Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Inzombiac posted:

How does that make you mad? A gun is just a pin that causes a chemical reaction to shoot lead or steel down a tube.

A car requires electricity to operate, I think. I'm not a mechanic but they all have batteries :v

Me either, but my understanding is that if you can spark the initial explosion in the engine, it doesn't need further electricity. I figured if you can trigger a bullet, you can trigger an engine.

But I could just be dumb. The show sucked anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Inzombiac posted:

How does that make you mad? A gun is just a pin that causes a chemical reaction to shoot lead or steel down a tube.

A car requires electricity to operate, I think. I'm not a mechanic but they all have batteries :v

A diesel engine works peachy keen without electricity, and hilariously four of the first five results for 'diesel engine no electricity' are about the show making no sense on that front.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Your freaking brain and heart require electricity to work!!!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

Hey guys, don't watch Revolution. Two episodes in and I hate everyone in it.
After the apocalypse, the first warehouse that was looted was full of nothing but machetes with brass knuckles welded to the grips.

Those loving "swords" are embarrassing, when I was a kid I tried one and the finger guards just tore the skin off my goddamned hand. It was a ridiculously badly-designed item with no value as a tool, and little value as a weapon :goonsay:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone's in the mood for a lighter Halloween movie, I watched The Addams Family the other day for the first time in 10+ years, and it's still awesome.

MC Hammer rapping about the Addams Family over the credits is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Twitch posted:

If anyone's in the mood for a lighter Halloween movie, I watched The Addams Family the other day for the first time in 10+ years, and it's still awesome.

MC Hammer rapping about the Addams Family over the credits is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history.

I hope they get Addams Family Values in time for Thanksgiving :pray:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

Hey guys, don't watch Revolution. Two episodes in and I hate everyone in it.

I thought the pilot was decent. Then again I also give pilots I thought were bad a second episode to turn around, sadly this was one show that went the other way.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I just saw it on Canadian Netflix, check again

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Guys, Revolution is an absolutely perfect show... to not give a poo poo about missing.

It is a fantastic drama to have on when you want to watch TV but also want to do something else at the same time so you can pretend like you're a big multitasker, when in reality you'll look up during the credits and think, "Well, I missed 40 out of 43 minutes but I don't really care." This is a bit ironic considering that it's a show about the end of the world, a massive event, with far-reaching consequences and war and big drat epic drama things! And the audience watches this with the same amount of interest as reruns of Yes, Dear.

The next time you need to do something important and are looking for some noise to keep the terrible silence away from your brain, turn off the NPR and turn on an episode of Revolution. The terrible plots, acting, and production can make even the biggest moron feel intellectually superior.

Revolution: It's better than nothing.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think I read that is being added on November 1st

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meatwave posted:

Revolution: It's better than nothing.

The Buddha disagrees. Silent contemplation is part of the path of enlightenment.

SPEAKING OF!
Tonight I watched Journey to The West. I will admit that I am a huge sucker for kung-fu of both serious and goofy variety. They one is faaaaar over in the goofy category and is really funny. Some of the bits needed some editing as the actors deliver the same lines over and over hoping for a best take but then someone forgot to cut out the fat. It only happens a couple times and the rest of the movie is stupid and wonderful. Reminds me a lot of Kung-Fu Hustle but this has a better depiction of The Buddha Palm.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I know it's been mentioned, but I just finished watching Bojack Horseman and it's fantastic. It is HARD to get into. I only barely stuck with it. The first six episodes are watchable but not much more than that, but it really picks up from there when you/the show itself realizes that it's really a talking animal cartoon about deep depression.

The *wacky roommate* is loving terrible and every scene he's in is a comedy holocaust.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

The Buddha disagrees. Silent contemplation is part of the path of enlightenment.

SPEAKING OF!
Tonight I watched Journey to The West. I will admit that I am a huge sucker for kung-fu of both serious and goofy variety. They one is faaaaar over in the goofy category and is really funny. Some of the bits needed some editing as the actors deliver the same lines over and over hoping for a best take but then someone forgot to cut out the fat. It only happens a couple times and the rest of the movie is stupid and wonderful. Reminds me a lot of Kung-Fu Hustle but this has a better depiction of The Buddha Palm.

Sounds good, I'm way overdue for goofy kung-fu.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Reminds me a lot of Kung-Fu Hustle ...

It should, the director is the same guy who wrote/directed/starred in Kung Fu Hustle. The male lead portrays the role exactly how Stephen Chow would have done it himself, and if you have a physical copy the extras show him getting in the scenes and acting out stuff with the actors to give them more precise direction. It will probably have a sequel or two, due to no lack of material in the story and the piles of cash it made.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I held off on Journey to the West because I really went in a bit skeptical that a doofy CGI-riddled movie about an amateur demon-hunter could accurately mirror the actual Journey to the West story, as I've got a bit of a trickster fetish.

I was pleasantly surprised to be entirely wrong and stupid with my initial misgivings, and it brought the central themes and characters in surprisingly gracefully and subtly. I was still trying to figure out where the gently caress Pigsy was until the last few minutes of the movie.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

New additions in November.
http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/netflix-new-releases-november-2014/

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

The Blind Swordman: Zataoichi

Hmph!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sweet, now I'm happy I didn't rent Edge of Tomorrow.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

1redflag posted:

Sweet, now I'm happy I didn't rent Edge of Tomorrow.

I had the exact same reaction.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

The Rocketeer! I haven't seen that movie since it was in theaters. I'm surprised The Giver is already up on Netflix, seems like it just came out.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

CyberLord XP posted:

The Blind Swordman: Zataoichi

Hmph!

That the Takeshi reboot one?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
No idea, hope it's this one

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

CyberLord XP posted:

No idea, hope it's this one

Yeah, it most likely is. That's the 2003-ish film where Beat Takeshi brought back the dormant Zatoichi franchise playing the character himself. Previously the character had been played by an actor named Katsu in 20-some films and a television series over the course of several decades.

I remember the Takeshi version being rather good when I saw it, although to many people the Zatoichi character will always be associated with the actor who spent basically his entire life portraying him.

For extra weirdness, the 1989 Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury was a (loose) remake of a Zatoichi film.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

moller posted:

Yeah, it most likely is. That's the 2003-ish film where Beat Takeshi brought back the dormant Zatoichi franchise playing the character himself. Previously the character had been played by an actor named Katsu in 20-some films and a television series over the course of several decades.

I remember the Takeshi version being rather good when I saw it, although to many people the Zatoichi character will always be associated with the actor who spent basically his entire life portraying him.

For extra weirdness, the 1989 Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury was a (loose) remake of a Zatoichi film.
I think this is the one where he meets the two little kids who're being used as prostitutes right? Amazing blood geysers. And the painted-on eyeballs on his eyelids were hilarious

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The trailer for In A World... was great but the movie was such a let down. It follows a lady trying to break into the voice-over world and the hassles she faces. The premise is pretty cool but the writing was horrible, and when it's billed as a comedy it just doesn't really make it in the jokes department.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fork bomb posted:

I'm surprised The Giver is already up on Netflix, seems like it just came out.

I honestly never thought The Giver would do well as a flashy futuristic movie. I really liked the idea of leaving the visuals up to interpretation, especially in a story that relies so much on differing perceptions.

Unless I'm wrong and it's great, or I don't remember the 7th grade.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Rolo posted:

I honestly never thought The Giver would do well as a flashy futuristic movie. I really liked the idea of leaving the visuals up to interpretation, especially in a story that relies so much on differing perceptions.

It's not flashy really, it suffers from "lovely trailer-itis". Most of the movie is in black and white.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I once took a friend to see Zatoichi and he wasn't really interested in foreign movies with subtitles. He was slouched in his chair and walk out of the theater at the end scene. You know the one.

It told me a lot about his sense of humor. The movie owns despite the bad CG swords.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

It's not flashy really, it suffers from "lovely trailer-itis". Most of the movie is in black and white.

Does the movie also have no music? If so then maybe I'll watch it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rolo posted:

I really liked the future world of that movie, it was like a combination of a futuristic Apple world with 1960s New England.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really liked the future world of that movie, it was like a combination of a futuristic Apple world with 1960s New England.

Never having seen the movie, I'm curious how they handled the very end of the book with the futuristic setting. Wouldn't take much to make it work, but I feel like some of the impact/surprise wouldnt work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

I once took a friend to see Zatoichi and he wasn't really interested in foreign movies with subtitles. He was slouched in his chair and walk out of the theater at the end scene. You know the one.

It told me a lot about his sense of humor. The movie owns despite the bad CG swords.
Watch Blind Fury sometime with him, do't say anything about it - just see if he feels the same about the same movie, except played by Rutger Hauer. Might be an interesting thought experiment.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

1redflag posted:

Never having seen the movie, I'm curious how they handled the very end of the book with the futuristic setting. Wouldn't take much to make it work, but I feel like some of the impact/surprise wouldnt work.

The ending is way different in the movie and more blah Hollywood sci fi, but then I still think it was a good movie. Definitely surprised me.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
The 1st season of Salem is on Netflix. Reminds me a little of American Horror Story, lots of sex and gore. It's got 13 45 minute episodes if ya got a day to kill.

They also have a lot of actors from other TV shows in it, I kept having to go back and check IMDB to figure out where I saw someone from(ER, Terranova, Revenge, Tudors, Fringe, ect...)

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Go watch Snowpiercer.

gently caress everything. Go watch that poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vriess posted:

Go watch Snowpiercer.

I think that only gets added the 22nd.

Edit: Strange. They just announced a whole list of movies and release dates like a week ago.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aphrodite posted:

A screenshot from my queue list.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Strange. They just announced a whole list of movies and release dates like a week ago.

Saw it a few days ago, it's definitely on there. It's also a good movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that's good. I keep hearing about that movie and wanted to check it out.

I wonder if it's just that one or they dumped more of the list early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Vriess posted:

Go watch Snowpiercer.

This is the best advice I've ever heard in this thread. The story was really drat good, going to be in my top 10 movies of the year. Everyone should check it out. Also check out why it never made it to theaters or had any promotion at all even though it had an all star cast.

• Locked thread