Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LivesInGrey posted:

Can I get some recommendations for recent-ish (let's say since 2000) paranormal or horror things that aren't shakycam/found footage? Please no vampires/werewolves/other monsters unless there's something really interesting about the way they're shown. The same goes for slasher/serial killer films. Documentaries about creepy poo poo work too. So do psychological thrillers. I guess I want to watch a movie or show that leaves me wondering what the overall reason for the events is as much as one that scares or unnerves me. I can watch things on Amazon Instant Video too, if they're free for Prime members.

Is language a deal breaker? Spanish horror films I've found, in general, are really interesting. The Orphanage stuck with me for a while, as did Pan's Labyrinth. It's "found footage" but the original [REC] was actually well done.

Suicide Circle/Suicide Club from Japan is really weird/creepy too.

(edit)

I have no idea if any of these are Netflix or Prime, they were just what first came to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

There's a documentary added recently called Dark Girls that's seriously :smith: but good. The scene with the dark skinned little girl pointing to the white girl as the pretty and smart girl and the dark girl as the ugly and stupid girl is so upsetting.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Korean action/suspense flick called Committed on Netflix. It's about a North Korean spy, it's so loving good. Watch it right now.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

pizza cat posted:

Can we request TV recommendations? My husband and I like to watch TV after work. However, he works a very emotionally draining job, and most of the good stuff out there today is really grimdark. Anyone have any recommendations for light-hearted or funny shows available to stream? We recently marathoned through Psych and loved it. Already seen 30 Rock and the like.

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Netflix Uk has That Mitchell and Webb Look, which after several re-watchings still cracks me up. Peep Show (same guys) is on Netflix UK and US.

(edit)

And then you will understand all the David Mitchell jokes in PYF.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm trying to but it's not showing up for me, maybe it's not available in the US?

edit: I think you mean Commitment.

You are correct.

Today I watched Violet & Daisy, which I also thought was good for every different reasons. Saoirse Ronan (lead in Hanna) is very good and it and James Gandolfini got me a little choked up. Also assassins dressed as nuns.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

wormil posted:

I know it isn't entirely Netflix fault but their selection continues to degrade. If it weren't for a few tv series I would probably drop the service. I spend way more time on Amazon now.

I haven't noticed this, do you watch double region or just US/UK?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I watched Lady Vengeance last night. It was pretty good, it took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on but once I was in, it was great. Kind of a Girl With the Dragon Tattoo feel, minus the female lead getting assaulted every 5 minutes.

Bad Santa is being added this month and I firmly feel everyone should see it at least once.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've been using InstantWatcher http://instantwatcher.com/ to find new things. I watched Masquerade last night. Hoooooly poo poo it was beautiful. The sets and costuming were great, the actors charismatic, perfect balance of cheeky and emotional.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Whispering Machines posted:

The Sacrament is up on Netflix Instant. Ti West flick with AJ Bowen and Joe Swanberg. It's essentially a retelling of Jonestown, so it's pretty hosed up.

v Yeah, I think it's like 150-300ish in the movie, and nearly 1000 in real life. Initially I was wondering why they bothered to make a movie inspired by it when the real story is horrifying and tragic enough, but aside from that I thought it was pretty drat good.

I just finished this and it's legitimately disturbing. I think it's the first thing with Eli Roth involved* (he produced) I haven't thought was gratuitous and for a fakeumentary it's really excellent.

*Inglourious Basterds doesn't count

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Hey guys, don't watch Revolution. Two episodes in and I hate everyone in it.

My parents watch it, which is generally a bad sign. They like that lovely not Jurassic Park but aliens or monsters or whatever that sound like it show too.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I feel very mixed about Snowpiercer. I liked it kind of, but I wouldn't watch it again and some of the reveals were...abrupt. I agree with the above that I think it suffered from being condensed.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Third and final season of Borgia just recently came up. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Not to be confused with The Borgias, which sucks. The best way I can describe Borgia is it really strongly reminds me of all those historical tv miniseries that used to be on Masterpiece Theater in the 90's, but with more sex and violence. If that sounds like something you'd like check it out today.

This is 100% accurate and if you only ever gave the Jeremy Irons one a shot you're missing out because this one is a thousand times better.

(edit)

vvv Holy poo poo, I've played through New Vegas with Legion alliance like 20 times and I did not even notice. :aaa:

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

I'm thinking of getting into The Tudors. Is it worth it?

In short, no. It's not very good even if you turn your history brain off.

• Locked thread