Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The group called themselves the Thursday Nighters, because they played the Midkemia role-playing game every Thursday evening. After some time, when the group changed and began meeting on Fridays, they became known as the Friday Nighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arses_of_Persia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spaghettieis was created by Dario Fontanella in the late 1960s in Mannheim, Germany.[2][3] Fontanella recalls serving his innovative creation to children who broke into tears because they wanted ice cream and not a plate of spaghetti.[3]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sweevo posted:

that whole article is a treat:

Lol, yes. Rotten apple guy's story deepens:

quote:

After losing all of his money gambling in New Orleans, Louisiana, he hitchhiked to St. Louis and had to run the event in street clothes that he cut around the legs to make them into shorts. Not having eaten in 40 hours, he saw a spectator eating 2 peaches. He asked if he could have the peaches, and the spectator declined. He then stole both peaches and ran away. Later, he stopped off in an orchard en route to eat some apples, which turned out to be rotten.[6]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This was the first and only time in Olympic history when animals were killed on purpose.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The gun-powered mouse trap proved inferior to spring-powered mousetraps descending from William C. Hooker's 1894 patent. However, the 1882 patent has continued to draw interest–including efforts to reconstruct a version of it–due to its unconventional design.[3]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Despite his good fortune, his relationship with his family suffered. He frequently told visitors that his wife (who was actually alive) had died, and that the woman frequenting the building was simply her ghost.[2]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, reading that was one of the biggest "how have I never heard of this guy before right now" moments :patriot:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In the following decade Pujol tried to 'refine' and make his acts 'gentler'; one of his favourite numbers became a rhyme about a farm which he himself composed, and which he punctuated with anal renditions of the animals' sounds.[6]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

While stationed near Paris, he was recorded as having eaten 174 cats in a year, and although he disliked vegetables, he would eat 4 to 5 pounds (1.8 to 2.3 kg) of grass each day if he could not find other food.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

There is no way that guy actually existed as described.

Look, buddy, it's right there on the internet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Upon witnessing the missile's landing, Summerfield stated, "This peacetime employment of a guided missile for the important and practical purpose of carrying mail, is the first known official use of missiles by any Post Office Department of any nation."[8]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You better be doin' something of historic significance to the peoples of the entire world out there!! :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Despite peace negotiations and the cease-fire agreement, the MILF attacked government troops in Maguindanao, resulting in at least twenty-three deaths in January 2005.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In the early 20th century, the popularity of fat men's clubs waned as obesity became increasingly associated with bad health. The New England Fat Men's Club, which at one point had 10,000 members, disbanded in 1924 with only 38 members, none of whom actually met the 200 lb. standard prerequisite for membership.[2]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Batman sought land grants in the Western Port area, but the New South Wales colonial authorities rejected this. So, in 1835, as a leading member of the Port Phillip Association he sailed for the mainland in the schooner Rebecca and explored much of Port Phillip.

When he found the current site of central Melbourne, he noted in his diary of 8 June 1835, "This will be the place for a village."[1][4][22] and declared the land "Batmania".[23][24]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Wh-...who are you??"
"I'm Ray"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Goddamn, Frank Miller sucked

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In September 2014 a cow was rescued from the Beans and Bacon mine after falling 4 m (13 ft) down a shaft. Rescuers enlarged another entrance and coaxed the animal out.[6]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How the gently caress did a link turn my monitor off :mad:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In 2006, Fiji Water ran an advertisement stating, "The label says Fiji because it's not bottled in Cleveland". This was taken as an insult by the US city's water department.[26]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Born           12 August 1930
               Uccle, Belgium
Died           5 December 2021 (aged 91)
               13th arrondissement, Paris, France
Citizenship    Belgian (1930–1974)
               French (since 1974)
Alma mater     Free University of Brussels
Known for      Tits alternative
               Tits building
               Tits cone
               Tits group
               Tits index
               Tits metric
               Tits systems

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The unlikelihood of a cellist's posture contributing to scrotal injury was raised back in 1974, but seems to have been overlooked.[5]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

They made some "spooky internet advertisements" for Halloween in 2017. This led to many customers feeling uneasy and was ultimately an unsuccessful marketing campaign.

Sounds like a success to me, is this like when they let the cowards win and dropped the Burger King mascot because he was "creepy"?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There are humorous reports of individuals using a toilet, and randomly pressing buttons on the control panel either out of curiosity or in search for the flushing control, and suddenly to their horror receiving an unexpected jet of water directed at the genitals or anus. As the water jet continues for a few seconds after the novice jumps up, he also gets himself or the bathroom wet.[13][39]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The liquid waste was brownish yellow in color, and had a foul, offensive odor. The liquid human waste went into passengers' eyes, mouths, hair, and onto clothing and personal belongings, many of which were soaked. Some of the passengers suffered nausea and vomiting as a result of exposure to the human waste.[6]

Happy anniversary to those who celebrate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thank you, I knew a goon was involved but I'd lost track of the thread many years ago :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It is common in some countries to celebrate the diversity of vegetable shapes, with particularly unusual items being entered into competitions. Many of these are judged by the ugliness of the vegetable.[12]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vandalism on a street sign, making it read "i Swim in Poo"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One year, while security guards were posted around the goat in order to prevent further vandalism, the temperature dropped far below zero. As the guards ducked into a nearby restaurant to escape the cold, the vandals struck.[14]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

qsvui posted:

• Unfiltered/Undermining frenemy
  • Over-involved frenemy
  • Competitive work frenemy
  • Ambivalent frenemy
  • Jealous frenemy
  • Passive-aggressive frenemy

Tag yourself, I'm Ambivalent

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Midjack posted:

the g-series agents were developed out of pesticide research; they turned out to be effective against targets somewhat larger than originally envisioned.

Resident Evil Secret Origins

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

also almost died like 5 times

C'mon buddy, even I have a better successful musical instrument invention to near death experience ratio than that

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 23, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Related terminology in the field of emergency medical services (EMS) is "gross dismemberment".[2] :barf:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The two men sold Truck Nuts through the late 1990s and 2000s, competing both in the market and in private, exchanging angry phone calls and emails. This conflict escalated into public relations wars, social media conflicts, posts on review sites, blog attack posts, and finally to legal cease and desist orders.[2]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

• 1959 – The Vostok Station (станция Восток), then a Soviet research station in Princess Elizabeth Land, was the scene of a fight between two scientists over a game of chess.[14][2][15] When one of them lost the game, he became so enraged that he attacked the other with an ice axe.[15][14][2] According to some sources, it was a murder,[15][14][2] though other sources say that the attack was not fatal.[16] Afterwards, chess games were banned at Soviet/Russian Antarctic stations.[14][15]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Former United States President Donald Trump has been frequently cited as an example of an extremely online poster,[5] during both his presidency[17] and his 2020 presidential campaign

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Only worthless because you didn't mention where it is, so I can make sure to never go there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's about what I'd figured location-wise. I know it's just me, but I'd find that hellish - I can't stand hot, humid weather, and I'd be fine if the high never hit 70, never mind that being the record low :ohno: