Sunday afternoon, so far have put together a list of eateries to try from EatAsia blog, Bourdain and Time Out but if you're got any recommendations that would be awesome. I don't have PMs but you can email me at nowher3man at gmail.com Would be cool to grab a drink Saturday or maybe even Friday if we can get ourselves organised. We're staying in a hotel in George Town.

Also she was looking for some sort of cool, colonial-era looking bar if you know of any?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

In case anyone's curious quick trip report from Penang: Ate a lot, generally enjoyed myself, have a tan.

Foodwise the highlights for me were Oyster omelette on lebuh Chulian opposite the fire station. Clearly someone decided that if the best part of food is the crunchy edges they should just make all of it the crunchy bit. Also tried nutmeg juice which was much better than expected, if you like fiery ginger beer I'd recommend it. Tried hot puthu (steamed rice flour with jaggery) from a cart on church street and it was awesome. Line Clear on Jalan Penang was expensive but seriously awesome Nasi Kandar. Finally China House makes like a gajillion really, really good western cakes, which I have come to appreciate as never before since it turns out I really don't like Asian versions of baked cakes. They also had some really fun live music.

Sadly didn't get to try Tek Sen (I was very excited for candied pork) as both times we went we were confronted with a restaurant full of people eating and were told that it was closed :mad: Had a mediocre Assam Laksa from Joo Hoi cafe and a surprisingly pleasant Cendol.

Also I guess we did some sightseeing stuff. Cheong Fatt Tze mansion is pretty but you can only see it as a guided tour if you're not staying there. It's a 1 hour tour that takes in about 3 rooms, at least half of it was either talking about the 'science' of Feng Shui and it's role in the design of the house or telling us about how great the restoration project is and how they do bed and breakfast or the board room is available to rent for functions, etc. This was the reason we were too late for Tek Sen the second time round and I will be forever bitter at that nice old Chinese lady who wasted an hour of my life.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

On baking again, I actually don't care for Japanese baked goods either. Which is a shame as KL has far more than it's fair share of decent Japanese bakeries. I also do not and will never understand why an entire region that is too hot and humid for whipped cream seems to have decided that whipped cream is basically the main ingredient in cakes. If I'm ordering cake I do not want it to be mostly composed of artificial cream like substance that leaves an oily coating and taste all over.

I'd say Cendol (shaved ice, sweet sauce, red beans and green jelly noodles in condensed milk) isn't quite like ice cream. It's a lot lighter and I can see why it would be so popular in a hot country as a dessert. It would also benefit a lot from not having red beans which have become one of my biggest :wtf: dessert ingredients.

Also pau are a Chinese steamed bun (in Mandarin Bao) and are delicious. Although I don't really get the sweet ones that much purely because kaya/lotus pastes/etc. are so incredibly sweet that I can't really differentiate between them. Dominoes in Malaysia seems to be pretty much the same as Dominoes in the UK quality wise (i.e. not great but what you'd expect from mass produced delivery pizza) although I've only had it once here so maybe I just got lucky? There's also Papa Johns in KL.

Although in case I sound like I hate food here, I really don't. I don't like 90% of the desserts but I will murder the gently caress out of a plate of beef rendang. Only sad thing in KL is that the best place I've found for that so far is a mall food court since mamaks don't tend to do it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

The white sauce recipe (flour, butter, milk) is bechamel sauce and unless the proportions are really weird I don't think that's the white sauce I've seen in Wasian food which seems sweeter and a bit more liquid. I'm prone to agree with lemonadesweetheart that it's a load of stuff that shouldn't go anywhere near food.

Also the Thai protests seem to be getting crazy, the corruption commission is also apparently charging Ying Luck with corruption over the rice buying scheme so I suspect the yellows are beginning to make a power play and hoping to drag the army in with them. So far it doesn't seem like Ying Luk is willing to give them any grounds for military involvement though.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'm going to be going to Perhentian for diving in a month or so with Panorama diverts. Anyone here dived there before? It sounds like it's a very, very quiet place with some pretty but very relaxed diving. I've been offered a 4 day 8 dive package that seems pretty laid back from my experience of diving trips but might be good as I haven't dived in over a year.

Is this an accurate impression? Is that pretty typical for diving in this part of the world? Should I be allowing for a day or so traveling either side? I'm getting the impression that I'm used to doing stuff on a tighter schedule trying to got more in than these guys are used to :everythinginsoutheastasia.txt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Ok what you guys have said matches up with what the dive shop/wikitravel was telling me about the place. Quiet is ok even if I do feel the need to live up to having British SAC diving qualifications by binge drinking every night of a dive trip (quiet will probably be good). I was planning on flying to Kota Bahu or Kuala Terengganu (probably just depending on which is cheapest unless there's any real difference in how easy/long either is?) and getting the bus to Kuala Besut to get a ferry to the island. The only realy question I've got on that front is whether I can make it in for the diving in one night, possibly staying overnight at Bahu and getting an early morning ferry, or if I should budget an extra day of holiday for travelling there since I work lateish and so can't take a half day for travel.

I looked at the bus but a 7-9 hour journey to get there isn't really worth it if I'm going to be diving. I don't want to spend the first day knackered and grumpy although it may be tempting to try getting it back as it could mean taking one day less holiday and I wouldn't have to stick around Perhentian for an extra day before flying. Ah deciding between using vacation days or taking a 9 hour, overnight bus journey and then working. Almost makes me want to take a 6 months career break and just go diving somewhere awesome.