Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You can travel and live in SEA for relatively little, but it's a lot like Vegas- the more money you have, the better (and it's not hard to spend there). Having less money can be somewhat compensated for by doing a lot of research. I spend more when I live and travel in SEA than when I live in San Francisco or Washington DC. I find myself traveling and being more outgoing in Asia though, and eating out/doing more stuff, so it is what it is. 8k is totally doable for 3-4 months.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Here is a comprehensive list of people I have no interest in hanging out with or interacting with in any way when I am in SEA:

1. White people
2. Europeans
3. Russians
4. Americans (non-Asian)
5. Australians

Note: I am white. Exceptions include if you're there for a legitimate purpose like economic consulting or being a doctor or on a honeymoon

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're a cliche from the China thread. Welcome to the SEA thread. No one does this nonsense here.

Of course, the old cliches from the China thread that I don't read.

duralict posted:

I hope you don't like the beach

Easy to ignore people at the beach.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea obviously I was joking. I am a friendly person in real life. However asking variations of "why are you here" as the first or second question to raise to a non SEA who approaches you is smart considering how many people are forthcoming with their weirdness. In my case I have no interest befriending weirdos in Buddhist spiritual journeys or Christian missions nor do I care for full moon parties and the like.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Also, just curious, but how often do you guys run into Embassy staff? US embassy or otherwise. I know as Peace Corps we saw them on occasion because of government connected stuff, but I am curious how often others run into them since they seemed a bit of a reclusive lot.

Working overseas and particularly SEA, outside of certain consulting firms, is becoming a senior level deal. Most people I worked with and met in the embassy and other places have 10-15 years experience which means established families and quiet boring lives. I worked at a branch of an organization that is quite huge but only had an office of 46. Pretty much everyone but me and a handful were over 42. This is a big change from even 10 or 15 years ago- basically a result of lowering overhead through country-ownership.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Are you saying as a whole this is the case? That's simply not true. There are tons of FSOs in their 20s.

In general, of course there are young people but I figured you meant people who could help with employment etc. which are generally older people than before. Where are those young people I don't know.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Editing my comment too, now we're all friends :P

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 1, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

My favorite tourists are the troublingly out of shape or non-athletic people who say they are there to 'learn Muay Thai.'

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Chiang Mai is boring. There, I said it. Sorry. OR NOT It has a night market, some beautiful resorts, but it's boring. Definitely worth a visit and a look around, but man, I stayed a week once and almost went stir crazy.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 6, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

These people are hilarious. Granted, when I was a tourist here I recall rural China being the first place that I didn't see English or any obvious foreigners for long periods of time, but just catch the bus to the outskirts of Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom or Pathum Thani and you'll be able to go days without seeing any foreigners. And that's, you know, within the BMTA area still, heh.

Yea exactly. Also, many areas of Thailand, from my conversations with people and existing there now, have become less shady over time. I got dragged to RCA a few times in the last year or two and it was largely dead. Soi Cowboy most of the time is just a lovely little nothing road with families eating noodles. The 'right' tourism to Bangkok (in my opinion) has resulted in a lot of new hangout spots that are comfortable and awesome. Lots of cool clubs, bars and emerging neighborhoods. As you mention, I spent a good amount of time staying in Khan Na Yao and there are white people, but sparing numbers. When I worked in Nonthaburi, very few, even though you have the CDC, WHO and others out there.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Hell, I am now entertaining a job offer in Bangkok that I was kind of on the fence about. There isn't much in Thailand that would cause me to say "I wouldn't go there." Indonesia/Malaysia/Burma/Cambodia on the other hand.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

*negotiating salary in job interview*

"Well you know, martial law is ongoing in Bangkok, how does this affect my potential pay?"

"Well we can increase your pay and benefits to compensate if that is acceptable?"

Yase, excellent...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Anarkii posted:

I kinda had a similar experience when negotiating a programming lead gig in Bangkok in January when the shutdown was at its peak. Even then, the offer wasn't good enough. I was really keen to get a decent job in SEA when I quit my previous job in Jan, but neither Bangkok or Saigon paid enough. So I accepted that cubicle life in Bangalore and taking a LOT of SEA vacations is better (BLR to SIN and BKK is only $100!).

Yea, true, I've seen that myself. The only reason I am considering this job is because the company makes 50+ billion a year in revenue, so I am confident they won't cheap out like pretty much all of the development field or many INGO/NGO/Government sector jobs.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Sounds like the last curfew, though there was a story somewhere that the Thai Royal Navy had taken over the Pattaya Police HQ or something. That can only be good for the country.

A client asked today whether the TV was broken :lol:

Honestly, I never encountered a situation where I felt better around the Thai Police than the Thai Military

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea, I wasn't in Thailand 10 years ago :P I have, however, been shaken down for help (i.e. their job) by the police twice in my ~1 year worth of time there. One after my friend had a home invasion robbery and once a motorcycle of mine was stolen. The military are always just around, doing nothing or being helpful to tourists.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

What is the reason for going now? Is it just on whim or to get some overseas work experience? Why not wait a few months and save? I personally wouldn't bother with an experience like living overseas until I have not only a good amount of money to live on each month, but also money set aside for an emergency. Like, for example, your renter dying or just not paying you anymore.

I am guessing it's impossible to save since all of your income is rental income you don't receive until you move out?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 25, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Worse than Pattaya, let me never imagine that. Then again, Pattaya is somewhat bolstered by Russians pretending they are well off and interesting people.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Farang and Away: From Teelac to Dakling

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I had someone mail me a ton of material for learning Thai. Honestly, the quality of Thai language products available in the states is a disgrace, and you can get really cheap books with DVDs and CD-ROM components for very low prices (of course wrapped in plastic to protect them, as all Thai books are :P) in or from Thailand. I got a number of materials myself over the years, some from Amazon and other sources and some mailed to me as previously mentioned:

1. There are several good iPhone apps to learn letters (Thai Flash, for virtual flash cards) or a few instant translation style apps you can use to speak to a cab driver for you.
2. Thai for Beginners, Benjawan Becker
3. Thai-English dictionary, Paiboon Publishing
4. Instant Thai, Tuttle
5. Learn Thai Easily, Chris Schrelber
6. Speak Thai- Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (learnspeakthai.com)
7. Thai Survivor Guide, Amarin Pocket
8. Also I bought a few CDs on important thai phrases that I listen to in the car and can be burned onto a smart phone.

and finally, and most awesome, are a series of flashcards by http://www.thailandfood.in.th that provide pictures, descriptions and visual aids to help with tones. Honestly, knowing how to get around (ask directions or give directions), pay for poo poo, and get food are the most critical things.

Most places have a Thai Temple that does Thai Language study for free as well, assuming your trip isn't for a few months.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 29, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The one with the ladyboys dressed like medieval knights?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Jakarta is a chill city with a great (better than Thailand) party/club landscape. The reason people dislike it is because, like the Philippines, there is a more obvious disconnect between the wealthy and poor and the traffic is somehow worse than Bangkok. I mean look, there really haven't been many terrorist activities in Indonesia in the last few years. A good handful of the terrorist incidents involve disputes between local police and drug dealers anyway, or grievances in Papua (a horrible place with 100% of women experiencing physical, sexual or other violence). A handful of Australians have been killed since 2000, but I can't recall any Americans at all being killed in any specific incident. I am sure there has likely been at least one, but I just checked the online terror database and didn't see any.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

A lot of how countries get rated is based on their major city. I mean not entirely, but if the stepping off point sucks then people tend to poo poo on your country in my experience. Exceptions are countries where the major city isn't the primary port of tourist entry (e.g. Cambodia). Jakarta, like Manila, apparently sucks. I know expats who like it for various reasons, but even they agree it's a shithole.

I dunno, I've spent time in Manila and it has some very nice areas, like Makati (the obvious moneyed area).

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think the normal ratio for Aus:American deaths abroad is about 4:1 so maybe we're due.

My work actually produces a document on likely terrorist areas based on previous attacks. So certain markets, villages etc. It's weird but also strangely nice to have.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Still insubstantial yes. To me at least. Let's just say the odds, even in a country like Indonesia, are hugely low to the point of being irrelevant, for being killed by an international terror event. So low as to be easily ignored.

You drive on SEA roads and you run a huge risk from just inattention or crazy taxi drivers. You eat food that isn't inspected by health agencies as they are (at least in part) in the States. You take risks every single day you enter an older building that likely isn't to anyone's code. The risks of terror are lower than all of them by 100-fold.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Senso posted:

Meh, apart from the terrorism, all of that applies to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand too. A buddy I worked with in Saigon has been in Jogjakarta for almost a year now, he likes it. I was there for two weeks and loved that city.

Yea, 7 Americans have died in attacks since 2000 (maybe there are more, but probably not more than 2) and 7 Americans just died to some random douchebag killer in Santa Barbara. Are you safe anywhere? Not really. But you don't sweat it unless it's terrible, like Afghanistan or something.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Hopefully the government is putting those lines under heavy surveillance.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea, friends say KFC has become the locus of anti-American ire. People are boycotting KFC, a traditional favorite of Thais.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"All we want is to sell you cheap, awful chicken and rice dishes. THINK OF THE CHILDREN"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

First time I stayed in Bangkok I had to cover my own rental and it was 30,000 Baht a month, second time was years later and the company let me stay at a house they owned on the river for like 4x that. If I were still single the second time, imagine all of the backpackers I could lure to my sexatorium/pizzaria. Too bad if I move back I would be too cheap to afford anything close to that again.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I wouldn't even do an 8+ hour bus ride in the US. Just pay for the quick transport FFS

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

caberham posted:

When you don't even make one token shout out to history and culture, you are hitting the sexpat radar big time

Why? I regularly travel just to be somewhere new, hang out in a nice environment, dance and drink and eat. I don't care about the culture or history of untold places on Earth and in my travels to dozens and dozens of countries and Islands have often not bothered to see any cultural icons a number of times. Doesn't mean I am a sexpat, just means that seeing a temple sometimes means you've seen many others like it. I was far more interested in seeing the Karst Topography of the Chinese waterways/lakes/coast, or the deep rainforest of South America than I was in hearing about La Violencia or visiting Tienanmen Square. I realize it makes me a cultural heathen to say I was more interested in playing soccer with locals around Camp Nou than seeing anything Gaudi built in Barcelona. Pretending to be interested in Wat after Wat gets old, honestly, and there's nothing wrong with saying you're visiting SEA to be with nice people, different food, good currency exchange and nice beaches. That dude was definitely a sexpat though nonetheless (just not me, I'm not a sexpat, just that dude is)

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Still amazes me to read that site and hear the comments about 'do-gooder (NGO workers, visiting doctors, researchers etc.) infestations.'

Alright, let's have them all leave at once and see how things turn out for you.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 7, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I would smell his dick, just to be sure.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Which one of you is a prostitute is what I want to know

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Koh Mak and a few smaller islands nearby are cool too, but getting there is a pain.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I tried to find some Magic events but failed last time I was there. :/ Most places listed online are out of date.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

If I get this job and move there for 2-3 years I will bring out like 30-40 modern board games in the shipping container fo sho'

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Living in Bangkok or Jakarta or Singapore with an unmarried partner is tough business, with the odds stacked heavily against. Or at least that is what I always tell people.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

If you got boobs I bet goons will listen all night long even if you cry

Boobs

I'm mature really IRL (just not here (only real life))

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Hua Hin actually strikes me as the most normal beach city in Thailand in terms of finding foreigners who aren't totally creepy sexpats. You'll see white dudes riding bikes and generally not being drunk or creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Honestly, most (all?) floating markets are the absolute worst attractions in Thailand. I advise everyone ever going to Thailand to skip them unless it's something like the 'not really a floating market' floating market in Bangkok operated by the monks. The one in Pattaya is especially odious. The amphibious boat is terrible, the water is vomit inducing, there are dead mice littering the strip around the restaurants. There is zero cultural value in visiting one in Thailand, whereas the kind of 'get in a boat and go shopping amongst other boats' style floating markets of Vietnam are more what people probably want to see.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2014