Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Applying for a India Visa has got to be the most painful thing I’ve ever done in my whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Per the instructions on India International Travel Information I need to go here India e-Visa. That's fine but what great is the US isn't on their list for approved E-Visa Countries and it bombs out on me with an error that says error.

I've also gone with the Regular/Paper Visa Application but what's weird is I don't get any kind of confirmation email, no passport photo or anything similar asked nor am I asked for payment. Everyone else I know had the exact opposite experience. I am able to check the status which says pending. Great.

My plane tickets are non-refundable and my flight leaves April 18th. Hopefully that's enough time to sort this out.

EDIT - Here's the error I get

Your Application has not been accepted as per the eligibility for e-Visa Service.
You may be eligible for a regular visa. Please visit http://indianvisaonline.gov.in

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 13, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

simplefish posted:

How long is left to run on your passport before it expires?
Have you been to Pakistan?
Did you say that you or your family were Muslim?

Under ten years before it expires, never been to Pakistan and I'm selecting Christian. No criminal record, never denied entry, etc.

What's also great is the support phone number doesn't work. I sent them a mail.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

simplefish posted:

I'm stumped then. It's worked every single time effortlessly for me and my wife and a friend of ours.

e: at which stage does it give you an error?

At the very end right before submission.

What did everyone put for "Address of relatives/business associates/contact persons at places of visit" and what is the PIN Code supposed to be?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

caberham posted:

The Indian e visa is super easy man.

Don’t be silly

I tried it for the dozenth time on a different computer and with Internet Explorer!

Who would have thought that would have worked!?!?!?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I’m landing in Bangkok at 10AM next Tuesday and leaving the following Sunday at 1PM. Is it reasonable to stay in the city and goto Pattaya? It’s freezing -10f and the beach sounds great.

Obviously, I like to party as much as anyone else but I’d prefer to mingle with locals during the day, experience Thailand, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Flyers on the internet tell me Pattaya is only a bus ride a few hours away from the airport. What’s the catch?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

simplefish posted:

Pattaya is poo poo, don't bother

I’m gonna need more than that, the internet tells me the main complaint is drunk British tourists? But all I see interesting stuff about Buddhism, ZIP Lining, Snorkeling, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Now, that’s really hosed up but now I have got to see this tropical Mos Eisley.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How's the Pattaya Hilton?

Or is there decent snorkeling with corals outside of Bangkok that isn't Pattaya? That was my main appeal and it's super cheap.

Any suggestion on Bangkok hotels is also appreciated. Hilton, IHG and Marriott essentially own me at this point.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 20, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Good replies all,

I think I’ll stay in Pattaya for at least two or three days depending on my enjoyment then it’s back to Bangkok. I guess my only last few questions are do I really need to book my hotels in advance? It looks like prices don’t really go up even the day before and everything is open.

And what is the best way to get to Pattaya from the airport? I’ll spend more time researching tonight but initially everything appears to be scam ridden. It looks like the best one is modern air conditioned bus out of the middle of the city... which I guess is fine but seems a bit complicated.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I ended up taking the Pattaya Bus from the airport and then a cab back to Bangkok. The traffic wasn’t nearly as bad as described but I suspect that’s due to the holidays.

I’ll post a full trip report later. If anyone’s in Bangkok and wants to meet up I’m down for whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Blah. I’ll be back on Monday but here until that time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vanilla posted:

Edit: My first time in BKK I stayed in Sukhumvit because I got some huge hotel apartment for next to nothing...BUT....Sukhumvit is a bit grungy. I found it to be hooker-central and where a lot of the go-go bars are.

The two big hookers places - Soi Cowboy and the Plaza - are in or right near Sukhumvit but in all honesty it's not that bad. Yes at night there are hookers everywhere but it is still relatively clean and safe.

It's a central location plus you're close to a bunch of merchant shops with loads of brand name merchandise - it's all counterfeit! - and street food. There's a super cool Middle Eastern area too which I highly recommend even if your just walking around.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 25, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are bars and clubs open?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yep, though I haven't scoped out the gogo bars to see if people are wearing masks in them.

More prominent pubs are being told to close at midnight, and police will come by to make sure that's being enforced, but it's really only being applied to places right on Sukhumvit.

I don't think anything is actually closed at this point, though of course some places have reduced hours.

Wow.

From a positive point of view, that's means life is pretty much back to normal just as you said. And extremely impressive if they're willing to let the Gogo Bars back open but then again without tourists that changes things quite a bit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If Thailand got rid the mandatory quarantine and did something like those Instant PCR Tests I'd book a ticket tomorrow. There's no way I'm just sitting in a hotel room for weeks on end.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 30, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thinking about this further,

It's a two-fold way to way to bring back tourism - work remotely from a nice Bangkok Hotel. It's also a way to mitigate spread, you are stuck in your hotel for over week.

That doesn't sound like half bad of an idea.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Heh. I honestly didn't think of that way... I'd want to know more about the restriction. Are you like completely stuck in your hotel room and not able to leave at all for 15 days entirely?

Edit - If Thailand wasn't in the completely wrong Timezone, fly over and join the rest the remote workers.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 30, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wonder how recent political events from Thailand putting people in jail for insulting criticizing the Royal Family to HK Protesters being swooped up at night will impact travel. I was thinking about checking out Macau and HK but now I'm thinking twice. :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If cases are coming back I'm really skeptical tourism will be coming back this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and can skip out on another US Winter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

No idea, but what's the goon tl;dr on Phuket anyhow? A little curious, all the weirdo Brit's that I meant merely described it as a smaller but much nicer Pattaya.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's good to hear there's way more than just a red light district which honestly what I was trying to get at because when I was down there earlier that was the only thing the British Expats wouldn't stop talking about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On the subject of seedy-ness has anyone ever actually had a real issue any of those RLD area's like walking street?

And I'm saying this as someone who's been around Skid Row and parts of NYC I really shouldn't have been at all. I never, ever even once felt unsafe in the middle of Bangkok or people watching around the RLD in Phuket at 3AM drunk off my rear end. And honestly, every in these areas has been pretty friendly if a little weird. The only problem I've ever had is ripoff taxis.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Boola posted:

Same. You won't feel in danger in those areas at all. Be ready for aggressive women/ladyboys grabbing your arm and trying to get you to go inside wherever they work (just smile and keep walking, don't be defensive back obviously), maybe some touts that are annoying, and for sure stay aware enough that you're not easy picking for a pickpocket (don't really hear of that happening much or at all though). It's fine.

Yea, I was there in 2018-2019? and honestly this never bothered me even one bit. US Strip Clubs are far more aggressive, shady and more dangerous than any club or alley around Pattaya or even BKK.

Boola posted:

You'll see (or did before the pandemic) families with kids and bus loads of Chinese tourists in places like walking street in Pattaya. Weird, but also very safe. Finding a bar with a halfway decent band and cheap beer on the corner of one of these places can be entertaining people watching for sure.

I don't get the negativity toward Pattaya after being there for about a week. I guess the RLD is pretty dirty sometimes but the stuff around Pattaya and Soi Cowboy is incredible and unlike anywhere I've been in the world. It's a such cool place to even simply hang out, drink, etc. and I think there's one bar around Soi Cowboy that has whole balcony that's above the main street. I kind of had a completely different impression of the area initially but the OP is probably one of the best explanations of the area - it's not some weird gross evil shady underworld.

Atlas Hugged posted:

:words:

Some of my friends have told me stories about going into a bar and then waking up the next day with an empty bank account and assuming that they'd been drugged. They can of course never remember which bar it was and didn't go to a hospital to get their blood tested. I absolutely believe they lost a lot of money though and just wanted to invent a story to cover getting drunk and buying a thousand lady drinks.

Heh, after I started going around the clubs in BKK I too went past my initial budget. :dance:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Pattaya is just an enormous red light district. I've stayed at an all inclusive resort with it's own beach and a place on the north side that was decent. But yea, it's kind of a sad town. The floating market is dastardly nasty, the animal parks are shady and sad, and there isnt much in the way of food to make you want to visit. I think it's more of a red light city per capita than Bangkok to be honest.

That... I didn't know but I still thought there was plenty of stuff to do that wasn't RLD related but there is certainly a whole bunch of that along with wasted tourists. :shrug:

Not sure about the floating market is or animal parks. Oddly enough, most of my time was spent eating food people watching while carefully hauling my drunk rear end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Couldn't you say that about the country as a whole? Not the cesspool part. But the sex trade being a massive part of the GDP so the government just looks the other way.

How big is it... really? Being honest, I thought it was just a tiny part of Country and all those lovely Asian GeoCities Sex Websites must have been fake. There's no way in hell they could possibly be real.

Once I visited I was wrong. Very wrong. :aaa:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Wikipedia, (I know), says it could be up to 10 percent of Thailands GDP.

Given the amount of older drunk overweight British men chasing.... or wobbling around Thailand after whatever bar girl they fancy I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it was a few points. :stonklol:

Granted, I don't mean to discourage anyone and the OP describes the whole environment quite well. Live and let live.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm thisclose to booking a flight. I'm sure things will be fine in 2 months, I just worry that something will blow up and it will get cancelled.

Phuket is on schedule to get to 70% vaccinated or more. So it should be fine.

Given what's happening in India I am still super hesitant with travel. Interestingly enough, ticket prices are still about average - $1200 round trip. My tentative goal is to spend Christmas around BKK.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 13, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It seems wrong to me to fly all the way into BKK and not visit the city.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If the same thing does happen, that's loving catastrophic. I don't see Thailand re-opening later this year if things get that bad. See ya in 2023 BKK.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A few months back, it honestly seemed some parts of Asia legitimately had COVID-19 under control. The more I think about it, for a Country like Thailand I hope it doesn't take more than a year to recover but I could see it happening if it gets as bad as India or Brazil.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Welp, so much for visiting Thailand this winter. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I’m under the impression it’s still October 15th without any sandbox quarantine.

Cases appear to have peaked and trending down.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That’s true and on the same subject… did they finish the Pattaya updates? Last time I was the whole walkway was completely torn up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-quarantine-required-for-10-countries-starting-november-1-as-thailand-delays-reopening/

The 5 I listed are here. I was just speculating on the other 3 based on countries with $$ and high vaccine rates.

:woop:

What's the worse case scenario if you land a test positive? I suspect you'd just have to quarantine for 14 days? It's super tight planning but I think I might be able to make a visit to Thailand in December if all goes well and in the meanwhile I'll try to see if I can a booster shot.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, they haven't said anything about COEs yet. If you still need one, part of getting approved is proof of insurance. So a positive test would be a hospital stay.

COEs?

Shammypants posted:

I think I am going to wait until mid to late summer to come out. I feel like it'll take a while for business to ramp up and some semblence of 'fun' to be restored. Some will happy fast, but not all.

I'll make my final decision to visit sometime around late November but I won't hold my breathe either. Honestly, it'd be fun to visit without all the crowds of tourists.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 13, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Misread the above post.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 15, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Coronavirus sucks, but they haven't even hit their second wave. I'm thinking the re-opening isn't going happen or it won't be worth the visit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shammypants posted:

People going to Thailand who aren't going for family or friends are doing so at pretty great risk of wasting their time. Not sure why anyone would ever bother to schedule a winter trip this year, especially since for the first time in forever tickets in Winter are more expensive than Summer from the US/EU.

You are not wrong. United is asking me for an extra $500+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse but has anyone here taken or know of any good coding boot camps offered in Bangkok? Any specific recommendations? I recognize a lot of them have closed but it looks like some are starting to re-open and they're much, much cheaper compared to the US States.