Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
My bank has a pretty nice app that makes transfers between accounts easy as hell (which is my main online banking task). I guess I might have to upgrade from my unlocked Nokia brick phone to get something that has basic web-browsing functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Every poo poo mall, market or Big C common area has some dude hawking used notebooks and PCs for nothing.

Nice, I'll definitely be on the look out for that. Thanks!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

CronoGamer posted:

Does Thailand have 3G in most places? You have free access to unlimited 3G in most countries with a Kindle to download new books and poo poo, but what a lot of people don't realize is that the Kindle has a web browser built in, too. It's slow as gently caress, and typing can take a while, but it's great to have in a pinch. I bring it when I'm traveling anywhere now, half for the books but half to be able to access Gmail anywhere with a phone signal.

Good point! I mean, my Kindle 2 is old as hell and not international, but I guess this as good of a reason as any other to upgrade! After searching, it looks like it's slow as hell (in Thailand), but that's better than nothing!

Edit: YES!!, tried (in the US with my old kindle) to access the mobile site of my bank, and it worked! Probably will be slower in Thailand. Plus, bigger screen than an iPod touch and has a keyboard!

moflika fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 29, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember from my last trip, but are most internet cafes running windows or linux? And do owners bitch about you downloading software on there (iTunes) quickly to get something done? This would be in rural Thailand if that makes a difference.

I have memories of crazy amounts of gaming taking place in internet cafes (which would mean Windows for sure), but I'm guessing that was in Vietnam :tubular:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Ok cool, in that case I should have no problems.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Just in case anybody was wondering, the Thai-English talking dictionary app from Paiboon publishing (same people behind the Thai for Beginners series for iphone/ipod touch/ipad is pretty drat bomb. I'm definitely going to get some mileage out it it while I'm in Thailand.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Milk posted:

Hmm, can you elaborate on Halong Bay? (and anyone else who's been there I guess?)

My boyfriend's put it on his list of 'must dos' for our 6 week trip in Jan/Feb, but it does sound super touristy and obviously going to northern Vietnam is going to take time.

Halong bay is touristy as hell, but it's an UNESCO world heritage site for a reason. Everyone gets ripped off, just make sure you don't get hit as hard. Do your research etc etc. I thought we got a bad price until we talked to some other people on the boat... :drat: We did just fine!

Me and my 2 friends chose to go for the 2 night option, and we were given 2 choices for the second day: Get put on a resort island, or get an extra full day of kayaking. Since we did a bit of kayaking on the first day, EVERYONE on the boat went for the resort island option. We chose the kayaking option and I have no doubt that we lucked out.

Since my small group were the only ones to go for it, we basically each got our own kayak and had a small boat with a staff 3 guys around our age (mid 20s) to take us all over the place at a no-rush pace while they cooked up a storm 10x better than what was on the big boat.

Like many things in SEA, you get out what you put in. We enjoyed relaxing on our own boat in the middle of some seriously crazy views, but also shot the poo poo with our crew after we realized that we were only taken there because one of the guy's had a girlfriend who lived in one of the nearby floating villages.

Most of the tour options seemed the same across all companies, so I would suggest avoiding options that trap you like the luxury island stuff, and try not to come off too clueless when shopping around. You'll get ripped off, but realize that it's not much and try to minimize it.

moflika fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 11, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I know that some things are better purchased before leaving home, but would glasses be something that could be had for cheaper in Thailand
than in the US? This would be for an extra pair of all-day prescription glasses.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Yes, get them here. Look for the shop with the attractive women in sailor outfits. You can't miss them, they're every 5 feet. If there's anything that screams expertise in optometry, it's attractive women in sailor outfits.

Considering that this is Thailand, I can't tell if you're serious or not :-/

Awesome though, sounds like everything aside from non-knockoff electronics and clothes are hot deals. Well, more or less...

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Hmmm, I would say that it's time to push your flight back a bit. If I remember correctly, this is high season time. My app took 3 weeks and I sent it to the consulate in LA (from N. CA), not the embassy. That was with money order and express envelopes for there and back included. Who knows, maybe embassies have their poo poo together :unsmith:

Then again, the embassy is technically on Thai soil, so... "This is [still] Thailand" :smith:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Do you Americans in SEA recommend registering with the Dept. of State (STEP, I think it's called) before traveling? I'll be gone for a long rear end time, if that makes a difference.

Seems like a good thing overall, but I can't help thinking that it may backfire somehow. Guess I'm a bit paranoid after being questioned and searched for over an hour last time I returned to the US. Never again will I mention the fact that I was gone for 2 years...

Actually, how do you expats act when you return to the US for a short trip? Just act like you came back from a short trip overseas? I assumed they would know the last time I departed and would press hard if I lied.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll be out in the sticks, so I might have to look these provincial deputies up. Thanks

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I'll still be around other farang at the start, so it'll be easy to get the word out when poo poo goes down. I have ended up in the middle of nowhere with nothing but locals before, so I'll just go ahead and do it at this point. Luckily, Chaing Mai province is worlds apart from Mindanao.

Should be good for when I inevitably cause Somchai to lose face, and watch things go downhill fast after he flips the gently caress out. Kidding, of course...

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Is there even a reason to grab a taxi into BKK central now that the rail link exist? I'm arriving during the day.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Anybody know a site where you can still print out a legit looking onward flight itinerary without going through the complete purchase process? Expedia used to be the place, but they've updated and that's a no go now.

Ugh, felt pretty scummy typing that out...

edit: Just going to buy a cheap Air Asia ticket

moflika fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2013

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
One more day before I'm off!

I'm going to need to get an EU(round prong)/US plus converter for my cell phone. MBK is the first place that springs to mind, but I'm guessing they still do bag inspections there? Any other places I can get something like that?

I'm just burning time before the night bus to Chiang Mai, so I'll have my full bag with me. Not into unloading the whole drat thing at a checkpoint. No, I'm not "that guy" with the 80L bag... it's 35L :/

BTW, nice Silom write-up, Sheep-Goats! Definitely going to try some of that food out.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Welp, new iPod Touch got stolen on my flight to Taipei while asleep or in the bathroom. poo poo was in a travel case and in the magazine pouch area. I guess I should've been more paranoid, but still... harsh.

At least rural N.Thailand is really nice :unsmith:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
100 Baht, 1 hour massage out in countryside... drat!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
How crazy is 2 weeks on Penang Island? It's time for a visa run in Thailand, and instead of doing the Burma or Laos thing, I'm thinking of Penang. Definitely deciding with my stomach on that one.

I'm more about posting up at a spot and slowly exploring and eating myself to death. 2 weeks seems like a bit much, but since I most likely will be heading home earlier than planned I just want to chill, save money, eat, and head over to Singapore when it's fly time. Am I going to die of boredom??

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff. I'll make sure to at least throw KL into the mix.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Cheesemaster200 posted:

You could spend more then 3-4 days in Penang if you branch out of Georgetown a bit. The island has a lot to explore.

O, when I mentioned 2 weeks, that definiely included side trips on the island. I'm not expecting much out of the national park, but it should fill up a day.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who has been to Chiang Mai Airport: Is it one of those airports that is open more or less 24/7 to allow late flights, or do they close up and kick everyone out?

I have an early flight and don't want to get a room for a few hours of lovely sleep. I mean Chiang Mai isn't rough or anything, so I could just bum around... assuming Songkran hasn't already started around those parts on the 9th of April hahha.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
200B is the bare minimum for a room if you get lucky these days. More likely 250+. Plus, when you start asking a red truck for the airport (rear end end of CM that they never want to go to) at 6am they will see whats up and start asking 100+ for what should be a 20B/30B max ride.

Sure, I'm being a cheapass, but there are much better ways to trow around money haha. Rather just settle for sub par sleep in an airport if possible.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
drat, should be no surprise, really. Guesthouse it is then!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Rynder posted:

Also a more open question - how do people find travelling solo? If I go it'll be my first time travelling alone (because I have no friends). Or uh, I don't suppose anyone else will be there during that time.

Its not for everyone, but if there is one region in the world that is made for it... its SEA! Seriously, there will always be willing solo travelers around to join you, no matter what time of year. I've never done this, but have heard it recommended enough: Just hang around hostel lobbies/internet cafes. Plus, when fools start dragging you down, you can just part ways. Best of both worlds, really! Solo is the way to go.

Scratch that "not for everyone" business. That applies more to places that aren't packed to the teeth with backpackers like the US and Europe.

edit: The first time I went to SEA, it was with a really good friend of mine. Love the guy to death and had a great time, but spent way more than I wanted on rooms, because this guy always wanted loving aircon. When it came to food I eventually had to ditch him all the time because I was getting tired of over-priced red/green curry made for white people and lovely burgers. Second time was solo, and it felt like I was visiting an entirely different Thailand hahaha

moflika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2014

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

"Fun" fact: this happens nearly once every month in Thailand, on average.

:stare: Definitely going to be much more nervous the next time I inevitably take a BKK-CM night bus!

edit: I really shouldn't be at all surprised by this. Sabai Sabai...

moflika fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2014

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Please tell me you've seen something like this.

http://humanitariansoftinder.com

Also known as: "People I met in Chiang Mai" :mmmhmm:

moflika fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 9, 2014

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

zgrowler2 posted:

probably mostly Khon Kaen and Pattaya.

:homebrew::a2m::homebrew:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Look at this Thai music blog with English descriptions after you click the albums and song samples geez

http://monrakplengthai.blogspot.com/?m=1

That blog has been feeding my luk tung addiction since ~2010!

http://aseam.info/ for more of the same, but also from the rest of the region!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Somebody stole my brand new iPod from the magazines etc pocket while I was sleeping on my flight to BKK. Didn't realize it until we landed. Worldnomads counted it as lost baggage and refunded me the price of the iPod and case with no real fuss. I just sent them proof of purchase (order confirmation from email), and that was that. No complaints here :)

Would have been a waste of money had I not gotten jacked, hahaha.