Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

It's too bad, cause it's a pretty simple and elegant geometric symbol and you just can't use it (at least in Western culture) anymore. This shape is simply not allowed. How weird

But that's how it is. I just had this discussion with a student who designed a project that included two identical "lightning bolts" in its form. That's another one you just can't do

so what you’re saying, sagebrush, is that you admire swastikas and ss symbols. concerning…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

It's too bad, cause it's a pretty simple and elegant geometric symbol and you just can't use it (at least in Western culture) anymore. This shape is simply not allowed. How weird

But that's how it is. I just had this discussion with a student who designed a project that included two identical "lightning bolts" in its form. That's another one you just can't do

We should start reclaiming it. you first

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

It also causes some problems in the Factorio subreddit, because it appears fairly naturally if you need 4 90 degree turns.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Elegant? it's like a daisy, the last refuge of the brush-wielding coward. If they found still-painted cycladic vessels with swastikas and daisies we'd be disappointed by the insipidness. it's only the loss of a cut corner for gutless artists.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hof's method has been the subject of several scientific studies, with mixed results.
(...)
As of March 2024 there are 32 reports of people dying in relation to the Wim Hof Method.[13]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

goblin week posted:

Hof's method has been the subject of several scientific studies, with mixed results.
(...)
As of March 2024 there are 32 reports of people dying in relation to the Wim Hof Method.[13]

Mixed results: some people die, some people don't die.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sagebrush posted:

Even more so in Germany

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Not long after they entered the studio, Dave "Dixie" Collins accidentally shot himself in the foot, blasting off one of his big toes, whilst he was cleaning his favorite shotgun and was reported to be bedridden for the next few weeks during his recovery. This ultimately led to the band postponing their recording session with Steve Albini until after their tour in March and April.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The term has a different meaning when used by the Catholic Church or under maritime law.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/transcoded/0/00/Taco_Bell_night.ogv/Taco_Bell_night.ogv.480p.vp9.webm

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTLKWOfgUM

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This does seem extremely worthless :hmmyes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c15O5XfXpdk

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Research
A study published in 2012 in Science Magazine reported on research findings that allowed for the airborne transmission of H5N1 in laboratory ferrets. The study in question created airborne H5N1 via amino acid substitutions that largely mitigated the devastating effects of the disease. This fact was underscored by the 0% fatality rate among the ferrets infected via airborne transmission, as well as the fundamental biology underlying the substitutions. Flu viruses attach to host cells via the hemagluttinin proteins on their envelope. These hemagluttinin proteins bind to sialic acid receptors on host cells, which can fall into two categories. The sialic acid receptors can be either 2,3 or 2,6-linked, with the species of origin largely deciding receptor preference. In influenzas of avian origin 2,3-linkage is preferred, vs. influenzas of human origin in which 2,6-linkage is preferable. 2,3-linked SA receptors in humans are found predominantly in the lower respiratory tract, a fact that is the primary foundation for the deadliness of avian influenzas in humans, and also the key to their lack of airborne transmission. In the study that created an airborne avian influenza among ferrets it was necessary to switch the receptor preference of the host cells to those of 2,6-linkage, found predominantly in humans' upper respiratory tract, in order to create an infection that could shed aerosolized virus particles. Such an infection must occur in the upper respiratory tract of humans, thus fundamentally undercutting the fatal trajectory of the disease.[44]

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

During a 2001 game with the North Queensland Cowboys, Hopoate inserted fingers in three players' buttocks and anuses.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

As a great man once said, "Oof (sound)"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rise from your grave (not to be confused with Rise from your grave!)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus posted:

Rise from your grave (not to be confused with Rise from your grave!)

They both redirect to the Altered Beast page. Good thing they've got the disambiguation, I guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i've been playing some gta v in a fit of nostalgia, and just yesterday i watched the lamar-roasting-franklin scene :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

prefect posted:

i've been playing some gta v in a fit of nostalgia, and just yesterday i watched the lamar-roasting-franklin scene :allears:

I’ve been playing it too. Low geometry and some iffy textures aside, it does not look like a game from ps360 era, especially with ray traced shadows and reflections

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shampoos are marketed to people with hair.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Hygiene posted:

As a great man once said, "Oof (sound)"

apologies if you already saw it, but if not, you're in for a wild two hour ride to some strange places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The surname Chebyshev has been transliterated in several different ways, like Tchebichef, Tchebychev, Tchebycheff, Tschebyschev, Tschebyschef, Tschebyscheff, Čebyčev, Čebyšev, Chebysheff, Chebychov, Chebyshov (according to native Russian speakers, this one provides the closest pronunciation in English to the correct pronunciation in old Russian), and Chebychev, a mixture between English and French transliterations considered erroneous. It is one of the most well known data-retrieval nightmares in mathematical literature. Currently, the English transliteration Chebyshev has gained widespread acceptance, except by the French, who prefer Tchebychev. The correct transliteration according to ISO 9 is Čebyšëv. The American Mathematical Society adopted the transcription Chebyshev in its Mathematical Reviews.[3]

His first name comes from the Greek Paphnutius (Παφνούτιος), which in turn takes its origin in the Coptic Paphnuty (Ⲡⲁⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ),

E: German Wikipedia has am extra 5 possible spellings that don't appear in the English.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 11, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the english language simply is not equipped for talking about men of arts and science

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
The eggs can also be called fart eggs, cock eggs, fairy eggs, dwarf eggs, and witch eggs.[1][2][3]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In 2019, xHamster reported a 100% increase in "pirate" related searches between 18 and 19 September.[92]

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The Unexpected Red Theory is a design theory asserting that incorporating red-colored home accessories can enhance interior design.[1] Coined by Taylor Migliazzo Simon, a designer based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,[2] the theory first attained popularity on the social media platform TikTok in January 2024, and eventually received widespread coverage across various design magazines.[3]

Critical analysis and reception

Design journalists and publications have created listicles to highlight interior spaces, such as houses and hotels, that reflect the theory.[4]

In Real Simple, journalist Morgan Noll wrote that "red is one of the most visible colors in the color spectrum so it has a strong ability to grab attention and attract the eye."[5]

In The Daily Telegraph, Sophie Robinson, a designer, criticized that “you can’t just add red to any room – it’s just not that simple. It can look jarring.”[6]

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Komojo posted:

The Unexpected Red Theory is a design theory asserting that incorporating red-colored home accessories can enhance interior design.[1] Coined by Taylor Migliazzo Simon, a designer based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,[2] the theory first attained popularity on the social media platform TikTok in January 2024, and eventually received widespread coverage across various design magazines.[3]

Design journalists and publications have created listicles to highlight interior spaces, such as houses and hotels, that reflect the theory.[4]

In Real Simple, journalist Morgan Noll wrote that "red is one of the most visible colors in the color spectrum so it has a strong ability to grab attention and attract the eye."[5]

In The Daily Telegraph, Sophie Robinson, a designer, criticized that “you can’t just add red to any room – it’s just not that simple. It can look jarring.”[6]

Incredibly worthless lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thinking very hard about "red is one of the most visible colors in the color spectrum"

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

Thinking very hard about "red is one of the most visible colors in the color spectrum"

It's right up there with blue and green.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Komojo posted:

Design journalists and publications have created listicles

the storehouse of human knowledge at work

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Alexandre Balthazar Laurent Grimod de La Reynière, a lawyer by qualification who acquired fame during the reign of Napoleon for his sensual and public gastronomic lifestyle, rejected the name mayonnaise because the word "is not French". He also rejected the name mahonnaise because Port Mahon "is not known for good food", and thus he preferred bayonnaise, after the city of Bayonne, which "has many innovative gourmands and... produces the best hams in Europe."[34][31]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Komojo posted:

The Unexpected Red Theory is a design theory asserting that incorporating red-colored home accessories can enhance interior design.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
James called his crew for a drill and to test a new self-bailing, self-righting surfboat. For more than an hour the 75-year-old man maneuvered the boat through the boisterous sea. He was pleased with the performance of the boat and the crew. Upon grounding the boat he sprang onto the wet sand, glanced at the sea and stated, "The tide is ebbing" and then fell dead on the beach from a heart attack.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ah, yes, the bathDOOM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

ah, yes, the bathDOOM

this was my favorite version

(also my favorite dumb thing about the bathroom is that the wallpaper is upside down. it's subtle, but if you know you know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zohar posted:

Alexandre Balthazar Laurent Grimod de La Reynière, a lawyer by qualification who acquired fame during the reign of Napoleon for his sensual and public gastronomic lifestyle, rejected the name mayonnaise because the word "is not French". He also rejected the name mahonnaise because Port Mahon "is not known for good food", and thus he preferred bayonnaise, after the city of Bayonne, which "has many innovative gourmands and... produces the best hams in Europe."[34][31]

haha i was literally regaling my parents about this fact a month ago