Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

alpha_destroy posted:

I have a question for you guys.

I am taking a bioethics class right now. One of my assignments I have to watch a movie with bio-ethical implications and write a paper on it.

I could just bullshit a paper on a movie I've seen, but there is no fun in that. So can you guys suggest a movie on netflix with bio-ethical implications? Don't feel the need to explain said implications in an epistle, I do not need help on the actual homework, I am asking advice primarily because I want to use this opportunity to watch a kick-rear end movie I have never seen.

There is a documentary up on Instant now called Nobody's Perfect which is about people who were born with physical defects from thalidomide. I haven't seen it, but it might fulfill your criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Watched Smoke Signals the other night - I never saw it when it first came out but in college I got pretty into Sherman Alexie's stuff. The movie was very good.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Big Centipede posted:

I just watched this and it was awesome. I'd heard of the Toynbee tiles before, but I never knew how close people had come to discovering the tiler. Give it a chance people.

Yes everyone watch this, it's great.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Jellymouth posted:

The best part about this show is in the title. He basically drops himself into the setting with a camera crew and no predetermined location or plan at all. Ya know, no reservations. If you're like me and hate touristy stuff then this show really lets you see the real side of the cuisine and culture in the places he visits.

To contribute: The Thief and the Cobbler is available instantly. You really need to see it if you haven't. Its truly a masterpiece of animation.

Prepare to be disappointed. This is the completely dismembered version with the awful Matthew Broderick voice-over.

Watch this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7vNxGpa7E

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That Mitchell & Webb Look! It's zany! It's British! It's so British that there are jokes making fun of snooker, and the Welsh!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It kind of amazed me that it never dawned on them what happened (and why) to some of the people who lived at the real Versailles.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

existenz is up now. If you like Cronenberg, disturbing body horror images, Willem Dafoe and Jennifer Jason Leigh go check it out. I avoided it when it was in theaters because I didn't know Cronenberg directed it and it sounded like a cheesy B movie trying to cash in on the popularity of gaming, then I just saw it for the first time within the last year or so and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

Speaking of Willem, I just checked out The Hunter, really nice slow burn thriller.

eXistenZ is indeed awesome. I'm not even a big Cronenberg fan because I have such a weak stomach, but I loved it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched some Doc Martin today because Netflix has been sticking Martin Clune's kinda-weird-looking face in my recommendations for months now, and I might as well get it over with...

And you know, it was actually pretty entertaining. Something about the townspeople reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks.

(Which is also on Netflix, so watch that poo poo too, if you haven't already. If you've already seen it, watch it again).

Yeah Doc Martin is hella cute. It's kind of like House only the protagonist isn't mean, just kind of :spergin:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Jellymouth posted:

Samurai Jack
For those who aren't familiar with it, its a heavily stylized animated action/adventure series that premiered on Cartoon Network. It follows a samurai sent forward in time by Aku (a dangerous, yet odd and sort-of naive demon) to a bizarre futuristic world ruled by said demon. Apparently, some people consider it to be "anime", but don't let that deter you. The animation is refreshingly unique and stylish, and the design blends elements of caricature and cartoon with gritty sci-fi noire and fantasy landscapes.
Screencaps:

FYI all that poo poo is by Scott Wills
http://animationbgs.blogspot.com/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

wormil posted:

I recently discovered Poirot and have been burning through episodes. Do they ever add new seasons (series)?

Also, Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

EAT IT CUMBERBATCH.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Poopinstein posted:

Drop everything and watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Right now. That's a classic!
:woop:Bragging rights, my late grandfather played the security guard who gets killed with pies.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
:siren:MOVIE SIGN:siren:
The following episodes of MST3K were just added:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Warrior of the Lost World
Night of the Blood Beast
The Unearthly
The Atomic Brain
Gamera vs. Barugon

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Cop Land is a pretty good action/thriller.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Some good Travel Channel stuff on Amazon Prime, too. Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, old episodes of Samantha Brown. Plenty of old-school Nickelodeon shows. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for when the world becomes too much.

Kids in the Hall Season 1 moved to Amazon now.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Stolen Seas, the documentary about piracy in Somalia, was excellent. Thoughtful, even-handed, and went to some really interesting places. Most importantly, it contains interviews with a number of Somalis (including some pirates) instead of just making them anonymous scary men with guns.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

What the poo poo is this?
Yeah that description made me feel hella old :saddowns:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Neo Helbeast posted:

Watched Glow: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, it was pretty good and slightly depressing.
This was great, and yes, equal parts :smith: and :unsmith:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

canyoneer posted:

Go watch Das Boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Animale posted:

While Drew Struzan is a wonderful artist, I felt the movie was a bit too self-congratulatory. The part that was most interesting to me was him getting swindled by his former business partner but the movie sadly didn't spend much time on that before moving to his next art gig.

Agreed. I found it also kind of hilarious that Struzan's "personal" artwork is so horribly tacky that it all looks like stuff your weird aunt would buy at a warehouse store to hang over her fake fireplace.

• Locked thread