Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The 360 degree executive bar in the Bangkok Hilton (not that one!) has amazing views - I'm not sure if you even need a pass to get up there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

First off I have an unlocked iPhone so I would like to get a prepaid with a couple of minutes. Where is the closest place to buy a card once I get out of the airport?

Dunno about closest, but hit the top deck of the MBK for anythign you need.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah the Palace is always closed till 1pm for x reason. More than 3 people tried this on me so it was pretty comical by the end.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Lumpini park is at Silom, right? I'm trying to picture exactly where that is without resorting to google maps - am I close or being retarded?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ahoy friends,

My girlfriend may be offered a 6 month secondment from the UK to Singapore - I'd like to take advantage of this by moving to either there or Bangkok.

I'm a Freelance Web Developer by trade, which means I can at least be mobile for a change like this.

I have a few questions:

1. Visas: It seems I could probably get away with the 3 month tourist visa in Bangkok, and do a run to renew - but what about Singapore? Any ideas?
2. Places to stay: It seems Bangkok holds all the cards here really. Singapore seems incredibly expensive in comparison.
3. What sort of 'fare' to Singapore am I looking at, should I opt to stay in Bangkok?

Thanks for any help guys, and if I do move out there the pints are on me. :shobon:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you're under 30 and have, are getting, or will start a uni degree, you can apply for a 6 month working holiday visa in Singapore.

Off topic, but I'm curious what "secondment" means in this case. I came across the word in another UK book recently and my impression of the word is it means something like "to be drafted into", but I only saw it used in a military context.

I'm 29 with a degree, so thats good news - I'll get started on that link.

Basically, her company have a branch over there and she would be brought in to 'examine the cultural and working differences' between the 2 branches. Like you, I had only heard of it in a military scenario, but it seems to fit the purpose at least. :)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

DustingDuvet posted:

Thank you both for your reccomendations!

I'll try to keep my CV revisions to a minimum as to not disrupt your holiday :v:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Chiming in with the Singapore nerds, I move over on Dec 1 - pints anyone?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I havent arrived yet (dec) but gumtree is also a good bet for leads, as far as I can see. Give me a shout with where you are renting!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Singapore is actually more appealing to me to be quite honest. In my short time in Singapore I felt like it was more a place I would like to live/work. It essentially "has everything", including diversity, location and a lot more first world comforts.

I love Thailand, but I could see myself needing a break from the filth and corruption every now and again. Especially since my industry deals heavily in construction and applicable building codes.

I move to Singapore on Dec 1st, so give me a shout if you end up here! (This also applies to other goons)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

re: Malaysia - should I bother with Johor? Its trivial to get to from Singapore, but a few people I've asked have told me not to bother.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Balcony Chat:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

B-Rad posted:

Is this near Lumphini Park?

Tis not! Buona Vista in Singapore :)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I would like to encourage more posters to take part in Balcony chat :colbert:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

When I was in Bali I missed out on the mad 'poop coffee'. Trying to get some here in Singapore (and there must be some, I can get Irn-Bru for gods sake).

Has anyone tried it?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

This also owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNm7k2PUGzI

kru
Oct 5, 2003

friend request sent, will update on celebrity connections made

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I spent the day in Batam and it was pretty hellish.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Brimmy posted:

I can only see it in regards to Vietnam in the OP but what shots should I be getting for Vietnam, Cambodia, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore? (I assume KL and Singapore are safe and I don't need anything for there?).

You dont need anything for Singapore apart from a huge injection of cash into your bank account :(

kru
Oct 5, 2003

No kidding.

Hit me up for a pint when you arrive though :)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

SE Asia Realtalk: How many spoonfuls of this Milo powder do I need to put into hot milk to make it taste acceptable

tia

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, I've only had it cold, from a bag myself. In a fit of madness down the shops I ended up buying a tin of powder so was trying to work out the best measurement.

I think last time I must have used water or something because I just put in three tablespoons and it was rather pleasant!

kru fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 13, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

img-cryingmainlander

kru
Oct 5, 2003

This is also true of chicken rice - later in the day the better.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Can any other people in Singapore tell me the single best island wide place for teh tarik?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

xcdude24 posted:

It looks like nobody's biting, but I would search through here to find something worthwhile: http://ieatishootipost.sg/search/label/Teh%20Tarik

On that note, ieatishootipost is a GREAT website. I ate at a bunch of places that he recommended, and they never disappointed. Highlights included Nasi Padang at Hajjah Mona (Geylang Serai Market) and roti prata at a stall set up in Poh Ho Restaurant (Joo Chiat).

Awesome Cheers - might recruit the girlfriend if I have to high-tail it to Geylang though!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

its the dengue

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Very old, but a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5RxOrmSxw

This would get banned from the air back home, heh. Still cracks me up.

On my 2nd day in Singapore I was looking for a flat with a guy my Girlfriend had hooked me up with called 'Ken'. Unaware that Singaporeans (and the locality) tend to basically state 'Can.' 'Cannot.', 'Got' 'No Got', It was absolutely painful. Driving around the place while I'd ask an arbitrary question which was always got the response 'Can.'

I was sitting in the passenger seat of this guys car for 30 minutes, thinking he's just stating his name over and over.

It was weird, and I have since become less retated. :unsmith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I don't even want to put DEET on my skin, never mind choking down pints of it.

ReindeerF posted:

If you want to have fun, go check out the ThaiVisa thread on the topic. It's like an episode of CSI as imagined by the crowd at the pub in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine where no one actually knows anything about the subject matter.

This is EXACTLY how it went down. Bonus scene of Compo rolling down a tropical hillside in a bathtub full of glowsticks

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Those are p short shorts

kru
Oct 5, 2003

any colour you like posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get snus somewhere in KL? I haven't had snus for three months now and I'm starting to go crazy. My lungs are really getting fed up with my smoking too. I'm heading to KL in two weeks and will stay there for 4 days before heading to Nepal. Please let there be somewhere to get snus.

Ok so a quick google search yielded results! Apparently you can buy some at the 7-Eleven across the street from Pudu Sentral bus station (apparently close to chinatown and a hindu temple) and at Concord hotel. I know that mainly scandinavians use this but does anyone know if it still is available? I'm gonna cry if I get there and they don't have any.

A guy I hung about with in Penang nailed the stuff on a minute by minute basis, so it's there for sure. :unsmith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

A lot of people swear by Lub-D Silom.

kru fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 14, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm still trying to plan out whether I head home back to Scotland for xmas/new year, or spend it away from Singapore - Bangkok being my number 1 'go to'.

How many of you will actually be kicking about for a beer/relax across the holiday period? I love a holiday and all, but it's not the same if I dont have Goonbro's for a beer.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Any of you boners have F1 passes for the Singapore GP at the weekend? I have a cheap 3 day one so I can mince about and have beers etc.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Chocolate Milk posted:

Sweet, that's very helpful, thanks. What about Singapore? We're spending four days there on the way back and I know it's a bit more expensive. Would we be better off booking online in advance?

Singapore will probably kill your budget. There are cheap hostel rooms to be found in the $30/40 night range, but everything else apart from hawker food is pretty outrageous.

Picture $12 a normal pint in any non happy hour bar.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

It's around USD 24 a night for my go to hostel in Singapore.

Ugh, yeah I absent-mindedly converted to SGD (room price but not beer for some reason?):unsmith:

Happy to go for a beer/show you about the place if needed. I still haven't met creamy horror, to my shame so might be a good time for a party.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

You insult prophet wah?! :argh:

Speaking to a Cambodian guy who had both his arms and legs blown off in the aftermath, p sure he remembers

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Wires crossed, heh.

Yes :(

kru
Oct 5, 2003

SG GP last night totally owned, never been to one before so it was pretty exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Escalator coaches? There's something new. You made me realise, though, that coming from Malaysia mall food in Singapore and Indonesia seems all too familiar for me. Actually, this seems to be true for Australia as well. The most foreign mall I've been too is in Saudi Arabia where fried fish seems to be treated as something special.

One thing about Singapore I notice are the couple of sex shops (one across the Takashimaya in Orchard, one at Bugis Street) operating in plain view, which is amusing in light of its government complaining that their citizens are not having enough sex.

They arn't having enough sex because you have to fulfil a 17 point check-list before it's actually 'OK' in the eyes of the government