Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Niggurath posted:

It was amazing how much they over sold the nudity in the movie (I mean the only reason me and my roomie even started watching it was due to the topless female on the cover), but then actually watching the movie I'm greeted with a whiny British kid who uses his time stopping ability to ummmm I suppose draw people. It really made me think he was just living out his rape fantasies and being a general douche, but hey, he gets the girl in the end and it was a rom-com.....so I guess it's justified?

Read "The Fermata" by Nicholson Baker. You'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

KONTROLL
I love this movie. It's in Hungarian, and is about this guy Bulcsu and a team of metro workers who kind of suck at their job and lives in general, and how they go about their life underground and dealing with weird Hungarian people, a murderer, etc. It's got a really weird kind of Dark City vibe to it, an awesome soundtrack, and is funny/sad/dark/weird/slapstick/drama/romance.

I watched this too and had no idea what to expect from it but I wound up really liking it as well. It made me want to look up more information about their subways to see what the movie reflects (but I didn't because I was lazy).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

La Dolce Vita was added today FYI.

This guy has an awesome blog for keeping track of instant watch movies: www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Monsters last night. What a major disappointment. I was expecting a suspenseful sci-fi thriller and instead got a lovely romance movie with an occasional giant octopus.

I felt like the whole movie lacked any kind of danger. These characters are supposed to be skirting this "infected zone" where everything is intense and lovely, and they're walking around like it's date night at the carnival, eating grilled corn with shits and giggles.

And then the end, for gently caress's sake - the octopus makeout scene - really? Really?

me your dad has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Mar 17, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but we just watched Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America. It's a massive (4 hour) epic crime movie, spanning different ages within the lives of a tight group of friends. It's got a great cast, with Robert De Niro and James Woods taking the lead.

We rarely watch long movies so we broke it up into a few day's worth of watching.

I recommend it for anyone into crime, epic movies, or coming of age stories.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched a strange little French movie last night called Ricky. Single mother meets man, they have some sex, a baby is produced, and the baby grows wings.

Aeronautical disbelief set aside, it was a fun movie and worth watching.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I started watching the 2005 Dr Who series. Am I correct in thinking that the show also had another "new" series since then?

This is the first I've gotten into the series and it's pretty entertaining in a corny British sci-fi way.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

casual poster posted:

With all these great instant titles I haven't had time to watch the actual dvd's netflix has been sending me.

We experienced the same thing so we reduced from the three-at-a-time plan down to the single disc plan. We also ditched cable a while back and haven't watched broadcast television in months. $10.49 per month total for our TV watching :hehe:

Thanks for being awesome, Netflix!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I thought enough people would be bitching about the PS3 interface for them to buy a loving clue and not repeat it on the website.

I need another Roku.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I called to complain a while back when they first changed the PS3 format over to the new visual style. They seemed aware that the overall impression was negative but I guess they don't care.

Has the Roku interface changed for the worse?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Rubber is out on instant and it's about as weird and absurd as one would expect. I enjoyed it.

This is the movie about the killer car tire with psychokinetic head-exploding powers.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Christoff posted:

So Trollhunter is really that good eh?

It's a really fun movie. Did you watch the trailer? I knew in an instant it was something I wanted to see based on it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd written off Breaking Bad after seeing a .gif of a character throwing a pizza onto a roof, thinking it was yet another zany situational comedy filmed without a tripod, but holy mackerel, was I wrong. Don't let the description fool you--it is a TV drama about drugs, but neither in a "drugs are awesome" nor in a "scared straight" way. The story revolves around Walt, a high school chemistry teacher recently diagnosed with lung cancer. Knowing that his time is short, he decides to make as much money for his family as possible before he dies by secretly putting his extensive knowledge of chemistry to use--cooking methamphetamine out of an RV in the middle of a desert wasteland in New Mexico.

We're absolutely hooked on this show.

Next time you want a silly comedy, there's a light-hearted series called The Wire. It's not on instant though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't think this has been posted.

The National Geographic movie, Life in a Day is on now. It's incredibly compelling and I would love to have an entire channel like this.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

True Grit, both the original, and the 2010 remake, are now both available.

Kick rear end is on there too, but I don't know when it was added.

We watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil the other night - what an awesome and original movie. I love a well done horror comedy.

In other news, I know Netflix has never had a solid sci-fi lineup in streaming, but now the category is bloated with all sorts of ridiculous poo poo to fluff it up. I mean come on - Austin Powers? Babe, Pig in the City? Land Before Time? Come on, son!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Trailer Park Boys has been on Netflix Instant for awhile but I just recently started it. I'm on the final season now and my god has this become one of my favorite comedies. Really sad that I'm almost finished with it, I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Anyone who hasn't watch it yet needs to check it out, absolutely a riot.

Check out the movie Fubar 2, which is also streaming. It's sort of a poor man's Trailer Park Boys in my opinion, but still very funny with some great characters.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So has anyone else watched the gigantic, steaming pile of poo poo which is 2-HEADED SHARK ATTACK? It's a shark, with two heads. Two heads means TWICE THE TEETH.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jul 11, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's one of the most frustratingly shittiest movies I've ever seen - but so hard to stop watching. I don't know how many times I yelled out, "OH COME ON WHAT THE gently caress!" while watching. I'm thankful I have a wife who also enjoys lovely movies from time to time.

I fixed my post to correct the title.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9C_ENfbO0

And no, that's not Jerry O'Connell - it's his less talented (similar looking) brother, Charlie. And Carmen Electra plays a doctor, if that tells you anything.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jul 11, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Any more recommendations for really lovely but entertaining horror/sci-fi? We'll have to watch Nazis at the Center of the Earth for sure but we've been craving more.

We finished our lovely shark week with Megashark vs. Gigantic rear end in a top hat Crocodile and it may be time to branch away from aquatic predators.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations - just started Nazis at the Center of the Earth and we'll queue up the others mentioned.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Another terribly good terrible cheesy movie: Dinosaur Island. Some army guys wind up on a mysterious island where they battle dinosaur hand puppets and bikini-clad cave-women frequently take their tops off. There's tons of tits and dinosaurs.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 29, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Younger folks may not know this movie, but the 1985 sci-fi adventure Explorers is available now, featuring a very young Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix. This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and one I didn't remember the name of until just a few years ago.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

For those with Roku boxes - there's a new free channel called Midnight Pulp, filled with all sorts of terrible and cheesy exploitation, cult, and horror movies.

The other night I watched an abominable piece of poo poo called Antfarm Dickhole. The title is pretty descriptive and it's one of the worst piece of poo poo movies I've ever seen. Here's a trailer (borderline NSFW)

Just recommending it for those interested in awful movies. This is a gold mine.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Sep 11, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

big business sloth posted:

can this get universal fuckin stat

I have no idea what this means :confused:

Oh you mean outside of the Roku. I see the developer is http://adrise.com/. Maybe an email to them might help.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Sep 11, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Midnight Pulp channel on Roku just got a new movie in called "Return to Blood Fart Lake'. Looking forward to this one. From what the channel tells me, it's a 'blood & corn filled sequel' to the original Blood Fart Lake.

Moderator please rename me to blood fart lake.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Oct 7, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We watched Hugo last night. What a drawn out, boring masturbatory piece of poo poo that turned out to be.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography just hit Instant. As someone raised on Animal Chin, I'm super stoked to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIaJRlr6-Q

The logo of my adolescence.

Also, the Charles Bukowski documentary Born into This is back(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94y4lApb-Fo

me your dad has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Dec 18, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone else having problems connecting to Netflix tonight via Roku?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

mds2 posted:

Troll 2

That's so bad it's bad. Not good bad.

I recommended this earlier in the thread: 2-Headed Shark Attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCN-bX4qNPk

It's actually entertaining in its terribleness and confounding at times.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is out now. I thought it was a pretty good, mellow comedy.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Everyone should watch Troll Hunter.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Netflix gains Cartoon Network and Adult Swim content:

New licensing deals Netflix has inked with Turner Broadcasting and Warner Bros. will bring past seasons of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim shows to Netflix starting March 30.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Queen of Versailles last night and found it surprisingly good entertaining. I found it funny when they went from such extreme opulence to a slightly lower level of opulence, and acted like they were now some kind of common folk while eating $2,000 caviar.

It struck me during the movie that it was that same guy who threatened his workers that if they didn't vote for Romney, they may lose their jobs. I looked him up, and found never acted on that threat. I can't imagine being so wrapped up in work. There's a point where your personal/family life and business life are no longer separate, and he regaled in that realm.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jan 17, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Pontypool last night. It was a strange, unconventional and interesting horror movie. The idea of the virus spreading through language was really great and original.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I was about 8 or 9 when that movie first came out and started appearing on cable and this fucker terrified the poo poo out of me:

Probably why I have a weird fear of cops now.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

And motherfuckin Arrested Development is due sometime this year, right?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I saw 21 new replies and instantly new it was because of the CN stuff being added. Fuckin nerds.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Battle Royale first, and liked it. I watched Hunger Games last night and thought it was okay as well. That is my polarizing opinion.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched The Grey the other night. It was a good, if bleak thriller and I'm just going to copy and paste the main plot here from Wikipedia:

quote:

The story follows a number of oil-men stranded in Alaska after a plane crash, who are forced to survive using little more than their wits, as a pack of grey wolves stalk them amidst mercilessly cold weather.

And after reading the Wikipedia article, I learned I should have stuck through the end of the credits to find out what happened after the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Any feedback on the new horror show Netflix produced, Hemlock Grove?

• Locked thread